Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 1-14
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm 

June 1-14 Surfside, MB (as I always try to do, I write my trip reports and reviews are in Trip Advisor for attractions and restaurants) We own a condo in Surfside.

June 1, 2013

We left at 4 AM from CT and had a very smooth ride down. For the first time, we made it in 12 hours. No traffic, good weather and good gas mileage.
We met up with our new friends who moved down from CT 1 year ago and had a wonderful dinner at the Bonefish Grill. Great food and good price. We went back to our condo to wait for our friends who were coming in from NJ. They arrived around 9 and we chatted for several hours. Off to bed for a wonderful sleep in my comfortable bed.

June 2

We woke around 9 and leisurely planned our day. It was beautiful out with lots of sunshine so the beach was the natural choice. Myrtle Beach wasnt too crowded and it was low tide. The waves looked easy but once inside the water, we got pretty beat up. The waves and the pull from the receding waves are very deceiving. Before long, we were all burnt even though we sat under 2 umbrellas. The sun down here is very strong. Since we usually come in the off season or when its raining, this strong sun was a surprise!!
We left the beach and went to the condo to use the pool. Very refreshing to just lay around, read and float to cool off. Our condo is surrounded by water and its so sweet to see the baby swans, canada geese and turtles all around. For dinner, we went to Garden City and walked the pier. We were surprised by a school of stingrays swimming around the pier, up and around the waves. Too Cool! Image
We had dinner at Nalu's which was a pleasant surprise of fresh made fish, sandwiches and delicous homemade chips. Back to the condo around 9:30 to relax.

June 3

Rain, Rain, Rain, We relaxed all day. Went shopping a bit and then brought home a feast for dinner.

June 4

Much better day today. Our friends left at 5AM and we hung out for several hours trying to figure out what to do today. We were able to get a Dolphin Watch tour out of Crazy Sisters Marina at 11:30. It was overcast so I wasnt worried about the sun beating down on me. this turned out to be a big mistake. My whole face is now burnt beet red. Thank goodness i took a jacket and used it to cover my already sunburned legs. The dolphin watch is no longer called Capt Dicks but they still honored the coupons. We really lucked out and found several pods of dolphins. Though they were not in the mood to come near the boat, we still were able to observe quite a bit of action. It was pretty successful I think.Image

We ate lunch at the Marina's Restaurant i think called The Wicked Tuna and sat overlooking the water. It was a good choice since the Dead Dog Saloon was so crowded you couldnt get near the deck. So those of you who want a nice meal and a view, check this place out. Only 3 tables were occupied. Everyone just tends to gravitate to what is most popular and these little gems are everywhere if you just take chances.

We each took a bit of a long nap, woke up and went to the boardwalk to just walk and shop and do nothing. It wasnt too crowded, a country band was playing, lots of teenagers around but no problems that i could see and of course we made our obligatory purchase at my husband's favorite store the Gay Dolphin.
At home, we do not have cable so content ourselves with the antenna converted analog channels (only 3 choices) and watched Americas Got Talent for the first time. It was surprisingly good.

June 5

I am losing track of the days, the dates mean nothing. It was a muggy, cloudy day. We took it easy and it was probably good we didnt have sun since my sunburn is pretty bad. Even in that boat under the clouds i ended with more sunburn. Today, we shopped at the Hammock Shops and then went to Huntington State Park. We walked the causeway and counted 8 alligators, the most we have ever seen. The birds were pretty scarce though a few rare wood storks flew in very close and were fishing. Image Image
Later we headed out to Barefoot Landing, ( I think I should get this shopping obsession under control). On the way, We were surprised to see in the field where the zip lines are by the boardwalk, a very large what looked to be a brown eagle (probably a red tailed hawk, but very large) eating something dead. It was right by the edge, very close to the road.. We did a bit of shopping but took it slow and enjoyed the large fish and turtles. I really think the bridges over the ponds are in sorry shape. The railings are pathetically loose and very dangerous. It makes the whole place look run down.

June 6

Today was the beginning of the rains. We planned for a matinee movie at Broadway but first attended the Alien Encounters Exhibit. It was fun even if a bit cheesy. We had a coupon for $4 off so it was worth the $10. Really glad we didnt pay the full price. Image The boardwalk here is as nice as always. The bridges are in much better condition than at Barefoot and the place is easier to get around. We always enjoy going here.
Unfortunately, and always our luck that something at our place breaks and we need to scramble for repairs. This time its our dryer which is only 1.5 years old and has been used all of 12 times!!.. So aggrivating that it should break. It worked fine in Feb. when i used it last. So there go our plans for tomorrow with our friends as we wait for the repair man all day.
Dinner at home and a good movie on BounceTV.

June 7

Today, we waited for the repair man. Hours later i am still waiting. I sent my husband to the movies and although there is no rain, it is extremely windy from that tropical storm thats been talked about all week. still, the sun is out and I would have loved to do something other than waste my precious vacation time. Hopefully he comes soon.

This is my first part of vacation. Obviously had a lot of time on my hands so thought I would get a jump start. Try as i might to insert the pictures, i couldnt figure out how to do it so will put them up in my reviews on trip advisor. (my pics are in my picture folders in documents if anyone has the trick and can walk me through it.) Will follow up with another post in a few days. Enjoy.

Diane

Last edited by Hockeymom on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: June 1-14
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:53 pm 

Sounds like a great time so far!! I wish I could go for 2 weeks!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:05 pm 

Loving your report. Sounds like you are cramming as much as you can into every day. A girl after my own heart. We go as hard as we can and love every minute of it.

I hate to hear that Barefoot is looking run down. I will be checking that out in a few weeks. I have no desire to walk on bridges with railings that are not in good shape. There are gators in those waters :shock: You would think they would keep it in top shape with as many tourist that visit it each year

Can't wait to hear about your second week. Keep it coming!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:58 pm 

I am enjoying your vacation, as well...except for the waiting for the repairman report...We love Surfside...but will not be there until July 27...so I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:50 am 

You're waiting on the rain yesterday was our driving in non-stop rain for 12+ hours. Did you not see any rain at all? Oh, I see it rained on Thursday? They were talking all day on the Weather Channel about Florida and how it was suppose to move up the coast on Friday. I thought it was to hit in the early afternoon yesterday. I don't think I turned the wipers completely off our whole drive. It was dumping on us as we drove through Conway. I'm starting a trip report up here at the Dayton House as well as soon as I hit submit here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:12 pm 

Perfect way to start my week in rainy Upstate NY,reading a fantastic report.Thank you.

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

I've been fooling around in Flickr, trying to figure out how to get a picture from there to here. (From my server, I just link the photo's information between the IMG marks. )

But that doesn't seem to work with Flickr. I do not have an account there, but I have a friend who does. I know he won't mind if I use one of his photos.

This works, but it's a work-around and does not show the photo on this screen. (You have to click it.)

Once the picture is enlarged, copy information line at the top of the page from the top. (t will look like http://www.flickr.com/photos/your-name/followed by a bunch of numbers

Now click on URL from the row on top of the message box.
Two URL tags will show up.

Now insert the photo information you copied from the enlarged view of your Flickr photo in between the two URL tags. Do not leave any spaces.

It should look like this. (Well, I'm sure it will look much more beachy than this.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmygspics/8374860796/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

I have been enjoying your MB vacation. BTW, there is no way to overcome shopping urges when you're here. Believe me, I know from years of having to deal with this mental disorder myself. There are way too many shopping opportunities and outlet centers. So just give in to it like the locals do, and have fun!

Glad you are having a good time, and remember to put on sun screen, no matter what the forecast says. My friends and I always say you can tell the locals from the visitors because the locals don't get sunburned...and it's true!

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I know it is easier to think about it than really sit down and do it.

Continue to have fun and let us know what you've done!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:54 pm 

patrish wrote:
I've been fooling around in Flickr, trying to figure out how to get a picture from there to here. (From my server, I just link the photo's information between the IMG marks. )

But that doesn't seem to work with Flickr. I do not have an account there, but I have a friend who does. I know he won't mind if I use one of his photos.

This works, but it's a work-around and does not show the photo on this screen. (You have to click it.)

Once the picture is enlarged, copy information line at the top of the page from the top. (t will look like http://www.flickr.com/photos/your-name/followed by a bunch of numbers

Now click on URL from the row on top of the message box.
Two URL tags will show up.

Now insert the photo information you copied from the enlarged view of your Flickr photo in between the two URL tags. Do not leave any spaces.

It should look like this. (Well, I'm sure it will look much more beachy than this.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmygspics/8374860796/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Ron thanks for figuring this out. :beerchug:

You're in charge of Everything Photo, you know! :whip2:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:37 pm 

patrish wrote:
You're in charge of Everything Photo, you know! :whip2:

How much does it pay? :smash[1]:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I'll double your current income! :clown:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:31 pm 

I finally got it! Spent hours trying to figure out the pictures. now I can start to write the second part of my trip report. Thank you for your help

Diane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:51 pm 

So, to continue my report, it's been pretty busy
June 7 Afternoon:
Repairman came and its not the dryer but the plugged up vent. I am amazed at the politeness of the service people in SC. Maybe i shouldn't be but believe me, in CT you would not find a service tech trying to help out a lady doing things like climbing on ladders and walking around a condo building trying to find my vent. He even met a new neighbor and got them to turn on their dryer to check the venting. The vent apparently is the condo responsibility. He was just trying to give me my moneys worth out of him. I really appreciated it. We bought what he suggested and my poor husband tried for 2 hours to unplug the vent to no avail. No response from a call to the condo management either. Well, I refuse to let it ruin the rest of the day as the weather has cleared up beautifully.

We went with our friends who are now locals here, to Planet Hollywood for dinner and then to the new Legends for the show. So glad we did, They were fantastic. The dancers were incredible (if i had one tenth their energy,,,oh the possibilities!) And Elvis is still the King! Though I'm not sure when Justin Timberlake became a legend LOL. Would highly recommend a visit to Legends.

June 8

Today we went to La Belle Amie Winery for their monthly summer concert. $8 entry and you can sit all day listening to good music, sipping their wine and purchasing food from various local vendors. We brought our own chairs and found some shade. It was a hazy hot humid day but bearable under the tree. We sat and bopped to the music for a good 3 hours then went in the gift shop for a cold slushy and check out the gifts. Bought a bottle of their name brand and a wine bottle/glass holder you stick in the ground. Perfect for the next concert! A very nice comfortable and fun day for $5 (we got a discount because we brought canned goods for the local food bank)Image

We came home and took a much needed dip in the pool then got ready for dinner. We went to Carrabba's Italian Restaurant , under new management. It was crowded but no waiting because of the many tables. Very good food, good attentive staff and the new owner spent considerable time with us considering how busy they were. We would definately go here again.

June 9

We Got up early to get an early start to Savannah. I debated on putting this in my trip report since its not MB but it is a do-able side trip so here it is. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Bay St with a balcony view of the river. It is amazing how huge those tankers and cargo ships are.Image As they sailed by, it felt as if they towered over us and covered the entire view from the balcony. It was thrilling but strange feeling.
We did a tour with Olgothorpe which is a 90 min. bus tour. We enjoyed the squares and the old buildings, the beautiful iron work and the amazing trees with the spanish moss. We also enjoyed the history which was narrated by the bus driver. We passed by the line for Paula Dean's Restaurant. What a farce! First sign up for a time to come back, then at that time, come wait in a line that goes around the block. For what? A bad buffet that has poor reviews on Trip Advisor and no chance to meet the lady herself.Image
We had a much better dinner and no waiting at a couple of pretty special restaurants.

We later took the River Boat tour which was an hour long and narrated by the captain. We then took the little bicycle taxi over to the Davenport house and just made the last tour. I guess the poor kid thought we were a bit much for him since he popped his chain just as he started peddling. I felt horrible but he said it wasn't our fault. We gave him a nice tip since he did get us there in time. We never could have walked it in that oppressible heat. It was nice to see one of the most complete houses though the furnishings were not original but the essence was there.

We made it back for our pre-arranged dinner at Alligator Soul, an amazing restaurant. The food and atmosphere were wonderful and the service was excellent.

June 10

It pretty much poured all day. We went to the Oatland Island Wildlife Center but it was not nearly as nice as Huntington Beach or even Brookgreen Gardens. We then headed over to Bonaventure Cemetery, a maze of incomprehensible alleys, roadways with graves dating from early 1800's to 2000's all in the same plots. It made no sense to us but we explored anyway, running between raindrops and avoiding lightning/thunder. Image

We went back to the hotel to hopefully wait out the storm and use the pool. This was not to happen so we went to our next pre arranged dinner at Vic's on the River, had an amazing table right at the balcony window and watched the ships go by while eating an unusual but just OK meal. (both restaurant reservations were done by the hotel concierge). We did shop all up and down the River St. shops but the rain really put a damper on our evening. We went back to the hotel soaked and watched the most amazing sunset from the balcony. Image

June 11

Finally, No rain this morning so Started back home and did make a stop in Georgetown to, of course, shop. Not much there really but it is pretty and the homes are really old authentic. Many with the 2 floor style with 2 porches and the big pillars. Very nice architecture. The homes are mostly well kept with pretty, manicured lawns.

We made it back to Surfside about 4:oo, went to the pool to dunk and hang out for a while and met another one of our neighbors. ( I did get a call from the management finally, saying they will get someone out tomorrow to look at our plugged up dryer vent)

Its so nice just to relax at the pool. I am so busy during vacation I often forget that we are supposed to relax. I have to learn to ignore the thoughts that we are missing out on something if we don't do it all. Well, for the rest of the week, I am going to relax!

Diane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:57 pm 

What an enjoyable read. I love your wildlife pictures. I was glad you added your stint in Savannah. One of my favourite places we have visited and it brought back memories for me. You sound like you are having a great time and I hope it continues for you. Thanks so much for sharing.