Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:42 am 

I thank you folks for your encouragement. Writing satirically is harder than speaking it. Imagine if you actually met me...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:16 am 

That might be worth the drive from here to Myrtle Beach.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:47 am 

Wednesday was quite possibly the oddest day of the week, after the previous night's debacle with alcohol. My crew of three continued our vacation just as the previous days allowed. I've neglected to mention that we hadn't seen even a single drop of rain thus far and that the clouds have been non existent along the coast. I was bronzing to near perfection at this point and anything darker was just icing on the cake.

We were splashing about in the pool all morning and hadn't seen our friends. We were assuming that headaches and upset stomachs were probably occurring. It was nearly 1PM when we noticed they ventured toward the beach without so much as a wave to say hi or anything. When we later ventured out to the beach ourselves, they were all in the ocean and we meandered over to their area. It was very awkward and I to this day have no idea why. It seemed ALL of them were in bad moods and wanted nothing to do with each other nor us. After a few minutes, we gave up and just let them know that we had intended on going to dinner by ourselves that evening. They claimed to have plans of their own as well. Perhaps we just needed a break from each others' vacation styles. I don't know.

The three of us put on our Sunday best for a meal at Villa Romana. Kristi and I had been there a few years ago with a friend and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We were skeptical of taking Devin as it's not necessarily the highest class place but it's not exactly kid friendly. If you've never been, it's probably the most authentic Italian place I've ever been. I chuckle lightly as many of you are possibly questioning a person of my character on my fine dining experiences. While I come off as uncouth, vulgar and classless, I can be whatever I want to be at any given time. I know how to appreciate things. While I prefer a T-shirt and jeans, I can dress myself up and make it look good too. A burger and fries are fine most of the time, but a dish of Frutti di Mare can make my mouth water just thinking about it.

We walked in just before 5PM and were seated promptly. Reservations are recommended but if you go early enough, it's never an issue. Our waiter was very genuine and attentive. I didn't see any playful banter to take advantage of and rightfully so. I like to give service folks a hard time to make their night more enjoyable. By hard time, I mean joke around with them. Kristi ordered Ronaldo's Creation which is twin chicken breastes wrapped around prosciutto and spinach covered in an orange sauce and pine nuts. I had the Saltimbocca Alla Romana which is veal. Both meals were divine! They come with fresh bread, salad, soup and a side of pasta. Devin ordered the kid's cheese ravioli which he devoured like he hadn't eaten in years. Since we arrived before 6PM, the bill was automatically reduced by 20%. It was the second best meal of the week for me, though I think Kristi enjoyed it the most.

We headed out to Broadway at the Beach after dinner just to browse around and kill some time until the fireworks on the beach. We slipped in and out of a few shops, bought some coffee at Starbucks and enjoyed people watching. I found a pair of sunglasses at Sunglass Hut that I adored but wasn't in the mood to spend $90. I found them on Amazon for $65 later when I got home. Still pondering that purchase to this day.

We returned to the resort and made our way to the beach to catch the pier fireworks show. I text Jeff to see if they were headed back to the beach with us. They were apparently on their way but we never did see them. I guess we did something wrong? Anyway, great fireworks show and we headed to bed. Only two more days left!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:35 am 
Site Admin

We always enjoy Villa Romana! They opened in 1985 and are still going strong. That alone says a lot about them! Glad to hear you (and especially Devin) enjoyed your meal there!

Hope you and your friends got got things sorted things out before the end of your vacation.

Thanks again for sharing your vacation with us!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:47 am 

This is better than "Days of our Lives". Can't wait for the next episode :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:59 pm 

I'm just keeping this page up and hitting "refresh" every 30 mins.... :nanner:

Did the Phrogster make amends with his friends ? Did his friends miss dinner and the beach due to an upcoming AA meeting ? Perhaps there was a mega-sale at Greens Beverages ?

Inquiring minds need to know !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:26 am 

Thursday started off cloudy and extremely humid. The condensation was dripping off the exterior panes of glass on the balcony door. The clouds hadn't quite met the horizon leaving the sunrise to be something magical! The dark red blast from outer space was screaming to get though the overcast sky but to no avail. It soon disappeared leaving us thirsty for more. We made our way downstairs anyway praying for its glorious return. The pool and ocean were warm but the air felt rather chilly. I didn't get into the water too much and instead sipped on my wonderful mixture of barley, hops and water.

Our friends actually made their way down shortly before 11:00 much to our surprise. We had lost our normal pool side chairs because we came down later than normal. Dawn and Jeff invited us to move our things nearer them which we gladly obliged. The conversation was quiet and seemed awkward at first. But, I was working on a decent buzz so my "give-a-shit" wasn't working. I attacked them with a slurry of words acting as if nothing had happened over the last two days. To hell with them, I thought. I don't know what the issue is but I'll be damned if I let it be me!! No one can ignore Phroggy for too long!

We chit chatted about this and that; dinner, what they did afterward, etc etc. Due to the cloudy weather, it was suggested that perhaps lunch at Nacho Hippo was the way to go rather than dinner. I was all ears at this point. The mere whisper of said establishment gives me goose bumps. Damn. I just started shivering here at home. It's so flippin good!!!! We kept talking for a little while longer and soon realized that the clouds were disappearing inland. Instead, we settled on the idea of heading downtown around 4 and strolling along for no good reason other than we could before heading to dinner.

We parked the vehicles, paid our money and walked to the boardwalk. Neither Jeff nor I had our phones so when the ladies all decided that we could go along while they shopped, I didn't think we'd be able to find each other. So, Jeff and I stopped at Moe Moon's with the boys and had a beer. Ok, the boys didn't. They had water and Sprite while Jeff and I sipped on Shock Top. We had ordered our second round when the ladies came around the corner. The boys and one girl all went to ride the sky wheel while the rest of us had some more drinks. I picked up the tab because that's what Phroggs do. No hard feelings, right?

We headed to Nacho Hippo and waited about a half hour for a table. We ended up sitting outside under the awning which was perfect. The heat was low and the humidity was still high. It soon began to rain but at a nice steady pace. It was rather relaxing. I ordered a Bud Light Lime because they're $2 all day every day. We ordered nachos and a quesadilla. The quesadilla ended up being too spicy for Kristi so I ate the entire thing plus half the nachos. I sat by Dawn and Jeff's boy whom I picked on pretty good. We were playing back and forth when suddenly, the parents started giving him crap for no reason. I looked at them dead in the eye and told them to go scratch their asses. The kid was fine. Besides, I instigated it. Apparently, that pissed them off. We finished eating without so much as another peep from their end of the table. We paid our bill and they headed back to the resort while the three of us strolled through Market Common. Ugh! Why do people have to be like that on vacation!! The final day is coming.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:35 am 

OMG - I'm sitting on the edge of my recliner here..... :chairfall:

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:49 am 

That would just be miserable and awkward. When it is family who is acting like a butt you just go on and don't think a thing about it, but another family that you don't know that well :roll: Can't wait to hear if you guys are still on speaking terms. Sure does make for an exciting trip report.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:23 pm 

Before the trip ever began, Kristi had stated repeatedly her desire to go shopping at Tanger on King's Road. We've been to the 501 location as well but greatly prefer the former. She had mentioned this to Dawn who was happy to accompany her, or so she stated earlier in the week. The days rolled by and Dawn failed to make good on her promise. So Friday was the day and I chose to take Kristi. We started our morning later than normal and didn't leave the hotel until 9:30 as Tanger doesn't open until 10:00. We stopped at Dunkin Donuts for coffee and a dozen. We had a coupon as well as a gift card that someone gave us so you Krispy Kreme addicts can just sit quiet and understand that free food is free food! Man, those places are busy that time of morning! It was a fight just to get in the door and the donuts were well picked over. Still, I got my beloved coffee so I was happy.

We arrived at Tanger and fought the early morning heat and humidity. Devin was ridiculously hyper and I was growing tired of threatening his life. He finally admitted to me that he lied about taking his daily pills. See, he suffers from ADHD as well as anxiety and we're trying to get in completely under control. The pills help him immensely. I wasn't a believer in the said disease until I met this kid. Still, I think it's over diagnosed. Most kids just need a good butt beating to let them know they're not the boss.

Anyway, we were in and out of the various stores doing mild damage. Most stores I have no interest in but two in particular.... yeah I could spend a fortune. The Nautica store is one of my favorites and we did purchase a couple of things. Then, I popped into the Oakley Vault. Velvet ropes parted, trumpets played and champagne fell from the heavens. Phroggy was in clothing and accessory paradise! I ended up buying a kick ass polo but could easily have dropped about $1,000 in there. I had to control myself.

We took jetted out of there sometime after 2 that afternoon which was ironic in that Kristi promised me it wouldn't be a four hour ordeal. She didn't spend that much so I was ok with it I guess. It was what it was.

On our way back to the resort, we're cruising south on King's Highway at 45mph. I noticed the Pepsi semi truck in front of us and he had his signal on to change lanes from the middle lane to the right lane. I also noticed the moron lady pulling out of the gas station into the right lane. Yeah, glass and plastic went flying everywhere right in front of us. It made a hell of a boom. None of us even really slowed down at all. Who could in all that traffic?? That poor truck driver had the rest of his day just shot because of some idiot not paying attention. Ridiculous!

We unloaded the stuff so we could pack it up for the next day's trip home. The beach was screaming for us and we hurried to get down there. Unfortunately, the lifeguards had the blue "Aquatic Danger" flags flying so we just stuck to the pool. I fell asleep in a chair while the other two splashed about enjoying as much as they could the rest of the vacation. None of us wanted to go back out for dinner so we just ordered Papa John's which is like three blocks from the hotel.

Later that evening, I stepped out onto the balcony to catch as much eye candy as I could before turning in. The moon was blood red!! I'd never seen the moon look like that. In fact, the moon was gorgeous all week. It was a silver/blue shimmering off the crashing waves. It was mesmerizing if not hypnotizing. But that last night, boy it was something even more special. Kristi and I headed down to the sun deck to enjoy the evening and watch the people dance and sing at the beach bar area. Dawn and Jeff joined us a short while later and we actually had a few laughs. Awkward, but still enjoyable. Kristi and I headed back up just after 9:30 to finish packing. We wanted to be on the road by 7 Saturday morning. We discussed with Dawn and Jeff about having one of their kids ride back with us. I wasn't about to let them cram themselves in for the car ride home. That would be asinine. It was settled that one of the girls would ride with us rather than their little boy. I was thankful for that as the boys would have just argued for 10 hours straight. Not how I wanted to end my trip.

So there you have it, folks. I have nothing against our friends and I believe Kristi doesn't either. I'm certain that their issue wasn't with us but rather something else. It just sucked that it seemed like we'd crossed them in some manner. Would I go on vacation with them again? Absolutely. One condition: NO KIDS!! Adults only. We're still chatting here and there; no more and no less than before I suppose. I enjoyed my trip to the best of my ability. Hell, a bad day of vacation is still better than a good day at work.

CHEERS!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

I loved your trip report, Phroggy! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it, and to share it with all of us!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:52 pm 

That was entertaining! I am going to remember this trip report for a long time. Thanks for sharing the good and the bad with us.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:00 pm 

It was entertaining...thoroughly enjoyed by me!!!! did not want it to end...thankyou!