Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:43 pm 

Loving the report. Yes, it does take a lot of time to write and post pictures. Dayton House is on my list of possible places to stay if I ever want something different than the Compass Cove where I stay now. First 2 trips down I stayed at Sea Dip. Please keep snapping the pictures. :D

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:07 am 

Monday

Gonna have a breakdown.

Lauren broke down. She didnt want to do anything. Is she sick? We can always tell. Heather is now not happy. We ask what is wrong and always get "Nothing." She is mooping around the room and now so it Heather because she knows something is wrong. So it will be a day with Emma for me. She is bugging about wanting to go to the pool so we head down while Mom and Lauren sat at a table and umbrella. We start to feel rain drops on way to pool. I tell Emma we need to get in pool because we dont want to get wet. I just know she thinks I'm loony. Looking out to the road, we can see it is raining pretty hard out in town. No rain on beach now, just few drops.

We swam all morning and got some lazy river in which really made Emma thrilled.

Lunch time was the same old same old, some sandwiches and now with a side of bickering between the kids. Its starting, LOL. After lunch I tried to cheer Lauren up by suggesting Broadway at the Beach. We didn't go anywhere last time so I wanted to make sure we check it out. That perked Lauren right up.

Broadway at the Beach is pretty cool. We aren't all into buying a lot of souvenir stuff, but the kids do the spouting of, "can I get this?" "Can I get that?" of course. We do get suckered into buying fudge, we always do. She tried to sucker me with her buy 4 half pound chunks get 2 free. Ah... nah, fudge is stupidly over priced to begin with, I'm not shelling out $40 for fudge no matter how much you give me. So almost $20 it is. We spent about an hour and a half and then headed down to Murrells Inlet to browse the shops and hit Prosser's for dinner.

Driving through we pass Prosser's. Heather doesn't like the looks of it at all. She is pretty skeptical about run down looking places. I say usually the ones that don't look appealing to the eyes are usually the best places to eat. It looks closed though and now I recall reading that it isn't open for dinner every night and has limited hours. I don't know, they don't have a website, just a facebook page that I can find and I have no idea how to navigate facebook nor can I navigate anyways on the phone since I can't seem to ever get wifi on the laptop during the day. Heather and I are the last people on earth to not be on facebook, LOL. So, I have no idea what their hours are.

Anyways, we drive down and stop at The Lazy Gator. We stopped there back in 2011 and they liked that shop. That is when it fell apart. I was lagging behind and instead of going in, I walked across the little bridge over the swamp to see if I could catch sight of the alligator we saw last time. Nope, just turtles so I head in to catch up with the girls.As I open the door the girls are on their way out. Lauren is feeling like she's going to throw up. So off back to the room we go after driving the whole way down there.

Well, she did fine on the way home. Back in the room she falls asleep. I think it was just all the sun exposure that set her off. Heather takes it rough any time the kids are sick. We've had a lot of problems with hospital stays and pnemonia when they were little, so it really affects Heather when they are sick.

Emma is content with just watching TV and Heather and I sit out on the balcony. It is still pretty early. I try to cheer Heather up with my theory of it being the sun and Lauren just has to sleep it off. She's ready to just pack it up and head home. Both girls have actually been stuffy in the nose since the last day of school (Wednesday before we left for MB.) All the sneezing, sniffling, and coughing at night because they have to blow their nose always drives Heather insane.

Like I said, I'm like a little kid with stuff flying in the air. All we have to do is sit out on the balcony. So here are my shots of the planes and helicopter rides going by. I still haven't caught the pelicans and they've been by twice now.

After an hour or so, Lauren is still sound asleep so I ask Emma if she wants to go down with me and just walk around in the surf and hunt for some more shark teeth. We hung out for about half an hour when I looked up and saw both Lauren and Heather out on the balcony. After a few more minutes we head up to see how Lauren is doing.

She is doing 100% better which I think confirms my theory that it was too much sun. It is now really late since we are use to dinner around 4:30 before Heather normally goes to work. It is now around 7 pm and we are all starving, including Lauren.

Instead of Prosser's, since we passed The Bar-b-que House 3 times now through our evening travels and it is on my list to try, we head back to the Surfside Beach area. I didn't expect for it to look the way it does. It looks kind of fast foodish. We walk in and it smells wonderful.

We check out the menu of which we already looked at it from me printing and bringing it in my paperwork in the laptop bag. I shoukd have Emma write on Yelp an article on the best chicken strips on The Grand Strand because she gets them again. Heather gets a 1/4 chicken white meat with mashed potatoes. The waitress says it will be a bit of a wait because the chicken is just about to come out of the smoker. That sounds like a good sign to me of good food coming. Lauren wanted chopped pork and gets the small serving with fries. I wanted the pick 2 with chopped pork and ribs but they were out of ribs. So I went with just the chopped pork but got the medium size. I have never had sweet potato fries so went with that.

Food came, looks and smells wonderful. It looks like I got the small size serving and Lauren got the medium size as her pile of pork is much larger than mine. She ate about half of it and gave the rest to me.

I'm starting to think that all these barbeque places cook the meats then put them in a smoker to add smoke and warm them up. I smoke at home, so I know what a 14 hour true smoked pork butt should taste like. I know what ribs 6 hours in a smoker tastes like. And I know what chicken after 4 hours in a smoker tastes like. Thus far, any barbeque place we have tried had very little to no smoke flavor. It's not that the food was bad, it was delicious, but it did not taste like truely smoked meats. I do know now though that I do not like sweet potato fries. I'm glad I finally got to try them though. Not bad, just not my cup of tea. I realize I prefer regular french fries. The chicken fingers though, according to Emma, AWESOME just like she always says. So we walked out of there with $41 less out of the checkbook not including tip. Not bad considering at crappy fast food we would never get out for under $30, up to $37 if it's Arby's which the girls love.

On the way back we hunt down a Walgreens so we can get some Sudafed for the girls. Whoops, forgot about how late it was and of course how you have to sign your life away and agree that you aren't going to snort the stuff to get high and we can't get it that late. I have horrible allergies (at home, I haven't taken anything now nor back in 2011 for my allergies down here), Emma has allergies pretty bad, and Lauren is diagnosed with mild athsma on top of allergies, so we buy a lot of Sudafed.

Back in the room since Lauren had such a rough day, the girls just hang out and watch TV while Heather and I sit on the balcony watching over the ocean making sure it doesn't go anywhere. We can see a storm rolling in over the water and suddenly we have a light show to watch. Lightning is flashing and zagging all over the sky. It is awesome to watch over the emptyness of the ocean. We have nothing but hills and trees at home, the horizon is very high in the sky for us. With the low horizon the lightning is the coolest thing we've ever been able to sit and watch. Now I'm thinking though how smart it is sitting 2 floors from the top of a highrise standing at a metal railing watching it, LOL. It rained pretty good on the beach, thus the beach was completely empty. Very strange looking not seeing everyone walking the beach with their flashlights (and cell phones.) We can hear everyone ooohhhing and aaawwwing out on their balconies though. Pretty spectacular ending to a pretty crappy day.

Tomorrow, another mild breakdown and I have a good bit more pictures, though not what I wanted with a mild breakdown of the camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 am 

A bad day at the beach beats a good day at home anytime.......there's a couple hundred people on this board that would trade places with you right now! Hope everythings goes smooth for the rest of your stay!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 am 

Sorry to hear about your little one. It's always scary when you are away from home and one of them doesn't feel well. Hope all goes well today and the rest of your trip is relaxing and uneventful!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 am 

We had trouble convincing the rest of the family to take the walk into prossers too. Doesn't look like it would be the best place from the outside. It is clean on the inside though. Guess the costs stay low because they haven't renovated the outside. It has turned into one of the favorite places at the beach.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 am 
Site Admin

We still have not been to Prosser's, but it always gets good reviews on the board.

Sorry about the meltdowns. It makes it really difficult on the parents when a child gets sick.

We watched the lightning last night, too. We noticed quite a display through the living room windows, so we went out on the front porch and took a seat to watch the show.

I like your flying objects shots! :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm 

There always seems to be one day at the beach where I feel sick!! In 2011, after eating Quigley's I had to have my step dad pull over. I was fine after I sat in the front seat. Last year, it happened to my fiance while we were at dinner at Margaritaville. I insisted he drink water, and after that he felt fine! Something about being in the sun!!

Still sounds like a great trip!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:31 am 

I can't wait to see where Emma gets chicken planks next!! Great report.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:15 am 

Really enjoying your trip report. You have a great knack for writing. Sorry to hear your daughter was not feeling well. Hope the last few days of your trip will go smoother. I know Prosser's has a lot of fans on this board but I am not one. We only went there one time but were not that impressed. To be fair, it could have been our state of mind that evening. It was the typical buffet you see here in the Smoky Mountains. I guess when I am at the beach I do not want to be reminded of home.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 pm 

WVParkfan wrote:
I can't wait to see where Emma gets chicken planks next!! Great report.

Does she get chicken planks yet again? Does she get something completely different and off-the-wall? Does she have a major meltdown and dinner is ruined all together? What's in store for the next installment? Alien abductions? Shark attack? A near drowning? You have to stay tuned for the next episode if you want to find out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:45 pm 

:ac41[1]:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:07 pm 

I'd like to thank you for the trip report too.

We'll be there in a couple of weeks and the waiting is a little easier when you can visit vicariously through someone else in the meantime.

Post subject: June 7-14, Dayton House
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:14 am 

This is great - we will be there in two weeks - can't wait. How is hotel?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:46 am 

Sunbabymom wrote:
This is great - we will be there in two weeks - can't wait. How is hotel?

Are you staying at Dayton house? Is that why you are asking?

This is our 2nd trip and 2nd to the Dayton House. We were thrilled with it last time so booked again.

This time the room was a bit dusty when we checked in. There was dust on the TVs and other non-dresser stuff. TV had fingerprints all over it from kids before us. Thats about it.

We just got a new bed earlier this year so I can't really judge the beds. They were extremely uncomfortable in that respect. Also, they are doubles, not queen. Our feet hung off the end and we're. ot exactly tall. I'll admit though, we aren't exactly thin either, so we didn't fit in that direction. either, lol.

The pool is great. Fairly clean though but I'm now a harsh judge on public pools since getting our own last year and taking care of it via learning at Troublefreepool.com. Kids kicked in a lot of landscape mulch into the lazy river all week long.

It was busy all week. Lot of people in the pools and a lot of people on the beach to the north and south of us. Not a whole lot on the beach directly in front of the Dayton House.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:02 am 

It has something to do with Murrells Inlet. Went to The Lazy Gator in 2011 and then Creek Ratz for dinner (awesome.) Emma got sick back then and we ran immediately back to the hotel. We go to Murrells Inlet this trip, Lauren gets sick. We've yet to see the Marsh Walk. I don't know where to go to see the docks. Murrells Inlet doesn't like us.

I'm losing track of time. What is it? Oh, Tuesday! I'm obviously way behind now since it's all over now. I'll get it all in though.

I was up way too late on Monday night. After sleeping all afternoon, Lauren can't sleep either. We are sleeping in later each morning, the usual for me because I end up staying up later and later. I use to love working night turn shift because I could never fall asleep at a normal time at night then have to get up early in the morning. Lately though, I have been getting to sleep at normal time even on weekends and getting up after my customary 6 hours of sleep. But Monday night was back to my old 2 am heading to bed.

Remember the lifeguard out in front of our hotel? Well, I've nearly drowned about 7 times now to be rescued, LOL :mrgreen: . Nah, just kidding, haha! Heather is actually getting up early, even before me which is very unusual. Of course, she points out our lifeguard, the girl is gone. Now the lifeguard is a boy. Looks like my fake drownings have come to an end. Lauren gets up and comes out on the balcony. She is pretty happy with the changing of lifeguards :nanner: .

Emma and Lauren are getting on each others' nerves more and more. Neither want to do anything. We tell them they are doing whatever it is we want to do and they have fun. I just don't know why it's such a hassle before hand to get away from the hotel. What kid doesn't want to go to the beach when you're at Myrtle Beach? I certainly loved the beach when I was a kid even if I didn't like being dragged everywhere else when we weren't on the beach.

We head down to the beach today. Of course, the girls don't want to but we are anyways. I went out in the water and the girls hung out looking for shells in the surf. We spent a good bit of time up chillin in the chairs reading. I actually read 2 whole chapters this morning, LOL.

Lunch time same ole thing. That's starting to get boring. After lunch everyone grabs showers and they just hang out on the balcony. I am jumping in the car for that elusive Sudafed at Walgreens. Hey, I haven't listened to a thing on the radio the entire time since leaving home. What is my beach music? Well, I have to go back, way back to when I was a youngster coming to the beach. Van Halen, specifically the album 5150. Hot Summer Nights has always been my #1 summer song. We listened to that album many many years through the summers playing basketball, softball, volleyball, at the pool, in the car once we had driver's license, at the beach on vacation, in our Walkman stereos, all up until OU812 came out, which then it was both albums playing constantly all summer.

So, I think I'll just drop the windows, wack open the ole sunroof, still cranking the AC on to blow cold air on me I plug in the phone and crank up some 5150 to head out to a Walgreens. I'm jamming out to Halen and cruise down Ocean Blvd. Plans are to hit the 2nd Ave. Pier for dinner, but I don't think the kids can make walking the half mile to the boardwalk and the mile down the boardwalk again. I nearly killed them in 2011 doing that, LOL. My work is 115 with extremely high humidity due to the steam molding I do so I am pretty accustomed to extreme heat. I still don't do well with sun, but can handle it better than the girls. Thus, I think we need to drive up and park.

So, on my way to Walgreens I check out parking along the boardwalk area. I have a feeling that it is going to be a madhouse though.

I get to Walgreens and get our Sudafed. When I get back we chill in room for an hour or so, then head down to 2nd Ave. Pier for dinner.

It is absolutely excellent! I've never done food pictures and figured I'd snap a few since we had some great light coming in the window. So, did Emma get chicken tenders? You bet she did. Though I didn't get a shot of them. Heather had the grilled chicken sandwich with basil mayonaise. She had that last time and loved it. It didn't disappoint this year either. I did get a really bad shot of her sandwich, can't make out too much. Sorry about that, I probably shouldn't even include it. I was taking it holding the phone way out of my view and guessed.

Lauren and I got a salad with our meal. This is what I grow out in the garden and love salad like this. Caught someone theiving on my cucumber chunks on camera, LOL.

Lauren is usually a hamburger girl when she goes out. This time she wanted the chicken breast with BBQ sauce. I gave it a try and it was extremly juicy just like the chicken on Heather's sandwich. Good sauce on it as well.

And for me? Well, I'm down here to eat as much shrimp as I can so I got the fried shrimp platter. Simply awesome. Cooked perfectly. Breaded lightly and not heavily fried. So fresh. I thoroughly enjoyed these. I had some hushpuppies with mine which had bits of sweet caramelized corn in them.

Total for dinner tonight is $53 without tip. It seems we are much happier with dinner when it costs about $10 more. All our $40 dinners we weren't impressed with.

Shark attack!

I warned you all of a shark attack. That's our little Emma, as corny as ever when she's not the usual bear.

I told you the girls were fighting the whole time. Emma was attacked by the shark and I think Lauren was pretty happy about that and gave the shark a big hug.

After dinner we get to walk out on the pier. I'm hoping someone catches something for the girls to see. As soon as we walk out, someone is walking a catch down the edge. It's a ray, pretty cool. Unfortunately Emma can't see over the railing as well as it keeps swimming under the pier. Eventually either he cut the line or the line broke because we walked out to the end of the pier and he showed back up there.

The meltdown? Yes, this is where the Emminator Meltdown begins. "This is so boring!" "It's too hot!" Emma's nickname is The Zipper because she is normally just a ball of energy. Yet, any time we go somewhere she has no energy to do anything, complains of being tired, and complains of being bored. We walked to the end of the pier and I did get to manage to get some shots off.

We promised Emma for the pier walk, we would walk down the boardwalk and grab some ice cream. Emma really melts down now. We don't want to walk out in the mainstream out on Ocean Blvd. Instead we figure we would walk down the boardwalk and towards the main stuff around the skywheel, we would find ice cream. Well, Emma didn't make it. Acting like she is going to die from walking, we turn around and head back to the car. Like I said, we've been avoiding Ocean Blvd. and all the shops, but Lauren wants to go to Gay Dolphin. Hopefully we can make it there at least before we leave.

Why is it when you are hunting for something, you see them everywhere, but when you want it, you can't find it anywhere? Heading back, we are going to stop for ice cream. Everywhere we look when driving somewhere in the car we see homemade ice cream shops. Now we want that and we can't find a thing. There is an ice cream place 1 block over from where we park at the hotel so we stop in there, Kirk's 1890 Ice Cream Parlor. I can't believe it, it is nothing more than really expensive plain old Blue Bunny/Bell ice cream. Heck, at home this is what we always get when we get ice cream with groceries, only for the price of a half gallon, we are paying for a single scoop cone!

We pretty much hung out in the room the rest of the night. Heather and I enjoyed the balcony while the girls watched TV.

Oh wait. Didn't I say something about alien abductions? Ok, so no we didn't actually have an alien abduction. Nor did we go to BATB to the Alien Encounters. I've told the girls about the orange lights in the sky that have been reported for years. We are sitting out on the balcony when Heather jumps up and points out to the sky over the water. "Look!" There it is right in the middle of the sky a large orange light appears. Another one appears and then they disappear. It is pretty hazy out and they aren't very bright, but they are definitely there. They appear briefly again and disappear. Very strange. We sit out for a while longer waiting for more lights but no more appear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next