Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:53 pm 

Zach - I'm not sure what Lexington slaw was, we hadn't ordered it before and the server just told us it wasn't available any longer. Lexington BBQ is good - we've been thru there before!

Karen - if he hadn't been coming out of the restroom, I'd have asked for a photo at least! lol

Ok -- on to today...Tuesday:

Sorry to say, we were even more boring today! lol Up at 6am to watch the sunrise, then just chilled around the condo afterwards - decided around 10am it was warm enough to swim so we suited up and headed down to the pool. Beautiful, sunny, warm day with hardly any clouds. Enjoyed the out door pool until about 1ish. Then we headed up to the condo for snacks and drinks, sat on the balcony for a couple hours people watching and reading. Then we headed back down to the pool. There is a new tiki bar at the Long Bay, we saw it being built last May but it was closed for the season when we went back last October. So this is the first time we've seen it open. Drinks sound yummy - we didn't think bad priced, a Bahama Mama was $6.95 - that's normal to us. But the cups are small! We watched a lot being served today but decided it wasn't worth the costs. They offer a "bucket" for two that's $14.95 and $11.95 for refills...but the buckets are tiny!

After all day in the pool and sunning ourselves, we were hungry. Back up to the room to shower and change...then headed out to Burro Loco. LOVE BL! Every time we go, I get the same thing and it's always so good - the pollo grande. Then a frozen raspberry margarita started the meal off...and ended with the fried ice cream. Total was just over $25 before tip. Love the food, love the drinks and it's a fun atmosphere.

Drove back thru Ocean Blvd on the way to the condo -- LOTS of bikers in town already. We usually don't see many until Thursday, but the streets and bars were full tonight. A lot of the pay for the day parking lots around the SkyWheel were full of bikes.

Finished out the night on the balcony - brr...in sweatshirts tonight, it's breezy and chilly. But still warmer than MI! :sunny:

Sad note: the pool chemicals have eaten my $10 airbrushed turtle tattoo...disappointed, last year it lasted for a month or more after vacation. This year it was gone in a day. That's from the booth by Sweet Carolina's in BATB.

If I can figure out how to include photos, I have some to share.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 pm 

micountrygal wrote:
Zach - I'm not sure what Lexington slaw was, we hadn't ordered it before and the server just told us it wasn't available any longer. Lexington BBQ is good - we've been thru there before!

Karen - if he hadn't been coming out of the restroom, I'd have asked for a photo at least! lol

Ok -- on to today...Tuesday:

Sorry to say, we were even more boring today! lol Up at 6am to watch the sunrise, then just chilled around the condo afterwards - decided around 10am it was warm enough to swim so we suited up and headed down to the pool. Beautiful, sunny, warm day with hardly any clouds. Enjoyed the out door pool until about 1ish. Then we headed up to the condo for snacks and drinks, sat on the balcony for a couple hours people watching and reading. Then we headed back down to the pool. There is a new tiki bar at the Long Bay, we saw it being built last May but it was closed for the season when we went back last October. So this is the first time we've seen it open. Drinks sound yummy - we didn't think bad priced, a Bahama Mama was $6.95 - that's normal to us. But the cups are small! We watched a lot being served today but decided it wasn't worth the costs. They offer a "bucket" for two that's $14.95 and $11.95 for refills...but the buckets are tiny!

After all day in the pool and sunning ourselves, we were hungry. Back up to the room to shower and change...then headed out to Burro Loco. LOVE BL! Every time we go, I get the same thing and it's always so good - the pollo grande. Then a frozen raspberry margarita started the meal off...and ended with the fried ice cream. Total was just over $25 before tip. Love the food, love the drinks and it's a fun atmosphere.

Drove back thru Ocean Blvd on the way to the condo -- LOTS of bikers in town already. We usually don't see many until Thursday, but the streets and bars were full tonight. A lot of the pay for the day parking lots around the SkyWheel were full of bikes.

Finished out the night on the balcony - brr...in sweatshirts tonight, it's breezy and chilly. But still warmer than MI! :sunny:

Sad note: the pool chemicals have eaten my $10 airbrushed turtle tattoo...disappointed, last year it lasted for a month or more after vacation. This year it was gone in a day. That's from the booth by Sweet Carolina's in BATB.

If I can figure out how to include photos, I have some to share.

My kids did a couple of those "stay on a month" tattoos a couple of years ago. One trip to the ocean and pool and we only had half of a tattoo left. We ate Sweet Carolina in June last year and it seems like they were out of a couple of items then too. Another thing I didn't like is that they had a complimentary corn bread that all the other tables had, but wasn't offered to us until we asked for it. Food was okay, but at least stock your menu during tourist season. Enjoy your stay.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:12 am 

So glad you had safe travels.. the drive down is always so exciting!! We have never ate at a BBQ place when there .. I've tried several times but get out voted. We have had California Pizza and dont remember why but didn't care for it BUT we always have Bojangles for our first dinner!! We can't get it at home so before we leave Kingsport heading back to KY we get the family meal to bring home!!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:37 pm 

Back home now and just wanted to finish this report up -- sorry to say, most was a repeat of Monday and Tuesday! lol

Wednesday - we headed out to the Beach House Interiors store to do some shopping. I'm buying a house (my first! so exciting) and wanted to pick up a few items. Spent about an hour walking around - this place is just so cool, so many great decorating ideas! Ended up buying a set of 3 palm tree candle holders and a little fat bathing beauty with a beach ball that is adorable. After shopping, we decided to catch lunch out and then head back to the condo and swim. I had a gift certificate for Thorny's so we headed that way. Until we pull in and see the sign they don't open until 3pm! lol Plan B -- headed to the Landshark instead. We ate here twice last May and once last October and it's just a neat place - great view, good food, and good service. Had the queso and chips and an Incommunicado drink to start, then had a cheeseburger and tots. Everything was great - lots of food, took home half. The drinks are pricy, about $8 and the food is a little pricy, too. But it was good!

Back to the pools/beach for the rest of the day. Ordered another pizza from Ultimate Cali Pizza because we didn't feel like going back out. Enjoyed the night out on the balcony with the waves.

Thursday - our last day...always the saddest day. The weather rocked! I saw 91 on my phone weather app in the afternoon. We decided to spend all day going from the pool to the beach. Just a beautiful, beautiful sunny day we needed to finish vacation. Spent the day soaking up the sun, trying to take some of that warmth back home to MI! lol Lunch was cleaning out the fridge - pizza and leftovers. Then back down to the pool. Headed over to the River City Café for dinner. I had won a $25 gift cert there from posting a picture to their Facebook page and winning the "picture of the month". We made good use of it! Started with a Grape Ape drink and then I had a grilled ham and cheese and mozz sticks. And the peanuts, remembered to grab them when we walked in this time so we got some! Love those peanuts!

Went back to the room to start packing. Lots of people checking in for biker week - things were getting really rowdy at the pool, so we didn't go back down. We decided after hauling down a load to start packing the car, we'd head out to BATB to Sweet Carolina's and get a piece of key lime pie. We hadn't had any all week and it sure sounded good! And...it was a bit disappointing. It didn't really have much taste at all, but the raspberry sauce was awesome.

Drove back down Joe White to the Boardwalk for a last drive down the blvd. BIG MISTAKE! lol Holy cow - tons and tons of bikers all over and the traffic was horrendous! It took us over 45 minutes to get back to the hotel. I have never seen so many cops either! All with bullet proof vests, even the cops on bicycles. And I don't think I've ever seen so many folks just hanging out in the streets - off balconies, out in parking lots, walking down the medians, just crazy amount of people. Every hotel/restaurant had security guards sitting at the parking lot entrances/exits blocking the bikers. We had them at the LBR and had to show our parking pass before we could enter the parking lot. It was almost scary - I made a mention while driving thru there it was like driving thru Saginaw and kept waiting for someone to start shooting. We have been going this week since 2005 and it's never been this bad. We were glad to be checking out Friday am.

About 12:30am, the fireworks started on the beach. Black cat crackers going off in huge blocks, big canons -- not little bottle rockets or sparklers...the big stuff. I got up and was watching from the balcony because it sounded like they were being shot right at the hotel. After about 45 minutes, there was a big boom and screaming -- and then I noticed the dune grasses and sea oats in front of the hotel were on fire. Called the front desk and they said they had it under control. Saw 3 people running thru the pool area and one guy had a fire extinguisher. They must have gotten things put out because I didn't see a fire truck. Made for an eventful and not a good restful night. We packed up and headed out at 8am Friday morning. As we were pulling into the parking garage to check out, two police cars were in the median and in the garage. I don't know what was going on, asked the front desk and she didn't either - said there had been all kinds of trouble in the night and morning and she was just hoping the weekend went fast. I asked about the fire in the night but she didn't know anything about that - said it scared her something like that would happen there.

Over all -- it was one of the best MB vacations we've had. The condo was amazing -- the restaurants were great -- the shopping was fun -- and the weather was phenomenal!! It was the most restful vacation I think we've had there. Everything was perfect, until Thursday when it started getting crazy.