Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:49 pm 

LOL Lisa!! Yeah, Paul would freak if he knew I called metal detecting "geeky".

Here is the snake pic...We have had black snakes before but never this kind. He was in the back corner of our shed on the rafter! Anyone know what kind it is?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:53 pm 

Looks like a yellow rat snakes because of it's long stripes. Keeps away the MEESES!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm 

Oh my stars I hope you killed it! If not he may be in your bed when you back :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Just in case you want to know more about SC snakes......I think I read somewhere that of all the poisonous snakes in the entire US, SC is the only state that has them all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sn ... h_Carolina

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Lovely shot of the ocean! I'm enjoying you report and especially the pictures!

Wally and I talked about getting a metal detector many times, but like the golf cart, we keep putting it off because we don't think we would get our money's worth out of them. But I see people with them all the time at the beach (the metal detectors, not the golf carts) and they seem to be having a good time, looking for treasures!

Loving your trip report, Emmy!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 pm 

Oh Emmy what a great trip report. We need some rays of sunshine (that's you) to brighten this dismal week. Your garden looks beautiful. Sounds like you had a good balance between work and play. As always an excellent trip report. Looking forward to more.

Judy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:44 am 

Geez, Patrish. Thanks for the tidbit of information about snakes. Now I'll be freaking out my entire vacation. No "cheers" to you!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:04 am 

That snake wouldn't hurt you, Emmy. Even with rattlers, they are more afraid of you then you are of them. It's the leave them alone and they'll leave you alone philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

:off-topic: Sorry...but most people get bit when messing around with them and provoking them/thinking they could handle them for some idiotic reason or stepping on them accidentally, ie, in a woodpile, etc. You're more likely to get bit by a spider...(which are evil, yes give me a snake any day!) or bees, wasps! Each state, except Alaska and Hawaii has at least one venomous snake. SC has 4 rattlers, there are actually 32 species, but the US only has 20 venomous species of snakes.

http://www.venombyte.com/venom/snakes/venomous_snakes_by_state.asp

Sorry to hijack your post....I'm guessing he didn't spook you too much as you took an awesome picture as were your other photos!! Awesome.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:56 am 

Again, thank you all for the kind words and the attentive "listening" to my ramblings :geek:

I agree Lisa, we just let the snakes be. They obviously are keeping the rodent population down (haven't seen a mouse/field rat ever) and they leave when we get there.

Now Thursday morning when we got up it was very overcast. We had finished all our laboring and were pretty much free. We were going to ditch the beach and do something touristy but hey you know us...no way. So we headed over to Cherry Grove and lo and behold within the hour the sun was shining and temps warmed nicely. We spent the better part of the day just enjoying God's creations of the wind, water, and sun. In our opinion nothing is greater!
I have to be honest for the life of me I can not remember if we did anything special on Thursday other than the beach. I even called Paul to ask him what we did and he said something to the effect of...
"Didn't we eat pizza or something?"
"No, dear that was like Tues. and I am not asking what we ate I am asking if we went anywhere."
"Oh yeah, that's right, I have no clue what we did. I'll call you later if I remember."
Great.
So on that note... I am posting a pic of the treasures we found this trip (Ron baby, these are for you :wink: ). I was super excited to be able to find the all illusive mini scallop shells I adore. I am telling you people these babies are TOUGH to locate. They just always seem to break up before the shore as they are so fragile. And yes, the little snail shells were indeed empty and hollow. We wouldn't have taken them if they were alive! So without further ado...

Now if you look at the top row around 5th in is a piece of coral. It is completely flat on the back and I asked my darling husband to please make a ring out of it for me (yeah, he can make jewelry too)! Wouldn't that be cool?? It's a perfect size and in excellent condition. So those are all the little fun surprises we found.

For dinner that evening we went to Carrabba's. Yes, I know it's a chain but we don't have them here in our area and we love their food. I adore that they serve olive oil and herbs to dip the bread in as that is what we do here in our home. Italians very rarely eat butter (weird I know) they put EVOO on everything :tongue3: . The meal was great as usual and after dinner we walked off, or at least tried to, the extra calories. Love me some Cherry Grove beach at night!!

Friday we woke to some strong storms but that was fine with us as we had planned to spend the day with our Realtor looking at a bit larger home. As most of you know we have been planning to move down for some time and Paul will have his 30 years with the local government this Sept. so it looks like maybe (God willing) next spring could be it. I love where we are now but we would have to add on a bit so we are weighing our options to see if it would just make more sense to buy a slightly bigger home or just expand what we have. Anyhoo, we spent the day with our buddy Tom and saw what was out there. After Tom dropped us off we went to the Shack in Cherry Grove for lunch (see review above) and loved it. If you are ever in the Cherry Grove NMB area please try this place for ome really yummy southern food. They have everything from collards to chicken bog...excellent.

After lunch we decided to do a bit of shopping. There is a new store in Little River by Coquina Harbor called "Sea Island Trading Company". It had the most beautiful jewelry, Vera Bradleys, clothes etc. for women. I could of bought every item in that store. It was so lovely. I tried to find a homepage for them but could so here is their FB page. Ladies seriously take note of this place; just lovely
https://www.facebook.com/SeaIslandTrading?fref=ts

Dinner that evening was California Dreaming. Review here viewtopic.php?f=53&t=11940&p=99890#p99890

It was another great day!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:13 am 

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 am 

Wow...what a haul! I think I've found ONE in my lifetime. The shells are beautiful, too. I bet you were tickled pink! That photo of the ocean/beach with the shells should be on the cover of a travel brochure! Beautiful!

Glad your snakes are doing the job God intended! :notworthy: Did you find any properties that looked interesting? Moving in a year sounds so exciting. I think my heart jumped a beat!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:23 am 

Nice collection Emmy, you even got a baby Tiger Shark tooth and some have a lot of
gum :)

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 am 

gary2beach wrote:
Nice collection Emmy, you even got a baby Tiger Shark tooth and some have a lot of
gum :)

Gary

Thanks Gary! We haven't a clue what the heck kind they are :dontknow: . We see them and we pick them up...that's the extent of our knowledge :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 pm 

Saturday was our last day and this is always so darn bittersweet for me. We try and suck every last drop of the day and go about with a definite "carpe diem" attitude! We knew the beach would be a bit more crowded today as it was the weekend so we got there super early and set up camp. We just "beached it" for about 6 hours straight...heaven :sunny:

We headed back to the house and packed up a bit. We went to 5:00 mass at our Lady Star of the Sea church and it was so lovely. This church is so beautiful. After we came out we were going to try Benitos pizza and pasta. Well, that lasted all of about 5 seconds. We walked in and were seated. Looked around and the people seated near us had gotten their main course which looked like an Alfredo and hadn't even finished their salads. They were distressed by the rush of the main course we could tell and the Alfredo sat there and congealed. Paul and I looked at each other and said "let's go" and we did. We hadn't even had anyone come over as of then. So what now? It's almost 6:30 so we headed back to Carrabbas BUT we got to sit at the counter and watch them cook! It was such a BLAST! They gave us free samples throughout and it was amazing to see the chef's cook/grill/saute in front of you. If you ever get the chance ask for a seat at the chefs counter there; you'll love it!!

Now, we head to the ocean for the last time this trip. Not a good move. I start to cray because we saw a rainbow
It was so pretty and I just became so weepy. Paul then informed me, as he does every trip, that it really isn't good to take me to the beach on our last night...My hysteria makes people stare!! Whatever!

He drags me away at this point and I seem to calm down. UNTIL we get home and have to finish packing...Needless to say my poor husband did more consoling than packing. We did manage to get the car packed and tried to get a few hours of sleep.

The ride back to NY was quick and uneventful 11 1/2 hours which is super time for us! It was an amazing trip and we were truly blessed by all we got to do and see. Thanks for coming along! We really need to do one giant huge meetup one day so we can all see in person the people that mean so much to us here on our board!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 pm 

Emmy,

I LOVED your report. Thank you for sharing. I am so sorry you had to go home. My heart hurts too when we start packing up. The morning we leave and I go out and take my last look I always say a little prayer that God will allow us to come back and all be together. I am getting teary eyed so on to happier things :cry:

I cannot believe that you found that many teeth. I feel like a big dummy. I need some expert training. It is now a bucket list item to find a sharks tooth.

I agree hopefully someday we can have a huge meeting up. It almost sounds impossible, but we can hope :lol: