Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 pm 

So we made it to MB. Gotta say that the rain has really put a damper on things. It is really a little depressing actually.

So far:

Saturday:

Arrived in MB at 1:00 p.m., we weren't able to check in so we walked over to River City Café for some lunch. We had cheeseburgers, onion rings and fries. It was AMAZING and did not disappoint.

Checked in at 2:30 p.m. into our 3 bedroom suite which is lovely. Headed out to get groceries at Krogers and into our first downpour that was pretty bad. Headed back to the hotel for a swim and relaxed for the rest of the day.

Ordered in Ultimate California Pizza Kitchen for dinner. Had pizza, wings and salads. It was great as well and fed 11 people for $72.00.

Sunday:

Woke up and had breakfast in the room. Headed out for the pool and did some swimming for a bit and then back up to the room due to rain. Went out to Benjamins Original Calabash for my husbands birthday dinner. We called ahead for reservations and they gave it to us even though they usually only do it for parties of 20 or more. The food was good but not worth it for the price, especially for the kids who are so damn picky. Headed back to the hotel for some swimming and relaxation. I headed out to walmart to pick up a few things then back to go to bed.

Monday:

Woke up and had breakfast in the room and then went for a walk on the beach. The weather was actually nice for a bit. Then it rained again as usual and I decided to hang out in the room for the day and not swim. We went to Mammy's for dinner which was really good. 6 adults had the buffet without crab legs and it came to $99.00. Hubby and I decided to walk down to the boardwalk with our teens and went into some shops, went to I love Candy and the kids got some treats and walked back to the Breakers. It was incredibly windy and guess what? It started to rain again. Got back to the hotel and decided to cab it to BATB. Went to a couple of shops, fed the fish and then it started to pour again. Rained the rest of the evening and when my sister and I went to Ben and Jerry's across from the Breakers, the roads were literally flooded.

There is talk of some sunshine coming but I am not holding my breath :tongue3:

Will update more in posts to come.....

Please pray for sun for us!!! :geek:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 am 

I feel your pain! We went through the same thing last year and it tried its damnedest to ruin my trip. BUT, we wouldn't let it. We were hopeful and took advantage of every dry opportunity we had. It turned out better than our initial expectations. Hang in there and think positive! It could be worse!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Nobody is happy with the weather this week, not even the locals who usually don't care.

We met some friends yesterday at PF Chang for an early lunch. First thing we noticed was the line practically wrapped around the Grand 14 Cinema, just up the street. They have a $4.95 matinee (first showing of the day, every day) and the theater is not usually crowded. But with the rain, I'll bet they had a big day!

We got to PF Chang about the same time as our friends, and they were SOAKED. They had just come from shopping at Costco, and got caught in a huge downpour on the way back to the car.

The sun is out as I'm typing this, but I'm seeing a forecast for "mostly cloudy" so I guess it will be another day of off and on showers. I'm sorry.....you're right that it does put a damper on things. I'm hoping you can get a little beach time to day, and as phroggy said, try not to let it get you down!

Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted. Everyone enjoys live trip reports. I have not been inside "I Love Candy" yet. Is it like "It's Sugar" at Broadway at the Beach?

Try to stay dry.....and please keep us posted!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:46 am 

So sorry the weather is not cooperating!! I would be really upset. I had really bad weather once when I was forced to come in May. It was cold we had to wear long sleeves on the beach, and the wind was blowing so hard it was sandblasting our legs. It was horrible!!

I really hope the rain goes away for the rest of your trip!!! :sunny:

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 pm 

rain can put a damper on sun fun activities...here hoping the end of the week will bring sunny skies...seems like EVERYONE goes to the movies when it rains at the beach...last time that happened to us...we got to Coastal Grande Mall as early as it opened ...they had an automated ticket machine...we bought our tickets using a credit card...went off to shop for a few hours came back ...the ticket line was really long for those buying tickets...we had ours and walked right in...this was about 2 years ago...not sure if that option is still available...

It sounds like you all are still keeping busy...if it makes you feel any better...here in SE Ohio...all it has been doing is raining...so I would rather be at the beach in the rain... :sunny:

thanks for taking the time to check in with all of us!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:41 pm 

Sorry you're not having the best beach weather! I have some friends down there this week, too - and I keep seeing Facebook updates about rain, rain, and more rain. They've spent a few days at the aquarium already and running out of ideas for the little ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:17 pm 

There's plenty to do in the area for kids when it's raining, Children's Museum of SC, Wonderworks, the Planetarium, bowling, Surf's up Family Fun Center and Roller Skating to name a few.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Beach~Belle, sorry about hijacking your trip report and turning it into a candy store. I apologize since I am often the instigator when this happens!) :oops:

I have deleted those references, so you can continue on with your vacation review without interruption.

Anyone wanting to open a new topic with the candy store information, photos, whatever, please do so, but start it as a new topic under whatever heading you feel appropriate. I wold have moved just those posts, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:14 pm 

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the weather. There are a lot of activities to pass the time but the bottom line is when you are in Myrtle Beach you want to go to the beach. I always feel so sad for people that plan and wait all year for that one week and then the weather, which we have no control over, doesn't co-operate. I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:13 pm 

Just got an update from some friends in MB and they are more than ready to come home. Been a washout this week from the way they have talked. I hate it for them, but you can't control it. Bad to throw out thousands of dollars to watch it rain. Kind of expect maybe a day or two of it, but not a week
. Not any better at home though, considering that it has rained every day this week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:25 pm 

Thanks all! I will post the rest of my update in the next few days. We are on our way home now.

The weather got better into Wednesday. Thursday and Friday were fantastic and I wish we had a few more days of weather like that but we took it as it came.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:22 am 

Beach~Belle wrote:
Thanks all! I will post the rest of my update in the next few days. We are on our way home now.

The weather got better into Wednesday. Thursday and Friday were fantastic and I wish we had a few more days of weather like that but we took it as it came.

We came home on June 29 and it has rained everyday and rain is forecast for at least 7 more. Already 17+ inches above normal for the year. MB not the only place it is raining. :BandHead: Not saw the :sunny: since I left MB.