Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 22-29 2013 Surfside
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 am 

Day 1
Was up at 2:45 a.m for a quick shower and to load what was left in the car. I had already packed all the big items up top, so not much left to gather up. Ended up leaving Kentucky at 4 a.m. , which was about 30 minutes behind regular schedule, but not bad. Drive was uneventful. Our plan is to always drive until one of the kids (or wife) has to go to the bathroom. Luckily this year, the toddler (newly potty trained) made it all the way east of Columbia before she woke up. Amazingly, she has did the whole potty training thing day time and night time all at once. No accidents in the car, and to play it safe we didn't want to venture far without a stop after she was up. So, with 40 miles left in the tank we stopped at a Kangaroo and got gas for $3.19 . That was a record drive distance for us without a bathroom or gas stop :notworthy: . After we filled up the tank and completed other necessities we made a no stop drive all the way to BATB. Made the trip in 7 hours and 20 minutes which is a pretty good time for driving during the day.

Had a couple of hours before room would be ready and since it had rained earlier I needed to swap out the hazardous crocs sandals I had on for something with more grip. I love my crocs, but since they have discontinued this style, I have just about worn these out. No tread left on the bottom and from prior experience I know not to walk on wet surfaces in them. Found a place called Comfortable Soles ( I think) and bought another pair ,can't remember brand, but do know they have new tread. After the new shoes we met some of the other family that had been here since Wed. for lunch at Sweet Carolina. The meal was good, not super, but it was in Myrtle Beach and that is all that matters. After the meal made a quick run to Piggly Wiggly And luckily our room was ready by 3:00. After resting a few minutes we met the rest of the family (15 total in MB at various places) for a meal at Prossers. Once again the food was good and you can't beat an all you can eat for $12.95 which includes free iced tea. You know you are at the right place for food and price when the parking lot is full of cars with local license plates. After eating back to the room for a much needed sleep.

Day 2
Beach day for the morning. We don't stay directly on the beach and usually just park at the other families condo and spend our beach time with them. Luckily this year they happened to be a public access right next to them with a ramp and very few steps leading to the beach. My moms knee is about shot and it is hard for her to climb at the places that have a lot of steps that cross over the native grasses. The ramp worked out great for her and really helped with the beach stroller that I pull with 6 beach chairs, 3boogie boards, and a cooler stacked on. If you don't have one of these you don't know what your missing. Forecast had called for scattered showers, but even with a few ugly clouds inland it never rained. Turned out to be a great weather day. After 4 hours at the beach we cleaned up and went to Carolina Roadhouse for dinner. Used call ahead seating, so wait wasn't bad for a party of 15. Wonderful food. After eating and a quick trip at the Garden City Wal Mart we went back to room.

Day 3 Monday
Beach day for girls and golf at Arrowhead for us. Will continue later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:34 am 

Yay - sounds like you're all off to a great start! Fun to have that much family in town, too!

Enjoy your golf! Sorry you didn't think Sweet Carolina's was better, we enjoyed it enough to go back twice :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Admin

So glad you are FINALLY here, and that your trip was uneventful. Enjoy the beach!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 am 

7 hours and 20 minutes, dang, that sounds soooo much nicer than my 13 hours. Jealous!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:12 pm 

Sounds great so far!! Sounds like you have a nice day planned out for today!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:53 pm 

micountrygal wrote:
Yay - sounds like you're all off to a great start! Fun to have that much family in town, too!

Enjoy your golf! Sorry you didn't think Sweet Carolina's was better, we enjoyed it enough to go back twice :D

Food wasn't bad. Had some pretty good lunch specials. Service was not great, which makes the food have to be excellent to overcome. Waitress came across as not wanting to be there. Had to ask her if the sweet cornbread was still offered. She said yes, that she was meaning to bring that. Bad thing was that other tables around us all had it and main courses were about to come to our table. Food had a good flavor though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 pm 

Interesting, and I wish my drive was 7 hrs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:19 pm 

Well, time sure didn't slow down for us this week. Got back home at 5:15 this morning. Can't believe the trip is already over. Seems like we just took off for the beach only a couple of days ago. Now to get back to the report.

Monday

Part of the crew went to the beach and we went golfing. Had a 12:10 tee time at Arrowhead. Always play at least one of our rounds here. Nice staff and free range balls. After hitting a few range balls we went to clubhouse for the free lunch that was included and the skies opened up. Luckily it cleared off about 10 minutes after scheduled tee time and although it looked liked rain the entire time it held off for our round.

After the golf we decided to head down to Driftwoods. We had forgotten that Mondays were BOGO half off. Didn't complain about that. Had to wait about an hour to be seated since we had a large party, but it was worth the wait. To summarize it, we enjoyed Murrels Inlet quality food without the cost. Unlimited hushpuppies and some kind of seafood spread that is great. I had the captains platter which was about $16 (same exact platter at Lees Inlet $26). Platter was so big that I couldn't finish it. Fish, shrimp, scallops, oysters, and deviled crab cake. Wife had prime rib and older kids split a chicken tender platter and others had kids meal. Total was about $50, which was our cheapest meal of the week. Others in family agreed that this was the best meal of the week and that was with us also eating Carolina Roadhouse and Lees Inlet kitchen. It was late after we ate, so we ended up just going back to the room. More later.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:48 pm 

Tuesday June 25
Beach day today. Weather had a rain look again. Not bad considering the sun was out at the beach, but darker clouds if you looked inland. Pretty much a repeat of weather the whole stay. Can't complain since we didn't have much actual rain on the south end of the beach during the week. Just didn't have any of the clear blue sunny sky days the entire week. Our days consist of three or four hours of beach time and then back to the room to clean up for an early dinner. Tonight's meal was picked by the sister in law the was celebrating a birthday. Ended up going to lees inlet kitchen. Got seated about 10 minutes before the early bird specials ended. I once again had a seafood combo on early bird menu. It was $16 but much smaller and a few less items than the $16 seafood I had a night earlier at driftwoods
Food was great, but I had a hard time paying the same price for two less items and smaller portions than I did the night before. Most of the others in the party had ribeyes from early bird menu. Guess they didn't want seafood two days in a row. Total bill for my 6 was $85.

After dinner we took hwy 31 down to the Tanger outlets in NMB. Dropped the ladies off there and went down to check out PGA superstore (formerly Martins). Bought a head cover for the boys driver and got a couple of clubs regripped. Was close to 9 p.m, so store was closing and we headed back over to pick up the women. Skies once again looked horrible and there was frequent lightning inland, but it didn't rain. Headed back toward Surfside and picked up some Krispy Kreme doughnuts and went back to room.