Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:07 am 

Hello everyone!!!

So I got to marry my best friend on Friday 9/6.. I won't get into that because it'd make it SOOO much longer, but it was great. We got married outside in a park and the weather was perfect. After the wedding we all met back at my moms' house to finish packing the cars. Before we actually left town, we stopped for dinner at Chipotle, and for gas and coffee. I think it was about 8pm when we were finally on our way. The ride was pretty uneventful, and we stopped in Rocky Mount, NC for the night. We stayed at a Hampton and it was pretty snazzy. I've never been to one before. We were SO tired from having a wedding and then driving 5 hours, so we went right to bed. The next morning we got up and ate at the breakfast bar, showered and checked out with the other members of our caravan (my mom and her husband John, My step sister and her boyfriend and their 3 year old son). The ride on 95 Saturday morning was pretty awful. There were tons of cars all grouped together and everyone was going about 85. I was so glad to finally get off 95 at south of the border. The rest of our family kept going to SOB, but we wanted to stop. As cheesy as it is, Anthony and I both really enjoy it. We went in the coffee shop, the myrtle beach store, and then walked around and got pictures with some of the animals and statues. We spent and hour there before getting back on the road. The final 2 hours of the trip went pretty well, and traffic wasn't too bad at all until we hit Ocean Blvd. See, we've never gotten here on a saturday (normally we come on sunday) and i'm not used to the horrible traffic. We sat on Ocean blvd for over 15 minutes to go a couple blocks to our hotel. We got there right as my mom was checking everyone in, so it worked perfectly. After being in the car for another 5 hours on saturday, we decided we weren't unpacking or going to the grocery store, we were going to hit the pools, and relax for a bit. It was so nice to not be rushing back out the door. After awhile though, hunger caught up to us and we decided to go to River City in Surfside in dinner. Well, 6:30pm was a BAD time to show up, because the place was PACKED. Somehow though, we got a seat right away. It was inside, but I didn't really mind because I was just so hungry. The food was delicious as always. We took a stroll out on the pier after dinner and watched a wedding on the beach. It was hard to believe that that was us just one day before! On the way back from surfside, we hit the Piggly Wiggly in Market Commons for our groceries. This store is so confusing, but we love it. The isles are clearly meant to make you walk in every which way to buy things you don't need :BandHead: but we managed to find everything we need.

Back at the hotel, we stopped in to visit our parents and my nephew for a bit. He was getting a little cranky so we decided to come up and head to bed ourselves, however the balcony was calling our name so we sat out there for quite awhile watching the people below sing karaoke. We eventually got too tired to sit up and longer and called it a night.

Day 2:
We woke up about 8am and ate a small breakfast on the balcony. Afterwards, we put on our running clothes and went out for a 4 mile run along ocean blvd. It was HOT, but we made it. We came back up and rinsed off and then went down to the pool, where coincidentally we ran into the rest of the family. We played with my nephew in the indoor pool for quite a while before we went out on the beach. The weather was perfect and we were out there all day, mostly on the beach. I ate way too much junk and drank too much coffee. Oh well! Anthony and I had to head up at about 4ish because we were meeting Katie John for pictures at 6:30. As we were standing in the room just before we were about to leave, we realized that we had forgotten to return Anthony's tux yesterday when we got here and now we only had 20 minutes to find Mens Wearhouse and deliver the tux. It was a mad dash, but we got there just in time. We then drove up to 65th ave north to the public beach access and met Katie and Leo. They were great. We took pictures on the beach and dunes. I can't wait to see them! We headed back to the hotel so I could get out of my wedding dress and decide about dinner. We picked Abuelos. My mom had gotten us a gift card because it is one of our favorite places, so over we went. 8pm was the best time to get there. It was dead. The food was great! We were trying to decide what to do when we got back but after eating we were just too tired. We went back down to the hot tubs for a bit and then came up and laid in bed with the TV on. We didn't even go visit my parents. We were just TOO tired!!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:53 am 

Congratulations to the new bride and groom. A week in Myrtle Beach sounds like a wonderful start to a marriage. May you have many many years of health and happiness. Lucky you for getting to meet Leo and Katie. I have wanted to meet them for years. Always heard such nice things about them. I am sure your photos will be great. Anxiously awainting the next installment of your trip report.
Judy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

I95 can be a real mess. I have driven up to VA several times this year....sometimes with Wally and other times by myself. I absolutely hate it

I know there are a lot of people who stop at SOB because it has become a tradition with decades of family members. It's part of a MB vacation!

So happy you are having a wonderful honeymoon! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 pm 

Congratulations. You have anticipated this holiday for so long and it sounds like it is all good. I am enjoying your report and look forward to pictures. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:44 am 

Congratulations! Wishing you many years of happiness and a wonderful honeymoon in paradise! :sunny:

Vacation pics 2014

Last edited by Jan on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 am 

Congrats!! :wav: :wav:

I spent my honeymoon in MB with my family too...15 years ago! It was THE BEST!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 am 

Sorry for the delay everyone!!! The wifi at Coral Beach was atrocious and I decided that trip report would have have wait until we got back!!! I will post the next installment very soon!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:08 pm 

Day 3:
Monday was spent entirely on the beach and in the pools. We were glad because we had to cut the day short on Sunday because of our wedding pictures. I don’t remember anything special standing out about this day; we just spend all day “beachin’ it”. Since it was Monday, we knew we wanted to watch Monday Night Football somewhere since my Husband is an Eagles fan. My mom had bought us tickets for the sky wheel for our honeymoon (among a bunch of other gifts!) so we decided we’d walk down to the downtown area and ride the sky wheel and then grab dinner and watch the game at Landshark. We grabbed some coffee from the coffee shop and started walking towards downtown. I realized after we’d been walking for about 5 minutes that we had forgotten the tickets and we had to turn around and head back to get them. Once we got going again, we decided we’d hit the boardwalk area to walk in. Anthony had never seen it before. It’s so pretty. We enjoyed the walk down and took a lot of pictures along the way. We got on the Sky Wheel right away. It was so nice seeing MB from above. I’d say going around 6 pm was a great time to go. I can’t imagine you can see all the detail if you go once the sun went down. The ride was VERY smooth and not scary at all. I’m not afraid of heights but even for me, stopping at the very top made me a little uneasy! We took lots of pictures and got off after we went around about 4 times. Landshark is right outside of it so we walked over and planted ourselves right in front of a TV in the bar area. When ordering my burger, I asked if they could give it to me without a bun (because I have Celiac disease) and the guy told me they had Gluten Free buns which made me so happy!! Most places do not have these and I end up eating my burger with a knife and fork. He also said they could make me Gluten free tater tots or fries too! I was delighted to hear this. The menu here is pretty tiny. It’s just a place to go to get more lite options than an actual dinner, which was good for us because we were snacking all day sitting down at the beach. We watched 3 quarters of the football game there before starting to get restless. The Eagles had a pretty good lead, so we decided to leave. I really wanted to head over to The Bowery because I really love the fun atmosphere in there. Anthony had also never been here either so we went there next. We stayed there awhile and enjoyed the music and left around midnight. We still had to make the 1.5 mile walk back to the hotel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:09 pm 

Day 4: Today was not a beach day. My mom had purchased tickets for us to go to Wonderworks, and we decided to take one full day to be away from the beach because we also had a Kayak tour later on in the day. We got up early and ate breakfast in the room and then headed over to BATB. Wonderworks was awesome!! So much cool stuff to do. We rode a virtual roller coaster, laid on a bed of nails, played mind ball (a relaxation game), played with bubbles, played zombie kick ball, did the indoor rope course (my favorite), did laser tag, and a bunch more things!! We spent about 4 hours here. Mom also paid for us to do Zip lining and the outdoor ropes course. These were really fun too! It was really HOT outside so we were really sweating during the ropes course outside. We got some food in Wonder works before going outside and I have to say they were the best French fries I had the entire week. Yum!! Because we were on our Honeymoon we decided to splurge and buy a few of the pictures they took of us while we were zip lining. After that we decided we should eat some lunch before we headed up to Cherry Grove to do our Kayak tour. I’ve heard pretty good things about Liberty and so we walked over to the Liberty at BATB. It was pretty dead right at lunch time. We decided to eat outside, which I later regretted. It was SO hot outside. Anthony and I both got the Filet mignon and it was delicious. We didn’t hang out long when we were done eating because I was so tired of sweating! I really wanted to look around at BATB but decided we could have to come at night when the sun wasn’t shining. We drove back to the hotel and actually had some time to spare so we decided to enjoy the indoor pool to cool off for a while. We changed into dry bathing suits and clothing and got in the car and headed up to Cherry Grove to meet our tour guide from J&L Kayak. We found the launch dock pretty easily and lathered up in sunblock before meeting our guide Adam. He gave us some brief instructions on how to paddle, and general things to know about kayaks. I was pretty excited to get going. We were doing the couples tour (maybe even called Honeymoon tour?) where they take you to this little island and let you explore around. He said it was about a 2 mile “swim” but not sure if that was one way or total. We got going and it was REALLY windy. This made for very choppy water and even little breakers we were going over in the water. We were pretty close to the ocean and I was getting nervous about my Kayak flipping. My arms started hurting pretty quickly and I developed blisters on both of my thumbs, but we kept at it. It was A LOT harder than I thought it would be. Adam kept saying that the wind was making it difficult and it wasn’t normally like this! Because it was so windy, we also couldn’t hear each other talking! We finally got to the island and got out of the Kayaks. We had two hours to roam the island and our guide would wait for us. He told us we could take longer if we wanted, he didn’t mind. The island was beautiful! It was so vast that taking pictures of it just didn’t do it justice. The sand near the dunes was powdery and soft like nothing I’ve ever felt before!! I also found a huge completely intact seashell that we brought back with us. We just walked around and took a lot of pictures. We came back about 30 minutes early because there wasn’t much to do. When we got back the tour guide had set up a blanket with sparkling grape juice and took some pictures of us, and then let us alone for a little bit longer. It was very pretty and nice to have that time since we didn’t get it at the wedding. The guide also caught 3 blue crab that he gave to us!! We got in the kayaks to head back and the wind had really died down. This kayaking thing was REALLY easy now! Almost effortless. Our guide said “This is how it was supposed to be going out!” and I was relieved that I just wasn’t being a wimp! The way back we all just talked and snapped some pictures. We got back and helped the guide load the items in his trailer. We really enjoyed our guide. He was really talkative and seemed genuinely happy for us and gave us a lot of tips on local restaurants that weren’t tourist traps! He even showed us how to get back from Cherry Grove so that we didn’t hit a bunch of traffic lights (via 31). We were so hungry when we were heading back, but we smelled like salt water and were still wet from water splashing in the kayaks so we didn’t want to stop somewhere. We’d been going going going all day, and we were just ready to be back at the hotel. We ended up just eating in our room that night and then sat with our family out on the deck and listened to people sing karaoke and the DJ before heading off to bed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:13 pm 

Day 5:
I don’t remember much about this either. It was another beach all day kinda day. I do know that around lunch time all the men left and got pizza for everyone from Mellow Mushroom and we ate on the beach! We love this place because they have gluten free pizza that my mom and I can enjoy! Later on in the afternoon our relative Tayler (who goes to school at Coastal) came to hang out on the beach with us for a little bit. We all decided that crab legs sounded good for dinner so we showered up and headed out to Benjamin’s for dinner. It was a nice time and the food was good. We headed back to the hotel after that and said our goodbyes to Tayler. I don’t really remember what we did after that. Probably sat in my mom’s room and played with my nephew until we went to bed. That’s usually how we ended our night. My poor nephew was sick all week with tummy issues and he didn’t really get to enjoy his week at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:14 pm 

Day 6: Thursday consisted of the most beach time we had this week. Up early, down to the beach, pools and hot tubs. We beached all day and stayed out a bit later than we did all week. We knew that our time with the beach was quickly coming to an end and didn’t want to part with the shore. However, Anthony and I knew that we really wanted to go to BATB to go shopping as there were a few stores that were a MUST for me to visit, so we showered and headed over to BATB. I think we got there close to 7 if not a little after 7. We went into TERVIS first and both got some tumbler travel mugs with our favorite hockey team logos. I also went to The Mole Hole and got two Pandora beads for my bracelet. One was beach ball to represent our honeymoon and the other was called “Forget me Knot” which is two ropes intertwined together to represent our marriage, since I didn’t like the actual wedding ones. I was having such a good time and realized that within the hour the stores would be closing. I think 9pm is a little early in a tourist town, but oh well. At that time we were waiting on reservations at Sweet Caroline’s? Or Carolinas? Not sure. The menu looked awesome but they were having some sort of issue with the kitchen being backed up. I decided to take our name off the list and continue shopping before the stores closed. We walked around for a while longer and visited quite a few more stores. We decided to be daring and get ice cream before we had dinner! We stopped at Ben & Jerry’s and ate it outside on the bench and watched that sport boat in the water. I was starting to get tired and hungry so we decided we should find a place to eat. We picked this place called Carlos N’ Charlies. It looked pretty cool inside so we went in. It was another Mexican place. I wasn’t really impressed with the food at all. The atmosphere was cool, but the food tasted like it came from a box and didn’t have much flavor. One thing however, was that the servings were HUGE. We packed up half of our meals and took them with us. On the way back neither Anthony nor I felt very good, so we didn’t do much else that night. We met my family out on the deck and enjoyed another night of people watching. After my nephew drug us all back to my mom’s room to play with cars, I started feeling better which was good. I hate feeling sick on vacation. After that we hit the bed dreading our last day at the beach.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:23 pm 

So glad to read your report. Happy to hear you had a great honeymoon. I did my honeymoon in myrtle beach as well........1996 hurricane Fran we were gone in 3 days. but we had one helluva 3 days!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Loved your trip report, Brittany! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Kayaking can get tough when you get into high winds. Glad it was easier on you coming back. Thanks for taking the time to write this great honeymoon review!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:17 pm 
Forum Support

Wonderful trip report! Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed reading it. :cool:

Your report inspired me to ask Patrish about starting a Special Dietary Requirements forum. A place where people can share their experiences at various restaurants. Also if people are looking for places to eat with various foods that meet their dietary requirements. She gave me me go-ahead and I started it.

So if you would like to, I would encourage you to post your experiences as someone with Celiac disease. That way its easier to reference in the future for others. Hopefully others will do the same and we can have a nice reference for everyone.

viewforum.php?f=150

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:36 pm 

What a great honeymoon/vacation...You really did a lot...no wonder you were tired in the evenings! Thanks so much for writing about it.