Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:52 pm 

Sat 22nd - Left northern Cincy at approximately 3:30 am. We were a group of five. Me, my wife, my son (19), my daughter and her friend (both 15). My wife took the first 7 hours and we made good time through KY, TN, and NC. We did the driving swap near the NC / SC border around 9:30 am. Things slowed down quite a bit on I-26 heading towards Columbia. In all my years I haven't seen traffic this heavy. There was never any accidents but just a lot of stop and go traffic. Things didn't break until we were on I-20 outside of Columbia. This traffic caused a 90 minute delay to reach the condo. We got to the condo around 4:30 pm and unpacked. We had dinner at Finn McCool's. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meal and the service was friendly. We headed back for an evening walk on the beach. My wife and I finished the evening with a couple of drinks at Ocean Annie's.

Sun 23rd - We had are typical first day spent on the beach. After breakfast we started on the sand for 2 or 3 hours then we made our way to the condo pool for the early afternoon. That evening we decided to use the Restaurant.com gift certificate for Crossroads at the House of Blues. We got to the restaurant at 5:00 pm to beat the rush. This proved to be my best meal of the week. I had the ribeye steak which was outstanding. My wife had the shrimp and grits. She was very happy with her meal and with the little bit she gave me to sample I could tell why. Our waitress was outstanding with a lot of stories about the House of Blues. If there was any issue it was my daughter who felt the sause on her ribs was just a bit too spicey. I never got a chance to sample them myself so I don't know how hot they actually were. The rest of the evening was spend exploring the different shops at Barefoot Landing. That evening the girls spent the evening on the beach.

Mon 24th - My son and I played Arcadian Shores in the morning. We pick this course because it is so close to the condo. We enjoyed our round but it was very hot and pace of play was rather slow. 18 holes took nearly 5 hours. After golf we joined the girls who by this time were once again at the pool. Today we had an early meal in the condo then drove to Mount Atlanticus for some mini golf. This has been a family favorite for years. It is one of the more unique set ups for mini golf. There is quite a bit of step climbing which could be an issue for some. They have a "19th" hole that offers free rounds for life if you make a hole in one. I got real close to making it this year but I missed by just a tiny bit. Maybe next year.

Tues 25th - This was a bit of a recharge sleep in day. Since I played golf on Monday, I offered up Tuesday as "girls choice day". They picked shopping and we headed for Broadway at the beach shortly before noon. It rained off and on but this didn't stop the shopping to continue. As I write this I now realize that I didn't buy myself anything all week. The girls found a few items and decided to try Mellow Mushroom Pizza for a late lunch / early dinner. The pizza was very good and we left with a lot of leftovers to take back to the condo. We spent the evening at the pool and beach.

Weds 26th - The three girls arranged for a morning horse ride on the beach. They booked this through Inlet Point Plantation. This is in the North Myrtle Beach area. My son and I used this as an excuss to play another round of golf. We played Beachwood Golf Course because is was also in the North Myrtle Beach area. This is one of the least expensive courses to play but we had a very good time. Any round of golf on vacation is a good time. We were paired up with a couple of local players. They were both good golfers and we enjoyed our time playing with them. We did come across a large snake while playing. This snake was nearly 4 feet long and I didn't like the fact that it didn't seem afraid of people. I can't tell one snake from another so I desided to just leave it alone. The girls really enjoyed their time with the horses. They had lunch in the area while they waited for us to finish up on golf. We jumped in the pool to cool off that afternoon and then hit Bimini's for dinner. Bimini's is another favorite of mine. I always order the sauteed scallops and again this year they were perfect. Bimini's is an extremely casual place. It's a bar / restaurant and can be a bit loud. If you are looking for great seafood you might want to check them out.

Thurs 27th - This was another golf day while the girls hit the beach again. We played the International World Tour course. This place was absolutely amazing. The course is made up of holes which are copies of famous holes from around the world. I lost a few golf balls at the TPC #17 island green copy. The Augusta National "Amen Corner" holes area very fun to play as well. This is very nice course which is very well maintained. I wanted to play one higher end course this year. I don't know how many more years my son will be joining us for vacation. We had a great time. We picked up Gyros on the way home from some little Greek place next to Kroger on Lake Arrowhead drive. These were also very good. We hit the pool again in the afternoon and then used the second of my two Restaurant.com gift certificates. This one was for Cali Baker's Firehouse grill. Again this is a bar/restaurant and they do allow smoking in the bar area. I again ordered a ribeye steak which was good. Everyone again seemed to like their meal but they all felt I should look for other places in the future. That evening we hit the beach again.

Fri 28th - We always spend the last day at the beach and pool. The weather did cooperate so it was late in the afternoon when we made our way back to the condo to fix dinner and begin packing. The girls spent the evening at the beach saying their goodbyes to those they had met during the week. The car was all set around 9:00 pm so I went to bed. Fireworks, kids, and traffic made sleeping difficult and 3:00 am was an early wake up call.

Sat 29th - 3:30 am and we were on the road. No issues at all until heavy rain in norther Ky. We made it home in 11 hours 15 minutes. I drove the last 8 hours and was ready for a cold beer once I got home.

Reflections: This was a very good week for us. We spend most our time enjoying the beach and the pool. With the kids getting older I have been able to play a bit more golf which I enjoy. When we dine out we go very early to beat the traffic and waiting to eat. I typically watch Restaurant.com for new dinner options each year. Golf I set up with a package company which gets me the best rates. I can call last minute and they will set up the tee time for me. I sit here on Sunday night and I have already begun to think about next year. Until that time I will just have to get my MB fix by reading all your posts on this web site.

All but once on Shore Drive

Last edited by golfforetom on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for writing a trip review! You packed a lot of activity into a short time!

Thanks, too, for telling us about the golf courses! I can see that you're thinking ahead to the time your son might not want to vacation with you. Hope that time does not come soon!

I wish we had more golfers here! I enjoyed your descriptions of the courses!

How did you daughter and her friend like Inlet Point Plantation? Did they feel it was worth the money?

We used to use the HOB coupons from time to tome and always enjoyed the food there.

Thanks again for taking the time to tell us about your vacation!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:53 pm 

My daughter, her friend and my wife really enjoyed the horse ride on the beach. It is expensive but it's the one "big ticket" item they were looking forward to. One thing they do to get more for their money is to arrive very early for their ride time. (45 minutes early) That gives them a lot of time to pick out their horse. The ride was only one hour but they were with the horses for more than 90 minutes. This was the third time time they have gone on a horse back ride at the beach. Previous years they did a two hour ride but the prices went up so they went with a one hour ride this time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:19 am 

Thanks for sharing your report. We leave Friday and these trip reports are getting me through. :lol: We have noticed the last several years that traffic around Columbia right where you are talking about has been terrible. We spend the night at the Columbian Mall right before you hit I-20 and normally leave around 9:00 A.M. for Myrtle Beach. Last year it was terrible! Did you see any police? Last year we saw 6 cars pulled over within a 10 mile span. We are pretty sure this is what was causing the delays. Drivers slowing down because cars were pulled over.

I have been to House Of Blues many times but I have never heard of anything called Crossroads???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:15 am 

Our delays just seemed like a whole lot of people going the same way. We didn't notice any police in SC. There is some construction on I-20 in the Columbia area.

Crossroads is just the name they use for the restaurant inside the House of Blues. I guess they added the name when they made a large menu change a few years back. Either way it was great food.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:42 pm 

Sounds like it was a wonderful trip!!!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:11 pm 

Thanks for the trip report...sounds like lots of fun...horse riding on the beach sounds lots of fun! 23 days...countdown starting... :ac15[1]:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 am 

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.
I enjoyed every bit of the report,other than the snake :shock:

My son will be turning 17 when we're down next month, and for the last couple of years he has started bringing my nephewa with us.Patti and I are dreading the year that he no longer wants to vacation with us.
Like Patrish said,hopefully for the both of us,its many many years before it happens,if at all.
Again,I really enjoyed your report,especially the way you paced out your vacation.

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:11 am 

Thanks so much for taking the time to post! Sounds like a WONDERFUL trip!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 am 

Sounds like a great family vacation! I didn't know about the horse rides, thanks for sharing that info!

psst - for those worried about "older" kids not wanting to go on vacation with their parents....I'll be 37 next week and I still love to go with mine when I'm invited! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 pm 

Thanks for sharing your beach time. The horseback riding sounded like a neat thing to do.

As far as kids not wanting to go on vacation with you my kids went through that for a few years in their early twenties and now we couldn't shake them if we tried. Lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:35 pm 

golfforetom I didn't want to quote your whole post, but we've golfed Arcadian Shores before to and me and my brother in law say the same thing when we go golfing in Myrtle Beach, why do they always put us behind the slow people. The whole course can be empty and they put us behind 3 groups no matter what course we place lol But I guess I'm in Myrtle Beach and not working so I'll spend the 5 hours on the course. But I won't be able to post anything when I go in Aug we are boring when we go I just go to get away from work. We spend an hour on the beach in the morning and then walk on it at night and thats my trip to Myrtle Beach lol