Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sea Watch April 12 -19
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:49 pm 

Our crew...myself, hubby, and girls age 9 and 7....we live in MD. We have never really been to Myrtle Beach except once when we lived in Charleston and drove up for a couple days (we were about 22/23 at the time and only remember there was a ton of mini golf!).

Day 1 arrival
We arrived 430pm Saturday after a long drive down trafficy I-95. We have never seen I-95 like this southbound past DC. It was stop and go VA through NC. We had to get off I-95 a bit early to avoid excessive traffic before Fayetteville. The 10 hour drive should not have taken more than 8....lesson learned, never leave at 630am, just leave 4am like we do when we go to Disney! We had to pick up our key at Condo World, then we head to Sea Watch. We are renting through a VRBO owner.

We got to the room which looked nice and head to the beach from about 5:30 to 7pm. Then off to Fresh Market for some groceries and to Steak and Shake for a "quick" dinner which took almost 2 hours! Lets just say we will not be returning. 45 minutes to get our check and to pay....craziness! Back to the condo to sleep and get ready for Sunday, our first full day.

Day 2
Sunday was BEAUTIFUL. We went to the 9:15 Palm Sunday Mass at St. Andrews which was nice (crowded and long but expected). Back to the condo to change and we hit the pool first, then beach. Our crazy girls went into the icy ocean! Lots of sunshine today :) We went to Mr. Fish for dinner which was decent. It gets good reviews and it was fine, nothing special. The waitress was tired. I got fried shrimp, broiled flounder, and salad....hubby had the same but blackened flounder. Girls had grilled cheese/mac and cheese and salad. We shared a giant hot brownie w ice cream...wow that was delicious! Back to the condo for some needed rest!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:24 pm 

I heard the same thing from friends about I95 on Saturday. Sounds like maybe you were right there amongst them. Enjoy your stay!

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hope you are enjoying your vacation. Today was nice, but by 6 PM we could feel the cooler wind start blowing.
How do you like Sea Watch? I have heard good things about it. Hope you have a nice room!

It is supposed to get cold tonight, and of course the locals are pissed. This should NOT be happening in the middle of April! Low tonight of 41. Wally was not taking any chances so he went out and covered the tomatoes, green peppers, etc.

Looking forward to hearing more about your vacation!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:12 pm 

Our friends at home were laughing at us that came down here, because yesterday, it was warmer there in upstate NY, than it was here in MB. They had 80 degrees yesterday!

But, we have the last laugh. As cool as it will get here in MB tonight, it won't get as bad as it will at home. They went from 80 degrees yesterday, to below freezing, and 2-3 inches of snow tonight!

Well, well.

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 pm 

I always try to leave at least by 4 am when heading to the beach. It's nice to at least get in a good two or three hours of easy driving with little traffic on the road. It's miserable to sit in traffic knowing that you are losing time that you could be sitting on the beach. Thanks for the report and enjoy the trip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:37 pm 

Sounds nice so far!!! The cooler weather is rolling in here in MD. It's only in the 30's today. It was 80 on sunday.. *sigh*.. a cool day at beach is better than a cool day at home!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:04 pm 

Day 3
On Monday we went down to the beach around 930am, the weather was pleasant but the clouds rolled in quickly. It didn't stop the girls from playing in the ocean though! We spent a few hours here and then grabbed the sandwiches from our room and went to the pool. It was chilly so the hot tubs really came in handy for me and hubby.

For dinner we wanted Mexican so we went to Abuelos. I guess this is a chain but we don't live near one so we gave it a try. It was very good, excellent margaritas, good queso dip for the girls, great enchiladas, kids food was good, they served a few different salsa's with excellent light and crispy tortilla chips.

We decided to hit Broadway at the Beach before we went back to Sea Watch. I loved the BATB atmosphere! We went to Wee R Sweets for some taffy, fudge and salted caramel and went into some shops. Overall the area was pleasantly busy, not crowded. I was imagining what it must be like in the summer with more people and was happy to be here now!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

There a lot of chains that we frequent here. Abuelos and Bonefish Grill are a couple of our favorites. Broadway at the Beach is a fun place. Yes...it gets really crowded in the summer, but that doesn't bother me... I love to see our visitors having such a great time.

I'm so sorry it got cold for you. We had to cover the stuff in our little garden last night and tonight.....hope this will be the end of the cold spell!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a trip report. I've really been enjoying it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:10 am 

Sounds like you are having a good time. BATB is always a nice way to spend some time. Too bad the weather wasn't warmer but a huge benefit of the area is there is so much to do when you can't do the beach. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:41 pm 

So it seems you are enjoying Myrtle Beach :lol: I had a huge smile on my face reading about how you enjoyed BATB. I hope we have won you over. Thanks for sharing with us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:12 am 

Day 4
Tuesday was supposed to rain all day so we decided to go out for breakfast and do some shopping. We went to Dinos for breakfast, YUM! Nice place with great food and happy people, score! Pancakes (including choco chip) eggs, french toast, all yummy. I have a picture but I cant figure out how to put it in the post right now from my phone.

We decided to stop at Barefoot Landing to hit a few shops on the way back to Sea Watch. Unfortunately our 9 year old was being difficult and would not get out of the car! So I took our 7 year old in to a store to find a souvenir spoon for my mom and then we left (will return on thursday).

This was an indoor pool day! The indoor pool seemed fine, smelled the chlorine but it was not terrible. I sat and started tapping out my trip report while hubby swam with the girls.

We decided we would treat the girls to that CA Pizza Playzone place. We arrived and it was not crowded but we had to wait to get a card to play. The attendant there was alone and completely miserable doing his job. No smile, no hello, just blank stares. Finally we were able to play some games. The place was OK, but no workers in sight to help the many people who seemed to need help with various machines that were not working. It started to get crowded and loud so we figured we would sit and get some pizza, even though we really had enough of the place, we were very thirsty. We waited again on line for the miserable worker to find out it was a 30- 40 minute wait so we left and went to Duffy's Seafood Shack.

LOVED Duffys!!!!! I guess there are multiple locations but we went to the one that was very close to Sea Watch. Shrimp Po Boys for myself and hubby, big burger for youngest daughter, and our 9 year old had a crab cake (off the appetizer menu). All delicious in a laid back atmosphere with peanut shells all over the place and a friendly waitress! Great way to end the day!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:27 am 

sounds great! I LOVE Abuelo's! We don't have them here and other than the one in MB, I've never even heard of it. No idea it was a chain!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:19 pm 

Day 5
Wednesday was COLD. I am not sure why I chose this day to take a morning walk on the beach! My husband ran every morning at about 6am so it was my turn to have some peace. It was a frigid walk but beautiful nonetheless.

We went down to the indoor pool in the morning. This time the chlorine was excessive. My eyes were burning and I didnt even get them wet. I went out to the hot tub in the sun so I could breath. Air temp was in the 40s, and eventually made it into the 50s. We spent a couple hours here, took, showers, ate lunch, and decided it was a good day for Family Kingdom.

On our way to FK we stopped at the Donut Man because hubby needed coffee and I read reviews and really wanted to check it out. So glad we did! My daughter wanted a bacon, egg, and cheese croissant. I tried it and it was delicious! The donuts were amazing as well, what a great place, I highly recommend it!

Family Kingdom was good, the girls really enjoyed it. It was small for the price. Luckily our 7 year old was still game for some of the kiddie rides and my husband took the 9 year old on the big coaster a couple of times. There were some family rides but not too many. I spoke with a ride attendant and she said in the summer the lines are 30 to 90 minutes long, even the kiddie rides can have huge waits. It was pretty much walk on for us and I do not think I would return during big crowds. Nonetheless, the girls were happy so we were happy!

On the way back to the condo we head west a bit out of the way to Ginos Real NY Pizza. I have read that a good pizza place (as in NY style) could not be found in Myrtle Beach. But I have always found (often after much searching) decent pizza everyplace we have lived and everyplace we have visited....so I was on the hunt and Ginos did not disappoint! I am from north Jersey originally and I can tell you this pizza was GOOD!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:16 pm 

I just realized I never finished the trip report!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

It's never too late to write or finish a trip report. Glad you found one of the local favorites - Donut man. Thanks for taking the time to write a trip review!