Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:32 pm 

I thought I would put my two cents in with my trip report, but I warn you, I'm not good at this, so here it goes...

We started out at 7am...already an hour late! DH wanted to leave at six....I had to water all my plants before we left and extra hugs to my two cats.. Finally on the road and heading to NC first to visit hubby's brother and wife and their children. We stayed the night with them and we had a lot of fun. I had a very nice surprise by my brother-in-law, he actually got in touch with an old friend of mine that I hadn't seen in over 20 years, (he knew I wanted to get in touch with her) and he asked her to come to the house and have dinner with us ... Well I could say that, that was a nice way to start my vacation and we had a wonderful visit. Spent the night "catching up".

Saturday morning woke up to homemade waffles with all the trimmings.. We got on the road an to MB around noon. Checked to see if condo was ready and it was.... we stayed here once before( I believe the year it opened) and liked being in the "south beach" part, very near our favorite pier - Springmaid Pier. We have been staying in NMB for several years now, so it was nice to stay in MB area again for a change. The condo we had was very clean and can't say anything bad about it, although the unit size( 1 bdrm) was a bit smaller than we remember, we really enjoyed the ocean views both north and south and also seeing the pier from our balcony. After settling in we went to Sonic for some much needed hunger pains...(can't be in the car too long with a hungry son) ! Then stopped at food Lion for our weekly groceries. Spent the rest of the evening at the beach.

I'll try to get more of our trip in soon..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:47 pm 

Good start. The only bad trip reports are the ones that are never posted. Looking forward to hearing more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:23 pm 

Sounds like a great start! Can't wait to hear how the rest of your week went.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:16 pm 

There is never a bad trip report :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:23 pm 

Sunday: I was the first to wake up..but I always am. I really tried to sleep in but my built-in alarm clock woke me up. So 6:15 and I'm out walking the beach and scouting out sea shells..one of my favorite things to do in MB. Once everyone was awake we had breakfast in and were on the beach for a full day of sun. Ate lunch in too. And I made dinner (made an Italian dinner), a favorite in our house.
Then off to Broadway at the beach. The guys don't like to shop much, so we didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked, but it was still fun. Then back to the condo and out to the beach for our nightly walk. It's still fun looking for shells, even in the dark. My son(who is an adult) decided he wanted to go in for a swim in the ocean, but found that something (not a jellyfish) pushed hard on his leg and decided..night swimming isn't that smart of an idea. By now it's almost midnight, so it's time to turn in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:37 am 

sounds great so far!!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:21 am 

Monday: It was such a beautiful day today and very hot, so we decided to make it a beach day. While my daughter and hubby were swimming out in the ocean, my daughter felt something around her feet (now if that was me, I'd have ran to shore !), so she went under and came up with a skeleton of a "Sea Urchin", and it's whole and pretty big too. So far, that's our best find at the beach.

Late in the afternoon we all headed up for showers and some lunch , then decided to head downtown for our annual walk around. I love going into The Gay Dolphin, so my daughter and I went shopping (ended up not buying anything) while hubby and son walked around the boardwalk. DH won't go shopping in the GD anymore...says it's the same stuff in there for the last fifty yrs or so... Then we had Italian Ice at Iggy's...yum!
Walked around the boardwalk for awhile, then left downtown and went to some of the Wings, Eagles, etc..
Later that evening we had to go to one of our favorites for dinner: River City Cafe. We did have to wait about 40 minutes, but it was worth it. Then back again for one last walk for the night at the beach.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:38 pm 

would love to see a pic of the sea urchin if possible
Cyndi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:47 pm 

Tuesday: Since it was another sunny day, we started out at the beach, love to sit with my chair right at the water line.. Looked for more shells and did find a few shark teeth. If you really want to find Welks and olive shells, just walk along the top end of the beach (where the sand in soft) and you'll be sure to find them. While DH and I were sitting on the beach we kept seeing the helicopter's flying over and decided we would go later to check that out.
After getting our share of the sun we all went up for shower's, lunch and to the airport. I think it was called Hoffman's. They were very busy, but they have a very good system there . We saw a sign for rides for $20 and they basically go up and out towards the pier and back. But they do show you a paper that has many different routes you can take. And the bigger the route the more they cost...but so worth it !! We surprised the kids with this and they loved it. They did go far out over the ocean, back in to ride the coast , then by the boardwalk and inland. And before take off, they do offer(not too pricey either) to have your picture taken next to the helicopter and so we did that too. Spent much of the late afternoon here, and while there, we did watch a very large military plane practice there landing/take-off's which was alot of fun. Then went back to the condo.
Once again I wanted to make dinner ( I do love cooking) and couldn't help it. After dinner we went to play mini golf at Jungle Lagoon. For once I didn't come in last Place !! Went back and went for our nightly walk on the beach before heading up to bed.

Cyndi: I'm not very good with the computer, but if I can send Patrish a picture, maybe she can post it for me. I'd love to post pictures here, just wish I knew how to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Cathy, I've been enjoying your trip report! Why is it guys don't like to shop? I think it's built into their DNA or something. BUT.....let them loose in Lowes or Home Depot and they can look at nails for 2 hours!

Yes...send me the picture and I will post it for you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Here are Cathy's shell pictures. (Nicely done, Cathy. They are lovely!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm 

SO BEAUTIFUL Cathy!! Thanks for sharing!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:21 pm 

very cool...thanks to you and Parish
Cyndi :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:13 pm 

Beautiful shells & nice shark teeth, Cathy! May I ask where you found the large snail shell? It looks like it would be large enough for one of my hermit crabs. I'd love to find some to bring home to them! That would be awesome! :hello: All I ever find are very small ones! My guys are larger than what I find, except for the ones we found many years ago when we stayed at Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms near Charleston and once when we took the shelling/lighthouse tour out of Georgetown (which weren't many).

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:11 pm 

We were walking back from the Springmaid Pier when my hubby spotted it in the water. As far as the "sea Urchin" shell I wouldn't have been brave enough to dive under to pick it up That one is the most unusual one we've found yet.

Thank you Patrish for posting those for me !

Cathy