Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:52 pm 

We come to Myrtle Beach often as my mother lives here, so we tend not to do too much of the tourist stuff. The weather the first few days was just awful. We got caught in Murrells Inlet Monday night in a downpour. Luckily there was little traffic but the drive was still long because of standing water.

We went to a few of our favorites to eat:

Liberty Tap Room, never have had a bad meal here and the happy hour is great. Especially good: Bananas Foster Cheesecake.

Flying Fish Grill - Have been here a lot in off season, but never during the season. What a difference! The place was just packed with about a 90 minute wait for dinner. Luckily it was just two of us that night so we ate at the bar. Still waited about 15 minutes to get a seat. Had happy hour and it was YUM. Shrimp, calamari, sushi.

Bliss (Murrells Inlet) - This was our third time here. Each time it has been good, but something happens to make it not great. It is a small and fairly expensive restaurant. This time everything went well until I got my entree - Shrimp N Grits. It tasted like an entire salt shaker had been dumped in the dish. I will say the waiter was very apologetic and took it off the bill. I got a bowl of she crab instead, and it was on the house. Everything else was great (the grilled romaine salad was the best I've ever had). Last time the issue was they completely forgot our salads. Because of the overall quality of the food I would go here again.

Flo's (Murrells Inlet). We have been going here for years and, unfortunately, it is not as good as it once was. It is hit or miss, so if you know what to order you will do fine. Anything New Orleans style (gumbo, crawfish, rice and beans) is good. Anything else, not so much. Service: Not great. Waitresses have these little walkie talkies so you would think everyone would be coordinated. Salads came out with our meals. Drinks were delayed. Both times the excuse was "we're backed up." The restaurant was not full.

Ciao - Nice old school Italian. Very small so make reservations. Good traditional spaghetti and meatballs. Great appetizer of broccoli rabe and sausage ravioli.

River City - Great Burgers and fries. Enough said.

Inlet Crab House - Great Lunch menu. Best hush puppies ever.

Bandito's - First time here and exceeded our expectations. Guacamole, margaritas and tacos all excellent. Plan to return.

Besides eat, we also heard some great music at House of Blues (free on the deck) and the Marsh Walk. If you like old school country music (Willie Nelson, George Jones) pay a visit to Wahoo's on Monday night. You will not be disappointed. Dead Dog also had good bands the two nights we went.

Second Avenue Pier - Love this place for drinks and a view of the beach. We typically don't eat here as food is average.

Ocean Annies/Shore Drive Fireworks - There is not a better spot to watch the fireworks at Myrtle. Bring your cooler, food and lawn chairs (along with 5,000 other people). Great fun.

Did a little shopping at the Outlet Malls and made a day trip to Charleston to visit with some friends.

Other than that, just lay at the beach or pool and RELAX. Crowds were not as bad as in the past. Wondering if the iffy weather at the beginning of the week kept some people home.

Will be back in early October - after the season. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:08 pm 

Sounds like a wonderful time! Thanks for all the restaurant reviews - lots I haven't heard of that might make it on the "need to try" list next trip! I got jealous when I read the "private home" in your title - someday, I hope that's me! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Sher....great restaurant reviews!

Sorry about the weather. I can't remember when we've had rain for such a long spell! Looks like you ha a good time in spite of dodging the downpours.

Thanks for taking the time to write this report. There is a lot of good information here!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:40 pm 

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the restaurant reviews. We always like to try new places and the reviews are always helpful. Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves in spite of the weather.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:52 pm 

Wish I had read this earlier in the week because we almost went to Ciao Friday evening. My husband is not a big Italian eater so we opted for something else. We may just have to put this on our list for the next visit. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:18 pm 

sher1234 Ocean Annies/Shore Drive Fireworks - There is not a better spot to watch the fireworks at Myrtle. Bring your cooler, food and lawn chairs (along with 5,000 other people). Great fun.

I was wondering what fireworks you are talking about, we stay in Peliccan's Watch and the only fireworks I see are the ones tourist light off, are there one's that the city light off?