Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:46 am 

Day 5 - Tuesday

Woke to dark clouds. Had the usual breakfast in the lobby. Mine usually starts as they open the area at 6am. I get something, do some reading, get something else, read some more, etc. My wife came down about 8am. We sat and looked at the surf, watching people in shorts and tees walk in what looked like a cold and blustery day - but what was actually high 60's and a warm breeze. We decided to walk south today - along Ocean Blvd, to look at hotels and businesses first, and then walk the beach with the breeze at our backs.

We lounged around, waiting for the boys to wake. We hit the hot tub for a bit, did some more reading. Eventually, when Griffin woke, we made a decision to take this non-sunny day to do a little shopping. We headed for Pawley's Island, and to one of my favorite places - The Hammock Shops. Along the way, we did a little more antique store browsing, which was fun.

At The Hammock Shops, we did our usual, got a tee and hat, etc. We decided to have lunch at - what is new to us - Bisqit, a high end hamburger joint. They have a menu of standards that you would find at a hamburger place - but their versions are not standard - really great stuff! I highly recommend them!

After strolling around a bit, we headed back to MB. We did more hot tub, and more reading, and even a nap. Oh yes, cookies at 4pm, too! About 6:00 we headed out for our traditional visit to Yamato's, at BATB. Jack brought along one of his friends from home. As we pulled into the parking lot at BATB, it hit me - that EVERYONE was there, as it was a non-beach day. Every spot was filled in the parking lot, and some were even parking in the grass areas. Somehow, I found a spot closer to the shops, and it was even right near Yamato's. I have learned that reservations here are ok, but that they save room for walk-ins, too. They said it would be about an hour, and I knew from experience that it would most likely be less than that. They gave us our pager, and we sat outside, in front of the new restaurant Sweet Carolinas, where we had a front row seat to watch the Kligs Kites goof ball. He was in great form tonight!

Sure enough, we were called into Yamato's after about 40 minutes. Had another great meal, and we again have a great lunch of left-overs in our refrigerator now! The front was coming through as we left, so we headed for the car. Just in time too, as it let go a downpour on our way back to the hotel.

Another hot tub visit, and then a trip to the lobby for some relaxing tea and reading before bed.

Tomorrow (Wed.) looks to be sunny, though much cooler - in 40's for morning, and rising to 50's for afternoon.

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:23 am 

LOL, looks like we have similar minds today we heard to Brookgreen Gardens and then afterward we are going to The Hammock Shops and thrift stores in Pawleys island. And I was going to mention going to BisQit for late lunch and now I'm sure I want to go there after your review, thanks!

Oct 4-11 2008 Bay Watch Resort
September 26 - October 3 2009 Breakers Resort
September 25 - October 2 2010 Bay Watch Resort
September 3 -10 2011 Myrtle Beach Resort
January 12 - May ? 2014 A rented apartment on 33 ave. N, Myrtle Beach

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

We've been meaning to stop in BisQit since it opened, but one thing or another has prevented that from happening. It is owned by Mike Benson and Josh Quigley, who opened Quigley’s Pint and Plate, another of our favorites (located in Pawleys Island.)

Sorry you had such problems trying to get golf shoes. That's one of those "Murphy's Law" moments and I had to smile!

Rick, thank you for posting your accommodations review in the appropriate string. That makes it so much easier when people are looking for reviews on a certain hotel, condo, etc.

I have really enjoyed reading your trip review. I know it is not as easy as it looks to sit down and recreate your vacation on the internet. But I think you have done a great job. I love your enthusiasm and your love of our beach.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:48 am 

Day 6 - Wednesday

The usual routine for the morning, but looked out on a much cooler beach area. The lifeguard quickly set up her red flag as soon as she arrived, meaning NO SWIMMING. As we sat and watched her set up her area, my wife and I discussed what that meant, as in, if someone was to go swimming, would she have the authority to get them out. My take was that it was probably just a CYA for the City of MB, meaning, if they had the red flag up, and you chose to go swimming, and something happened to you....well, they told you not to go in, so they would not be held responsible. But later, when we were in our room, Amy said she heard a piercing whistle go off, and she looked down at the beach to see our lifeguard running down the beach to a couple of kids that we out swimming in the waves, and she very matter-of-factly told them to get out. They did.

The north wind was very cool, but the sky was clear, very sunny. I have learned on these days that if you can find a place out of the wind, and better yet, an enclosed space made of the material that these hotel pool decks are made from (even the walls - some sort of masonry product) - the sun can really warm up there, and we found just the place for a bit yesterday. I needed to do some chauffeuring around with the boys, but was in and out all day. Ate leftovers from Yamato's for lunch. As the day was cooler, Amy had asked me to take her to the Tanger outlets, she especially wanted to get to the Fresh Produce store, something we don't have at home. I sat in the warm sun, out of the breeze there, while she shopped till her heart was content.

We had made plans with friends to meet for dinner at Carolina Roadhouse, a favorite of my family, and apparently others. There ended up being 18 of us. We met at the bar for drinks first, and they were able to put us at 3 different tables, in the same general area. Always a great meal, Amy had the filet, and I had the ribeye. Yes, I had the baked potato soup, and the house salad was as fantastic as usual. Great meal, great friends, great time!

After shuffling the boys around to their friends, we made a short trip to the DQ for some later evening treats. Had to go out later, to taxi some of the boy's friends back to their hotels, and bring ours home, but that is what being a dad is all about I guess!

Tomorrow will be our last full day. They say partly cloudy, and warmer - into the 60's.

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:54 pm 

Rick...my favorite spot on a cold but sunny day is with 80% of my body submerged in a hot tub while the rest of me bakes in the sun...that is where I was yesterday morning :) hubby and I took turns watching the girls in the indoor pool. Cant wait to hear about how you spent today (thursday)!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:06 am 

Day 7 - Thursday

Hard to believe we've been here a week already...it goes so fast!

Another usual morning routine here at the Hampton Inn. This time, it was omelets that were featured on the breakfast bar. They had a cheese one, and a western one. The other "usual" stuff includes make-your-own waffles, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts, breads/bagels/English muffins, muffins, oatmeal, grits, and juices, and of course a selection of coffees and teas.

Spent much of that early morning time staring out to sea, thinking about my recollections of this past week, and my past stays at MB. I'm trying to come to grips with the thought that this might be my last full day in MB, at least for awhile. More on that later.

Amy came down about her usual time - 8:15. We had nice conversation about our possible schedule for the day, and tomorrow, our travel back day. We walked a different route today, instead of the beach, we crossed over Ocean Blvd and walked out into one of the seemingly "hidden" residential areas that lays between Ocean Blvd and Business 17. These were in the 20th - 25th Ave South area. It was still cool in the shade, though the sun was trying to make its influence felt. We walked back up the beach, from the Compass Cove area. Breeze in our face, but the sun in our face helped.

We headed for our secluded hot spot by the pool, and got our last dose of intensive sun worshipping. After we had had enough, Jack expressed an interest in finding the Nike outlet store - he has been looking for a certain pair of running shoes - so, after eating our Carolina Road and Yamato leftovers for lunch in our room, we all headed out to the Tanger Outlet Mall out on 501. We found the Nike store, and Jack found his shoes. We did some leisurely strolling around, I spent most of the time sitting in the sun as much as I could. We finally gave in and let the boys do what has been a tradition on our MB trips, let them go a little nuts in a "penny candy" store. You know, the ones with the bins of old time penny candy, you pay a bulk price per pound. Everyone gets their own bag. Most of Griffin's was gone by the time we went to bed. I will enjoy most of mine as I drive back home.

We had an unexpected treat for the evening. Amy an I had decided that we would spend the last night doing something nice, maybe even "romantic" for each other. We decided the Marsh Walk in Murrell's Inlet would be a nice thing to do. But, not wanting to exclude the boys - but fully expecting them to pass on it - we asked each of them if they wanted to go along. What we expected was this: Griffin - "Yes, can I?"........Jack - "No thanks." What we got was this: Griffin - "Ummmm, no, I guess not."........Jack - "Yeah, that sounds nice." To which Griffin then said, "Well, if everyone else is going, it would be a nice family thing to do on our last night." I know I was proud/thrilled...and the smile didn't come off Amy's face all night!

Traffic was very slow going down - the 544 intersection is always congested, but some construction around the new Walmart area doesn't help - and in addition, people were beginning to arrive for Easter weekend, and it was dinner time. We knew we wanted to eat at some point. On the way into Murrell's inlet, I pulled in and had the family look at what the deal was at Prusser's - they decided they didn't want that kind of fried seafood on this night - any other night maybe, but they weren't in that mood tonight - so we kept going. I parked across the road from Bovine's. We started the walk there. The breeze was cool, but the sun was nice. Things were very busy at the restaurants. We made it all the way out to the end of the walkway, watched a guy do some fishing, looked across the bay at the setting sun shinning off of the condos and homes, and all-in-all, had a very nice family walk/talk. We decided we didn't want the wait, nor the upscaleness, of eating here, so we headed back out. We decided we would play they Lets-see-what-we-can-find on the way back game. Just to make the game more difficult, I said that it could only be on "this side" of the road (northbound side). We passed on a few, and then Jack saw and shouted "California Pizza", to which the others said "WHERE?". Now usually, the thought of going to the same restaurant twice in one vacation is taboo to me, but I found myself pulling into its parking lot. I think the realization that they were all agreeing on it together, with enthusiasm, swayed my thinking. We of course had a great meal there, and as I was pulling back onto business 17 to head back, I was thinking dessert, just when I saw it - the Krispy Kreme store. We had passed by the one's in MB a dozen times all week, saying we should go in, so I just pulled into the parking lot. Best move we made all week! Some for dessert, some for breakfast.

One last evening trip to the hot tub. Did a little trip planning for tomorrow. And then I lay my head down for the last night in Myrtle Beach.

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:30 am 

Final Day - Day 8 - Friday

As I sit and watch the first glimpses of orange light begin to stretch over the eastern horizon, I am filled with much melancholy.

Our plans have us leaving this morning, and I am fine with that part. It has been a great week here for us. It has been a long week, too. We had a couple of extra days added on to the beginning of our vacation, and because of that, we enjoyed 4 really great weather days at the beginning of our stay. Even thought there were a couple of cloudy days - they were warm. And even though the last two days were cooler - they were sunny. But, now it's time to leave.

We have a reservation in Charlottesville, VA. I decided on there for two reasons: 1. I want to stay off of I-95. It's Good Friday of Easter Weekend, and I don't want anything to do with that highway today. 2. I love the central Virginia area, and what I love most of all is waking up there in the morning in April. Those are powerful memories for me, as my dad would always stop somewhere around there on our spring break trips when I was a kid. Usually in the Shenandoah Valley somewhere. There is just something about the smell of those April mornings there, I love it. So, I will probably take us to Wilmington, and then up I-40 to the Raleigh area. I think, at that point, I will try to get on US-15, or 29, and take it up through central Virginia, to the Charlottesville area. The next morning, I will get up early, as I do here in MB, and drive around the country roads of the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have dreams of retiring there someday maybe, it will be nice to scout around! We will then take the leisurely drive up towards northern Virginia, though staying away from the DC area. We will probably get on I-81 in the Winchester/Martinsburg/Hagerstown area, to make the last push for home. Should be home in time for dinner Saturday night.

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 am 

Sounds like you guys had a great trip. Have a safe trip home.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:42 am 

Epilogue

Well, this may be it for awhile. I am trying not to say the word "permanently", but, I'm not sure.

This has been a long, wonderful run of spring break trips for my family. Connected with a few trips when I was a teen, there are a lot of memories associated with spring break trips to Myrtle Beach. But, we may have come to the end.

I know we will not be back next year, for two reasons. One, our spring break for next year is scheduled to begin the last week of March. We just don't want to take a chance with the weather in MB for that week. I know, it could be gorgeous, but, it could be cool, also. The second reason is that next spring will be Jack's senior year of high school. Our last family spring break together. :cry: Now, it would seem like MB would be the perfect idea, to complete the many great years that we have had here as a family, but, since the break is early next year, Amy has suggested we go out with a bang, and we are looking at something in the Caribbean. At the very least, Florida, but I would expect our break next year to be on an island somewhere.

So, what after that? Well, I have to be honest, Griffin is not a "beach" person. So, when Jack is away at college, will we come to MB? Most likely not. I'm sure we will go somewhere warm, but it will probably be to locations with more history activities (Griff is big on history) - or non-beach related activities. I'm guessing a couple of trips to the Orlando area?

I don't want to say never, because who knows what the future may bring. But this has been a long, wonderful run of trips to an area that was FANTASTIC to bring our younger boys to, and now they are getting all grown-up.

I can't begin to tell everyone here at Funbeaches what a tremendous experience this has been for me personally. A place to communicate about a place that is dear to our hearts, helping one another have better vacations, and sharing memories of a place that is so meaningful to us all.

Patrish....thank you. Your inspiration to create such a place for us here was brilliant, and your hard work and dedication are deeply valued by me, and I'm sure everyone else that is a part of this community that you have created.

To everyone else - and I don't want to name names - as I am sure I will leave someone out - thank you, too. Your wisdom and experiences have helped my family have better vacations, and you have helped me deal with my pre-trip obsessions!

I hope that I have contributed back in some meaningful way. I will share one last thought with each of you....

I feel that memories are our greatest treasure. Myrtle Beach is a memory maker. It is a place for each of us to find our own personal treasures. Good hunting!

I hope to be back. I know there will ALWAYS be a tug at my soul to peek in every March, for the rest of my life. But, until that time, I say goodbye for now.

Rick Bates
Bath, NY

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:51 am 

Rick,
I enjoyed every bit of your report! Even though plans to return look doubtful for the near future, I have a feeling you will return again. I know I could not stay away from Myrtle Beach for an extended period of time. Thanks again for the report and keep on dropping in! The family here would not be the same without you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:36 am 

Excellent report and safe travels !

Don't worry about visiting other areas... When Kelly was a tween & teen, we visited MB multiple times per year. Now she is in college and we have the opportunity to easily visit other locations (Jan is a flight attendant, so that helps....). But as you said, there is always a tug to go back to Myrtle Beach. I love the members of this forum and I DVR every show that has anything to do with MB. I even watch the ESPN Myrtle Beach golf shows Saturday mornings while I sip coffee.

It's been a few years since our last trip, but..... we WILL be back... SOON ! (I keep telling myself this multiple times per week). I have a feeling you'll do the same.... :cool:

Thanks again for the great report !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:19 am 

I also have thoroughly enjoyed your report. You always take the time to write such a detailed account of your vacation and that will be greatly missed :( We also enjoy going other places to make our family memories but Myrtle Beach has quite the magnetic pull for us. Enjoy your holiday wherever you go. Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 pm 
Forum Support

Thankyou Rick for taking us along on your family trip. It was a fun week and sad to see it come to a end. You'll be back one day, I am sure. Safe travels home. Keep in touch with us when you can! You know where to find us. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:41 pm 

Thanks for the great report. Hate to see the streak end, but MB did provide a lot of great memories for you that you have forever. I'm sure someday a return trip may happen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 pm 

Well done, sir! I too offer my gratitude for your time and effort. Your writing style is similar to mine so I could easily get into your flow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next