Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:58 pm 

I've always wanted to go to MB in September and experience MB during "off season", but don't want to go if its not warm enough to enjoy the beach. May have to try early Septmember. Still sounds like you had a great time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm 

Wednesday morning it was cloudy again so we girls headed off for breakfast at the Golden Griddle. This was another first for me so I was excited to give it a try. I also made it a point to go on Wednesday so I could get the French Toast special :nanner:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=14665

After breakfast my sister in law thought it would be fun to visit some of the consignment shops she saw on our way up Hwy 17. I have been to a few nice consignment shops, but folks these were not very nice. I wouldn't waste my time again.

We made our way back to the condo and eventually to the beach for a few hours. After a short nap it was time for the meet up. This truly was one of the highlights of my trip. I love getting to know people that I really already know. Did that make sense :roll:

Before we went to the meet up we dropped my mom off at the Coastal Grand Mall so we had to go back and pick her up. She wanted to check out a shop at Market Commons so we decided we would travel that way and eat dinner somewhere there. Our choice was Gordon Biersch. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=14666

After dinner we stopped at Krispy Kreme :roll: I know call us a big bunch of piglets, but come on you can't go to the beach and not get a dozen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 pm 

MBKY,

There were very few people in the ocean. When the sun was out there were a few brave souls that ventured out, but oh my goodness they had to have been freezing. I think the last two years it has just been unseasonal cool during our trips. Of course that is the chance we take in going during the fall season. Yes, we had a wonderful trip, but I did miss the beach. It has been in the mid eighties this week in Tennessee. Now why couldn't it have been that warm last week at the beach Urgggg :mad:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote Deanna:
"After dinner we stopped at Krispy Kreme I know call us a big bunch of piglets, but come on you can't go to the beach and not get a dozen."

Truly laughing out loud! I just love this! Whenever our grown children visit, it's a TRADITION to go to Krispy Kreme. It would not be a vacation without it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:17 am 

Deanna wrote:
MBKY,

There were very few people in the ocean. When the sun was out there were a few brave souls that ventured out, but oh my goodness they had to have been freezing. I think the last two years it has just been unseasonal cool during our trips. Of course that is the chance we take in going during the fall season. Yes, we had a wonderful trip, but I did miss the beach. It has been in the mid eighties this week in Tennessee. Now why couldn't it have been that warm last week at the beach Urgggg :mad:

We are just north of you in Kentucky and the weather here has been great all September. Don't know if you just need a little more warmth for the beach, or MB has just been cooler than locations east of it. I can't complain at all about how warm September has been here at home.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 am 

Thursday morning there was the most beautiful sunrise. I had almost laid in the bed and missed it. So glad I didn't. As I was watching the sun come up I was thinking that is just a great big hug from God this morning.

During my morning walk I went down to the Apache pier. It was very clean and well kept. However, for whatever reason I think I like the 2nd Ave Pier better. I enjoyed my time taking in all the sights on the pier. I have said this before, early morning on the beach is the most peaceful place I think I have ever been. It truly is my happy place. I did notice this vacation that there were huge jelly fish washed up every morning. I had never seen jelly fish that big in Myrtle Beach. They were as big as dinner plates and they were everywhere.

For breakfast we finished up the Krispy Kreme and then we did make it an all day beach day. Mr. Sun was shining bright and I actually got a little too much sun. It was a nice relaxing fall day. After we came in from the beach I had mixed up one of my Banana Pound Cakes (now you talking about good, I should have taken a pic) and let it bake while we got ready. Our condo smelled divine by the time we left for dinner.

We are not big Italian dinner eaters. Let me rephrase Doug is not a big Italian dinner eater so we rarely eat Italian. If you haven't noticed Doug is a steak and potato kind of guy. Earlier in the week my little injured friend Pattie had suggested we take a break from steak one night and eat Italian. Sounded good to me and Doug didn't vote it down so we ended up at Rossi's. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14668

We came back to the condo after dinner and enjoyed cake and coffee with everyone. This is something we never do in July. It was nice!.

This was another great day at the beach.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:32 pm 

We woke up Friday morning to a cool, but sunny day. We had not been to the Sea Captain's House for breakfast yet so that was a must. I don't know why I never take pics of the food at Sea Captains. I forgot again. Sorry...however, I will say that it is very good and the scenery is some of the best on the Grand Strand. This is the first time we have ever had a wait for breakfast. They were very busy.

After breakfast we hit the beach. It was a much cooler day than Thursday so we didn't stay out that long. The sun was kinda in and out of the clouds with a cool breeze. The breeze was so strong at times we experienced some sand storms which in turn produced flying umbrellas.

I still had some candle shopping to do at the Yankee Outlet so my mom and I went and loaded up. There is always a candle burning in my house so this was a really good savings for me to purchase my candles at the outlet. I bought so many I about never got them to the car. Doug just rolled his eyes when I told him I saved him money.

Doug was not going to let the week go by without a trip to Carolina Roadhouse. viewtopic.php?f=53&t=14670

After dinner we strolled around Barefoot and made our only trip for the week to Maggie Moo's. I literally was sick when we left. I had went way overboard on food. My mom and I shared the Double Toffee Sundae. It was a great way to top off the week.

We got back to the condo around 8:30 and it was our plan to get up and leave around 3:30 A.M. so we would be home in time to watch the Tennessee game. Well after a few minutes of sitting around talking about our week and deciding that we had done just about everything we possibly could for the week my brother in law decided that we should just go ahead and pull out for home. I left the decision up to Doug and he made a bad one. It was a struggle driving all night for those two guys since neither had had any sleep. I had told Doug before we left that I hadn't brought my glasses and didn't feel comfortable driving at night for long distances. I honestly didn't know if we were going to make it home. We hit Knoxville and that had to be the longest ride ever. Thinking back it was very dangerous and we will never do it again. We are way too old. Not only was the no sleep dangerous, but we saw a couple of cars with possible drunk drivers and I can't tell you how many deer standing in the grass on the sides of the interstate. Nope, never again! It honestly took me two days to recover from being up all night.

Well I hope you have enjoyed my report. We did have a great week even though it was a cool one. I am sure we will return in September from time to time, but I don't think it will replace our July trip. In my opinion the weather is just too unpredictable. It was cloudy during the full moon so I didn't get to see it shining on the ocean. That was a bummer. On the flip side I enjoyed the meet up tremendously and we ate at lots of new places. Overall it was a good trip. Any trip to Myrtle is a good trip.

Just think you guys don't have to read another one of my long reports until next July. Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:59 am 

Deanna wrote:
Thanks for reading!

Thanks for sharing! Sorry the weather was cool, but it looks like it was beautiful. And I like what you said about the sunrise being a "great big hug" from God. Perfect!

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:36 pm 
Forum Support

Thanks for the wonderful trip report, reviews and pictures Deanna! :love1:

Sorry the weather was cool. :sad: We were lucky I guess to not experience that in the Fall. If we went this year, I don't think we would be able to avoid the cool temps though. I wonder how I would like it or not like it. I do love the slower pace in the Fall!

I do have a question. I see you and your mom shared meals a lot. My mom and I always thought about doing it, but never did. How does that work? Up here at home its discouraged or incurs a fee.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:59 pm 

:nanner: Awesome trip report, Deanna! So happy y’all had a great time! :nanner:

As to the weather in September, we have always had hot weather when we go during the first week. By hot I mean temps in the upper 80s to mid 90s! :sunny: We are actually seriously considering coming down later in the month next year to enjoy the cooler temps! We always take my parents to the mountains to my daddy’s family reunion over Labor Day weekend and then come down to MB to spend the rest of the week. I told Danny we should just take my parents to the reunion & come home Labor Day and then take a week to come down later in the month. We haven’t decided yet, but hey, we’ve got some time to make up our minds!

I must say, the weather here in the Upstate was just as weird the week y’all were in MB! But that’s Sept. in SC…. If you don’t like the weather, stick around… it’ll change the next day! :dontknow:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:44 pm 

Melissa,

We had no problems sharing meals. We were never changed extra and at Gordon Bierch & Rossi's they split our meals on separate plates in the kitchen. As much as we eat out on vacation there is no way I could have ate all the food. I still came home with my pants unbuttoned sharing with my mom :roll: I wouldn't be surprised if the additional charge doesn't become more popular though. We were in Nashville a few mounts ago and ran into that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:49 pm 

The charge for splitting a meal is ridiculous. Most servers will ignore the policy anyway. I don't see the big deal myself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't noticed the "sharing plates" surcharge lately (and NEVER at PF Chang.) Maybe the restaurants have lightened up, deciding it might hurt their business if they made that charge.

Another policy change I've noticed since we moved here is that it used to be really hard to find restaurants that split the costs. We had a group of around 10 women who ate together once a month, and before reserving, we ALWAYS asked if they would bill each person individually. If the answer was "no" we would move on, calling other restaurants until we found the one that said "yes." Now, there are no restaurants that say no... ay least none we have come across.

Restaurants do what they have to do to keep their businesses open and profitable.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:15 pm 

Deanna, I love reading your reports. You always take such time with details and I love all the restaurant reviews, especially the pictures. It sounded like a great get away even if it wasn't as sunny and hot as it is in July. The trip home sounded less enjoyable. Travelling when you are tired seems to take forever and can be dangerous. Glad you had a safe trip.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 pm 

I really enjoyed your report Deanna and it was great to finally meet you! The weather was a bit warmer our second week, but it still wasn't as warm as what we have experienced in past years.

Vacation pics 2014