Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:26 pm 

We returned from our summer vacation yesterday (a day earlier than planned). We arrived around 11:30 at the campground. We didn't experience any traffic delays until we got the hwy 17 bypass on 544. Luckily we learned to turn at the red light where the Prestwick sign is at and come out by the Harley Davidson place to avoid the rest of the back up to the light in front of ocean lakes.

We had three campsites and fourteen people total between the sites. The weather was GREAT. Prior to vacation it rained for 13 days staging and home and still rained everyday while we were gone. It rained Sunday morning for about 20 minutes but that was it. We cooked at the campers the every morning but two and every night but two. We picked up KFC on Monday night and ate Crabby Mikes Wednesday night. We ate at Mammys Kitchen. One morning and picked up Bojangles biscuits the other morning we ate out.

We spent most of our time at the ocean during the day and at the pool during the evening. We were hoping Lakewood's water slides, Lazy River, and Kids Splash Area would be open, but it was not. We were told that all of the rain had them about a month behind plus some shipping delays had them several more weeks behind.

Lakewood has been making many upgrades over the lat 5 or so years.

Wednesday we decided that 11 of us would head to Wild Water water park. We arrived at 3pm for the afternoon price. We left about 5:30pm. It was shortly after we arrived back that two of the Four kids got sick. Most of us went to Crabby Mikes and a few we're going to Broadway to eat. After just getting seated and getting our plates one of the kids got sick at Crabby Mikes. We arrive back at the camper and the other group was already back from Broadway because their other child was sick. We endded up with 7 sick people Wednesday night. All 7 of these people went to Wild Water. Thursday morning we had two more sick people making t a total of nine out of fourteen. Eight of these went to Wild Water. We decided since most if us was sick and since it was going to rain Friday that we would pack up and head out a day early.

On a side note, I think this is the first year that is has not rained the night before or the morning that we were leaving the campground. I guess we fulled the rain leaving a day early.

Last edited by cbr_guest on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:56 pm 

I am so sorry to hear that!! Goodness, nothing worse than getting sick while you're away from home. I would seriously report that to the board of health in Myrtle Beach. No different if you would have gotten food poisoning at a restaurant. Maybe their water was tainted. It should be looked into. So sad!! Hope everyone is feeling better!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Michael, thank you for taking the time yo write a trip review. Sounds like a nice vacation with good food and good weather...right up until people started getting sick. I'm so sorry to hear about this.

A side note to your story. Wally sister, Sara, has been living in this area for years. She took early retirement after teaching more than 30 years at Socastee High School. She would never, never, ever, let her daughter go to any waterslide. She said kids with diarrhea go down those slides, many of them pee in the water and some are sick when they enter the slides. And kids being kids are always inadvertently swallowing the water. Since she taught school, she heard all sorts of stories. She didn't know how true the stories were, but she wasn't taking any chances.

Thanks again for sharing your vacation with us!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:06 am 

Family vacations are the best! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:17 pm 

Patrish, I see her point about the water slide deal, but my thing is why live life in fear? People die in car wrecks everyday, but we still ride in cars.

We had one kid I. He group that was sick Monday night. She ate dinner and then we went for ice cream at the campground store. She got sick that one time and that was it until Wednesday night after the water park. We just assumed that it was from eating inner and then the ice cream right after that's he normally doesn't do. So it may have been the start of a virus or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:46 pm 

It did end up raining on Friday so you didn't miss a good beach day. However, you would have had to pull me out of there kicking and screaming. We ended up going over to Tanger on 501 around noon on Friday and lots of people were leaving because of the rain. Not me! I take every minute I can get. Hope everyone is feeling much better. Thanks for sharing your trip.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:50 pm 

Ok. I posted on Wild Waters FB asking if anyone else got sick. A lady posted that she seen three different people throw up IN the last river the same day we were there. :BandHead: she said they left after seeing that.

Another Side note to our illness: 8 of the 11 people that sick rode the water slides (goings under at the bottom of the slides) and went in the wave pool. The LUCKY 3 that did not get sick did not go under the water at all. I'm going to be giving them a call tomorrow and probably the Surfside or Horry County health department just to makesure they are aware of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:33 am 

cbr_guest wrote:
I'm going to be giving them a call tomorrow and probably the Surfside or Horry County health department just to makesure they are aware of this.

That is a very wise decision! The water SHOULD be tested on a daily basis. Glad everyone is better though!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:51 pm 

I emailed the MB health department Monday. They responded today saying that their last visit there was July 3. Everything was fine according to state regulations then. They said to completed a follow up inspection after my complaint. Everything turned up fine again. They said they checked the chemical log report between July 3 and yesterday and everything looked fine.

I still say that we all caught the virus/bug from Wild Water.