Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 2-8 Ocean Park
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:21 pm 

I'm aware that I'm a lousy board member. I read this board quite a bit and pick up a lot of information but rarely post because I don't feel I have much of value to contribute.. I enjoy reading the trip reports and I know others do too, so this is my attempt to contribute to the board. I'm more comfortable doing a "categories" report than trying to remember what happened day to day.

FLIGHT
I know most people on here drive to MB, and we did too when we lived in Indiana. But drive from Phoenix.....no thanks. We always fly into Charleston because it costs $100+ per person more to fly from Phoenix to MB. Plus, Southwest flies into Charleston, and we like SW because there is no bag fee and because they are fanatics about being on time. The drive from Charleston to MB is worth the $250-$300 we save. As for the flight itself, we took off from Phoenix, we landed in Nashville, we took off again and landed in Charleston. We got to Charleston 25 minutes early and had to sit on the tarmac for 5 minutes waiting for our gate to clear.

HOTEL
We stayed at the Ocean Park on our very first trip to MB in 1987 and decided to be nostalgic and stay there again. Clean room, nothing fancy, good location, very comfortable bed, full kitchen. Our last trip 2 years ago we stayed at the Ocean Reef, and our room there was way superior to this room, but we also paid almost twice as much to stay there. Parking at the Ocean Reef was a constant headache, and we never had a problem finding a place to park at the Ocean Park. The staff at the OP was very friendly and helpful, the place was clean, and we'd have no problem staying there again.

PIRATES VOYAGE
We've done Medieval Times and Dixie Stampede, so we thought we'd try the newest version. The food was OK, nothing spectacular, (chicken, pork, potato, corn on the cob, soup) and the show was very entertaining. The show has quite a bit of Cirque de Solei influence in it. (Did I spell that right?) Lots of acrobatics and stunts all done in a water setting. Throw in some birds, dogs, and sea lions and it was definitely worth seeing.

FOOD
If we want seafood in Phoenix, Red Lobster and Long John Silver's is about as good as it gets. So when we go to MB, seafood is the order of the day. Our favorite is still Captain George's, followed by Original Benjamin's. We believe those 2 are by far the best of the seafood buffets in MB. We always have a meal at K & W Cafeteria, and we stopped there Sunday evening after we drove in from Charleston. We've never had a bad meal at that place, and the prices are very reasonable. We ate at Damon's one evening. The outside dining area is right on the beach and is a great place to eat a meal. Unfortunately, the food was mediocre. The ribs were average, and my wife was not thrilled with her steak. When we are in MB we usually eat 2 meals a day, breakfast and an early dinner. Our best breakfast, as usual, was at Cracker Barrel. We thought Mammy's Kitchen and Spring Garden...or was it Garden Spring?.... were both pretty good, too. We also ate a couple of times at one of the seemingly hundreds of pancake houses that dot MB, and the food was nothing much to talk about.

WEATHER
On Tuesday we had sunshine all day. Every other day we were there it was cloudy with periods of rain. I'm sure that most people would find that very disappointing for a vacation at the beach. But we live in the desert. Cloudy/rainy days are rare for us. Every day is the same, sun and blue skies all the time. We thought the weather was great. We played miniature golf in the rain one day and loved it. As far as we are concerned, we had excellent weather. The temps in MB were cool and felt great. It was in the low 80s all week and was perfect. A humid day in the desert is 20%, so being in 70-80% humidity was a challenge, but it wasn't so bad. When we got home on Saturday and walked out of the airport into a temp of 109, we knew we weren't in MB any more.

OK, that's it. We go to MB to relax and take it easy and enjoy being at our favorite beach and don't ever plan many activities, which doesn't make for an exciting trip report, but it's all I've got.

Post subject: Re: June 2-8 Ocean Park
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 pm 

Your trip report was great! Good for you not letting the rain put a damper, literally, on your holiday. Never underestimate your ability to contribute. Sometimes a comment is just the info someone is looking for. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 pm 

I thought your report was great :nanner: I LOVE reading trip reports. All the different styles of writing and the different things that we do are what makes them great. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations! You have just risen from a "lousy board member" to the upgraded status of a "renowned and beloved trip reporter!"

>…but rarely post because I don't feel I have much of value to contribute.
If this board relied on value of contributions, it would suddenly become a very quiet and dull place.

Your information on Ocean Park was fairly presented, and I know there are lots of people who don't want/need fancy amenities. But the most important thing is knowing they are staying somewhere clean. We hear it over and over again. So I know this information will help arm our visitors with good information as they search for a place to stay.

"We go to MB to relax and take it easy and enjoy being at our favorite beach and don't ever plan many activities…"
And THAT is often the best vacation of all. :cool:

Thanks for taking the time to write this review.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:42 am 

AZdryheat wrote:
I read this board quite a bit and pick up a lot of information but rarely post because I don't feel I have much of value to contribute..

Your trip report was great! You'd be amazed at how much we all pick up from each other.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:51 am 

Well I can relate to the "lousy board member status". I get so much enjoyment from the board but it is like pulling teeth getting me to do a trip report. I really liked your trip report. You did an excellent job. Concise and to the point. I enjoy all types of trip reports, the wordy ones and the short ones. So glad you had a great vacation. The drive from Charleston to Myrtle Beach is not that bad. We have done it many times as an alternate route. It makes good sense saving that much on airfares. Thank you for the trip report.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 pm 

I LOVED your trip report! Sounds a lot like mine. Enjoyed the fact that the rainy weather was ok by you...I have never thought about it from the "dry heat" point of view. I still have a while to wait on my beach vacation. So every report is valued by me. Helps me get motivated to prepare for the trip...Thanks again! JoAnn