Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 am 

Great trip report and pictures!! As we have yet to make it to the Boardwalk, I'm going to try to talk the family into Landshark vs. Margaritaville this year! And Sweet Carolina's is a must-try for us.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:47 am 

Janelle (now I know your name), thanks for sharing your photos. Really enjoyed looking at them. Great trip report and photos.
Judy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:56 am 

Sandy - I'd definitely recomment LandShark over Margaritaville! I think it has better food, more menu options and a great view of the ocean!

Judy - I realized last night that I didn't think I'd ever shared my name, it's more personable to think of people by name instead of just id! lol I will be in your area June 10th - family vacation at The Resort at Governor's Crossing! We loved it last year and decided to go back this year, too!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:44 am 

Great trip report! Pictures were fantastic,(especially the food shots, always my favorite).
What happened to the traditional "toes in the sand shot"?

Roger

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:33 pm 

missingthebeach wrote:
- Yeah soda pops are expensive down there. Not sure how much soda is in MI, but here in WI at any type of sit-down place its $2.25-$2.69. I guess thats why I normally stick with a water and lemon. :lol: I am frugal like that. :roll: That way I don't feel guilty about splurging on margaritas! :ac15[1]:

It's funny to hear opinions on price from all over. Here in western PA, a drink will run you $2.50-3.00 each person.

Other threads people talk about how restaurants are way more expensive at the Marsh Walk. There we found them pretty reasonable. In fact, it was dirt cheap to eat in Myrtle Beach compared to what we are use to. When we eat out at home it is a treat, we don't do it very often. Thus, I am looking for a decent steak. Steak down there in Myrtle? Are you kidding me? $15 for a Ribeye at a lot of places? So dirt cheap! I can't go to a restaurant for a steak without spending $21 at least for myself. We ate at Creek Ratz and it was $57. That was 2 shrimp dinners with that, easily a $70 meal at home with non-fresh shrimp.

Shrimp? That's what I am looking for every night in MB. Shrimp basket for $10? Even $15 at the "expensive" places? I can't get a shrimp dinner for under $18 and it would be garbage shrimp for that.

Would like to check out Sweet Carolinas. Looking at their menu, $15.99 for a BBQ plate? WOW! I'm there! LOL. Sweet Carolinas if it were near me would be an $80 bill for my family of 4, and that is with the youngest getting her usual kid's meal chicken fingers. I'm guessing down there in MB we would get out of there definitely under $50, perhaps even $40.

Creek Ratz mentioned above was the expensive meal. Most of the week when we were there was $40/meal. Every one of those meals would have been at least $70 at home. I ate shrimp dinners for every meal I think and my wife ate quite a few shrimp dinners herself.

Since we don't eat out and my wife makes everything from scratch along with we raise our own beef and sometimes chicken with mostly organic everything else, we feel we are a bit of food connoisseurs. In fact, other than MB (everything we ate was excellent) and time we've stopped or gone to a "recommended excellent" reviewed restaurant while traveling, we've been horribly disappointed. Stopped at "the best BBQ" in Lexington, SC area on our way down and my wife makes better pulled pork in a crock pot. I definitely make better smoked BBQ in my smoker than that was, but all over the internet was proclaiming that place the best around. I had better BBQ in a chain restaurant here far away from BBQ country.

Will have to try to make it to Sweet Carolina though, we didn't have a bad meal anywhere in the Grand Strand in 2011.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:32 pm 

RogInVa wrote:
Great trip report! Pictures were fantastic,(especially the food shots, always my favorite).
What happened to the traditional "toes in the sand shot"?

Roger

haa haa...I figured I'd shared enough feet photos here, but on request...I've added 4 to the album! lol You can see the sea turtle airbrush tattoo I got at BATB - only $10! lol :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:38 pm 

Thanks for the fabulous trip report...almost done with school for the year so I can really start thinking about our August trip! Reports help set the mood! :sunny:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Wonderful trip report! I loved following you around, and really enjoyed your photo album!

You posted this as we were starting a long Memorial Weekend trip to Washington DC, and this is the first chance I've had to spend a little more time with the photos. So glad you had such a good time. (I would write a letter of complaint about your room)

Thanks again for taking time to write this in-depth review!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:57 am 

Hey MiCountrygal!

Quote:
Thursday thru Saturday ~
Up with the sun and headed out. Drove to Mooresville, NC to visit and have lunch with some friends and then headed out. Made it to Mineral Wells, WVa for the night. Then Friday we drove up to Berlin/Walnut Creek, Ohio - spent the day shopping and stayed at the Berlin Grande (gorgeous hotel!) for the night. Saturday we finished the drive home.

My neck of the woods...about 20-25 minutes from my house. I know all the places down there. :wav:

Sounds like you had a good time. So cool about the turtles...nice find. Sounds like LongBay is going down fast, I've heard other similar reports.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994