Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:58 pm 

Whew...home from another wonderful vacation in Myrtle Beach!

Friday ~
Again this year, it's my best friend and myself in a 3 bedroom condo in the Savoy Building. Checked in at 3pm on Friday the 17th with no issues, short line at the desk! We were booked into room 501 in the Savoy Building - the shorter building in front of the main tower -- we usually stay here because I hate parking decks and I love that the rooms are close to the ocean. I had stayed in this room 2 May's ago on a family vacation - it has gotten rough looking. Dingy bathrooms, sticky fridge and stove, dead palmetto bugs in the kitchen, broken ice maker in the freezer (again this year! lol) and it didn't look like the bedrooms had been dusted in a long while. There was a note on each of the beds stating the housekeeping rules had changed and were limited to - changing sheets every 3 days, and removing trash and dirty towels, replacing towels and vacuuming each day. Now we had problems with housekeeping - sheets were not changed the entire stay, room was not vacuumed at all, etc. I did share my issues and concerns with the front desk two days and on the day before we checked out, there was a housekeeping manager that stopped after our room was cleaned to see if it was sufficient, and of course that day it was! lol

Friday night we met up with some friends at the House of Blues for the Jamey Johnson concert. We all had the best time! Lots of great music. First time I'd been to the HofB and it was a nice venue.

Saturday ~
Up early for a gorgeous sunrise!! :sunny: Then drove down to the boardwalk area to meet up with my friends again. Parking near the Skywheel was $14 for two hours. We got tickets to ride the SkyWheel - $13 adults. First time riding this - holy cow was it neat! It was a pretty clear day and we could see a long ways. Really fun and we decided on that ride we had to do it at night, too! lol My friends had to head back to the Charlotte area - so the rest of the week it was just back to the two of us.

We were ready for lunch and had just under an hour left on the meter so decided to have lunch at the Landshark. YUM! I had the Cuban sandwich and fries and it was really good. We also had the queso and chips app -- very, very good and a good amount of chips! Way better than like Applebee's! lol We also got blender drinks, and got suckered into the cutesy blender cups! I had the Port of Call - very refreshing! Lunch was about $30 - but $7 of that was for the reusable cup.

After that, we headed back to the hotel and spent the rest of the afternoon in the pool! Supper was Ultimate California Pizza -- yum, yum! We usually order it the first night, but we were late getting home from the concert and they were closed...lol. I still think this is the best pizza anywhere!

While in the condo Saturday night, I was checking Facebook and saw that N.E.S.T (Network for Endangered Sea Turtles) out of Kitty Hawk, NC posted about a sea turtle release on Oak Island, NC. I google mapped it and saw it was just over an hour north of MB and we decided to drive up to watch. I love sea turtles - and have wanted to be a "turtle lady" since reading Mary Alice Monroe's "The Beach House" back 5 or 6 years ago. I've been to Jekyll Island to the Georgia Sea Turtle Center and did a nest excavation, but haven't seen the turtles in the wild. Went to sleep super excited for a new adventure in the morning!

Sunday ~
Kind of a cloudy, rainy morning - no sunrise. But we headed north to Oak Island for the release. What an incredible thing to be able to take part in! There were 6 turtles that were released - they had been cold stunned last fall in the OBX and the water up there still wasn't warm enough to release them there, so they made arrangements with the Oak Island volunteers to do it there. There were 2 large turtles, over 40lbs and 4 smaller ones. It was just amazing to see - the turtles were calm, until they picked up the scent of the water and then they were flapping their flippers all over just so anxious to get back "home". So glad I saw that announcement and we were close enough to see it!

Drove back to MB and was starving, so we went to Burro Loco...mmm mmm mmmm! I wait all year to get the Polo Grande and a raspberry margarita! Super good chips and salsa, too. Cost was $19.74

Back to the condo for some more pool time and UCP leftovers.

Monday ~
No sunrise again today - but went down to the beach at day light to collect some shells for my 2 nephews and myself - wow, so few shells this year and no whole ones. But there wasn't any jellyfish for the first time in a few years, so that was nice. Enjoyed the morning walk and stopped at the Starbucks in the Long Bay for breakfast.

Headed out to Broadway at the Beach for some shopping, dodging rain drops the whole time. We walked by Sweet Carolina's and it smelled amazing! We had plans to drive down to Murrell's Inlet for lunch at CreekRatz, so we decided to head out but put Sweet Carolina's on the list to try!

Love the hushpuppies at CreekRatz - and had a nice lunch. I tried the nachos this year - wasn't hungry for the usual burger or chicken; kind of disappointed in the meal, I didn't care for the chili on the nachos. But the view is great and everyone is so friendly there. We always have a great time! Nachos and a pop were $13.10; $2.50 for a drink - pretty expensive for pop!

After lunch, we stopped at the Lazy Gator and did some damage to the credit card! lol I found some awesome gifts for my SIL's bday and an anniversary gift for her and my brother. And I got a cute sea turtle photoframe and a new pop for my Kameleon ring. http://kameleonjewelry.com/

Done shopping, we headed back to the hotel to relax and swim more. It was 7pm and we decided we were going to go back and try Sweet Carolina's bbq. OMGosh - it smelled good and tasted even better! But GO EARLY! We got there and they were already sold out of 3 main menu items. After you order, they bring out a "loaf" of cornbread and butter. Yummy! I ordered the 2 meat combo - had the pulled pork and bbq wings, it also came with a salad, one side and a single hushpuppy (which was tasty and had peppers in it, wish we got more!). They have 3 sauces on the table you can use - original (which was good, kind of tomato-y to me), sweet (which I LOVED, like Sweet Baby Ray's), and vinegar (which I didn't try because I know I don't care for that type). Everything was very, very good! Good service, too. My bill was $21.70 (again, $2.49 for a pop!)

Tuesday ~
Woke up to the sun shining and blue skies! Went down to the pool and had about 15 lovely minutes of sun, before the rains rolled in again! lol

Waited it out a while, but it was still raining, so we headed back up to change and walked over to the River City Café for lunch. Love this place - and so glad we can just walk over for lunch! I had a grilled ham and cheese w/fries and a Grape Ape mixed drink - total was $14.77 - funny when your drink is only $.88 less than the meal! lol Ok - I complained last year about no peanuts on the tables. Noticed this year, as you walk in there are boxes and boxes of peanuts and a sign saying help yourself - there are fry containers on a shelf and you can get them. Yay - the peanuts are back! :hello: lol

Hung around the condo a while after lunch, still cloudy and drizzly - but it was clearing. I wanted to find Myrtle Manor and we decided to drive over and check it out. Thankfully, it stopped raining when we were driving! Found it real easy, 17 Ave N off Ocean Blvd and turn left at the stop, it's just down on the right. We saw Becky as we drove in and she waved. Their trailer is right up front for selling their swag. We stopped because I wanted one of the blingy pink cups, but they were sold out. Lots of items sold out during Bike Week they said. I got a pack of 5 postcards with cute sayings and trailers for $5. Becky was real nice, as were the 2 guys at the trailer. We got our picture made with her, too. Then drove thru the park. I loved Miss Anne's trailer - all pink flamingos, and we saw Taylor, Chelsea and Amanda at his trailer. We stopped at the pool area to take some pictures and saw Jared drive out. We were going to walk over to see the others, but then a car drove in and a couple guys got out to talk with them - figured we'd be bothering them so we didn't stop there. I did get my picture at Tangulls, too! lol It was something fun to do, and I really still can't believe they just let you drive thru and take photos.

After that fun, we decided since it was a clear night we wanted to go back and ride the SkyWheel at dark. Drove back and parked again next to it, only cost $12 for two hours this time, it must be more expensive on the weekends. Had supper at the LandShark again - lol, when we find something we like, we stick to it! I had a grilled chicken sandwich w/fries, another Port of Call Cooler and key lime pie. We had the chips and queso again. Total cost was $35.76 -- of course, we didn't think to take our refillable blender cups, lol, so we paid full price for drinks.

The SkyWheel at night is really neat! There was a long line this time - on Saturday, we got right on. You can't see as far at night, but the lights are amazing! The wheel itself is always changing color, and then all the lights are just so pretty to see. I'd definitely recommend riding both times!

Wednesday ~
Always the saddest day at the beach...our last full day. And it was the most perfect beach day! We started at the pool, swam and lounged most of the morning. Walked over to the River City Café for lunch - a burger and fries and a Coors Light was $12.81 and totally hit the spot!

Spent the afternoon on the beach, playing in the waves - the water was pretty cool, but not too cold. Just really enjoyed the day. Headed up to the condo about 4ish and tried to decide were to have our last night meal. We decided to head back to Sweet Carolina's! We got there about 5pm and again they were running out of menu items. I got the last bbq chicken breast/leg and also had the pulled pork again. Gosh, its just really good! lol Cost was $21.70.

Back to watch the sunset at the beach and packed up to head out in the morning.

Thursday thru Saturday ~
Up with the sun and headed out. Drove to Mooresville, NC to visit and have lunch with some friends and then headed out. Made it to Mineral Wells, WVa for the night. Then Friday we drove up to Berlin/Walnut Creek, Ohio - spent the day shopping and stayed at the Berlin Grande (gorgeous hotel!) for the night. Saturday we finished the drive home.

We're pretty laid back people while on vacation. Have our usual spots we like to hit up to eat and shop, and spend lots of time on the beach! It's been a really cool, really late spring up here in MI - in fact, we had snow the week before we left! It's good to get down there and soak up some sun and get ready for the summer!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:59 pm 

I have photos to share, but can't get Photobucket to upload tonight - sorry, but will post as soon as I can!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:00 pm 

Thanks for the report. Was in dire need of a new one being posted. :notworthy:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 am 

Great trip report, thank you so much. Makes me want to be at the beach even more. I cannot wait to try Sweet Carolina's for barbecue this fall. I admire you for making the best of the bad weather. It sounds as if you turned every day into a special one.
Judy

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:54 pm 

Had a blast reading your report.Your enthusiasm is fantastic.
Thanks for posting.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:55 pm 

Micountrygal, I always look forward to your trip reports! Thanks for posting! Sounds like y'all had a great time!
:nanner: :nanner: :nanner:
Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:53 pm 

Thank you!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! You are like us, if we find a place we like to eat, we frequent it time and time again! Thanks for taking the time to share!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:54 pm 

Great report!! Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for posting.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:16 pm 

A great report and I thoroughly enjoyed tagging along. Watching the turtle release sounded like a really neat experience. Glad to hear the good review of Sweet Carolina's BBQ. It's on the list for our next trip. Going with a girlfriend sounds like something I need to put on the bucket list. Lol Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 pm 
Forum Support

Thanks for the report!

- Awesome that you went to Myrtle Manor. Even better that some of the cast was there! Last summer I went to the American Pickers place in Iowa. While that was a cool experience, it would have been more special if someone from the show was there. Otherwise I must admit it felt like a tourist trap to me. :roll:

- Sweet Carolina's BBQ glad to read a positive review! I am so going to try that the next time I am in MB!

- Having a Starbucks and a River City in walking distance is just the best isn't it?

- Yeah soda pops are expensive down there. Not sure how much soda is in MI, but here in WI at any type of sit-down place its $2.25-$2.69. I guess thats why I normally stick with a water and lemon. :lol: I am frugal like that. :roll: That way I don't feel guilty about splurging on margaritas! :ac15[1]:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:55 pm 

LOVED your trip report and can't wait for the pics. I am so glad it is FINALLY trip report season. :nanner:

You are the first person on the board to mention Kameleon jewelery. There are several places in MB that sell it. My mom, cousin and I discovered this little luxury last year. I get compliments on my ring all the time. Can't wait to purchase another pop in July :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:15 pm 

Glad ya'll are enjoying the report! Here is a link to some photos: http://myrtlebeachmemories.shutterfly.com/pictures/301

Deanna - I got my ring at the Lazy Gator last May! I've gotten pops on each vacation I've taken since then - it's a neat memento from my trips. I get a lot of complements on mine, too - and I've just got a plain one. It's expensive, but so pretty! I also have a Lotti Dotties ring which is similar, but a lot less expensive - but it's not help up as nice either.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:03 am 

What a great trip report! Loved the pictures... especially of the sea turtles. What an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing with us!

Scott

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:37 am 

Great pictures!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 am 

Thanks for posting a trip report. Your pictures are awesome! Thanks for posting them too!
Angela