Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:52 pm 

Live trip report! :cheerleader: So excited to be here!

We left Saturday from Michigan and drove down to Mooresville, NC. 12 hour drive, pulled in around 10pm and stayed at the Sleep Inn. This is where we always stop - nice, clean hotel and a Sonic just down the street. Had Cracker Barrel (saw Bobby Allison there!) for breakfast, met up with a friend that lives there and headed out for MB Sunday around noon.

Got into town and it was raining so we decided to skip checking in and drive down to Murrell's Inlet to shop and eat lunch. They were tearing down from all the bike week festivities down the Inlet and lots of people all around. All the restaurants looked packed so we stopped at the Lazy Gator to do some shopping first. Spent about an hour in there and it was about 6ish - we drove to CreekRatz but there wasn't any parking, so we decided to head back and check into the hotel.

We're at the Long Bay Resort again this year, in the Savoy Building. On the 2nd floor - we haven't been this low before and I didn't think we were going to be happy, but the condo is GORGEOUS! It must have been very recently remodeled - still smells new and everything is beautiful. The nicest condo we've stayed in here at the LBR. The view is amazing - being on the lower floor isn't too bad!

Called to have Ultimate California Pizza delivered - 2 mediums, a cheese bread and an order of breadsticks was about $45. SO GOOD! We have had UCP every year for dinner the first night in town. Total tradition and it is one of those "ahh - we've arrived in MB" memories!

Monday - up early with the sun to watch the sunrise...then back to bed for a nap - making up for a couple long days driving! It was warm for us - 67ish but still too chilly for swimming, so we headed out to Broadway at the Beach. Walked around and did some shopping - had a stop at Wee R Sweets for taffy! Then I got a sea turtle airbrush tattoo - it's so cute and only $10, usually lasts about a month. Had lunch at Sweet Carolina's - our third time there. The bbq chicken and pork is really tasty and I like you can pick your own sauce. Little disappointed with the sides this year - they don't have hush puppies or the Lexington slaw anymore. They don't offer baked taters before 4pm (or sweet taters). We ordered mashed potatoes and gravy - only the server came back and said they were out for the day. So we had fries - not good at all. But the BBQ is still really good! $16.99 for 2 meats and 2 sides.

Came back to the hotel and swam the rest of the afternoon. Dinner was leftover UCP pizza and we enjoyed it on the balcony. Beautiful, but chilly, night But still warmer than home in Michigan! lol

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Love live reports! so glad you rrived safely and it sonds like yoju're off to a great start!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:19 pm 
Forum Support

:nanner: Live trip report! Glad you had a safe trip down!

How cool that Bobby Allison was at the Cracker Barrel. If you don't mind me asking, how much was your room at the Sleep Inn? Being All-Star weekend, I'm surprised they don't jack up the price!

UCP is just so good! No words... I love their variety of pizzas!

Which building at LB is the Savoy Building?

Looking forward to your next installment!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:04 pm 

Thank you so much!!! I think we all could use a live trip report about now :hello: !!
True confession time...have never eat Ultimate California Pizza, nope never. Hear about it all the time on this board but we have never gotten there. Maybe it will happen next trip!

Enjoy yourselves and keep the updates coming please!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:12 pm 

Thanks so much for taking the time to do a live report. I needed a MB fix and all the board activity the last couple of days has helped. Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep posting.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:32 pm 

I know ya'll are hungry for a trip report -- sorry we haven't done anything more interesting to write about! lol

The Sleep Inn was $122 - it's not that much higher than normal, they are pretty steady in all the years we've stayed there. I saw Bobby Allison walking out of the rest room while we were waiting to be called for a seat...I didn't want to stalk him from the potty, so just said hello as he walked by us. Then they called his party - we giggled a bit that they even make Bobby Allison wait for a table on a busy Sunday morning after church! lol

The Savoy is the smaller - 6 stories - building in front of the main tower of the LBR. We love this building - it has it's own parking lot, no garage to worry about and assigned parking spots. The room is a lot closer to the beach than the main building, and it has it's own pool area, too. Less crowded.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:27 am 

Always enjoy reading your trip reports. Enjoy your trip, hope the weather is good for you. Looking forward to your next installment.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:47 am 

Great report! I have no idea who Bobby Allison is but glad you got to see him/her.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:18 am 

Love the trip report! I really like reading people's first night traditions! We always get take our at Jimmy's. Then relax in the room and soak up the fact that we have arrived! :nanner:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:08 am 

phroggy wrote:
Great report! I have no idea who Bobby Allison is but glad you got to see him/her.

LOL!! That is so funny! I didn't have a clue either so I Googled him...Former NASCAR driver :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:10 am 

That explains it, Emmy. Watching NASCAR is like watching paint dry. To each their own though. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by phroggy on Wed May 21, 2014 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:13 am 

Loved the part where you got up to watch the sun rise and then went back to bed. Oh the joys of vacation!!!

Loving your report :cool:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:25 am 

Kudos to you for doing a live trip report! It is awesome to hear what you are doing while you are still there. Is the Lexington slaw you are referring to a red slaw? I grew up in Lexington and live one town over now. Lexington barbecue and slaw is a real treat for sure. Hope you enjoy the remainder of your trip. It gets me excited for my trip next week. :nanner:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:17 pm 

Yay!!!! Love live trip reports!!! I admire you for not stalking Bobby Allison! Don't know if I could have shown such restraint! :D

Karen in Upstate SC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:33 pm 

Yeah! A trip report! Enjoy your stay.