Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trip report
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:51 pm 

Hi all! Just rolled into North Myrtle Beach Saturday the 10th and have done loads of errands. I wanted to add a few things to the condo to give it a breath of fresh air. No joke, I went to Pier One, World Market, T.J. Max, Big Lots, Roses, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Tuesday Morning, etc., etc., etc. so many times buying things and returning things that didn't work out that I have not made it to the beach all week. I feel like I am working with a huge learning curve since I have never owned a rental property. It is a weird juxtaposition in what items I would love to have as an owner and it's practicality in a rental. We did take a break on Wednesday and decided after a morning of shopping. We were longing for the casual outdoor atmosphere of Captain Poo's. It was around 2:00 in the afternoon on Wednesday. The place was so crowded with Bike Week folks we knew we wouldn't be able to eat for a very long time. We ended up at the Marina bar by the yacht club off of 17 by the shrimp seller. It seemed like a hidden gem with only few regulars and such a friendly staff topped off with a great waterview! It is very close to our condo so we will definitely return. I do need some help with the purchase of a new beach umbrella, umbrella anchor, beach recliners and patio height table and chair set. As for the beach umbrella and anchor, the one we initially bought for the guests is not up to par in the wind. We need a sturdy reliable umbrella and a no fail anchor. I need to buy a couple of lounge chairs but don't know if I should go on the replace every season or the better grade stuff. And if the choice is the better stuff the what IS the better stuff? And finally we need a place to eat
on the patio. We have 4 white chairs to lounge in but would like to provide a small eating space, too. I would like a white patio
height set for 2 but we are on a budget and these things are very pricey. I hope you all will be helpful in my search. I would be
sooo thankful. I have got to say folks here are so much friendlier so much more helpful and much more apt to stop and talk than
anywhere else we have ever lived. We have been in Arizona for 11 years and rarely do folks take the time to talk to while in line at
the store or wherever unless it is to complain about how slow the line is moving so being here is absolutely wonderfully!
Truly,
Maleia
[URL]
[/URL]

Sent from my iPad using tapatalk
Maleia

Post subject: Re: Trip report
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:33 pm 

Sounds like you have been busy, but a fun kind of busy. Enjoy your stay and don't forget to check in :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:17 pm 

Always dreamed of having our own place down there. Only way we were ever going to do it would be as a rental. Just never had the guts to take that leap. I envy you.
Might pull up a realtor site and search interior pictures of similar condos. See what goes with what. Might see what you've envisioned and then decide if will work in yours. Might save you a lot of trial and error trips to the store.
Maybe some of the others can chime in with their opinions. I think you could save time, worry and expense by shelving your plans of a beach umbrella and chairs for your renters.
We've never had a rental that supplied them. Maybe a cheap set left by previous renter. Just seems to me no matter how nice of a set up you buy. It probably won't make it through the season and then you're back to square one. The mid-range ones we buy last 6-8 trips. That would be 8 weeks if used every week by your guests. If a piece breaks or comes up missing it might be weeks before you know about it. No way to know for sure which guest was responsible.
Buy a decent set for yourself and keep it locked in your storage closet. Let the guests worry about their own. If the anchor fails or chair collapses it's their problem. Not yours.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:18 pm 

Thanks for the report. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:31 am 

You really should pay attention to craigslist. While you are a newbie with a rental property, there are always folks getting away from owning them as well. They probably have some decent used stuff to get you by for a year or two until you can upgrade. Congrats on your first unit. I hope it works out well for you.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:37 am 

Maleia wrote:
We ended up at the Marina bar by the yacht club off of 17 by the shrimp seller. It seemed like a hidden gem with only few regulars and such a friendly staff topped off with a great waterview! It is very close to our condo so we will definitely return.
Truly,
Maleia

This sounds interesting! We are always looking for a laid back local place! Can you remember the name by chance? Thanks and enjoy the rest of your stay!!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for posting this report.

My neighbor finds the most amazing items of furniture/art/decorating items at area consignment shops. I have stopped asking "Where did you find that perfect (piece of furniture)" because I know what she's going to say. Here's a list. Worth a look!

http://www.yellowpages.com/myrtle-beach ... ment-shops

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:41 am 

Thanks for the report !

Here's the umbrella anchor we use, seems to work real well:

http://www.shadeusa.com/beach_umbrella_ ... andgrabber

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:20 pm 
Forum Support

Try looking for items on the facebook groups. I know a girl from Loris who finds all kinds of stuff on Buy/Sell/Free groups on Facebook. I'm talking good furniture on the cheap, appliances, fixtures, etc. Its mostly moms and a lot safer then Craigslist.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:39 pm 

Sun n' Fun wrote:
Maleia wrote:
We ended up at the Marina bar by the yacht club off of 17 by the shrimp seller. It seemed like a hidden gem with only few regulars and such a friendly staff topped off with a great waterview! It is very close to our condo so we will definitely return.
Truly,
Maleia

This sounds interesting! We are always looking for a laid back local place! Can you remember the name by chance? Thanks and enjoy the rest of your stay!!

I also would love to hear the name of this place. Sounds like my kind of place.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 pm 

Wow you guys really came through for me. So I have been to lots of consignment stores, thanks Patrish, loads of fun. I have ordered the sand grabber umbrella anchor, beach chairs and umbrella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:01 pm 

Sorry I accidentally pressed send. I am now searching craigslist and Facebook for the small patio dining set. You guys are the best. You have freed me up to spend some time at the beach. My morning routine is this. I drive to Tiger Mart Exxon station, because I love it when they say 'welcome to Tiger Mart' in that sweet southern accent. It makes my day! And get a coffee then head to the public parking at 2nd and ocean drive then walk to cherry grove pier and back. And all the other walkers are so nice they all say good morning as we pass. The place we went for lunch that Wednesday is marina bar and grill at dock holidays, the address is 1525 13th ave n in NMB. We also went to Harold's on the beach on Saturday afternoon. Love that place. Thanks so so much to all of you for your help. Southern hospitality is the best.
Truly
Maleia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:19 pm 

Maleia,

A shout out Hello from my husband an AZ native, Scottsdale / N Px. Read a couple of your recent posts, too busy to chime in. Posts from fellow board members echo our sentiments. Cheaper, sometimes the better, especially if it gives you times on the beach.

Enjoy your pride and joy.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:47 pm 

Maleia,

Next time you are in town, try Old Time Pottery in Surfside. Tons of things to supply and decorate your place with there.

MichaelB

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:16 pm 

You might want to try Ollie's off of 501W( Before the Tangers Outlet),we stop this past Feb and thought it was pretty neat. They had a lot of everything. Can't remember the exact address but you can Google it.