Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:54 am 

June 15th through the 20th Hotel Blue

My parents rented a Dodge Caravan for the trip, and said we should go along with them. I like to leave early and they don’t, but my Dad said you come along with us you won’t have to pay for gas. We went with them, and left at 5:45 am, about two hours later then I would have left.

Back to Friday night, they brought the van to our house to load what we could. We were trying to fit the beach chairs in, but it’s wasn’t going to work. I looked at the top of the van and saw some thumb screws. My parents said it doesn’t have a roof rack, and I made one appear. Loosened the thumb screws, moved the bars across and now we have a place for our chairs. Now everything fits in the van, and we are good to go.

Saturday June 15th my parents were at the house at 5:15 am. I started loading the coolers and anything else we couldn’t put in the night before. Brittany was awake but her friend was out. A bomb could have gone off and she wouldn’t have woke up. Finally we got her up so we could leave.

On the road by 5:45 am, like I said before 2 hours later then I would have left. My Mom has to sit in the front seat, so I called her the front seat cop. You’re going over the speed limit, is all I kept hearing. I told her if I don’t drive with the other cars, we’ll get run over.
When she took a rest that was the only time she wouldn’t yell at me for going over the speed limit. It was only 5 miles, sometimes 10, but that was all I heard. That’s the other reason I would rather drive in my own car.

We got to the first rest area which I always stop at, 2 ½ hours down the road. I was surprised that we made it that far, they usually stop every hour. My Dads turn to drive with the front seat cop. I took a nap until we stopped for breakfast at a Bob Evans, which was only another hour down the road. I guess they need to stretch a lot.

The girls slept almost the whole time until we arrived in Lumberton NC for the night at a Best Western. That is another thing, if I drove myself, we would drive straight into Myrtle Beach. But free gas is free gas. :nanner:

Sunday June 16th.

We had the continental breakfast at the hotel and had to throw water on Taylor (Brittany’s friend) to wake up so we could leave again. We were on the road by 8am and made it to Hotel Blue by 9:30. Room wasn’t ready like we thought would happen. Parents took beach chairs and went to beach, we went to Pavilion area. Stopped at 9th avenue, went to the earthcam and waved to my buddy in the UK. The girls went into Gay Dolphin to look around. I stayed outside taking pictures, and working on my tan. We stopped at the I Love Candy store, and just checked out the sites before we headed to Hooters for Lunch. Just finished eating and my Mom called saying one of the rooms were ready. We headed back to unload the van all into that one room. It was easy once the other room was ready, just moved the stuff one room down.

Wanted to go to downwind sails but never made it, and also wanted to go to Myrtle Manor, but that didn’t happen either. The safe wasn’t working so had to wait until someone fixed it. All it needed was a new battery, and 3 workers to fix it. :lol:

We ended up just getting ready to go for dinner at Sweet Carolinas at BATB. I had a pulled pork sandwich, and it was good. I like the sweet vinegar bbq sauce, I was using that on the cornbread, Butter and sweet vinegar on cornbread was awesome. I know someone is going gross, but it was not gross at all. :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:31 am 

I am sure my son would call me "The Front Seat Cop". He is 23 and still makes me a nervous wreck driving. We are leaving tomorrow morning and he just told me that he and his girlfriend are leaving a little later than us. Wonder Why :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:11 pm 

Monday June 17th.

Mary and I took our morning walk on the beach. We walked up to see if we could find Vicki (Mz Kitty) and Kay outside their hotel,Image but no luck. Came back had breakfast and down to the beach we went. The girls were still sleeping, I should say Brittany was awake, but had to hang around the room since Taylor liked to sleep. I told her to sleep when you are not on vacation. I guess she is not a morning person. I think they made it down to the beach by 11am. An hour later back to the room for lunch, must be hungry since they didn’t get breakfast? Not sure if they came back down to the beach, or went to the pool. The beach was too sandy for Taylor, it’s a beach! She doesn’t go on vacation much I was told by Brittany.

It was mostly cloudy the whole week with sun popping out every so often. Looked like it was going to rain, might have had drizzle but not much. Went back to the room about 3:30 to take showers. Then everyday around 4:50, the front seat cop would call to see if we were ready to go out to eat. The girls would always say 5 minutes. My Mom must need to eat at the same time everyday or something.

We went to Barefoot Landing this night and ate at the Flyin Fish. We ate here before and it was good food. Walked around for a little and saw a loose gator swimming around in the lake.Image Went back to room and walked to Family Kingdom just for the sights. No rides for me, getting too old for them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:31 pm 

Tuesday June 18th.

Same deal, took our morning walk, back for breakfast and Taylor is still sleeping.
We did put towels on the chairs by the pool for the girls once they got up. We walked down to Locko Gecko for lunch. Good food there too! ImageThey were down there most of the time this day. The tide was really coming up high; the super moon was doing its work. The lifeguard had to move quickly or his umbrellas would go out to sea. Just a lot of sitting on the beach for us, this is what we like the best.

Dinner was supposed to be at Margaritaville, but an hour and a half wait, not going to fly with my Mom. We then headed to Key West Grille. Good meal and that is when the rains came down in buckets. We just made it back to the car before it opened up again. We headed to the Pavilion area to walk around. Not sure if we should, but the rain went away. Saw there was no line at the skywheel and got on that. It was a great view, but would not pay that much to go on again.Image

After that we walked around for awhile then headed back to the room. We walked up to Captains Quarters in the rain to checkout the bowling lanes, and the other pools. We could have used there pools. Hotel Blue is part of the Captains Quarters.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm 

sounds fun...making lots of memories...from the front seat cop to the "sleeping beauty" friend...love sitting around on the beach and eating...best parts of beach trips...Thanks for sharing...20 days for us...and the calendar is filling up with non trip related things to do...that is OK...time will go quickly...starting to get a few things organized now...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:19 pm 

We were there the same week as you. Lucky we got through the week with as little rain as we did. Not any real nice sunny days the whole trip and some ugly skies didn't pack a big punch. Got some friends down there this week and said it had rained every day. Summer has been a washout at home this year. Pouring the rain as I type this now. We really got lucky compared to others. Seems like you guys had a great time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Ron, I'm enjoying your trip report! Thanks for taking the time to write it, and for sharing you vacation with us!

We had sun all day today....July 4. The last sunny day before today was Fri, June 28, so we had 5 days of rain! It seemed longer. Very unusual for Myrtle Beach this time of year.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:02 pm 

I am enjoying your cast of characters from the sleepy head to your mother riding shotgun. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:27 am 

Great report - makes me think back on all the friends Kelly took down to MB.... fortunately none of them ever complained about "too much sand" ! Also blessed that my "front seat cop" sleeps most of the way down.... one reason I'm an early-traveler like you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:28 pm 

Wednesday June 19th.

It looked like it was going to be a sunny day all day, but it turned cloudy. We went to the beach in morning, then after lunch we had to go mini golfing. Went to Mount Atlanticus again, favorite course of Brittany’s. It was cloudy and drizzly all day, and I guess everyone else had the same idea of golfing. Played both course and went back to get ready for Dinner and the meet up at Market Commons.

We ate at Thornys, and we were surprised it was the most expensive meal of the week. When we left there I was waiting for my parents, because they were not going to the meet up. I was going to take them back to the hotel, but they walked back. It would have been nice if they told me that, so I didn’t sit there for 5 minutes waiting for them. I called her phone and she said we are walking back. I told her I thought you got lost in the bathroom or something. Lol

We drove to Market Commons and walked around until the meet up time of 7:30. We didn’t make it too far, when Wally comes out of Ultimate California Pizza. Tells us to come in with them to eat, I said we ate already. We waited with them, and they were not getting seated, so they blew of eating and we went outside to the seating area, where we kind of forced a gentleman out of the area. The meet up was crowding him, so he decided to leave. Image The one on the right with the green bag.

We sat and talked for an hour and a half or so, then the rain started falling and that was the end of the night. Love going to these, just like meeting family you haven’t seen in a long time.

Link to the meetup photos http://www.ipernity.com/doc/71732/album/430025

Thursday June 20th.

Last day and was hoping for a good one and got it. It started out cloudy and cool, Mary was sitting on the beach all bundled up with her towel. It turned out to be the sunniest and hottest day all week. We stayed at the beach the longest that day until the tide was moving us out of our seats. It came way up that day, and thought if high tide was earlier in the day, there would have been no room to sit. Dinner the last night was at Joe’s Crab Shack. It was okay, but I would rather have gone somewhere else instead. Brittany wanted to go here, so we went. Did are last night ritual of walking around one last time, and shopping for candy. Went back early to load what we could into the van, and got the chairs inside this time. One big cooler I brought down now was just storage for packages. We didn’t have to go through the trouble off putting the chairs on the roof rack.

We sat on balcony for awhile, then off to bed for an early departure of 6am. Not early enough for me, but could I do? Now for the drive home, you should know what happened there with the front seat cop?! What can I say I was in hurry to get home! :nanner:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:53 pm 

KirkG wrote:
Also blessed that my "front seat cop" sleeps most of the way down.... one reason I'm an early-traveler like you.

I wish she would have slept more, especially on the trip home.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:04 pm 

Loved your report. Hey, I myself am a front seat cop. Somebody has to keep the driver in line. :lol:

Sounds like a fun time, liked all your photos also.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:41 am 

Great trip report, Ron!!! Sounds like y'all had a blast! :nanner: :nanner: :nanner:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:39 pm 

I loved the pictures from the meet-up! Sounds like you had a great trip to Myrtle.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:35 pm 

Ron, thank you for the great trip report. We ate at the Loco Gecko last fall and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Just curious would you hitch a ride on your next trip to MB or bring your own car?