Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:50 pm 

You are very welcome, Judy! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Zach, thanks from me too for the recipe. It sounds delicious!

That was nice of the Christmas Mouse to not charge you for the ornament! Sounds like they know all about the little ones and their attraction to shiny objects!

Enjoying your trip report......

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 am 

You are welcome as well, Patrish. And yes, the ladies in Christmas Mouse have always been so kind.

WEDNESDAY
Today was perhaps my most favorite morning of all. Waking up shortly after 7, I decided to take Brody down to the beach for a little father/son time. Dressed like a California surfer with his blonde hair (not sure where he got that from) we headed down and enjoyed a relaxing morning in the sand. For a little guy, he sure can walk a lot. We walked and collected seashells, then we sat down and played in the sand for a while. He seemed to draw the attention of every lady that walked by. (That-a-boy! :party[1]: ) About an hour later, mom and sister came cruising down the beach and we enjoyed some quality family time with just the four of us. A little later we headed over to Michelle's sisters condo and swam for a bit. Riley has been taking swim lessons at the YMCA and she was very proud of what she has learned in the pool. That girl can swim for hours. I had prepared some BLT's to take for lunch.
Around 1:30 we headed back to our place for some naps. Supper was my mother-in-laws chicken pie. That stuff is GOOD!!! We of course kidded and congratulated her on properly using the oven. :lol:
After supper we all went down to the beach for my favorite part of every day at the beach. You see, me and that bright sunny thing in the sky do not get along very well. :smash[1]: Sunburn may as well be my middle name, because even with sunscreen I seem to get burned most of the time. After 5 p.m., though, the sun is weak enough that I do not get burned :mrgreen: One of my favorite things to do is sit in my chair just in the water and stare off into the distance. It is a little harder to do with kids running around, but I managed to get in some quiet time. We stayed until dark before calling it a night.
We had an extra bed in Riley's room, so we invited her two cousins to spend the night with us. They absolutely loved it! I cuddled with all four children on the couch and we watched cartoons until bedtime. They got along really well and actually did not take a very long time to get to sleep. It is amazing how a swimming pool can wear children out.
This was by far one of the best complete days we had during the week. Thursday would be a bit different.
Stay tuned! Brody is about to turn this trip upside down!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:31 pm 

THURSDAY (A morning of horror)
So in previous days, we have had a few mishaps but nothing major. Brody decided this trip needed a big dose of excitement. Instead, he created quite the scare.
The day started just fine. I had gotten up shortly after 7 and made country ham and eggs for breakfast. We had planned on going down to the pool for a morning swim, but plans changed quickly. Brody is quite the climber and pulled himself up into his high chair where he proceeded to stand. Before we could get to him, he came crashing head first to the tile floor. Instantly, a huge bump appeared on his forehead. It turned blue and looked like he had a golf ball sticking out of his forehead. We tried to put ice on it but he was too restless to allow for it. Within minutes we were in the car and driving towards the emergency room.
On our way, Brody hurled twice in the car. We arrived within 10 minutes and walked to the check-in window. Before we reached it, a nurse paused in the midst of taking another patient back to look at Brody's head. He immediately told the patient that he needed to get the small child back first. This put quite the scare in Michelle as she began to tear up as I went with Brody.
The ER doctor checked Brody over and was concerned that he had thrown up twice. Hoping to not have to expose Brody to radiation, the doctor decided we would wait for two hours and observe how he was progressing. If he started acting like his normal self we could go home. If not, or if he vomited again, they were going to take a scan to see what is going on.
We put a clean outfit on him and the first 20 minutes we were there Brody clung to Michelle and I as if he was dazed. But around a half hour in, Brody came to life. He got down and played with his car, was flirting with the nurses and you guessed it, trying to climb on things. Every nurse stopped in to see him and he was definitely the highlight of their day.
With around 45 minutes gone in the 2 hour stay, the doctor said he had no problem releasing him and that we should just keep a close eye on him if anything changes.
Here we are a week later and he is doing just fine, but still has some bruising. :wav:
We arrived back at the condo and I did not want to let go of my :angel7: I laid down on the bed and he took a nap on my chest for more than an hour.
My father-in-law loves seafood, so we took him to Calabash to eat at Beck's. The food was pretty good, but not as good as its been in the past. After lunch we crossed the street to visit the Christmas store at Callahans. Riley was amazed by all of the ornaments and was quite tickled by the upside down tree.
After Calabash, we headed down 17 and did a little shopping at the Tanger Outlets. We made just one purchase other than food. In Downtown Disney, I had wanted to get Riley something that was Doc McStuffins. She absolutely loves that show and I regretted not getting her anything at the time. When I saw the Disney store at Tanger, I was not walking out without buying her something. We got her some Doc McStuffins pajamas and she wants to wear them just about every night.
After a quick stop at the eatery for some Chinese at Famous Wok, we went to the combo to rest until dinner.
For supper we had spaghetti, then I headed down for the beach before everyone else for a little while. It was the most relaxing time of the vacation. A light storm arrived with mostly rain. While others on the beach took cover, I sat in my chair by the water and enjoyed it, though it got a bit cold.
While waiting for the arrival of others, I spotted about a 3-foot shark in the water that nearly washed up on shore. It got me out of my chair quite quickly as it was only about 10 feet away.
Everyone else arrived after an hour had passed by and we had a great time. The kids played mostly in the sand and me and my father-in-law went out to battle the sharks. I even got to show off my body surfing skills catching a couple good waves.
We stayed out until dark, then headed up for our final full day at the beach.
What started out as a horrendous day turned out to be nice little day at the beach.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:09 pm 

So thankful Brody is fine! How scary that must have been!!

I remember when my son was little and he had fallen coming out of the car. When we got him to the emergency room the doctors and nurses where so frantic over it. I knew he had a slight bump and me being the overprotective mommy had taken him in just to be sure. I didn't understand their overly concerned attitude. My son at the time had a lazy eye that would cross occasionally (he since had corrective surgery) and what they thought was when he fell his head injury was so bad that his eyes went cross! OK, I can laugh about it now but at the time I was beyond scared until they understood he had already had it.

Sounds like you has such a great trip!! Have so enjoyed your report! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:35 pm 

Great report - kids are so much fun !!!! I know it seems forever until they get older, but great to see you and your wife cherishing these times..... as the song says "don't blink", or else you'll miss it.

Think we need to find Emmy a cross-eyed smilie !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:06 pm 

Sure glad to hear that Brody was OK. I know that it must have been very stressful for you and Michelle. Just wanted you to know that I did a trial run of your taco soup last night. Wanted to try it once before our October Myrtle Beach trip. It was great and so easy to make. My husband was particularly impressed. I stuck to your recipe pretty much but left out the black beans. Also no tomato juice on hand so I substituted bloody mary mix. Thank you again for sharing the recipe. It is definitely a keeper.
Judy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Quote Judy:
....so I substituted bloody mary mix.
LOLOLOLOL! I laughed at this until I had tears in my eyes! No tomato juice? No problem. I've been wondering what to do with this gallon of
bloody mary mix. How about we toss in some vodka too?

OK....getting serious again. I'm happy to hear Brody was OK, but I know that must have been quite a scare for you! So glad thins worked out as they did!

>.... I spotted about a 3-foot shark in the water that nearly washed up on shore......
Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more sharks close to the shore this year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:59 am 

Poor Brody! So glad he is ok.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:02 am 

What an awful scare! Amazing how kids bounce back so much better than we do. Good old Doc McStuffins. My grandson's favourite show too. I have enjoyed reading your report.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:53 am 

Judy, I must say substituting bloody mary mix is one of the greatest ideas ever! Glad the family enjoyed it.

FRIDAY
In some ways, Friday is not one of my favorite days at the beach. Yes, it is another full day, but it is the last, and I can't help but start to get a little mopey. You know what is coming up after the day is completed and it just takes some of the excitement out of it. Still, it turned out to be a great day.
Riley had stayed with her cousins, so Michelle and I went and picked her up around 8:30 before going to Golden Griddle. I went with the bacon and eggs with HOME FRIES again, while the gals had pancakes and eggs.
After breakfast, I went back to the condo to relax with Brody while everyone else went to the other condo to swim. They returned around lunchtime and we just relaxed until around 2 p.m. when it was time for Michelle's sister and her family to head back to NC.
Naps followed soon after, but I decided to watch TV on the couch and look out the window down the beach. I started to get a little hungry late afternoon, so I sneaked out to Dodge's gas station for some chicken. It may sound strange to eat fried chicken from a gas station, but this place is really good!
I took a piece back and snacked, taking in the sights and sounds of the beach all I could.
Once the sleeping heads rolled out of bed, those of us that were left went to the beach and stayed until about 6. While the beach toys and chairs were getting cleaned up, Riley and I went for one last dip in the pool.
We got cleaned up and had leftovers for supper. I had like my 10th bowl of taco soup for the week.
Riley had talked about wanting to ride the carousel with PawPaw, so we left out for Barefoot Landing. She and PawPaw had a great time, and Brody even rode with MawMaw. The plan was to get ice cream at Maggie Moo's, but Michelle wanted to try the custard at Kohr's. She had the peanut butter custard, while MawMaw and PawPaw had regular scoops of ice cream. Riley had a little of each, while Brody and I went in the candy store for some taffy.
Being the Maggie Moo's fan that I am, we made a stop in and I had the strawberry skydive. It is strawberry ice cream with oreos, fudge and real strawberries mixed together. It was incredible. Of course, Riley found some room in her tummy for more ice cream.
We loaded up the car and went to the condo to call it a night.

SATURDAY
The day everyone dreads.
Me and PawPaw loaded up the cars while Michelle and MawMaw did some cleaning. We did our traditional last look at the ocean on the balcony, then sadly closed the sliding glass door one more time. We were in the car by 9:50 and checked out with a minute to spare. Not wanting to fight the large crowds that normally gather at Golden Griddle on checkout day, we went to Hardee's instead. There is nothing like a sausage and gravy biscuit to heal a sad heart. We hung around until 11 so we could pick up a jar of Georgio's Italian dressing to take home with us. I picked up some cheese sticks while there and now we have another thing we must order when we go there.
We were on the road by 11:20 and were pulling into the driveway by 3:30.
It was not one of our best trips overall, but one that we enjoyed.
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and I hope that this trip has brought a smile to your face in some way. I enjoy reading all trip reports and appreciate everyone that takes the time to do one.

God bless you all!
Zach & Family

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Zach I loved reading your vacation report. Thanks you for sharing it with all the MB lovers on the board.

I'm with you...Maggie Moos over Kohr's anytime. :cool:

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 pm 

Enjoyed your report. Thanks for sharing with us :nanner:

Another Maggie Moo fan here :wav:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 pm 

Zach, once again thank you for the great trip report. You have a lovely family. So glad Brody was OK after the fall. My husband is still talking about the taco soup. The older I get the more resourceful I become, hence the substitution of Bloody Mary Mix. Looking forward to your next trip and report.
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:48 am 

Great report Zach. You have convinced me by the way to try the home fries at Golden Griddle!

Vacation pics 2014