Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:12 am 

Tuesday, May 27
It is the first morning that we wake up at the beach so what better thing to do? Eat at GOLDEN GRIDDLE! :mrgreen: Bacon, eggs, home fries, pancakes and waffles. Never had a bad experience.
After breakfast we went to the pools before enjoying a small lunch at the condo of ham sandwiches, chips and leftover Georgios. Michelle, of course, had to add Italian dressing to her sandwich. After lunch it was back to the pools for more fun.
It was date night, so we headed out around 4:30 to catch the early bird specials at Miyabi Japanese Steakhouse. We visit this place just about every time at the beach. Riley was only 2 the first time she went to a Japanese steakhouse, so we wanted her to experience it again. She loved it! Being the only child at our table, she got special attention during the show. The rest of the week she talked about wanting to go back. The wife and I had steak and chicken and little miss Riley had chicken. You get a mountain of food for around $17. Even the $10 child's plate has a ton of food.
We saved a little room for dessert and hit the Dairy Hut to split a hot fudge sundae. It was nice to sit in the rocking chairs and enjoy ice cream with a Cherry Grove ocean breeze. Man was I glad to being staying in Cherry Grove again! So many memories staying in this section of beach. It just does not feel right staying anywhere else.
We are big fans of playing on the beach in the evenings, so we got out of our date clothes and suited up for the ocean.
It was high tide when we stepped foot on what little beach was left. They may have to shoot more sand in before too long. There was enough room to get the safety vehicles through and that was about it. We stayed until it got dark, playing in the waves and making pools in the sand for mommy to sit in.
With a trip planned for Calabash the next day, we called it a night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:23 pm 

Love it!! Can't wait to hear about your trip to Calabash!! We have one planned when we come down on the 22nd!! We have never been before! :nanner:

Bay View-2008
Laquinta Inn 48th-2013
Mariners Cove-2014

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:38 pm 

I love that your report is mostly Cherry Grove, the best beach EVER! The Dairy Hut, Golden Griddle, Cherry Grove ocean breeze...sigh :sunny:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Your wife and daughter are both cute as can be, and I hope the remainder of your vacation will be terrific!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:39 pm 

Just a quick side note before continuing on. Though last week was our anniversary trip, today is our actual anniversary! Love ya BABER!
Enough with the mushy stuff. On we go!

Wednesday, May 28
I have a serious confession to make and one that will be stunning for many of you. Feel free to ridicule me about what I am about to say. My wife has already taken jabs at me. Here goes. I did not eat the French toast special at Golden Griddle. :oops: Instead, I went to Hardee's for a sausage and gravy biscuit. :shock: I would have gotten the French toast had we gone, but the two gals decided to stay home for breakfast. I do not like eating alone in a restaurant, so I just picked up breakfast and ate on the balcony. Not only did my lovely wife ridicule me, she made it clear that I had broken a clear violation of vacation rules. Section C, Rule 5 clearly states that while on vacation, we will not eat at an establishment that we have back home. If you do, you are subject to a stern look when returning home. Well, we have a Hardee's back home so I got the look. :BandHead: It was a mistake I will never make again.
After the tainted breakfast, we visited the pools and lazy river on the 9th floor. After about an hour, we decided to head across the street to check out the pools at the oceanfront tower.
We got washed up and headed out for Calabash for the afternoon.
We visit Calabash just about every year and generally eat at Beck's Seafood for those to-die-for hushpuppies. But Michelle wanted to try a new place and we visited the Boundary House. They have some great lunch specials for $8.95 that will fill you up. I had the half prime rib sandwich that comes with Au Jus and a side. Michelle had a Monte Cristo sandwich while Riley had a cheese quesidilla. We really enjoyed it and will return again.
We made a quick visit to Callahan's and the Christmas store. If you have never been to the Christmas store at Callahan's, you need to. It is a beautiful place with thousands upon thousands of ornaments and decorations.
A few weeks ago, a fellow sports writer told me about the Calabash Creamery. The beach and ice cream go together like peanut butter and jelly, so we left Callahan's and drove about a tenth of a mile up the road to see for ourselves. Sometimes tips like that just do not pan out, but boy did Calabash Creamery deliver. I had a scoop of peanut butter chocolate, Michelle had a coconut ice cream of some sort, and Riley had the cotton candy flavor. We left as a happy group.
The plan was to go down to the waterfront at Little River, but Riley fell asleep in the car on the way there. My dad would take me down to watch the boats come in all the time. He passed away in '99 and I have not been back since. I hope to someday carry on that tradition with my kids.
Since Riley already had a head start on naps, we all decided to rest for the afternoon. With the sleepy heads still snoozing at 5:30, I decided to fix supper. With BLT's on the menu, I knew the aroma of bacon would wake them up. Sure enough, they dragged out of bed and began snatching strips of bacon. Somehow, bacon just tastes better at the beach.
We again suited up for an evening on the beach. This time we decided to break out the glow sticks and made jewelry. Riley looked darling in her necklace and we played until close to 8:30. We enjoyed a little more ice cream I had bought at the store before crashing for the night.
It was at this point in our trip we really began to miss Brody, but we knew he was in good hands and getting all the attention in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:57 pm 

Great report! Can't wait to read the finale!

What's round on the ends and high in the middle? O-HI-O

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:22 pm 

TarHeelboy wrote:
We visit Calabash just about every year and generally eat at Beck's Seafood for those to-die-for hushpuppies. But Michelle wanted to try a new place and we visited the Boundary House.

Becks was our family's favorite for years and years. Now that middle-age has hit me, I can't eat the fried foods anymore. Like you, we tried the Boundary House and loved it! And, it wouldn't be a trip to Myrtle Beach without a trip to Callahan's (especially the Christmas shop).

Thanks so much for the trip report!

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:31 pm 

Thursday, May 29
Our last full day at the beach, but perhaps the best of all.
The gals were a no-show for Golden Griddle again, but I refused to miss out on the breakfast again. Me, myself and I made the short trip to Main Street and dined on pork chops and eggs with home fries. When I got back to the Prince, the girls were dressed in their bathing suits and I promptly slapped on some trunks. We decided on the pools at the other tower after having a great time the day before. Riley had met a boy her age the day before and the two of them found each other again to swim and jump into the pool. I think Riley has it all wrong. She is supposed to let the boys chase after her, but she is the aggressor in these cute little relationships. After a while they parted ways and Riley decided to hang out at the kiddie pool. She played with a couple of kids and I got to know their father who lives in Greensboro, about a 30 minute drive from us back home.
He knew all about where we lived and we discussed high school and professional athletics for a while.
For lunch it was leftover BLT's and ice cream bought at Boulineaus.
I had bought a pound of medium shrimp at Eugene Platts Seafood (highly recommend) after breakfast, so I decided to go ahead and peel and devein them so I could toss them in a marinade of Georgio's Italian dressing.
The plan was to do a little shopping so we took off for Tanger Outlets. No purchases wound up being made other than a traditional plate of Chinese from the Famous Wok in the Food Court. We hardly ever by clothes for ourselves. Shopping is usually done for the kids.
On the way back we stopped in at Barefoot Landing to stroll around and eat ice cream. We visit Maggie Moo's each year, but as we walked up Michelle noticed the name had changed. It is now called Molly's Creamery. It looked very similar to Maggie Moo's but the options did have different names. We overheard the lady working there say everyone asks her what happened to Maggie Moo's. She said the ice cream is exactly the same and I would agree. Though my Raspberry Rollercoaster now had a different name, it tasted great! We will definitely be back.
For a final night we just had to be on the beach again until it got dark. We stayed until a storm chased us back into our rooms. I fired up the frying pan and we enjoyed delicious shrimp on top of our leftover rice and vegetables from Japanese earlier in the week. Riley had seen me deveining the shrimp earlier in the day and said she did not like shrimp. Her mind sure changed as she was stealing off of our plates.
We enjoyed ice cream for desert and after the storm passed, had a pleasant evening on the balcony before calling it a night.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:48 pm 

Wonderful Report :nanner:

I am SHOCKED :lol: No French Toast special on Wednesday. I would have made a large bet that you would have been there. However, that is the joy of vacation being able to do whatever you want to do.

I can't believe that Maggie Moo's is gone. My mom and I had already talked about going Guess we will be giving Molly's Creamery a try, but you know there is nothing like an ice cream shop that makes you feel like a cow :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Love your trip report! So glad we had nice weather for you. Several days this week have been simply perfect!

Sorry to hear about Maggie Moos. We don't get up that way often, but when we do it's on our list of places to stop.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:40 pm 

Great trip report!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:26 pm 

Enjoyed the report.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:24 pm 

Awsome trip report! Thanks for sharing! :sunny:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:15 am 

Friday, May 30
Our vacation has reached its end. :cry: We awoke around 7:30 and began the process of packing and cleaning. For breakfast we finished off the ice cream in the freezer. With checkout at 10, we took our traditional final look off the balcony and said goodbye to our home for the week. Riley even had to stop by to take one more look at the pool.
We got checked out then went to a little oceanfront park beside Towers on the Grove. It is a beautiful spot with nice grass, swings and bathrooms. We got a few pictures of Riley at the park then walked up the ramp to get one more glimpse of the beach.
The plan was to stay in town through lunch, so we went to Barefoot Landing one more time. My grandmother enjoys taffy, so we picked her up some at Wee R Sweets. Riley had some of her own money and wanted to buy herself and brother something. It was so precious when she put her money on the counter. Of course, daddy had to cover the rest since it was not quite enough.
Shortly after 11 we arrived for lunch at Sir Pizza. At first glance this would appear to be a violation of the vacation rules once more since we have one back home. But this one was different. It was a buffet! I had always dreamed of what a Sir Pizza buffet would look like.
They made us any kind of pizza we wanted and the bar also included pasta, soups and salads. They had a dessert cookie dough pizza that was very good. At 6.95 for adults and half price for the child, it was a really good deal.
Our last stop was the gas station to fill up before beginning our 4-hour journey back home.
We stopped in Wallace :roll: one more time and arrived at my mom's about 4:30 to pick up Brody. He was definitely glad to see us. Hugs were plentiful and he made having to come home not so bad.
It was a perfect trip and one we will always remember because of the occasion.
Thanks to everyone for the responses and I hope the trips you all will get to take are just as special.
God Bless and have a great summer!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:24 am 

Here are a few photos from the trip.

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/TarheelBoy1/library/?view=recent&page=1