Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:28 am 

We had a wonderful week and the weather couldn't have been better. I think we had about 1/2 hour of rain the entire trip! We couldn't have asked for more!

Sunday we left about 3 am and made it to our home by 2:30. A uneventful trip is what we always pray for and that is what we got! The water at the house came right on and we showered and headed right back out! We ate at the BBQ House in NMB for the first night. We had a buy one entree get one free from this site http://findnsave.thesunnews.com/Local-A ... ertainment and the food was good as always.
After dinner we headed directly to the beach to get our first glimpse of Mother Ocean and she did not disappoint! Symon (our son) took this photo as we were climbing the dunes to catch our glimpse. I am actually having it blown up for our wall. I thought it came out AMAZING... Can you not feel the Myrtle Beach peace just emanating from it?? No, I am not getting all "cosmic" on you. It just really captured the beauty of the beach I believe.
Image[/url]

After our walk we headed to Kroger in NMB for our supplies. We have totally given up on WalMart for our arrival night shopping. It's just too much of a zoo :toofless: . Kroeger is our new go to place; clean, great prices, and calm :wink: . After shopping we fell into bed and anticipated our first full beach day!

Monday we spent the day at the beach (shocker). Packed our cooler and laid around soaking the rays, reading, and walking the beach. Perfection! We packed up around three and headed back to the house. Dinner was to be at Chucks Steak House. It was good, not great, just good. I am sorry to say this but this is the first trip in many many years we weren't "wowed" by many of our meals. Not sure if maybe it was the end of the season and everyone was all cooked out but seriously we were not thrilled by the food this trip. After Chucks we went back to the beach and walked around for the evening. I love the beach towards dusk and this night was no exception...

Tuesday we again headed to the shore to do more of the same "beachin it" as we call it here on the board. Another really lovely day weather wise.
We ordered a new queen pillow top mattress for our bedroom at the house and delivery was to be between 3:30-5:30. 2:00 we packed up and showered waiting for the delivery and waited and waited. OK so finally it arrived and it's amazing what a new mattress can do for your sleep. After the arrival we decided to try the newly opened Flounders World Famous Fish House in Cherry Grove. Review Here viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14607

The next installment is where it really picks up :wink: :sunny:

Last edited by Sun n' Fun on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:29 am 

Great report - THANKS ! And a great shot..... you and Patrish will have some great photo-rivalry going on :nanner:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:49 am 

Wednesday we were up super early as we had reservations for Cap'n Rod's Lowcountry Tours out of Georgetown. We needed to board by 9:00 am so we left Longs around 7:30 and we just made it! It was a bit of a hike but worth it. We opted for the Shell Island/Lighthouse cruise that was about 4 hours and $30 pp.

The ride out to the island took about an hour and while cruising Cap'n Rod explained the history of the area and all the sights we were to see. The water was calm and the ride easy. We got to the island and were told to be back to the boat by 11:30. The Cap'n said to walk pass the jetty to find the best shells. We did..almost everyone did. The shells were mostly oyster shells but it was still fun. The only drawback was it was a lot of awkward walking. I mean I guess you could of just stayed on the boat or right near the docked boat but there wasn't much there. The walk to the jetty we found out later was 1.5 miles and we all went past that. So we all walked about 4 miles total up sand dunes, through, rising tides, and rocks. The amount of walking wasn't the problem I think it was more of the conditions you had to walk through. It was fun though. The island seemed like it's own entity. Barren, white washed, and albeit a bit eerie.
Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

After the tour we headed back for about another hour or so ride along a different path. We got to see the dolphins swimming along with us and even a gator or two. We passed the lighthouse but couldn't get off.
Image[/url]

The Cap'n did talk quite a bit and it was very informative. If your looking for a peaceful quiet cruise through the waters this is not the tour for you. We are glad we did it and I would recommend it for those looking for an adventure of sorts. We were also told we could take anything back from the island as long as one person was able to carry it. Thank God for Symon. We found a stunning piece of driftwood I wanted for in front of our home that had to weigh about 50 pounds. No, I'm not kidding! Sy carried/dragged this thing for about 1.5 miles bless his soul :wink: . It now sits proudly in front of our house in Longs. We just need a bunch of oyster shells to complete the decor :geek: . Here we are trying to shove the limb into the back of the Dodge :BandHead:

Image[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:24 pm 

I love that piece of driftwood! Sounds like a great trip out to the Island. I've always wanted to try a boat trip, but so afraid of motion sickness.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 pm 

Sounds great so far Emmy!!! I wish I could see the pics, but I am work. I will have to check again from home!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:40 pm 

Emmy, I love the driftwood. We have a large piece of driftwood in our front garden from Lake Huron. They look quite different. I love the smooth surface on yours.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:17 pm 

WVParkfan wrote:
I love that piece of driftwood! Sounds like a great trip out to the Island. I've always wanted to try a boat trip, but so afraid of motion sickness.

Scott

This was pretty calm by all means Scott. The only time I felt a bit "funny" actually was when he stopped the boat to point something out. Paul told me to stare at a screw on the side of the boat and that helped a bit :dontknow:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:49 pm 

Sounds like you had a great time. Can't believe "official" summer vacation season has came to an end. :cry: I'm not ready to let go of sunshine and my flip flops.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:45 pm 

I love going on boats. My vacation isn't complete without a boat ride. Did the boat twice in Georgetown but not the one u did. This year we will go on one.

Loving the pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Wonderful photos and trip report, Emmy! Great shot of the lighthouse, and that piece of driftwood is a real treasure...it's beautiful! Sooooooo glad you had a good time!

Sorry we couldn't get together this time, but Wally and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:21 pm 

After the boat ride and the adventure of jamming the piece of driftwood in the car we realized we needed to eat something as it was already 1:30 and we hadn't even had breakfast. We walked along the shops/restaurants on Front St. in Georgetown and found Thomas Cafe http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... olina.html
If you have ever seen the movie My Cousin Vinny this restaurant could of been from there. Remember the scene where they looked at the menu and all that was written was "Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner." Yup, this is the place. The food was GREAT!!! I had the special of pot roast over rice and three sides for $7.95. Paul had an amazing Reuben, and Sy a huge meaty BLT. Both guys had an order of onion rings and they declared they were the BEST ever. That's pretty high praise from my guys :hello: . So, if you are ever in Georgetown this is the place for a great lunch!

That evening we got back to the house and changed. We decided to just sit on the beach for a while. Again, I have come to the conclusion it's my favorite time of day to just relax and watch the waves! The guys starting getting hungry but we all decided on something light. Basil's pizza in Cherry Grove was directly in front of us...so pizza it was. We just shared a large plain pizza. Now, I have ALWAYS sang the praises of Basil's pizza. We have eaten there often. Well, you know the large metal pizza pans pizza comes out on? The large pizza didn't even come close to filling the pan. It was so much smaller that a regular large. We actually asked if they had made a mistake and given us a smaller size. Nope, that was a large :dontknow: Way way different from our last visit. Paul thinks maybe Flounders that opened right next store to them could be seriously hurting their business. This is not the way to have return customers though even if you are hurting...

Thursday was a bit overcast and we decided this was the day to meet with our Realtor. We looked at houses and then took the Realtor out to breakfast at Golden Griddle in NMB http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... lina.html!! I have to say this was by far the best meal of our trip! Everything was hot, fresh, and yummy! Really good!

Now what I am about to tell needs to be prefaced with the "Small World" song from Disney. Ready "it's a small world after all... While we were looking at a house in a small subdivision in the backwoods of Longs SC a couple who owned the house across from the one we were looking at stopped us. They had watched our car pull in and had waited for us to leave. They saw we were from NY and told us they were from NY as well. They were actually from our next town over Yorktoen, where Paul grew up and has worked for 30 years! Now it gets crazier..so Paul and they are talking about mutual people they know etc. and Sy is in the backseat with the tinted windows up. The whispering conversation between Sy and I goes as follows...
"Ma, they look like customers from my store." (he works as a Supervisor for EMC Pet Co.)
"Sy, seriously I doubt it"
"No, they look really familiar"
"Sy everyone looks familiar to you"
"Whatever Mom"

So being the good mother I am I politely ask these strangers from the middle of nowhere if they ever shopped at my son's store and Paul rolled down the back window. The couple screeched "SYMON!!" "Buddy, how are you" "This is wild Symon! So great to see you!!"
OK, so whatever, maybe he did know them :wink: You all can stop singing now!

That afternoon Symon had a surfing lesson with Kokopelli Surf Camp next to the Cherry Grove Pier at Prince Resort! http://kokopellisurfcamp.com/ This and the boat trip where both new activities to us so that made it all the more fun! Sy took a one on one lesson with this great young man Tyler. According to Tyler he was a "natural." Honestly, we assumed he would be. He just has the body type and the personality...lol. So for $65 he got a private surf lesson and did amazingly!

He loved it and had a great time...UNTIL (did you see this coming??) he and the instructor where called out of the water because 2 (yes 2) 6 foot sharks were next to them!!! WHAT!!!!! It seems warm water had brought them in and earlier that morning, the lifeguard explained, a young person had been bit down towards south MB. The instructor seemed totally unfazed though Sy did have a slight look of "TERROR" :shock: :shock: in his eyes but hey, he was fine :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

That was an amazing coincidence! Makes you wonder what are the chances. Something like that would make me want to buy a lottery ticket!

Great photos of Sy on the surfboard! Did he buy one, or is that part of the lesson? He looks really good out there and probably can't wait to do it again.

We've never been to Basil's pizza , but I know you used to love it. I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience, but I'll bet this is the beginning of a backslide for them.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:51 am 

After Sy's close encounter :geek: we headed over to Boulineaus to pick up and take out some chicken and salad. We got 9 pieces of fried chicken for like $11 (leftovers were eaten for lunch) and an amazing salad from their salad bar for like $9. The salad bar was extensive and you paid by the pound. We loaded ours up with all kinds of veggies, nuts, berries, cheese etc. Now, here is something we didn't know. They weighed the dressing containers with the salad :BandHead: . So, our two containers of ranch dressing added quite a bit of weight to the total. Next time we will just pick up a bottle. This meal was perfect!! The chicken was crispy and not at all greasy! The salad hit the spot as well. We ate at home...YAY! and enjoyed it very much!

Friday morning we woke to see this "cutie" waiting at our front door

OK what's up with southern bugs??? Seriously, we needed a tennis racket to kill this one. He laughed at the fly swatter that we attempted to destroy him with. Actually, Paul didn't kill he he helped him "relocate" to another area of the yard :notworthy:

We headed to the beach and got there early as the crowds would be gathering at Labor Day weekend was upon us. The beach before things got crazy :geek:

We had been pretty busy during the past few days so we just took it easy and rested on Friday. We read on the beach and just enjoyed the amazing weather.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:03 pm 

Friday evening we the guys wanted all you can eat crab legs. We usually go to Giant Crab and that suits of fine. We wanted to try something new and ended up at Bennett's Calabash Seafood in NMB. All I can say is just keep driving, do not stop...

Saturday was another beautiful day. The weather had been so lovely we were just amazed after all the rain we had heard the beach was getting! Spent the morning you know where doing you know what :wink: . Then we packed up early and headed back to the house. Mass was at 5:00 so we wanted to get there in time as the traffic had really started picking up for Labor Day. After a great service at Our Lady Star of the Sea NMB we headed to Carrabba's where the wait was 50 minutes...nope not happening. We drove down 17 a bit and hit upon Villa Tuscanaa. We had never eaten there so we figured...let's go for it. Review viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14616

We headed back to the house to pack up and as always Paul wouldn't let me visit the ocean for the last night...probably for the best :sad: .

We left around 8:30 am the next morning and planned on spending the night in VA. but the traffic was fine so we cancelled our reservations and made it back home by 9:15 pm. It was another wonderful MB vacation and we can't wait to return!

As we were leaving Sun. morning I spotted a corn field about a mile from our home and these amazing flowers were all entwined within the stalks. I actually made Paul stop so I could capture their rural beauty! Haven't a clue what they were but so very pretty!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:36 pm 

Your trip reports are always enjoyable, Emmy. Maybe someday I will remember to post pictures. I had a feeling you would love Golden Griddle. There is nothing special about the place. It is just a good breakfast with reasonable prices. After staying in Crescent Beach this year, I told my wife we will definitely go back to Cherry Grove. There was nothing wrong with Crescent. It just did not feel like home. Thanks again for a great report.