Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 pm 

Just returned from a fantastic vacation from the beach. It was myself, wife, son(11) and daughter (5).

left pittsburgh on thursday morning around 3 A.M. and arrived at ocean reef about 2:30 P.M. the nice thing about a thursday arrival was no traffic on the way in and no check in wait whatsoever. This was our 5th stay at the Ocean Reef and we absolutely love staying there. We stayed in a 2 bedroom angle of condo on the 3rd floor which was nice (no elevator wait, we just used the stairs). the room was clean and we had a fantastic view of the ocean from the balcony. There are 2 pools, lazy river, 4 hot tubs and a kids area with a water slide. They have remodeled the pool bar area and have a nice variety of frozen drinks, which they will make w/o alcohol for the kids as well. they also have a kids club available mon-fri which various activities from sports, arts and crafts, tattoos and ice cream socials are available. My son and daughter enjoyed participating in a lot of these activities.

The weather during our stay wasn't the greatest, but there's nothing you can do about it. You make the most of the sunshine and deal with the rest. We never had a complete wash out and to be honest, we enjoyed the cooler evenings. On past trips it's been so hot at night you were a puddle the minute you walked outside.

Like so many others on the board we have an opening day ritual. Pool and Ocean and bojanlges chicken. I know it's simple, but that's what we do on the first day. It maximizes pool and ocean time on the first day, which is why we are here!

Friday
Started with breakfast at the sea captains buffet. We love the setting on the ocean and the quality of the food. I also get my yearly ribbing about pittsburgh teams from Rodney the omelette guy who is a chicago fan.

After breakfast was mini golf. My daughter chose jungle safari which is right by our hotel. good course and a banner day for my son who tied me for low score. His growing up is going to be difficult for me.

Next was pool and ocean all day. the kids had a great time in the surf and the waves were not too rough for them to enjoy themselves. My daughter had a new vest whick kept her floating and riding the waves for the first time. She just loved it.

Dinner was at pier 14. We all had seafood except my daughter who had a hot dog. Food was good, not great. After dinner was a ride on the sky wheel, which was a huge deal because my daughter agreed to go on this year. We then went to one of the airbrush t shirts stands in the downtown area for another annual event. The kids picked out their designs and since we had an hour to wait we decided to walk the boardwalk. We used to stay at the windsurfer and we were happy to see the area around it is adding new businesses. Sharkey's bar added a 2nd floor, there's a tiki bar at 8th ave. and a hammerhead min golf and bar/grill is around 8th ave as well. We stopped at a sweet frog at 8th ave and enjoyed some yogurt. same self serve and topping concept as froyoz. Picked up the shirts and called it a night.

more to come............

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:54 pm 

Great start to the report ! Kind of surprised you were able to get a rental starting on Thursday during high-season.. nice job getting around the crowds.

Quote:
Rodney the omelette guy

Rodney's the best !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:07 pm 

Great start to vacation!

I'd like to hear more about the Ocean Reef - if you have any pictures to share. How is the parking there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:20 pm 

Sounds like a great trip so far!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:27 pm 

can't wait to hear more...! loving it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 pm 

Always tough when someone finally beats/ ties Dad at mini golf. My son was 10 when he first beat me, and it was also at Jungle Safari! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your week.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:20 pm 

I'm sorry but i dont have any pitcures of the rooms, and we're the only pepople left without facebook/instagram/twitter. I can tell you there are 3 parking lots and a 3 story garage to park in. they are across the street and are a 1/2 block walk but it's not a problem for us. one of the best aspects of the hotel is the various room types. They range from a 1 room with 2 beds to a 4 bedroom condo so whatever size your group is they are able to take care of you.

Sat
we let the kids sleep in because they rarely have a chance to do that at home, but they were still up around 8 am. they had breakfast in the room, we had gone to the store the day before and bought things for them and my wife and I had our coffee fix from the starbucks next door in the long bay resort. Whoever profits from this starbucks is doing well because the line is out the door all morning every day.

after breakfast my son and i went to cane patch for 9 holes of par 3. He has been playing a couple of years and enjoys the longer holes in myrtle. Cant wait until we can play some of the 18 hole courses in the area.

after golf was our daily pool/ocean routine. spent the rest of the morning swimming and shelling. We brought a ton of shells home again and i finally found a shark's tooth.

dinner was capriz italian feast. we had a great meal here. Extensive salad bar with hot items as well. On our day there was chicken marsala, roasted potatoes and rigatoni with beef short ribs on the salad bar. Then we flipped the card green and were attacked by the servers with 7 different pastas and sauce, 5 different pizzas and 4 types of roasted meat including sirloin steak. The food was hot and delicious and the cost was $19.95 adults, 8.95 kids 6-12 and under 6 free. we also received a $5 off coupon in our welcome packet from the hotel.

it was raining hard so we didnt walk broadway, we went back to the hotel, played shuffleboard and ping pong and walked the beach once it stopped raining.

Sun

breakfast and starbucks in room again. then we tried to swim and shell but the weather was not great. Not a total washout but a lot of off again on again which puts a little damper on the day. dinner this night was nacho hippo at market common. great food and atmosphere. we enjoyed the tacos and an appetizer platter and watched our pirates pull one out in extra innings.

After dinner was a trip to the piggly wiggly at market common for some items that we needed. the store is well stocked and had a nice section in front that has items that are made in south carolina. we picked out a jar of peach butter that went terriffic on bagels and waffles. Another storm blew in so we postponed our mini golf plan for another day.

still more to come and the weather got better i promise!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:22 pm 
Forum Support

micountrygal wrote:
I'd like to hear more about the Ocean Reef - if you have any pictures to share. How is the parking there?

We stayed there last year during our short stop in MB.

We were there in October and parking was super easy since we could park on the beach access street. The parking lot outside the front office is small. They do have a parking lot and parking deck right across the street. Which isn't bad.

I can look around online for pictures if you would like or answer any of your questions the best I can. I really did love the Ocean Reef and would go back. Which is saying a lot since we have never stayed at the same place twice yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:40 pm 

Gino, you may want to give the Executive Course at Tupelo Bay a chance, it is a Par 58 so it will get your son truly prepared for the big course and it gives you great practice.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 pm 

Thanks geno and missingthebeach for the hotel info! We always stay next door at the Long Bay Resort and that place is really going downhill and we've had problems the last few times we've stayed there. We keep saying we need to walk next door and check out the Ocean Reef - I like the big balcony rooms on the end.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:02 pm 

So far so GREAT! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! Can't wait to read more!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Geno, thanks so much for taking the time to write a trip review. Ocean Reef sounds great! I can remember when they remodeled. I didn't know they had a Kid's Club, but I'm sue that helps keep the young ones entertained!

Sorry the weather wasn't better, but I like your attitude….it is what it is. One of the good thing about MB is that there is so much to do if it rains.

Breakfast (or brunch) at the Sea Captain's is a wonderful tradition! Beautiful ocean view and good food!

Quote Geno:
"…a banner day for my son who tied me for low score. His growing up is going to be difficult for me…"

Kids grow up way too fast. I was thinking just the other day that I started this message board in 2002, and many members have been with us since that time. Babies born that year are now 11 years old. (The older I get, the faster time passes!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:49 am 

Monday

Breakfast in room again and another round of par 3, this time at midway. Here's how crazy the weather can be in myrtle beach. We left to go golfing and it was sunny, we're at 71st ave N..... at broadway the beach we hit a downpour so hard we couldnt see the road that's 29 ave N..... play golf at midway which is down by the airport no rain sunny... came back to hotel and asked wife how bad was the storm and she says "what storm?" gotta love beach weather!

More pool and ocean routine and went to dinner at wild wing cafe at barefoot. Good wings and not expensive. spent the night touring barefoot, enjoyed the tigers, picked up our myrtle beach ornaments at the christmas store, went in to the everything is purple store. if someone you know loves purple, this is definitely the place for them. Then we had our laugh for the evening....The Foxworthy Store. My daughter loved the pink cammo panties and bras. lots of other foxworthy type themed merch for sale as well

Tues

More of the same routine, breakfast and pool/ocean, dinner at captain george's. Probably our last time. It's good but hard to justify $104 for dinner there. There are better and more economical seafood options available. Spent the night at broadway at the beach. Love just walking around hitting the shops and people watching. We tried some cupcakes at a new place located by margaritaville and river city sweets. I forgot to write the name in my phone but they were excellent cupcakes. We tried the mini cupcakes and had red velvet, raspberry and also a maple bacon cupcake. I have no first hand review of the maple bacon one but my son said that is was very good after he inhaled it!

Wed

Breakfast was at Toffino's at the market common. fantastic bakery and breakfast. we had omelettes and they were very good, but the highlight of this place was the bakery. They had a nice assortment of pastries, from danishes and cinnamon rolls to elcairs, napoleons and cream puffs. they also had what i refer to as italian grandma cookies, pignoli cookies and also the sweet round ones with sesame seeds. We loaded up with baked goods for the next morning's breakfast. everything we bought was very, very good. They also have hoagies and pizza and a lunch menu as well. We loved it here and will definitely return.

we spent the afternoon at family kingdom. Got there early and got on all the rides that we wanted to get on in about 2 and a half hours. No lines for anything and we were back at hotel by 4:00. we picked up burgers from river city at 73rd ave and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening swimming. Also found out how delicious a dirty banana was from the pool bar. The weather was finally nice and sunny in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:22 pm 

Sounds like you had a nice fun packed week. In my opinion those are the best kind of vacations!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you got to Toffino's! I've been to lunch there several times since it is close to our house. It's fun sitting outside on the porch people-watching! But throughout lunch, I hear the bakery calling my name like the sirens in Greek mythology, and cannot leave without some sweets which I think will be breakfast the next morning. Never mind that I eat a good portion of them before I get home.

The Pig is even closer to our house, so it's my go-to grocery store when I need something quick. But like the sirens at Toffino's, I hear them calling me to the wine sale area where my ice cream melts as I stand in awe of the various wines that have been marked down to a price I can afford.

Love your trip report! Thanks for taking the time to share your vacation!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall