Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:36 am 

Sounding great so far!!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:00 am 

Enjoying your trip report immensely. I like your style of writing. Please don't change it. I like all the added details of packing, the car, the weather, etc. Your photos are wonderful. Sure makes me miss the beach.
Judy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:46 pm 

I also am enjoying your report. The pictures are beautiful and good for you finding the elusive shark's teeth. It was also good to hear the weather cleared up for you. Looking forward to the rest of the trip.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:03 pm 

mrodgers wrote:

As silly as the old song was; this picture typifies it perfectly...

"Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning"...so amazingly beautiful! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, everyone loves trip reviews, and I think that goes double for LIVE trip reports (and probably quadruple if they have photos!) :cool: Glad you, Heather and the girls are having a great time and enjoying the ocean!

"Now I know what I am looking for."
And that's the secret to finding shark teeth. As your photo shows, now you find them everywhere.

Loved the "arrival" photo. That's really a lovely sight! And thanks for the sunrise shot. Beautiful!

As far as what people put in their trip reports, anything goes here. I know there are reviews for travel sites with forms that must be filled out. I've done them myself and they make you stick to the subjects. But I would much rather read the posts here where people simply write what comes to mind. We've had trip reports with restaurant reviews in every location where they stopped before getting to the beach. We've heard about a dog kennel that was so bad the people had return home until they found other arrangement for Fido. People who were 5 hours into their trip when they got held up for 5 more hours at a car repair shop. It's all a part of getting here! And if anyone comes across something they may consider a boring, simply skip over it and you're sure to find something about the beach before long!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:01 pm 

I agree Patrish. The more info the better. To me vacation involves everything from loading the car to coming back through the front door when it's over. The drive down is one of my favorite parts of the trip. Nothing like heading to the beach and knowing you are only a few hours from paradise. I like all the preparation it takes to get ready for my favorite week of the year and enjoy reading what others do during that time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:19 am 

SUNDAY

Just another day at the beach. Now we're ready, got our lunch grub in the fridge, kids have their boogie boards. Picked up a bucket and small shovel because I promised Emma some sand stuff for her Hotwheel cars (she loves her Hotwheels.)

Again, I'm up with the sun while everyone is snoozing away. So it's another morning of watching the sun come up and watching the lifeguard setting up the umbrellas. Last trip the lifeguard out in front of our building was so meticulous at setting his umbrellas up. He would pace them off, stoop down and sight down the beach to the other umbrellas. Move around and sight down the other end of the beach. Move over an inch or two, sight down the beach again, poke his digger into the ground, go pace it off to make sure it was right, etc, etc. It was funny to watch. Well, this year, I've got even better to watch....

Ha ha! I was razzing Heather a bit about my beach view.

Yup, it's going to be another typical day at the beach. It's a bit more overcast today. This morning the water had a bit more bite with the temperature. Still amazingly warm though. We didn't have water like this even in August in Maryland. Even though the tide is still up there and the waves are still pretty large, it isn't nearly as rough as it was yesterday. The water wasn't pulling me around at all. Lauren and Emma even ventured in a bit deeper.

Well, today is the day. I need to make something for Emma to play with her cars. So, we mounded up some sand, made a few building things that she could drive on. Smoothed out some roads for her. Made a little bridge with a tunnel underneath. She sat and watched me make all this, then went up to the chairs to read her book the rest of the morning. Well, it was fun anyways. I am certainly not getting any architectural engineering awards for it or anything, but here it is....

So around 12:30 we head up for lunch. Now we have some turkey sandwiches, some tuna sandwiches, Heather grabbed some salad mix for herself, the kids like those little 4 inch individual pizzas, a heck of a lot lighter than yesterday. We sit down out on the balcony and Heather looks like she is on fire. She's a redhead, and boy do I love the redheads She doesn't do well in the sun. We were all sunscreened up, but her prescription says not to do too much sun. The script must somehow affect the sunscreen because the rest of us are fine, though I've got Italian blood in me, I typically burn once, then I'm tan and fine in the sun the rest of the summer. Emma the little one is like me while Lauren has to make sure she is all sunscreened up. I feel so bad. After lunch, she ended up just staying in the room and Emma didn't want to come back down to the beach either.

While at lunch, I snagged a north and south photo from the balcony.

Well, the tide is out now after lunch. Lauren has her boogie board and we head out in the water. She braves it out and when a break from the larger waves comes, she gets out beyond the wave breaks to bob around with me. She's still pretty scared of the big ones coming though even though we just bob up and over them so she headed back in shallower after a few minutes. She's getting braver though, maybe I'll have her out there for a good bit in a few days.

I pretty much bobbed around out there while Lauren was jumping onto the board in the waves trying to ride them in. We took a bit of a walk down the beach a short ways grabbing some shark teeth here and there.

We headed back up to the room and was amazed again at how little time passed by. We were only in the water about an hour, felt like several hours. Playing in the waves exhausts you, wow.

Dinner time tonight, I have plans to head to Murrells Inlet, Pawley's Island, or other places every night. Emma has been bugging us about Ultimate California Pizza though all day today. There is one several hundred feet down the road, but no one wanted to go anywhere. I ended up ordering for delivery and we ate out on the balcony. I have to say, I was wrong about UCP. I must remember it differently because it was excellent. A little too much sauce for my liking, but everything was tasty, from the crust to the sauce to the cheese. Made Emma pretty happy.

After dinner we head back out on the beach. Walked along nearly to the 14th Avenue Pier before the kids were tired. Emma keeps bringing me black shell fragments asking if they are shark teeth. She finally found of her own tonight. Once she found one, she starts spotting them everywhere just like my experience. I think tonight is the night of the smallest shark teeth finding. We were finding some really tiny teeth. Again, everything we found was tiny. Also found some nice shells for them to add to their collection.

Some pretty small shark teeth.

There were two groups setting up to fish as we passed by on the way towards the pier. On the way back, still light out, there was a lot of commotion and a large group standing around. When we got closer, we could see they had about a 4 foot shark up in the sand. They weren't fishermen, just idiot kids fishing. Idiots because now the 3 of them are trying to pick the shark up. The other group yelled, "what do you plan on doing with it?" and they hollered something and went running up to the hotel carrying a 4 foot shark in their arms. It was wrenching around and snapping it's jaw while they ran up the beach. They ended up dropping it once and they're lucky someone didn't get bit. I have no idea what they did with it, they ran into the hotel property whooping and hollering.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is illegal to specifically fish for sharks, right? Even so, you don't go running up to the hotel carrying a 4 foot shark like a bunch of idiots. I'm fairly sure you can't keep it if you catch one and don't think you should anyways. Sure it is neat to catch adn see, but any real fisherman would let everyone watch you land it and see it, then release it back into the water. What a bunch of idiots.

Had just my phone with me and tried to grab a shot. First one was as they ran by but my phone camera was set for the sunrise, so too dark. I couldn't recover it and it looks real bad. You can somewhat see they are carrying a shark. Second shot they were too far away and reaching the hotel. This is just before they drop the thing in the sand. Had to hurry and get through the clunky camera controls to fix the exposure and get the shot. Again, a crappy image.

Speaking of idiots, we head back up to the room and the kits get some TV time while we hang out on the balcony. There is public parking next to our neighbor hotel and a car pulls in with 4 kids in it. They sat there for 3 hours blasting their getto music while the girls stick their butts in the air and shake it for 3 hours. I guess that is what is sexy today. Yeah, I didn't listen to that garbage when I was young and I certainly don't want to listen to it for 3 hours while on vacation sitting on my balcony trying to enjoy the ocean. I'm glad I live out in the middle of nowhere. The more I'm in the city, the more I can't stand probably 75% of the people I encounter out in public, and not just the kids these days.

Well, now it's bedtime. I am typing this up on Monday so I hope I can get this posted so it's not too far behind.

Stay tuned for next time. Monday is going to be a bit of a rough day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Future reference, if you see any kids surf fishing, I'll bet they don't each have a fishing license! Maybe you could make a citizen's arrest, like Gomer Pyle. :clown:

Sec. 5-5. Regulations on recreational fishing from shore or pier.

a. It shall be unlawful for any person involved in attempting to catch or take, or catch or take any shark or other marine animals that may endanger the public from any fishing pier, or any beach, shore or any coastal waters where one may fish.

b. Any person(s) who baits, fish for, or otherwise attracts sharks or other marine animals that may indanger the public within one (1) mile of the beach or any coastal waters are in violation of this ordinance. All fishermen shall release at time of recognition any and all fish or other similar type animals that may pose any danger to any beach goers, sunbathers, swimmers or any other person where the fish or animal is caught. Any person(s) who surf fishes or fishing of any type from a pier or beach, at any time of the year, shall not fish in a manner that presents an unsafe condition to any beach goers, sun bathers, swimmers, or any other person and shall keep a safe distance from them.

c. Any person who surf fishes must obtain a valid South Carolina issued Surf Fishing License in accordance with South Carolina State Law. Local government jurisdiction extends to one (1) mile in the Atlantic Ocean and includes all beaches, swashes and piers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Not everyone knows how time-consuming it is do a live report that includes photos. It takes chunks out of your day or night that you sometimes don't think about when you start.

I really, really like the sand road sculpture design. It looks quite intricate! You might even see some remnants of it today.

One nice thing about Dayton House is the "backyard" and your shot shows it off beautifully.

I saw some girls shaking their butts in the open back of a big SUV just the other day. It looked like their parents were with them so I wondered "What in the world is this?" Here's a suggestion. Take a look at the parking lot when you have time. My guess is that it is owned by the City of MB, as most are. If it happens again, call the MB police Patrol Division: 843-918-1805. I wouldn't hesitate to make this call. After all, it's your vacation!

Loving your trip report!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:29 am 

Great report. Thanks for letting us tag along with you. Always great to read about MB. We are like you guys with the lunch thing. A sandwich and chips all you need before eating big at night.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 am 

Can I just say your trip report is WONDERFUL. I have tried in the past to do live trip reports and I just can’t find the time to keep up. Thank you for sharing and we all understand if you get behind. Just enjoy your vacay.

Shame on you and the lifeguard pic. As if we women don’t have anything better to do than keep an eye on you guys. :roll:

The north and south pics are amazing. The water looks beautiful. These are the pics that made my heart flutter just a little. I so miss Myrtle Beach!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 am 
Forum Support

So nice to hear of a young girl loving her hotwheels! That was me when I was young. In this day of technology, I didn't think kids let alone girls played with hotweels anymore. Oh and I think Ms Emma and I could be BFFs, I love UCP as well! :clown:

Keep up the amazing trip report. :hello: Pictures are beautiful :sunny:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:45 am 

Great trip so far!!! I always try to do a live trip report but it's never as awesome as yours!!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 pm 

awesome Awesome AWESOME report.Really enjoying it.

Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm 

Thanks for the kind words guys. Its fun to write, gives us something to remember the trip too.

Pelicans just went by for the 2nd time while we were at eye level on the 14th floor balcony. Both times my camera was inside and fogged immediately when I grabbed it. So far I've also missed the big coast guard choppers and a pair of military Apache choppers going by. As an RC flier, I love anything that flies by in the sky. I think it is time to just leave it out on the balcony unless I'm taking it somewhere.

It is tough finding time to write it up. I stayed up way roo late last night, I was the last one up this morning, lol. Its not actually the writing though, I run the pictures through my ancient copy of Lightroom for processing before uploading. I hope to get to the boardwalk this afternoon for dinner at the 2nd Ave Pier if they are up to it. Might have to drive up though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next