Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:13 pm 

The waiting game has finally ended! Me and Michelle along with our daughter Riley (3 1/2) and son Brody (1), left this morning around 11 and made a quick stop for our traditional breakfast at Biscuit King. We were on the road for two hours before our traditional stop at the halfway point in Cheraw, SC. In case you have not figured it out yet, we have a lot of traditions. After the 15 minute break, we were on our way with two final hours left in the trip. Brody had taken a nap during the first leg, but his patience was growing thin and was quite cranky. Luckily, his loving sister was able to keep him entertained until he fell asleep again.
After countless questions from Riley like "Are we at the beach?" and "Which way is it?", we rolled up into our beloved North Myrtle Beach at 3:10, just in time to check in. We rented through Elliott Realty again and were in and out in five minutes.
Upon arrival at the unit we carried a couple things up and checked out our castle for the week. Riley instantly rushed to the balcony for that first view of the beach and little brother was right on her heels.
Soon after is was off to Boulineaus to pick up some groceries for the week. I guess to most people it is just another grocery story, but it is just a neat place to me.
After dumping off the groceries at the condo, I took a solo trip to Main Street for our ...... I bet you know what I am going to say here ... TRADITIONAL pizza from Georgio's. I love the pizza pie and Michelle is addicted to the house Italian dressing. Last year we found out they sell it by the jar, so my lovely wife had me buy one for the week. I think she would eat that stuff off of a flip-flop that was buried in the sand. :lol:
After supper we got the kids ready and went down to the beach. There is nothing like seeing young children hit the sand and race for the water. Riley took off and had no fear crashing through the waves. Brody was fearless for a one-year-old, taking several spills in the ocean. He took a break and walked his studmuffin self over to some ladies for a little flirting. That boy must be handsome like his father. :lol:
After about an hour we headed back up to the room and called it a night with a full day of beach time on tap for tomorrow.
Until next time, this is your pal Zach signing off. Have a great night everybody!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Zach, your vacation is getting off to a perfect start! Hope y'all are enjoying the beach today!

Looking forward to hearing more!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:38 pm 

Loving your report :nanner: You are going to have a great week just watching your babies enjoy themselves. Can't wait to hear more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:03 am 

SUNDAY
The first night was not a pleasant one sleeping. Brody has decided to have his molars come in while on vacation. He was not happy and not much sleep was to be had. On top of it all when he finally did sleep, Riley - who is not a morning person at all - decided to come wake us up early. It was pretty cute, though. She rushed in and said, "Wake up you guys! It's summertime!"
Since we were now awake, Riley and I headed off to Golden Griddle for breakfast. This is my favorite place to eat at the beach. It is a requirement that I must eat there at least four mornings during our week. We shared bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and pancakes.
We came back and all went down to the pool and then the beach for a couple of hours. We had intended on it being a full beach day, but the long night had us coming back up to the room to seek some much-needed rest. We hung out in the condo much of the day, waiting on the in-laws to arrive. I fixed some shrimp salads for lupper (lunch/dinner) and prepared for my Fantasy Football draft at 5. For some reason we always draft while I am at the beach. I got some pretty good players and as always I feel good about my team. The end result, though will likely be another middle of the pack finish.
After the draft we just relaxed with Michelle's family that is in and went to bed. This night was a lot better, as Brody only woke up twice.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday and I will keep you post on our happenings.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am 

Ahhh the Golden Griddle! We tried it last year and loved it. Sorry that Brody isn't feeling well. Those molars can really be rough for them. Thanks for allowing us to tag along on your vacation!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:19 am 

Sounds great so far!! It's not too fun about the molars but hopefully playing on the beach can be a distraction! Can't wait to hear more!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:55 am 

Sounds like y'all are off to a great start! Hope those molars don't give Brody any more trouble. I do know how miserable it can be at the beach with a child cutting teeth... our son Jason was 5 months old for his first beach trip & cut his first two teeth while down there. :BandHead: Hopefully Brody's will break through soon & he'll be fine the rest of the week!

Must admit I love your daughter's name! My youngest granddaughter (who is 9) is also named Riley! :lol:

Looking forward to the next installment of your trip report!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 pm 

Poor babies and their teeth. Some have such a tough time with them. Hopefully being at the beach will be as soothing for him as it is for most of us. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:34 am 

We just ate at Golden Griddle this past week!! It was some goooood eating :hello: . This is now our new favorite breakfast place! Hope Brody is feeling much better!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:18 pm 

Looks like I am the latest victim of vacation interfering with a live trip report. Sorry I was not able to keep it going, but hopefully I can remember most of what went down.
Let me start the rest of my report by saying, the molars turned out to be the least of our problems with Brody this week. More on that later.

Monday
With the full crew all now at the beach, we headed down for what we thought would be a full day in the sun. A little thing called wind changed those plans.
Note: The following will bring a smile to the faces of those who oppose tents on the beach.
About two hours into our stay on the beach, a strong gust of wind lifted the in-laws tent and sent it crashing into ours. The domino effect then lifted our tent into the air, sending both a few feet down the beach before we finally corralled them. I was able to catch one of the legs as it flew over my head, but the force down to the sand snapped our frame in half, leaving us with no tent the rest of the week. :BandHead: My brother-in-law was able to salvage his tent, but we figured it would be best not to use a tent the remainder of the week for the safety of people around us.
Since our shade was now gone, we headed up to the room and relaxed for a bit and ate Lexington barbecue we had brought for lunch. I know some have mentioned they do not like it, but I grew up in Lexington and our barbecue is some of the best in my opinion. Trouble nearly struck for a second time this day on a side dish at lunch. My mother-in-law was making some sort of potato dish in the oven when the oven handle fell off. My father-in-law was going to fix it so my mother-in-law decided to cut off the oven. At least that is what she thought she was doing. A few minutes later I went to the kitchen to make tea and found smoke coming out of the oven. She had accidentally hit the self-cleaning button and the door was now locked and high heat was torching the potatoes. :lol: We crawled under the stove to unplug it, saving both the dish and the condo.
Could this day get any worse? Well I am happy to say it had a memorable and fun ending.
For supper we had my popular taco soup done in the crockpot. I know soup may not be ideal for a warm climate, but it sure did hit the spot and we had it to snack on the remainder of the week.
From time to time I like to have a date night with Riley, so I decided to surprise her with a trip to the OD Amusement Park at Main Street. I think I scored some big Daddy of the Year points on this night.
She rode the kiddie rides, but had her eyes set on the big roller coaster. In June we went to Sea World and she rode the Shamu coaster and loved it. This one was a little bigger, faster and had some big drops. Standing below, she looked up at it and said, "That looks scary!" At this point I figured it was a no go, but I asked her anyway if she wanted to ride. She quickly replied with a smile, "Uh huh!!!!! Off we went and she enjoyed every second of it.
To cap off the night we got some cotton candy and ole daddy received a big hug for taking her.
We headed home, capping off a quite adventurous day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

"We crawled under the stove to unplug it, saving both the dish and the condo."
LOL! You will talk about this for years to come. I'm glad it turned out the way it did!

"From time to time I like to have a date night with Riley...."
How special is that! What a sweet time you had together!

Yeah...the beach tents can be dangerous when a high wind comes up.

Enjoying your trip report and looking forward to the next installment.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:26 pm 

I am also enjoying your trip report. Thank you for taking the time to write it. Any chance of sharing your recipe for crockpot taco soup? Looking forward to your next installment.
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 pm 

We interrupt this trip report for a special news bulletin.
Here is the taco soup recipe just for you, Judy.

TACO SOUP
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 large onion (dice according to size preference)
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 2 small cans rotel
- 1 jar of chunky salsa
- 1 can of corn
- 1 small can tomato juice
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 package of Ranch
- a couple dashes of salt and pepper
- 1 cup of water
Note: I drain all of the beans and corn. Use the liquid from all other ingredients.
Brown hamburger and onions in pan. Add to crockpot along with all other ingredients.
Set crockpot on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. We serve it with tortilla chips, mexican cheese and sour cream.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 pm 

TUESDAY
After the events of Monday, I am happy to say that Tuesday turned out much better.
The day started with a trip to Golden Griddle. I had pork chops and eggs with home fries, Michelle a Belgian waffle, Riley a piece of bacon, egg and a pancake, and the in-laws had chopped steak with pancakes. As usual, GG knocked it out of the park. As the commercial says, "I love these home fries."
After breakfast we took a drive all the way down to the inlet. Along the way I always have to cut down streets and see all the different places I have stayed over the years, just to see what has changed.
I cannot remember what we did for lunch, but shortly after we went swimming at the pool.
Michelle and I got the opportunity to take a rare date, and headed out for early bird specials at Empire Fire Mongolian Grille. This place has been on our list to try for three years and we finally went for it. We did not regret it. It was so delicious and we had a great time, even though it is not a typical date night place. (I will review this place along with all the others when I get a chance)
Missing our little kiddos, we headed back to the condo and picked them up for a night at Barefoot Landing. We hardly ever buy anything other than food, but we love to just walk around and take in the sights and atmosphere. Riley remembered the carousel from last year and kept talking about it while we walked across the water. (Well, walked across the water on a bridge. We did not actually walk on water :shock: ).
After dropping into a few shops, we finally arrived at the carousel and Riley enjoyed it as usual. Having not had supper, the aroma of California pizza sucked Riley in. She kept talking about pizza, so I ordered her one and we went to the Christmas Mouse to burn time while it cooked. Thanks to our grabby son, we barely had made it into the door before we were headed back out. While we were lecturing Riley about not touching anything, Brody reached out and the next thing we heard was a glass ornament shattering to the floor. :BandHead: I handed Michelle my wallet and imagined this shattered mess hanging from our tree. I took Riley out of the store as she was now touching items, while the wifey waited for help. A few minutes later she came out and I asked her what the damage was. Luckily, the lady that runs the store said it happens all the time and did not charge us. :mrgreen:
At this point Brody was getting tired and was making a scene. We picked up the pizza and arrived at the condo around 9. Though stuffed from supper, I managed to get a few pieces of pizza down and then we called it a night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:43 pm 

Zach, how kind of you to take the time to post of the recipe. I can tell already my husband will love it. Sounds like a great idea for an easy beach day dinner.
Judy