Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:42 pm 

Saw your post on Jan's trip report. We would like to meet you at Duffy's tonight. Just let me which Duffy's and what time.

Vicki & Kay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:38 pm 

Blew large chunk of beach budget in Charleston so report won't be very exciting this year.

Tuesday......Another boring beach day. Sunny with just enough breeze to keep it from getting too hot. Long morning walk way up above the pier. Chairs set up at 11:00. Another short walk later to the south in between naps. Such a rough day.
Wonders of internet and cell phones. Made plans to meet the Buckeyes at Sea Mountain Duffy's for dinner.

Dinner at 6:00. Upstairs was closed for season. Downstairs was noisy but I've been there when it was worse.
Right off the bat. The waitress announces she's from Ohio. I swear. It's a cult. They have a sixth sense and can just find others of their kind where ever they go.........
Had a great time with this pre-meet up meet up. Don't know about the others but my dinner was great except for the crab legs. Think I had an anorexic crab. All the work to crack the shells and half the legs didn't have meat in them.

This morning Ruann was riding bench on injured reserve. All the walks have done a number on soles of feet. I did first walk alone. I took advantage of the situation and caught up with her in the shark tooth count.
Another long grueling day sitting in the sun.
Around 4:00 we decided the car hadn't been moved since Sunday. We'd better take it out for a spin. Didn't go far. Down to Windy Hill to Logan's Steakhouse. Nothing fancy.
Back to condo. Sat outside reading until dark.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:23 am 

Thursday:
Out for early walk. High tide. Was ready to fix my daily egg sandwich when she suggested going out. Didn't have to ask twice. Been hearing so much about Golden Griddle thought this would be great time to try it. 10% off coupon in the books so this would be our normal one coupon per trip. Timing was perfect. We walked right in. Later when we left there was a line.
We're not big pancake or waffle eaters so she had eggs and bacon, I had their large omelet and hash browns. Not sure if it is actual seasonings they use or well seasoned cast iron skillet but they were very good.
Over the register were pics of Huntington and Marshall. Asked woman what the connection was and she said hubby was from Huntington. I said I was from Charleston and couldn't care less about Marshall. She laughed and said she hears it all the time.

Ran some errands. Post cards sent and goodies for grandkids. On beach around noon. Another boring sunny warm day on the sand. Couple walks.
This was "corrective tanning" day. Used the 50 weight sunscreen on the darker front and back areas and the 15 on the white sidewalls. Chair had to face a certain way with one arm up and the other down. One lag stretched out and the other one bent and crossed......Looked like the seated hokie pokie........(didn't last long)
Returned from one of our walks and "neighbors" informed us somebody had been in beach bag. Large black bird. All we can figure is it saw something shiny and was trying to get it. Ruann's plastic glasses case had small peck parks on it so that must have been the target.

Headed out to meet up early. Made the annual walk around Barefoot Landing without buying anything. Couldn't pack it home if we did.
Meet up was great. Met Judy and Chris for first time. Always fun to spend time with Wally and Kay. For those who didn't know they both have roots in the mountains.
If you look close at the group shot you'll notice both Wally and Patrish are in the pic. Lady from another table offered to take the pic. Kept saying that it was what she does. She stood on another table and everything tying to get the perfect pic of a bunch of strangers. Ruann went out front before the rest of us and said she was doing same thing out there posing people for a picture.

Night time cruise back up the road in the cool air with top down. Great way to enjoy NMB. Back to condo and called it a night.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:03 am 

Friday:
Time on the beach is our #1 priority when we're down here. Any away from beach activities depend on weather and tides. Weather this week has been perfect. Couldn't ask for anything better. Only thing that could throw us a curve would be tide and today was the day.
High tide was around 8:00 am. Slight slope of the beach below high tide meant it would be around noon before it would be out far enough to have good flat chair spot.
Road trip........

After breakfast in we headed south to Myrtle Manor. Funny thing is Ruann hasn't watched a second of the show and she was more eager to see it than I was.
Had pretty good idea where it was at. Found RT 15 and started looking. Passed a number of trailer parks and was at end of road when Ruann informs me the park isn't called Myrtle Manor. Jan had told her at meet up it was another name with small Myrtle Manor sign hanging below it. Now that I think about it. Mike threw out a name at the meet up I thought was name of road. It was name of trailer park.
Found it and drove right in. Speed bumps are just as bad if not worse than they appear on the show. First one I slowed down and let momentum roll me across. Wrong. Front end went right over and boom. Frame of car hit the bump. Rest of them I was veeeeeery careful getting across.
Little bit confusing out by the pool area. Private property signs. Do not enter. Residents only. But looking ahead you can see signs directing Myrtle Manor traffic. I went for it and drove on through. We were only ones there so not like it was long line of traffic.
Young security guy was there named Conner. I asked if he knew Mike L. He did but Mike wasn't there. Super courteous and helpful kid. If Mike reads this he can give Conner an "attaboy". Took our picture by the pool. Said we could walk around. Just not allowed to knock on doors. Couple quick pics of pool and Tangulls we were done.
Conner said speed bumps going out the back way were worse than ones coming in so he let us turn around and go out way we came. We were going from one side to the other trying to hit the lower sections of bumps. Out towards the end I'm pretty sure it was Becky walking by. Hair looked a bit different but she waved.
As we crossed last speed bump on wrong side of road here was Cecil coming out of office. As I was steering back to correct side of road it was pretty obvious he was walking towards us. I'm going on 60 and still feel like a kid when I think I'm in trouble.
Cecil was super nice guy thanking us for stopping by. I joked about the speed bumps and he told us we weren't the first ones to drag bottom. He seems to be a lot nicer in person than he comes across on the show.

Left there and did a run up Ocean Blvd. Stopped by 2nd Ave Pier to use restrooms. Nice lady approached us and gave us a handful of coupons. Thought she was on vacation and was leaving but she said she was a local with more coupons than she could use. Super nice lady. Don't think she realized how "coupon impaired" we are but the gesture was very much appreciated.

Looking though the stack for something for lunch we came across one for Senor' Frogs. Never been there so thought this would be great time to try it. Two coupons in one trip. Could be a record.
Still early so we strolled Broadway. Actually bought something. Little kiosk. From a distance you can read the signs/art they sell. The lettering isn't actual print. It might be the C from a Coke emblem. A manhole cover for an O and a P from a Pepsi sign to spell COP. Racks of letters. Not all are letters. Might be a clump of trees to form an M. Or a light house for an I. You spell out what ever you want. Inexpensive and fun to go through all the "letters". We did two with no idea how we're going to pack them in car.

Senor' Frogs was closed for lunch. Not hard to understand. Broadway is almost empty this time of day off season.
Ran home to Cherry Grove and hit Basil's for lunch. This time I ordered the Basil's stromboli (ham, salami, pepperoni) with add ons. (onion, mushrooms and banana peppers) Wait all year for this treat.
She ordered large pizza. Couple slices for lunch with the rest going back to condo for later.

On the beach at 1:00. Short walk. Ran into former classmate Carl who lives down here for months at a time at Blockade Runner.
Couple others from South Charleston there this week.
Evening we drove down to Main Street to meet with them at either Harold's or Duck's. HOG Rally going on. Street blocked for stage and live band. We walked around listening to music. Hit Harold's and Ducks a couple times. Never did see anybody we knew.
Back to car to drive around finishing the evening at Dairy Hut for cone and milkshake....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 pm 

While crossing Ravenel Bridge can be a white knuckle experience, it is NOTHING compared to crossing that old Cooper River Bridge. I cringed every time we crossed it. Was even scarier when I was driving it. (My Godson used to live in Mount Pleasant and his mom & I used to frequent the town. She refused to drive it so I always drove down.) I totally agree... it is one of the worst laid out towns I've ever been in!

We've taken many carriage rides in Charleston, and enjoyed them all, but Old South Carriage is still our all-time favorite!

As far as the tour of the sub at Patriot's Point... if you are the least bit claustrophobic, DON'T go in there! I never thought I was until Danny, Jason & I took that tour when Jason was younger!!! Couldn't wait to get out of there! Don't know how in the world the sailors stayed in there for months on end! :shock: Jason took his family this summer & said it seemed even smaller than he remembered! Gee, could be you got older, son! :tongue3:

Great report, as usual, Alan! I always look forward to reading your reports! Your style of writing is always so enjoyable to read!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:25 pm 

Thanks for writing. Enjoyed everything I read. We too, schedule our beach days based on the tide and kind of weather, whether we go anywhere else.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:55 pm 

Saturday:
Dreaded last day. Odd this time.
Last few years I've read Patterson and Koontz books at the beach. Fast pace reads. Knock out 4-6 in a week in between naps and beers. This year I found some John Grisham books cleaning out Mom's house. Slower to read but very good. Both had to do with death row inmates. As they were counting down their last days and hours.....So was I....... I know. I know. Not the same........But close.

Again high tide when we woke up. No hurry to hit beach. Ate and headed out to beach around 9:00. Set up the chairs and started to walk up beach. Tide out enough the clusters of small shells were fresh. The shark tooth race was back on. Walk became a crawl. She eased along the sand while I scanned the shallow pool areas. Almost made it to the pier but took over an hour to get there. I won the day but to insure I get fed I'll call it a draw for the week.

In and out of chairs soaking up all the sun we can. Physically signs of beach trip will start to disappear as soon as we get home. Mentally all the sights and sounds will be burnt in our minds for months. We love to sit and people watch. Like the kid flying the kite. We turned our head and looked back again. He's rolling up string. No kite. Kite was halfway to Conway.
Then we watched a distinguished older gentleman. Maybe a lawyer or business man. Who knows? Standing in pool of water he swishes his flip flops around cleaning them off. Lays one down. Works for ever getting his wet foot into wet flip flop without bending over. Then other foot. Again. Same thing. Almost five minutes cleaning and putting on his flip flops. I'm sorry. How could we not watch?
Up the hill to the soft sand....Wet feet. Wet flip flops...Covered with dry sand.....

Mid afternoon we walked up the street for lunch. Goal was Hamburger Heaven. In sight of Boulineau's we did the math. We could be sitting at table and eating in the time it would take to get to Hamburger Heaven. Sold. More fried chicken and salads
Finished the day on the beach just staring at the water. Then the "dead man walking" last trip off the beach. Sprayed everything off better than it's been all week because it was going to the car. Not the condo.

Cleaned up and out looking for WVU game. Tried Overtime. Packed. Ran out to Chris' Pizza Pub in Little River. Small pizza parlor. Parkfan might check this out next trip. Owner form Fairmont/Clarksburg area. Flying WV on one window. Steeler's emblem on the other.
Small group of blue and gold faithful. Ordered sandwiches at kickoff. Headed back to start packing before first quarter was over. Unbelievable.
Being a Mountaineer fan is pretty much like being an American. Love and support the team. It's the people running the show we have a problem with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:05 pm 

Sunday:
Up at 6:00. On the road at 6:30. To save time and avoid really cramming stuff in trunk I threw my bag on the small deck behind seat on top of car top. Still dark with heavy humidity. Top down with wipers on and defrost blowing. Had to be a first.
Little River the road was wet like it had just rained. Hmmmmmm. Then small drops on windshield. No problem as long as we're moving. Yeah. Like we've had a lot of luck in the driving department this week.
Next stoplight we had to stop. Skies opened up. Even moving it was raining too hard for windshield to deflect it over us. By this time we're past the strip malls. No shoulders. We're leaning forward trying to keep faces behind windshield looking for someplace to pull over. By the time we get stopped, bag moved and top up we were soaked. Couple miles up the road. It stopped raining.

After the rain it was foggy. Might be first time I've dealt with fog down there. Never 100% clear but some spots maybe 50 yard visibility. Rockingham it was still heavy enough you couldn't see far off road. Nothing looked right and was sure I'd missed exit. Rockingham was first rest stop and it was warm enough to throw top back again. Halfway up RT 220 sun finally burned it's way through the fog.

Hit the new road over to Winston Salem. Not hard to find. Signs say to High Point/Winston Salem. Confusing part is most of us have been calling it RT 311. Sign calls it I 74. No signs for RT 311 until a few miles up the new road.
Ballpark figuring give or take a mile...... 35 miles from RT 220 to RT 52. ....Doing speed limit it took approx. 30 minutes...... Just guessing. From the exit on RT 220.......We were on RT 52 in the time it would take to get halfway through Greensboro.

Gas stop at Mt Airy. Cruised right up Fancy Gap. Somewhere between there and I 81 I thought the car had a funny surge to it. Experimented between cruise control and manual. Wasn't sure if it was problem or in my mind. Heading up last hill before Princeton it sputtered a few times. Split second decision to push on and not stop in Princeton. I was semi sure it was bad gas at Mt Airy.
As long as I didn't let up on gas on the hills it did ok. If I slowed a little and tried to accelerate back up it would sputter.
Debated stopping in Beckley for bottle of gas dry and again kept going. Once across what we call tunnel hill it's literally down hill to home. Marmet I was ready to bust. Stopped at Hardees. Wouldn't start. Won't know til tomorrow but sounds like fuel pump.
20 miles from house. No problem getting wrecker to shop and ride home. Positive way to look at it. Money we saved skipping kayak tour.....Paid for wrecker.......

Even with the problems....Home in 9 hours. Was figuring 7 1/2 -8 without any problems.
All things considered. Still a great trip. As usual didn't do much of anything but.....The days dragged by very slow.....felt like two weeks.

Last edited by pop2748 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:11 pm 

pop2748 wrote:

Mid afternoon we walked up the street for lunch. Goal was Hamburger Heaven. In sight of Boulineau's we did the math. We could be sitting at table and eating in the time it would take to get to Hamburger Heaven. Sold. More fried chicken and salads

Glad you didn't make the hike up there. It closed Oct. of last year!! From their FB page...

"For those who don't know....Due to my high mortgage, taxes and the downfall of our economy, Hamburger Heaven has closed the doors. It has been a pleasure serving you burgers from Nov. 6, 20007 to October 25, 2012. Thank you for all your support. To my GREAT staff, from my heart, Thank you and GREAT JOB! KLM"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:27 pm 

That was one reason we weren't sure of the walk. Last year we were down the same week and they were closed. Didn't know it was for good. Just thought they had limited schedule during off season. Now we know....."the rest of the story".....

Heard some "talk" about Flounders.....I pass it on in PM later.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:46 pm 

Loved reading your report! I catch myself smiling the entire time I am reading. I have never really had enough beach down time to find Myrtle Manor (Patrick's Mobile Home Park), but have you noticed there is actually what I think is a retirement home on 17 right before Restaurant Row that is called Myrtle Manor. Don't you know they have received alot of publicity this past year with people thinking it is the reality show location.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:14 pm 

At the meet up a couple of us were still trying to figure out the new route between Winston Salem and RT 220. Even though I was on it today I'm still not 100% sure where the heck I was. Looking on the map sites it doesn't show as complete.
Best one I've found this evening is on Bing Maps. On the road map it doesn't show it completed but if you switch to satellite image you can see the final section still under construction to get a good idea where it's at.
It is finished all the way across. All four lane. No stoplights. No exits or detours. Speed limit lowers to 60mph through High Point but other than that smooth sailing.
One more bit of info, Couple exits in High Point have signs for a number of services like gas and fast food. Easier on off access than exits through Greensboro.