Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:59 pm 

On the road at 7:45. Much later than planned. No big deal. Had hoped to pull out with top down but that didn't go as planned either. Air temps weren't bad but the damp fog made it feel a lot colder.
Took our usual leisurely vacation pace to a whole new level today. Did speed limit plus a few. It was the stops that killed us.
First stop was the normal one at VA rest area. Normal right up til some lady stopped to talk about car. She has one and we had to exchange small car stories.
Wytheville.... Ruann started talking food. Going on 10:00 am by now. Too early for lunch and too late for breakfast. Stopped at Fort Chiswell Denny's for breakfast.
Still foggy until we hit the fog advisory zone at Fancy Gap and of coarse. Blue skies and sunshine. By the time we hit bottom of hill it was downright hot in car. Hit the rest area to shed the top and the sweatshirts.
Almost four hours into the trip and not even a third of the way. In four hours we had stopped more than we do on a normal full trip. Over five hours to Charlotte which is usually four hours.

Hit Charleston around 4:00 after a couple more stops. Hit RT 17 and across the huge bridge whatever the name is. Tired. Hungry. Nerves shot from busy I 26 rat race. Bridge during rush hour was a white knuckle trip. Hope it's better tomorrow. Hate to run up to Columbia and back down to go around.........
We're at Hampton Inn in Mt Pleasant pretty much right off the north end of bridge.
Checked in and ran down the road to Patriot's Point. Had hoped it would be open up into evening hours but it isn't. At best might have had an hour and that's not near enough time to see all they have. Throwing major wrinkle into game plan for weekend.

For a fairly small town Mt Pleasant is one of most confusing towns to navigate. I don't think they have a single square or rectangle block. Think they built all the businesses before they decided to put in some streets to connect the parking lots. "There's a path" "Good. Pave it and give it a name......"
Went looking for place to eat. Hit the nearest shopping plaza and found a Melvin's BBQ. Ribs and chicken looked very good but prices were very high. Went with jalapeno burger and Miss I'm on a Diet had turkey sandwich. Both were very good and price reasonable.

Ran out RT 703 to Sullivan's Island. Found all the tourist restaurants along that road. Will take closer look at them tomorrow night.
Island isn't like anyplace I've seen around Grand Strand. I'm sure there are rentals someplace out there but we didn't find them. Really didn't look hard.
Hand full of restaurants at the main intersection coming into the community. Packed with people lined up and waiting. We ran south on the island to Fort Moultrie. Looks more residential than rental. Nice and quiet but what the heck do you do there? Different stokes for different folks. I could see living there but would be a boring vacation.

Fort was closed of coarse. Why would anything go right this late in day? Walked around outside the walls and out to the beach. This section of beach is more harbor opening than oceanfront. Don't know what's on up the beach but there were no waves anywhere in sight. Dozens of people sitting around. Blankets, chairs, golf carts. Not sure what they were watching. It was a big river bank.

Back to hotel. Calling it a night..........

She has the remote.........What else can go wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:07 pm 

Glad you are on your way. The drive down is one of the most exciting parts of vacation. Have a great time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hope things improve,and nothing else goes wrong as you head to MB.

Stop at SeeWee in Awendaw on your way to the beach and enjoy some home cookin'

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... /308049887

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:33 pm 

Well......Just sat here and typed out today's adventure and hit wrong button........Lost everything.....Hate the lap top........

Breakfast at hotel before heading across river to Charleston. Did carriage tour with Palmetto Carriage Tours. Very entertaining and educational. Our guide was a character with all sorts of facts and stories with tons of humor mixed in. Probably most bang for buck of anything we did today.

Back across to Patriot's Point. Tickets for both the Yorktown (Yorkshire if you ask Ruann to read the road signs....) and Sumter tour. Enjoyed the carrier much more than NC battleship. More to see. More history of entire Navy vs history of one ship.
Highlight was dive bomber Dad was tail gunner in during WWII. Icing on cake was business expo was being held at that end of hanger and couple planes including the Dauntless were surrounded by large blue curtains. I talked to staff about it and he said " Hey.....Nobody will see you....." Got closer to the plane than if it had been out in open.
Cut the carrier tour short to make the Sumter boat.

Boat ride wasn't anything special. First 15 minutes in the fort was listening to park ranger give a quick history of the fort. No complaints there because I actually learned some things. By the time you stroll around and see everything and take pictures it's time to head back to boat. Didn't have time to check out museum. For somebody who likes to see every picture and read every informational post...... an hour isn't long enough.

Skipped going back to sub and destroyer tour.
On our to-do list was Boone Hall.(Mount Royal on North and South mini series) It closes at 5 and we were cutting it too close. Only hope was this was special week end for them and maybe they would be open later. Nope. $20 a head for 45 minutes was too steep. Wouldn't even let us drive in just to take a picture.
They're having Taste of Charleston there tomorrow. Sounds like crowd and traffic will be way too much to mess with.

Stopped at Shem Creek on the way back to hotel. Similar to Calabash. Not so far off beaten path and area is large marsh. Creek lined with half dozen restaurants/bar and grills. Set up for boats to tie up and grab dinner. Lines at the bar and grill places. We hit the place with no wait. Water's Edge. Bit on the nicer end of the scale. Crab dip appetizer was lacking something. Heck the bread and butter were better than the appetizer. I had shrimp and pasta and she had country fried steak. Both very good.

Long wood walkway out into the marsh and out to where the creek meets the river. Several informational spots along the walk. Fishing village back in the day and all that.......Sound familiar?
Like I said yesterday. This would be a great place to live if you could afford it. Must be one of the most physically fit areas of the country. You don't go down the street without seeing somebody running, biking, kayaking......That stinking bridge. Each trip across I bet there's been a hundred people walking, running or biking across it on the special lane just for them.
Still not seeing the vacation value other than the history.

Can't wait to get to Grand Strand and in familiar surroundings........

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:37 am 

pop2748 wrote:
Can't wait to get to Grand Strand and in familiar surroundings........

LOL! We are such creatures of habit aren't we? Sounds like a great time so far though! I can't wait for you to get there either...want some Cherry Grove "news!" Drive safe and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:49 pm 

lol...it's the Ravenel Bridge...and man, those Charlestonians sure are proud of it! The first time we were down there, that's all we heard..."Have you seen the bridge" and "be sure to drive over the bridge", everywhere we went! lol We're from Michigan, we have the Mackinac Bridge and weren't really impressed with theirs! :dontknow:

As for Boone Hall - ya'll didn't miss a whole lot. I really don't think it's worth the $20 for a couple hours. I was so disappointed going there. Yes, it was in the movie and the inside of the house has a bunch of photos taken during filming...but it isn't an original plantation house, it was rebuilt. And it's a current residence, so you couldn't take any photos except of the outside and gardens. I wish we'd have toured a more authentic plantation. The highlight of the tour was the Gullah Theatre, which was really interesting.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:42 pm 
Forum Support

pop2748 wrote:
Well......Just sat here and typed out today's adventure and hit wrong button........Lost everything.....Hate the lap top........

Do you use Google Mail (Gmail)? If so just type your trip reports as you would a email. It will automatically save quite often as a "Draft". So you will find the "email" in your Draft folder. Then just copy and paste it to Funbeaches Forum.

Just wanted to put that out there. I have started to do that a lot, since Firefox crashes on me. Any long post I make anywhere online I type it in Gmail.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:45 pm 

I can't tell you how many times I have lost my trip reports before posting! I used to put them in Word and the copy and paste. Just started using OneNote and love it!

Looking forward to seeing you guys!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:27 pm 

Up and on the road by 8:00am. Drive up RT 17 was piece of cake. Stopped in Georgetown to check out the fire damage. Street still fenced off to traffic. Can go out back on the dock and get to within a few feet of the burned out buildings. Sad that places that old are gone forever. Sure new places can be built to resemble the original buildings but it won't be the same.
Local guy was there. Think he was the self appointed unofficial information officer. If you didn't ask a question he'd start telling you information anyway. I don't know where he got information or how official it is but he was telling everyone witnesses heard an explosion before the fire.
Could see and hear some remodeling going on in a couple of the empty storefronts scattered through town. Since it was a Sunday morning I'd say it's safe bet some of the burned out businesses are moving to new locations.

Lot of time to kill so we detoured through MB Ocean Blvd. For a Sunday morning it seemed pretty busy. Thought about looking for Myrtle Manor but decided to give early check-in a shot. Knew it was long shot so was no surprise when they said not yet. Got the registration part out of the way.
Next on things to do was Basil's. She had a turkey sub and this was my Italian sub trip. Later in week we'll hit there again and I'll get my annual monster Stromboli.

Back to Ocean Club. Still waiting for phone call. Walked to pier and back. Tide maybe at halfway point and coming in. As far as you could see up or down the beach was a 10' wide strip of busted shells. Sand was clear above and below the strip. Couldn't walk in the strip because of all the sharp shells. Only found a handful of keepers.
Sun was out but the wind had a chill to it. On the walk back we noticed the wind had all but stopped and temps were getting much warmer. Sat by pool maybe an hour before we got into room. Changed, grabbed chairs and hit the beach. Long enough I got a bit pink but nothing to lose sleep over.
Headed in little before 6:00 to go to store. Stocked up on snacks, drinks and breakfast/lunch groceries. After three days of eating out we went light and attacked the Boulineau's deli/salad bar. Couple salads and some fried chicken. Hit the spot.

Switching from football to balcony and back. Chilly outside. Watching kids in the pool makes it feel even colder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:10 am 

Glad to know you got here safely. Looking forward to seeing you guys this week.

Vicki & Kay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:49 pm 

Sounds nice so far..

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 pm 

We missed you, have a good vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:19 am 

At home I try to write long ramblings elsewhere so I don't lose them. I'm on vacation and that's too much like work. But.......Last night I wrote this and lost it again. MNF........Touchdown......Looked up.....Left side of left had touched key board and it was gone.....Guess I'm a slow learner.........

Monday morning we were both up before sunrise. Fixed an egg sandwich before our walk. Began the walk with a quick stop at Barnacle Beach Shop. Seems the swim trunks I packed have been in the drawer way too long. They were way too small. Must have shrunk. Ended up with a bag of other clothing items.

Back down the beach it was still too early to set up chairs so we continued south. Thought we'd make it to Main Street and possibly run into Jan and Mike. Near the end Ruann started figuring distances. Ballpark numbers. Two miles when we stay at Oceans. Maybe mile and half from Peppertree. Add in the short walk up to store...... She turned at Avista.

Back and on the beach around noon. Perfect weather. Sunny and not hot. Read book and napped. Ruann found her first shark tooth and is now on a roll. She's kicking my butt finding them.
In around 4:00 for walk back to Boulineua's. Grabbed some spaghetti fixin's and salad. Back to condo to eat.
Back out to beach to read until it was too dark to see page. Hit hot tub before coming in for the evening.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:26 am 

micountrygal wrote:
lol...it's the Ravenel Bridge...and man, those Charlestonians sure are proud of it! The first time we were down there, that's all we heard..."Have you seen the bridge" and "be sure to drive over the bridge", everywhere we went! lol We're from Michigan, we have the Mackinac Bridge and weren't really impressed with theirs! :dontknow:

It blows my mind that they spent how many millions of extra dollars to add that extra lane for pedestrian traffic. Back home we can't get money to repair old or build new bridges and they get an extra lane to play in.....
I guess it draws so many people to it for fitness because it's as close many of them will ever get to a hill........Hey......You wanna workout on a hill.....Come cut my grass.......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 am 

pop2748 wrote:
Back and on the beach around noon. Perfect weather. Sunny and not hot. Read book and napped. Ruann found her first shark tooth and is now on a roll. She's kicking my butt finding them.
In around 4:00 for walk back to Boulineua's. Grabbed some spaghetti fixin's and salad. Back to condo to eat.
Back out to beach to read until it was too dark to see page. Hit hot tub before coming in for the evening.

Ahhhh perfection in Cherry Grove. Is it possible to actually miss a grocery store (Boulineau's) if so I do!!