Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 am 

Day 3 - Saturday

Woke to another beautiful day, but saw the full week forecast first thing on the TV. Looks like today, and tomorrow (Sunday), will be it for the nice weather. Oh well, get it while I can, right?

Had a light breakfast in the lobby, as I wanted to look and feel my slimmest tonight, as Amy and I decided to have a date night - first time on a Saturday night in MB. We then went for a nice walk on the beach, down to Springmaid Pier and back. We headed right out for the pool area, and got some quality sun time. I knew I had to do this early, as Jack and I planned a little field trip for the afternoon.

My son Jack is a Junior in HS, and is a pretty good athlete. He is looking at colleges of course, and they are looking at him, especially for track and field. I happened to find out that Coastal Carolina was having a meet at their campus for Saturday afternoon, and we decided to head over and check it out. Jack loved the campus there, even though their track facility was a little to be desired at the college level - let's just say the college puts its money in the football and baseball facilities, more than into the track! Anyway, we saw what we wanted to see, and talked with some people, and Jack came away with some great information to digest for his future.

Got back about 3:30 or so. Jack went off to be with his friends, so Amy, Griff, and I walked over to a couple of Eagles, Wings, and Pacific stores, and got some ice cream on the way. Walked back down the beach to our hotel, and then came up and fixed a little dinner in our suite. Griff went off to play with friends about 8pm, and Amy and I headed out for our date night.

I had seen a site on the internet that was a wine bar, and they had two locations, one on 21st north, and another at Market Commons. We decided to head over to the Market Commons site, and thought we might stroll around the shops there as well. Well, the place turned out to be out of business there, so we walked around a bit and finally settled at the bar at Gordon Biersch. I had a tonic with lime, and she had a nice red wine. What a nice night out it was, less wind than either of the previous nights, and a strong dose of humidity to make it feel a little summery!

We left the MC and decided to try to find the site on 21st Ave N. We found it, parked somehow, and went in. It's called the Coastal Wine Boutique. It was....interesting. Service was very friendly, though sporadic. In the end, after Amy had her wine, we headed out.

We decided to let our hair down a bit, and headed to Celebrations Court at BATB. We paid the one price cover charge that got us entry into 4 different bars. We danced, watched the goof-balls, and had a great time! We got home about 1am.

Long Day!

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:31 pm 

Sounds like you are having a great time Rick! We arrived yesterday late afternoon. It was beautiful today, I am hoping tomorrow will be nice before the rain and cold front come! I cant wait to read more of your posts :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Rick, I'm sorry you came to Market Common and discovered Coastal Winery had closed. Glad you found Gordon Biersch. We live a stone's throw from the Market Common, so it is usually our first choice when eating out.

BAB has a lot of night spots.Glad you had a good time!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:37 am 

Day 4 - Sunday

Sunday - fun day! And truly, a SUNday if there ever was one! :sunny:

Today was just gorgeous! The key to it all - no wind....none....notta....zilch. At home, when our lake is calm, we often describe the surface as looking like a pane of glass....."it's glass today".....well, the ocean was glass today. Just as smooth and level as can be, until the internal waves broke on shore.

I started off my day with another early breakfast. Nothing like some biscuits and gravy to start a Sunday morning, and I got my week's worth today. Don't need to be doing that again!

We made today a beach day, instead of a pool day. We rented a cabana and chairs, and settled in. I had arranged, through text messages, and a Facebook posting, to create an event on the beach for friends from home. At 1pm, we met at a determined location on the beach, and played the 1st annual Myrtle Beach Low Tide Putt Putt Open! We brought golf putters, a ball each, and a "flag" (a sand shovel that I would stick the handle into the sand) and we played "closest to the pin" for about an hour and a half. It was low tide, so there was plenty of wide, hard sand to play on. We would all take a turn putting our one ball to the flag, and everyone would give a dollar to the person that got the closest on each hole. We had about a dozen people playing at one time, friends staying in hotels all up and down the south beach area, from Caribbean Beach down to Regency Towers. When a hole was complete, we picked the flag up and moved it somewhere else, and began again. Sometimes each "hole" was about 30 or 40 yards away! Because of all of our hooting and hollering, quite a crowd gathered and watched us, too! There were lots of hazards, from bumps in the sand, to puddles of leftover water, to sand pails, kids throwing frizbees, to dogs, and even slow moving older people! Once, a toddler ran across our "fairway" as I was putting, and the ball literally went right between his running feet, just like one of those windmills on a miniature golf course! Tons of fun in the sun!

Finished off the afternoon at our cabana, and then hit the pool for some late afternoon shade and cool down. We watched a bit of the end of The Masters tournament as we showered and got ready to go out to dinner. Jack has had the urge to play some golf, but his friends couldn't, so we took him south to the Tupelo Bay driving range and let him get his frustrations out on a bucket of balls. The rest of us left him there and took a quick tour of the communities of Surfside Beach and Garden City. I can only imagine these communities in the summer time. I bet they are jammed with families, and that some fantastic memories have been made for thousands of families over the years - real throwbacks to traditional "beach communities"!

We got back to Tupelo Bay just in time for Jack to finish, and we decided to head to Murrell's Inlet to try the River City Café there. We all wanted low key, low cost and casual, and this is exactly what we got! LOVED the rustic atmosphere of this location - right out of an old time garage or general store "shack" look. At the table they sat us at, we were right under the air conditioner, and we had to ask to be moved....way too cold! They were great about it, though we had to wait a few minutes for another table to open up, which was fine with us - we just got some peanuts and had at it! Our waitress, Ava, was great - keeping my sweet tea filled up. Griffin and I split an appetizer of Grouper Fingers...outstanding. Jack had the Buffalo Chicken bites, which had a fantastic breaded coating on them. Amy had the Grouper fingers dinner. Griff and I each had a great burger, and their really great fries. All in all a really nice meal, in just the atmosphere we were all looking for, on a really nice warm evening in South Carolina!

We decided to stroll around the Lazy Gator store, across from the "Restaurant Row" of Murrell's Inlet (Bovine's, etc.). We got there just in time for them to kick us out as they were closing. But, we sat on their porch for awhile, watching the crowds going in and out of the restaurants along the marsh walk.

When we got back, the late night from the night before, the early rise in the morning, and the full day of sun and fun had caught up with me, and I had enough. I opened my sliding door that is 2 feet from my bed, crawled into bed, and read something for about 30 seconds before I fell asleep to the pounding waves.

We have been VERY fortunate to have 4 days of really nice weather. We were able to leave home on Wednesday evening, and enjoy Thursday afternoon and evening, and all day of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's nice weather. Many of our friends couldn't leave until Friday, and got here late on Saturday (btw, many of them said the I-95 traffic, and inbound traffic was the worse they have ever seen - and it's wasn't even Easter weekend!). So, we feel thankful for all that we were able to get, weather-wise. But, as I write this on Monday morning, I can see the clouds have arrived, and we will have a change in the weather. It looks to be warm today, though cloudy, so I am sure we will still have a great vacation day. Tomorrow brings threats of severe weather, ushering in a cool front for Wednesday. Thursday is probably still up in the air a bit. We will see.

Hmmmm....what will today bring?

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:46 am 

I'll be honest and may even catch some backlash for saying this but here goes anyway. I don't normally enjoy reading other folks' trip reports. I don't know why that is and I do read them regardless just because I like to look for new ideas. But yours, Rick, I'm thoroughly enjoying thus far. Great job and I am looking forward to the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:51 am 

I would have loved to participate in the Putt Putt Open! My brother and I are very competitive and we always play golf on the beach. There is nothing like those putts that break 20 feet off the side of the sand. Throw in a couple random seashells peeking through the sand and it can be very challenging. One time there was a group of people on a balcony at a condo we were playing in front of, that would let out a roar and few claps when we made 50-foot putts. Good Times!!! Thoroughly enjoying the trip report!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:51 pm 

Great report so far!!! Sounds like you and your wife had a nice date night!!!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm 
Forum Support

phroggy wrote:
I'll be honest and may even catch some backlash for saying this but here goes anyway.

No backlash from me. I know I am not a great writer and I think others would say the same things about themselves. We just write about our experiences here as a way of giving back. Because no matter how terrible we are, someone will find something useful from it.

Keep up the good work Rick! :sunny:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:25 pm 

missingthebeach wrote:
phroggy wrote:
I'll be honest and may even catch some backlash for saying this but here goes anyway.

We just write about our experiences here as a way of giving back. Because no matter how terrible we are, someone will find something useful from it.

Perfectly said...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:12 pm 

Loving your report :nanner: :nanner: I think we are all in need of a little sunshine :sunny: and we will take it any way we can get it. Thanks for sharing....and keep it coming lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:04 am 

If you have ever been to Brookgreen gardens that's where we are heading on Wensday it supposed to Sunny but chillier and a bit windy but they have a Gullah history program running on Wensday and my niece who lives here in MB is just learning about that in her history class and she loves history plus Groupon is running a sale $25 dollars for 4 people or they have a sale just for 2 people for there also. The flowers are blooming plus they have a sculpture exhibit about Horses in American History to now.

Oct 4-11 2008 Bay Watch Resort
September 26 - October 3 2009 Breakers Resort
September 25 - October 2 2010 Bay Watch Resort
September 3 -10 2011 Myrtle Beach Resort
January 12 - May ? 2014 A rented apartment on 33 ave. N, Myrtle Beach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:36 am 

Thanks for all of the comments, and suggestions, everyone. It's always nice to know someone is reading!

I just wrote up my review of The Hampton Inn Oceanside - here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.funbeaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14936&p=106012#p106012

Woke to full clouds and rain. I think I will go down for breakfast, and then come back up and write about yesterday!

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 am 

Enjoying your trip report. The beach golf sounds like fun! Glad your days have been nice and sunny.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 am 

Day 4 - Monday

As expected, Monday was a bit cloudier than the weekend. Got the usual breakfast/reading/trip reporting/weather watching in first, then went for a walk with Amy. We walked north this time, to the swash by Family Amusement Park, then walked Ocean Blvd back to the Hampton Inn. Interesting to see some of the old 50's hotels finally succumbing to the years - being replaced it looks like - there are some going south from us that are falling to the demolition crews as well....sad, but inevitable I guess.

We went to sit by the pool, as there were moments of sun, but by the time we got there it was mostly just cloud cover. Was nice to sit in the warmth though still. Eventually, our oldest came by and said that he was invited to go play golf and that he "just had to have" a new pair of golf shoes. Which is true, he had outgrown his old pair, but we had and hour and 15 minutes to get him a pair and get back before they picked him up. Well, we rushed around, and I thought my best option was to try Golf Dimensions out on 501 just over the bridge. We rushed to the car, and then I looked up and saw that my gas tank was on "E" - so had to fuel up. Then took the 3rd ave. shortcut out to 501 - which you should know is now under construction - trying to widen it I hope? Now that it was Monday, they were full go working on it, so that was sloooowwww. Finally got to 501, and got out to the store, only to find that it was out of business. That's when I got the "I told you that you should have called!" routine from the other side of the car. I knew I should have just gone to Martin's. Anyway, we needed to get him back in time to be picked up, which is when he said he could just borrow a pair from his friend anyway. :BandHead:

Griff had been bugging us to find him some antique stores - yes, my 14 year old son loves antiques. I had seen that there was one on the south end of business 17, next to the Teacher's store - so I could get two birds with one parking lot here - Amy went left, Griffin went right.

We decided to try to find some more antique stores, and I had seen on google maps that there were a few toward Murrell's Inlet. We went in one and looked around, and then headed out for the "Antique Mall" located right where ByPass 17 meets Business 17 - only to find it closed on Mondays. We rushed back toward Surfside beach to another one we had heard about, only to find they had moved, and would be closing at 5:00pm, and it was now 4:50pm. Amy wanted Chik-fil-A.....and Griffin wanted a book, so we headed to Coastal Grand Mall. Had dinner at the food court :???: and then a visit to Books-A-Million. Hit the DQ on business 17 on the way back to the hotel.

We did a hot tub session, then settle in with some reading and listening to the waves.

Not a terribly exciting day - but that is what vacation is sometimes about.

Supposed to be Thunderstorms on Tuesday - we will see!

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 pm 

Thanks for posting the report. I always look forward to these early season reports. Vacation season has started and beach fever has started.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next