Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:10 pm 

I would like to preface this report by saying I am thankful. I am thankful every day. It has been heartbreaking to read some of the comments on the board lately. The price of a holiday in Myrtle Beach has become a hardship for some. Some board members have had health issues. We all need a break from everyday life and nobody deserves it more than the next guy. I am praying things change and that everyone will get to come to the beach we all love.
We left Port Elgin, Ontario about 6:00 a.m.on Monday, January 20th. We didn't have a very pleasant drive to the border but once there from Detroit on it was clear sailing. We usually stop in Marietta, Ohio for the night but Dave was feeling great, or should I say pumped, so we continued on the Beckley, West Virginia. We booked into the hotel then went over to Ruby Tuesdays for dinner. When we got back we checked the weather network. Not good. A winter storm with snow and slippery conditions was on the way. We got up early and pulled out at 6:00 a.m. and it was already snowing very heavily. We are used to driving in winter snow but on icy roads it doesn't matter what type of vehicle or how much of an experienced driver you are it can be very dangerous. When we got going on Hwy. 77 the salt trucks were already out and people were driving sensible in single file. No one was trying to pass thankfully as that leads to trouble in these conditions for sure. The farther we drove the better the conditions got and after 1 1/2 hours we had driven out of it. Whew! Then we had clear sailing all the way to Myrtle Beach. When we arrived the sun was shining and it was just beautiful! We booked into our condo at Blue Water Keyes and went to pick up a few groceries. We grabbed a rotisserie chicken and some salad fixings as we were too tired to head out anywhere to eat. We both had an early night.
The next morning we headed out to Golden Griddle in North Myrtle Beach for brekkie. Eggs, bacon, sausage, toast and biscuits are basically the same most places but their French toast and home fries are delicious. One of our favourite spots. We did some shopping to fill in time off and on and we also were lucky enough to get a few hours out on the balcony and then the bottom fell out of it. Whoa it has been cold! We went out to Benjamin's on Sunday night for crab legs. Bonus for off season 2for1 coupon in the paper.
It has been easier for us than most to tolerate the weather after reading the emails and the phone calls from home. It has been -23 and the hwys. have been closed most of the last week. They informed us today they have another storm coming on Tuesday and Wednesday. No matter how cold it is here it is better than at home and it won't last. We brought our Apple TV along with us and hooked it up and rented a movie from ITunes yesterday. We also enjoy playing Rummikube so we are able to fill in some time there. It is getting warmer so we will be able to walk the beach and swim in the indoor pool. Can't wait. Tomorrow night we are headed to The Shack for their great comfort food. They have great fried chicken and we love the cabbage casserole.
I will chime in from time to time with an update but because I am here for an extended stay I won't subject you to a play by play. Lol. More to come later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 pm 

So glad to hear from you and that you made it safely. I read the words Golden Griddle and my mouth started watering. Yummo.....Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 pm 

Well, at least you have winter travel experiance! Glad you are there safe and sound...and you have been able to make the best of colder conditions...thanks for the updates...I enjoy reading about your trip!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:00 am 

I forgot to mention the highlight of our night at Benjamin's. There was a film crew there and they were in clusters around the restaurant filming people eating. Dave asked the waitress why they were there and she said that they were Canadians. Dave told her that we were too so she beetles over to tell them. Three of them came with a camera over to our table and filmed us eating hush puppies. After they were done the one guy asked where we were from in Ontario. We told him Port Elgin and he laughed and said he was from Toronto but his in-laws had a trailer in the tourist park in Port Elgin and had been there about 50 years! He had been to our town many, many times over the years and loved our beach. Talk about a small world. I asked him what they were filming for and he said The Food Network. I asked what show and he said it was a feature on restaurants. Now, our Food Network that is televised in Canada has some shows that are the same down here but it has mostly Canadian chefs and Canadian shows. We will have to check it out when we get home but I don't know if it will be on this network. I did notice last night that your Food Network aired Chopped Canada so who knows. Never a dull moment in Myrtle Beach.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:56 am 

That is neat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:56 pm 

Sounds great so far! I'm glad you were safely able to beat the snow storm!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:20 pm 

Enjoy the weather and your extended stay! Look forward to reading about your stay!

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:35 pm 

Thanks everyone. We were lucky with the weather as it could have been a lot worse. We would have just stayed put if need be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:42 am 

Welcome Snowbird! We love the weather down here and even with the ice storm it was 40 - 50 degrees warmer here than at home but the sun today was wonderful it felt "HOT" Maybe we will have a chance to meet up while we are both here for the winter. We will be here till mid May. Oh their is a Snowbird Fest today Feb 1st from 9-1 in Myrtle Beach it's at St. John's Greek Orthodox church on 33ave north ext and 17 bypass. We will be there from 11-1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:46 am 

After 3 weeks of -20to30C windchil, I so want to be there right now :cry:
Glad you had a safe trip down

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:03 pm 

Thanks Don. When I get feedback from home I wish you could be here too.
Lauren, we usually have a meet up in March. I will post something in a bit. Just waiting to hear back from Scott and Denise Mills. It would be great if we could get a few people out.