Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:22 pm 

Oh where to begin! First things first, I suppose. A few years back, Kristi and I became acquainted with a couple via another now-defunct Myrtle Beach message forum. These folks live just a couple of hours from us and we hit it off right from the start. They're just a couple of years older than me and share some of the same interests as us. Plus, they too have an eight year old boy to match the monster we have. They also have two daughters age 17 and 18. It was decided that we would eventually vacation to Myrtle Beach together and the stars aligned just right for 2013!

Kristi and I had stayed at the Coral Beach several times over the years and have grown to adore its offerings. Like many other members here, we eventually learned the money we can save by renting through VRBO.com and have now used the same owner three times: twice last year alone. We convinced our friends that they would enjoy themselves at our preferred resort and they happily agreed due to the price. They normally stay at the Myrtle Beach Resort.

While I can take vacation pretty much any time I want, Kristi has school to work around and our friends both acquired new jobs recently leaving them low man on the totem pole so to speak. We didn't have a lot of choice with our dates of stay as May and June were definitely out and July is too expensive. We settled on the above mentioned dates even though Devin (our 8 year old) would miss the first three days of third grade. To say that he wasn't heart broken would be the understatement of the year.

Kristi and I thought it would be nice to offer to our friends the extra space we had available in the truck. We were leaving the morning of the 16th and staying in Archdale, NC for the night. I hate driving it straight through to Myrtle from Sandusky, OH as it completely wears me out and the first day on vacation is a total wash. Kristi packed up pretty much everything we had in the house except the dishwasher as she wasn't quite sure how to take it out for our one week stay. As long as I had my clothes, toiletries and boogie board, I'm happy. But, we did have a bit of room in the bed of the truck for our friends' stuff as well as for their boy in the back seat. We met them at 9:30 that Friday morning in Akron along I-77. I figured the boys could play together and keep each other company for the trip. Besides, it had to be better for their boy than being sandwiched between two girls in the back seat of the car.

As it turns out, 8 year old boys are about as bad as 14 year old girls. They argue about EVERYTHING and one ALWAYS knows more than the other leaving my nerves to be shot even before we made it to Charleston, WV. Lesson learned.

We stopped in Wytheville, VA to get gas as it's a measly $3.09/gallon there compared to $3.60 in WV and $3.50 in NC. I still had just over half a tank but it was a good place to use the bathroom and stretch.

We arrived in Archdale, NC for our nightly stay at the Days Inn just off I-85. I booked the room back in April for $47/night. I ignored the bad reviews as I figured it was simply a place to lay my head for the night. I think from now on, I'll pay more attention to hotel reviews.

The patrons of the hotel were... interesting. I did not fear for my life but wasn't comfortable leaving anything of remote value in the vehicle over night. The room we were given was built roughly before the stone age and had not been cleaned since. Of course, as all kids do in hotels, they jumped on the beds right away. This action immediately made one head board fall off. Upon further inspection, it had been broken anyway so I didn't bat an eye. The room reeked of cigarette smoke and not one of us was excited by this fact. However, it was the only room left in the joint. I think from this point on, the cheapest room available is not the route for me. You certainly get what you pay for.

I had a hell of a time falling asleep but eventually drifted off around 10 that night and woke to pouring rain around 5AM the next day. Kristi woke shortly after having not slept well for the night due to the smell. We agreed to wake the boys and get them going on the road ASAP as there seemed to be no sense in laying in filth any longer. She got the boys situated in the truck while I headed to the lobby to check out. The door was locked with a sign explaining the lobby will not open until 6AM but there is a window on the other side of the building that the night clerk will be more than happy to help me out. Well, it's pouring down rain and it's not a covered area. I threw the keys down on the dresser in the room and headed out. To hell with that.

The rain was steady but not hard. We took the old route 311 to hit up 220 south toward Rockingham. And the boys continued to argue.

Kristi was able to text our friends and find out where they were. They opted to drive it straight through and had left home some time the night before. We learned that they were about an hour ahead of us so we decided to meet them in Myrtle for breakfast at IHOP on 13th Avenue South. South of Rockingham on Route 1, the rain was blindingly heavy causing us to be at speeds of 25 mph at times on a 55mph road. Once we got into Cheraw, though, the rain had completely stopped and we never saw it again the rest of the day. Things were beginning to look positive!

Traffic was moderate once we got on 501 east of Marion. People cannot drive; plain and simple. It's so irritating passing someone half a dozen times because they refuse to use cruise control. I mean really, why are you passing me only to slow down once you're in front of me? Someone please explain it to me.

Coming over the waterway, we were finally able to see the high rise resorts off in the distance. Sadly, the west bound lanes on 501 were completely shut down as a hit and run accident had left a motorcyclist dead. Thankful it wasn't us involved, we trudged on under the gloomy skies to IHOP.

Our friends waited patiently for us and had already put our names in for a table. Unfortunately, we couldn't all sit together as the wait would have been over an hour. It is what it is. We'll have all week for each other's company so one meal won't kill us. Kristi, Devin and I were waited on and served quickly. We were starving and wolfed down our food. We were walking out while our friends hadn't even received their meals yet. They had already checked in at the resort for the parking pass so we headed over to do the same.

We all changed to swim attire and headed to the pool and ocean. The sky remained dark and dreary but it wasn't raining so we remained optimistic for the day. I finally got a text at about 12:30 stating that the rooms were cleaned and ready for us. Kristi unpacked as we hate living out of luggage for more than a day. The rooms were slightly more run down than we remembered. In fact, the entire resort is getting old and worn. A fresh coat of paint can only do so much, you know? I guess for what we paid, it was satisfactory. However, I will be giving strong consideration to staying elsewhere next year. The Coral Beach Resort Management has decided to make some changes for their benefit leaving the individual condo owners out in the cold. The bowling alley, general store, laundry room, pool bar, poolside grill and coffee shop are no longer accepting cash payments. The room key is now the "Splash Pass" giving those who rent directly through the resort the use of said amenities.

Kristi and all the other ladies headed out to Wal Mart on Seaboard street to get groceries for the week. The men stayed behind to catch a few z's and let the boys hopefully do the same.... but to no avail. We didn't need too many food items as I mentioned before, Kristi brought along pretty much everything we had in the house. In all reality, all I needed was my beloved beer and my vacation was set. She did not disappoint as Budweiser Select made an entrance that brought tears to my eyes. I sucked down two of those and a Coor's Light in about a half hour.

We headed out to River City Cafe on 21st Avenue North for dinner. Parking is atrocious at this location so we parked up the street at the Dollar General on the corner of 21st and King's Highway. We waited about 45 minutes for a table for 8. I told them first available and sadly, we ate inside. The burgers were tasty as always and the service was less than average which is actually a step up from their normal level. I was actually inclined to leave more than $3 this time around. I just used "actually" too many times.

After dinner, Kristi was feeling pretty tired so we headed back to the resort so she could hit the sack. Devin, of course, wanted to go swimming so I headed to the pool with him until 9. I was still fairly tired myself and made it abundantly clear that we had 6 more days of swimming and that they would not drain the pool while we were staying there. Devin understood my feelings and gave no fight when I said it was time for bed. Day number one gone.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:17 pm 

Love your trip report so far... We also like going to River City, one of our favorites. Can't wait to hear more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

How nice it was of you to offer to take your friends' 8 year old with you on the trip. I'm sure that made the ride easier on everyone. I see from your trip report that it caused some ups and downs.....but it will be a very special memory for the boys in years to come.

We did the same thing as you, about 10 years ago…booked a cheap hotel thinking we wouldn't get there until almost 10 PM and leave the next morning around 6:30. I mean, how bad could it be? As it turned out, HORRIBLE. I won't go into details, but neither of us slept more than a couple hours. Lesson learned. I read reviews now!

>…The Coral Beach Resort Management has decided to make some changes…
Apparently the owners did not tell you this when you rented from them. I would have been so displeased to learn that after arrival! Darn it…that's just another thing to add to the list of questions when renting. I learned from this board a couple years ago that sometimes when people asked if there was an indoor pool and were told yes…the owner failed to say it was not heated until April. Not good for our Canadian friends who rent several months in the winter!

>…River City Cafe on 21st Avenue North…
That must the the busiest of all RCC locations. We had a meetup there several summers ago, and you can't imagine how hard it was to carry on any conversations, let alone get the orders straight. But we stopped at that location for a burger last January, and we the only people there. Kind of a ghostly feeling to have the place all to ourselves.

>….I just used "actually" too many times.
LOL! LOL!

GREAT report, Phroggy! I loved reading it, and look forward to more! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this trip report together.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:14 am 

The owner did inform us about the whole Splash Pass concept prior to our reservation. In all reality, it's not a huge deal to us in that there's a washer and dryer in our room anyway, the on site general store is ridiculously over priced as are the pool side grill and bar. I never use the exercise room and the coffee shop and restaurant are somewhat of a joke anyway. It is what it is. I'm there for the morning oceanfront view and access to the beach just footsteps away!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:06 am 

Great trip report, Phroggy! I look forward to reading the next installment!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:17 pm 

Sunday I woke around 6AM after a full night of tossing and turning. I'm not an insomniac by definition but I never sleep for long stretches. Sleeping in just isn't in my vocabulary as I tend to get more peace out of mornings than I do at night. I love my quiet time. I brewed some coffee as quietly as I possibly could then meandered my way across the living room where Devin was sleeping. I slipped out the sliding door to the balcony and watch the sun come up. The previous day was humid but certainly not hot. The stationary front sitting along the coast kept the sun hidden and would once again for most of the morning. The sunrise was brief on the horizon before ducking behind the awful gray sky. I sipped at my coffee and sucked in the moist southern Carolina air. By 7AM, I was downing beer like water. Surprised? I hope not. I'm on vacation, dammit!

Devin and Kristi were up and at em before 8 and were itching to get down to the pool and beach. We lathered on the sunscreen and grabbed the cooler full of beer, sand chairs for relaxing, boogie board and Devin's 3,700 pool toys. I sat pool side enjoying a few more morning brews and watching the palm trees dance gently in the ocean breeze. I headed to the beach with my chair and plopped my behind down in the surf while staring into infinity. The waves tickled my backside and toes while the world happened all around me. I don't see a reason why I can't do that every day for the rest of my life, agreed?

It was sometime after 10 that our friends finally rolled out of bed and joined us. Now, according to them, they're beach people and not pool people which is fabulous for me. Devin dislikes the beach after having been stung by the jellyfish last year. Finally, I won't be alone the entire time while soaking up the hot sun on the sand. Or so I thought....

The previous day, three out of the eight of us got stung by jellyfish. This morning, they were at it again. I've never been stung and I made it through this trip incident free as well. I think our friends spent an hour at the beach before heading back to the pool area. The rest of the day was spent consuming more beer. I had a total of 14 before I realized I was just going at it a bit too hard.

We decided to let the kids hang out at the resort for the night while the adults headed to Murrell's Inlet for dinner. We had no idea what we wanted but knew that we wanted something new to us. We've all been to Drunken Jack's so it was out of the question. I'm a seafood lover while Kristi is not. We walked into Captain Dave's Dockside to check out the menu before heading down to the marsh walk. We headed north and browsed the menus of several different places. Both Kristi and I were intrigued by Capt. Dave's as they had a complete offering and not just seafood. The four os us settled on Wahoo's. We later found out that the other couple were only animate on it due to they didn't want to walk back to Captain Dave's. Odd, seeing as how we parked right across from it. Anyway, Wahoo's was a great experience. The view was spectacular and the food.... well let's see here. I don't take photos of food so I'll explain it as best I can.

I had the chef's special which was cashew crusted grouper on a bed of jalapeno potatoes and grilled asparagus. I LOVE grouper and this was phenomenal!! Kristi ordered the wedge salad which amounted to less lettuce than a baby rabbit can eat. I opted to have a salad with my meal. My side salad was actually bigger than her wedge and half the price. Jeff had swordfish which looked amazing. He concurred that it was as good as it looked. Dawn settled on the surf and turf which was a decent size lobster tail and a 5 oz filet. Her steak was over done but she claimed it was still good. In a place like that, I'd have returned it especially having found out that "market price" was $50! No way I'd have paid that much. My meal was $28, Kristi's was $7, LOL! With my beer and tip, it was just over $50 for the two of us. Jeff and Dawn's bill was nearly $100 with tip. The food, the service and being kid free for the evening was just divine!

Across the street there is a little ice cream shack. And by shack, I mean a 10' x 12' building with two windows. The menu is simple which is probably why it's so successful. Kristi ordered a cone and we walked over to the Lazy Gator to continue enjoying our kid free evening. None of us had ever been in there but I remember seeing or hearing advertising for it and felt it was a Myrtle Beach vacation must.

We walked back to the truck and headed back toward the resort. It was after 8PM and my eyes were telling me that sleep should come soon. Our friends were hinting at going to a local bar and just getting all drunk and what not for the night. While I do enjoy drinking it's VERY rare that I take it too far and especially on vacation. I can stay home and get stupid drunk and it won't bother me to waste the next day hungover. I paid too much and worked to hard to get to Myrtle to waste even a minute because I did something stupid. I can't possibly be the only one who feels that way either. End of day two!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:59 pm 

Monday was a slower beer drinking day for me. Kristi, Devin and I made it to the pool area sometime around 9. As usual, I began my day with coffee and breakfast crafted by yours truly. A cinnamon and raisin Thomas English muffin with American cheese, sausage patty and an egg is my specialty. I also had a banana most mornings to help avoid muscle cramps later in the day. It's hard work fighting the waves!

Our friends joined us around 11. This was the second day in a row that a group of rude folks draped their towels on pool chairs and then left for the morning. The day prior, they did not return until after 1PM. I mentioned this to Dawn and she gladly removed the towels so her family could sit by us. The folks came back at about 1 as we expected. We were all in the pool and watched their faces as they hadn't suspected someone would be so bold as to move their stuff. The old lady of the group looked around to see if anyone was looking and attempted to remove OUR things. Kristi put a stop to that right away. I think we pissed her off pretty good as we never saw them "reserve" chairs the rest of the week. Score for us!!!

Dinner Monday night was to be a trip to Oscar's in North Myrtle Beach. I had read about this on the forum here and mentioned it to Jeff. See, their whole family is die hard Steelers fans. While I don't despise the team, I do have much disdain for the fans. It's my belief that they are sick. They are poor losers. They take offense to ANY and all negative comments about the team or personnel. They are not TRUE football fans in my eyes. I'm a Patriots fan first and foremost. Due to my location, I'm an avid follower of the Browns as well. I'm not embarrassed by this as I love the GAME more than the teams. I'm a die hard fan of football! It's all for grins, folks. I don't mean anything by my rambling there. Just trying to get under the skin of the Shittsburgh fans.

Parking at Oscar's is somewhat adventurous. See, it's a decent sized place that seats probably 100 people. They have parking for about 25 vehicles. See the issue? It just so happens that Monday night was a preseason game for the Stillers so the place was hopping pretty good at 6:30. I ended up parking at the little shopping plaza across the street and prayed I didn't get towed. We got a table right away as we just beat a larger group behind us. There are TV's everywhere and it appeared to be a totally decent sports bar, albeit decked out in black and gold. Of course, I waltzed in wearing my Browns shirt much to the dismay of my party. Man, did I get eyes walking to our table!!! I chuckled under my breath and smiled ear to ear. Such hostility!!

The service was good and the food was on par with expectations for us. It's not expensive and I'd say certainly worth a second visit. I only caution that the chicken wings were absolutely terrible. They were very dry both inside and out as there seemed to be very little sauce on them. Kristi had the Italian Stallion which was basically an Italian type sub sandwich. It was very flavorful and we agreed that it was better than my Patreuben which was a reuben sandwich but made with pastrami rather than corned beef. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but I've made better at home. Their homemade chips were just ok. I think their oil needed changed as they seemed a bit greasy.

We were finished eating when the game actually started. We didn't care to stay because, let's face it, it's preseason and no one really cares..... that is, unless you're a Stillers fan. I watched out of the corner of my eye and let out a loud enough cheer when Worthlessberger got sacked that I knew it was time to leave. I was outnumbered big time!!

We proceeded from Oscar's to Barefoot Landing to catch the Monday night fireworks. We ended up parking between the House of Blues and the Alabama Theater as I've never seen BFL so crowded in my life!! The eight of us had a hard time trying to stick together so we just threw in the towel and went our separate ways. We browsed through a few shops and marveled at the prices of some of the garbage they're trying to sell. We bought some Italian Ice (loooove that stuff!!) and Devin wanted a light-up sword. Of course, he wanted the double ended one for $15. He brought his own money so whatever. It was dark already obviously and I handed the foreign guy $20. He handed me back $35 and I walked away. I made it a few steps and was like, "What the hell?" I walked back to him and said, "Hey..." I then remembered I had a $50 in my wallet. I totally wasn't paying attention. I'm glad he was honest!!!

We hurried across the pond to Ron Jon so I could get a shirt... my only Myrtle Beach souvenir this year. There was nowhere to stand in this place so we walked back to the truck and sat on the tailgate to catch the fireworks. It was an ok show. Very short but sweet. We were one of the first to get out of there since we were already in the parking lot. Traffic back to the resort was moderate. We're never out that late so kind of interesting to experience. Day number three done!!

Last edited by phroggy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 pm 

Enjoying your report....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:34 am 

You stay classy phroggy!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 pm 

Tuesday was shaping up to be another glorious day spent basking in the Carolina sunshine. It did not disappoint! I rose a bit earlier than normal, dressed quickly and slipped outside for breakfast alone. Eating out for breakfast can be pricey but I don't mind if it's worth it. I headed up to Mammy's Kitchen to satisfy my yearly craving. I walked into the joint a little after 7 and was seated immediately. There were maybe a half dozen other patrons at this time of day. The buffet looked fabulous as always. I ordered coffee and proceeded joyously to gather my vittles. I loaded my plate with the various offerings and eventually settled down to begin my meal. Wow!! It was extremely disappointing! The scrambled eggs were runny. The sausage was dry and quite possibly left over from the day prior. The potatoes started well until I hit a few still frozen ones. The fruit, oh the fruit!! I love fresh fruit and Mammy's always has the best. Well, sadly, not on this day. Cost? $13 with tip. I'll have to STRONGLY consider going back. As of right now, if someone asked me to join them there to start the day, I would respectfully decline.

The rest of the day was the usual of swimming, boogie boarding, etc etc. We were able to finally coax Devin to the beach and he even put his feet in the ocean! We strolled along looking for shells and shark teeth.

The night before at BFL did not quench our appetite for the whole experience. We talked with Dawn and Jeff about heading back up there and grabbing dinner at Wild Wing Cafe. Tuesdays are buy one get one free wings. Kristi, Devin and I headed out early to peruse the shops before dinner. We especially enjoy the candle shop and fell in love with a few but declined to buy this year. We have an Ohio State Buckeyes in our kitchen that we purchased last year. We strolled through Sunglass Hut but neither of us found anything we liked. The Christmas store was our final shop before heading to dinner with our friends.

As usual, they were late arriving. It wasn't busy so they had no problem seating us while we waited for the rest of our party. I ordered a delicious IPA and perused the menu. We decided on what sauces to get on our nuggets (boneless wings) when the other family strolled in. The service was decent and the food was outstanding as always. The three of us ordered 48 nuggets, almost half of which we took back to the room. We also had a huge appetizer. I'm not quite sure what we were thinking. Maybe it was the beer that was fogging my thoughts.

After dinner, I hit up the restroom and met a gentleman from Australia. Ok, I use the term "gentleman" lightly as I'm pretty sure he'd had a few pints already. He was lively and extremely chatty. I'm generally not one for conversation while using the john, but this guy.... yeah we had a chat!! It's not that I was in a bad mood at all, in fact, I was pretty content! But he brightened my evening for sure!! I was happy that he was happy, you know?

We stopped at Wal Mart on King's Road before heading back to the Coral Beach. I needed more beer and Devin needed... whatever the hell it is that he needed. I don't even remember. I think we bought Oreos too. What a combination that was. Beer and Oreos.

Dawn and Jeff were ripped, roarin and ready to go when we got back. We walked over to their room where they had the booze all spread out and ready to be consumed. Dawn was staggering already and I knew where this was heading. I sipped with them and eventually called it a night as Devin was being rather whiny. He and I headed for bed around 10. Kristi joined us but was soon leaving to check on Dawn. I'm not quite sure about details so I won't throw anyone under the bus here. I do know that security was involved briefly but nothing major. I do also know that they were pounding on our door around midnight and I just ignored it. I didn't want or need drunks around my kid. Sometimes, grownups can be worse than kids, yes?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:54 pm 

Phroggy,

Since you were just there would you suggest Wild Wing Cafe or Buffalo Wild Wings as a choice to watch a game? The Tennessee/Florida game will probably be a 3:30 game and we can't check in until 4 so we are looking for a place to chill and watch the game. We have never been to Wild Wing. You just sound like the kind of guy that will know the answer :lol:

Enjoying your report....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 pm 

Wild wing is fabulous for the menu selection. I've never even step foot in the bar area so I can't comment about that but the main dining room would not be good for sports as it lacks tv's. buffalo wild wing is a lot smaller and has an abundance of tv's. the issue with them though is prices. if I had to choose, being a hardcore football guy, I'd go with b-dubs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:28 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. Still hoping for a night game, but I am sure we won't get that lucky,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

phroggy, I have to admit to laughing out loud while reading your trip report. You are a delightful writer! I keep interrupting Wally to say "listen to THIS!" as I read your review.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 pm 

phroggy, I too am enjoying your trip report. Are some of these events figments of your imagination or did they really happen? Sure hope your friends (Dawn and Jeff) do not frequent this message board. They may not be too happy with you divulging their secrets. Of course you have left us hanging again so it may be that you tell us the friendship is over by the end of the trip. It is a very well done report with plenty of humor. I just read where Emmy stated that she was not as impressed with some of the usual restaurants this time. Now you mention that you were disappointed in Mammy's. Is there a trend for restaurants to be less concerned about quality this year? Looking forward to your next installment.
Judy

[code][/code]