Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:28 pm 

This will undoubtedly be the most boring trip report in the history of this Message Board. First of all, apologize for the delay in doing this. Just got caught up in life's dramas and time got away from me. This will be at least the 6th year in a row we have rented the house on 7th Ave. So. in Surfside Beach. We rent through Old Colony Realty in Surfside and they are great. A little background for those who are new to the board. We are old but not retired so we have to travel back and forth to TN at least four times during the month of October. Needless to say we spend a lot of time on the road. My husband's health was pretty bad the first six months of this year but fortunately by October he was feeling quite a bit better. I had wondered if he would be able to manage the stairs at the house but he did fine. The house is a 4 bedroom/3 bath about 1/2 block from the beach. This was the first year that no one came to visit us while we were there. Needless to say the house was pretty big for just the two of us. We pay $1100. for the month. which works out to considerably less than a hotel We really like the Surfside Beach area. The town itself does a great job of maintaining the common areas. Great parks, library and pier within walking distance. The first weekend of October they have a nice Family Festival. Lots of food, craft booths, entertainment for the children and a couple of bands make it a pleasant afternoon. That was the only weekend we were at the house all month but we did enjoy the Festival. Also that weekend there was a British car show at Market Commons and we had a good time looking at the classic cars. There are so many festivals, etc. in the area during the month of October it is hard to choose what to do. In the old days we spent more weekend time at the beach so we were able to do more. Not complaining, any time at the beach is special.

One of the highlights of the month happened on October 3rd. The meet-up at the River City Cafe at Barefoot Landing. The food was great and the company was even better. See comments under meet-up. For those of you who have never attended a meet-up I think you will be pleasantly surprised what a nice group of people are on this board. If you have an opportunity to attend one I highly recommend it. Patrish and Wally are one in a million. So hospitable and immediately make you feel like one of the family.

We did go to Brookgreen Gardens twice. This is another thing we do every year. We find the gardens beautiful I particularly like all the majestic old oak trees. The first part of October there were so many butterflies everywhere and a lot of flowers still blooming. Unfortunately by the middle of the month the weather went downhill. No problem at least we were at the beach.

I am not making this up. We ate breakfast at Harry's Pancakes 18 times. Pretty good for my husband as we only slept at the house 18 nights. I for one would like a little variety but that is his enjoyment. It is not just the food, which is fine, but the family feeling of the place. Sort of like Cheers without the alcohol. Angelea Sourlis the manager/owner has done a fine job of running the place since her Dad (Harry) passed away a couple of years ago. The food is always good and hot.

Most days we ate lunch at the house. For evening meals we were trying to use up gift cards we collected through the year. We used gift cards at Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Chili's, Bonefish, and we ate at PF Changs four times with cards. We went to Bonefish on a Tuesday not know that it was Lobster special night. We had a Lobster Tail dinner with a salad for $12.99 each. It was very good. We like the atmosphere in the Bonefish and have always been pleased with the food. PF Changs is one of my favorites. Since we love the Market Commons area and it is close to Surfside we ended up at PF Changs more than normal. Food and service was excellent on all four occasions. We did get to the Inlet Crab House in Murrells Inlet once. Both of us had fried shrimp baskets and they were very good as usual. Not inexpensive nor impressive decor but never dissapoints us. A couple of nights after driving all day we ended up at the K&W Cafeteria for a quick "comfort food" type meal.

Need to take a break from this and do some work. More later. See, I told you it would be boring this year. Love Myrtle Beach, Love the Message Board and Love Life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Judy, thanks for writing this detailed review of your time spent at our beach. I read every word, and never once did I find anything boring! :cool:

I did get a smile out of your breakfasts at Harry's Pancakes! Now that's loyalty to a restaurant!

Sorry I missed seeing you, but I know how time flies. With your travels back and forth to Pigeon Forge, it's amazing you got as much done here as you did. Uh...plus the time it took eat 18 breakfasts at Harry's!

Thanks again for writing this. I know how time consuming it is to wrote a trip report!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 am 

I also got a kick out of the Harry's Pancake breakfasts :lol: I bet in a way it was nice to have a more quiet trip this time. Take in the scenery a bit more!

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 am 

"We ate breakfast at Harry's Pancakes 18 times." :notworthy:

If I had a month at the beach I would probably eat at Golden Griddle at least 18 times.
There is nothing boring about this trip report at all. Thanks for taking the time to write it. Might have to give Harry's a try. Just don't call Golden Griddle and let them know where I am at. They might kick me out of their frequent eater program.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:32 pm 

I enjoyed reading your trip report, Judy. We have been so busy here at home with work and family I have found it difficult to keep up with the message board. Retirement for me is looming at the end of this school year...but I am not counting the days yet. Anyway, reading your report brought back memories of our Surfside vacation last August. We were at Cafe Mocha(rented through Old Colony, as well). We were there for one week...with another week at Golf Colony...it was a fabulous time...we will be back next August and , hopefully again in the fall. Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 pm 

Trip reports are never boring :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:43 pm 

Nothing boring and enjoyed the pancakes. Now I hungry, thanks!

Image Las Vegas Oct 2016 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:58 pm 

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I guess we were lucky to get through the month of October with no major health issues. Husband had surgery earlier this year for a hiatal hernia. This weekend has not been boring of course they never are. Unfortunately Chris is having his gall bladder removed tomorrow am (Sunday). Figure they think it needs to get out pronto if they are doing surgery on a Sunday. Hopefully all will go well and he will have an easy recovery. Oh to be back at the beach enjoying the sand between my toes.
Judy

The rain fall softly on your fields
and until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of his hand
(A Gaelic Blessing)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:41 pm 

I also enjoyed your report. 18x too funny! Obviously somebody loves Harry's. Lol I don't know how you manage all that driving in one month but as you say it is worth it to put your toes in the sand. Good luck with hubby's surgery. He sounds as if he has had a rough time this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:03 pm 

I think I'm going to buy stock in Harry's Pancakes next October and see how much profit I get in one month!

Enjoyed the trip report, and so glad you had fun at your meet up.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:16 am 

Great report! I hope some day I am able to stay for a whole month! I think the hardest part would be leaving to go home but if you know you are coming back, then it can't be too bad! =]

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!