Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quick January Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:27 pm 

My mom lives in Myrtle Beach, so I am down frequently. I think this is the first time in January, though. Arrived early Friday morning. Weather was fabulous - near 60! After unpacking - which took about 5 minutes - we headed over to Indo Thai for lunch. This restaurant is located on 17 by pass, near Grand Dunes, in the shopping center with Lowes Foods (near 82nd Street). We have been by here a lot but never ate here. The food was very good - and we eat a lot of Thai at home. Prices were reasonable as well. Lunch specials, including soup, around $8 to $9. If you like spicy, they will do Thai hot as well. Would definitely come back here.

Friday evening took my mom out to Broadway at Liberty. The bar was hopping but restaurant was quiet. I have never seen Broadway so quiet. All of the stores were closed by the time we arrived 7:00. Dinner at Liberty was okay. Nachos were good, pizza was good, pasta was horrible. Fettucini alfredo tasted like paste. We usually just have happy hour and the food is good, so a little disappointed. Not too much evening activity this time of year, so we headed home.

Saturday we were up early and hit the outlets. Sunny day, but windy and cold. Parking place right up front. Shopped there and at the mall. Found some decent buys. Saturday evening husband and I only headed down to Murrells Inlet. Went to K-Raes, as we have not been there since it changed hands. This is one of our favorite spots off the beaten path. Had a drink, listened to some acoustic music. Still lovely. Can't wait to go back in the summer. Headed over to the Marsh Walk - again very quiet. Dinner at Wahoo Fish House. Very good.

Here is my major complaint for this trip - the smoke. During the summer when the bars are all open to the marshwalk the smoke doesn't bother me too much. But when it is cold, everything is sealed up in plastic and they let people smoke I just can't stand it. We went to Bubba Love after dinner to sit in front of the big fireplace but the smoke was just too bad. Even at the outside bar at Wahoo's it was just horrible. SC needs to ban smoking like most of the rest of the country.

Sunday went to the outlet on 501, home for a bit, and then over to Liberty Tap Room for football. Stayed here most of the evening - it was packed. They have great happy hour and football specials. Three of us were there for about four hours and we all ate and drank and the bill was $50. Can't beat that.

Overall a nice, short trip. Weather was pretty good, especially considering we just got home to a forecast of 8 inches of snow tonight/tomorrow. Everything was pretty quiet overall, but it is nice not waiting to get in anywhere! Will be back down in a few months.

Post subject: Re: Quick January Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:26 pm 

thanks for the trip report...must be nice to get more than once or twice a year...we won't be there until August...snow predicted here , too, for tonight 2-5 inches and very cold temps...so it was great to hear about 60 degrees in Myrtle...it would seem strange to see broadway with little activity...we have never been there off season...hope to after retirement...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:23 am 

Enjoyed reading your trip report. Glad you had a nice trip. Lucky you having family in my favorite place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:41 am 

Thanks so much for taking the time to share! I was looking at the B'Way webcam the other day and it's so odd to see NOBODY walking around :shock: ! So glad you had a great time!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:28 am 

Thanks for the report ! I remember fondly some of our Jan/Feb trips.... Cold, but you are at the beach ! Just hearing the waves crash even though you have the door closed due to the wind/cold is still soothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 am 

Left off one place. Had lunch at Landshark on Sunday. Beautiful day and quite a few people on the beach. Never been here before either. Pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. Burger, Cuban Sandwich and fish tacos, all of them were very good. They have a nice drink menu with over 100 different kinds of fruity/tropical drinks.

I have seen others complain that they are pricey, but I don't think any more so that any place on the beach. Mixed drinks around $8, beer around $3 to $4. Sandwiches were around $9 to $10 and large.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Sher, thanks for taking the time to write this trip report. I really enjoyed reading it.

Currently, Surfside Beach and the city of North Myrtle Beach are the only places with a no-smoking law. You might look for dining options in both places when you are again in the winter. Sandwiched in the middle is the city of Myrtle Beach, still without a law. I'm with you. The minute Wally and I walk inside a restaurant that even hints of smoky smell, I'm right out the door.

http://www.thedigitel.com/offbeat/myrtl ... 35126-0311

You might also want to read this news story:

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/21129226/ ... -up-debate

Again, thank you so much for your trip report!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:25 pm 

Thanks for writing a report. I really enjoyed reading it :)

August 2008: Sheraton Broadway Plantation
August 2009: Sheraton Broadway Plantation
July 2010: Ocean Reef Resort
July 2011: Caribbean Resort
July 2012: Paradise Resort
July 2013: Paradise Resort

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:36 pm 

Thanks for sharing. I sure needed a trip report :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:44 am 

Yes, thanks for a January report.

Agree with the smoking business.

This place, K-Raes? What, and where is that exactly?

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:00 pm 

K-Raes is where the old Hanna Banana's used to be. It is in Murrells Inlet, but not on the Marsh Walk. Take 17 business (coming from Myrtle) and go past the exit for the Marsh Walk on the left. Go about a half mile and turn right on Wachesaw Road. Take Wachesaw down to the water and there is a marina there. K-Raes is the restaurant at the marina. It has a gorgeous view and a beautiful outside deck. Usually acoustic music on the weekends. They have a website that has their menu and any events they have going on. It is mostly locals (in the winter) and some visitors in the summer but not as many as the Marsh Walk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 pm 

Sounds like a great little weekend trip! Thanks so much for posting! Makes me miss it so much!! =]

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 pm 

I wish we had a "like" button!

Nice trip report.... Having been a smoker who quick several times. This time for over 6 years, I understand the smoking thing! NJ banned it and life goes on!