Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:23 pm 

This was an early spring break trip for us that we started last year and hope to make a yearly tradition. We initially chose Dunes Village after 1st looking at Great Wolf Lodge nearer to us and realizing we could really maximize our stay and cut costs significantly by coming to Myrtle Beach instead. This year ,with all our snow and bad weather, the trip couldn't come soon enough. And , while I'm sorry to report that the weather there most of the time was really yucky, having the indoor water park made it very enjoyable. I will try to load up some pictures and post them separately. Also , I realized I'm kind of long winded so I divided this up into 2 parts.

We decided to add on a day and drive down Sunday so we could take our time and not feel so rushed. We decided to stop at South of the Border on the way down and had lunch at the taco place(not the best) and poked around the shops. I remember this place from trips to FL during my childhood and kind enjoy the tackiness of it all. I looked for an inexpensive place to stay for 1 night close to the boardwalk thinking we could walk around there that night and next day. After some research, I decided on Holiday Sands North . This is a somewhat older motel on the southern end of the boardwalk but it had everything we needed with a great rate of $43 night! There was an indoor pool w/ lazy river, hot tub and kiddie pool with frog slide. We got a 2 room area with double bed in one and kitchenette and queen bed in the other so it had plenty of room. The place showed some age but you could see they were trying to do improvements and the staff was very friendly. It was fine for a night or weekend. We settled in ,rested for a bit and then went out to explore the boardwalk area. Had it not been cold or rainy, we may have walked but we drove instead and boy was it cold with the wind blowing off the ocean! We had fun anyway at the old arcade and poking around in the Gay Dolphin which we hadn't been in before- they have everything! We just wanted a snack more so for dinner so we shared a chili dog and ice cream at Nathans. Then we had a nice swim and off to bed. It was very quiet there. Of course, the whole area was somewhat dead because the weather was so bad.

The next morning we headed out and got breakfast at Plantation Pancake House(ham and cheese omelet for my husband and pancakes for me and my son). With more rain and cold ,we drove around some just checking out the sights and then went back to walk around the boardwalk area until moving on to the Dunes Village to check in. We got there around 12:30 and surprisingly they said the room was ready. :cheerleader: We got a 1 BR ocean front room with 2 queens in BR, large bathroom, washer and dryer and nice kitchen and living room area. There is also a murphy bed in LR but we didn't use that this year as our son who is 4 and few mths still wants to sleep with us if we're in a strange environment. We quickly changed into our swimsuits and went down to the waterpark. We love this place, it is so much fun, we feel like kids again, going down the slides and playing together . It is the perfect winter/spring getaway to refresh. :sunny: The waterpark is divided into 2 towers- one having the lazy river, 2 kids slides, hot tubs , basketball pool area and kiddie splash area. The other tower has 2 larger tube slides- one which goes straight down, kids submarine, dumping bucket, hot tubs and other pools with basketball . There are also shuffle board, pool tables, ping pong and a wii in one area so there is so much for kids ,they never get bored. They also have free games and activities for kids although we didn't do them as we were content just playing in the water. Back to the room for a late nap, boy that water play can really wear us adults out .:lol: Then I headed out to do some shopping for snacks and picked up pizza, salad for dinner from New York pizza which is close and pretty good. We had pizza and a movie night and were feeling quite content. Part 2 coming up!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

I'm loving your trip report! We had terrible weather when you were here, at a time everyone (including us) was wondering "What happened to Spring?" Sounds like you managed to enjoy yourselves in spite of it. Looking forward to the next chapter! :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:14 pm 

Loving your report. Can't wait for the next installment :nanner:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:24 pm 

so enjoying ths report...just what i needed on a cold ,rainy spring evening where yet again we are expecting snow here in SE Ohio! thankyou...waiting on part 2...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:35 pm 

So glad to have this report. Thanks!

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:09 pm 

Sounds great so far.. thanks for posting!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!