Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 am 

We are back from a wonderful sun filled warm week at the beach!! It was glorious and I hate to say it but I want to go back NOW!! We had to open the house for the season so we didn't didn't beach it too much...YEAH RIGHT!! We were at the beach every single day but one :hello: :hello: .

So without further fluff let's begin...
We left NY at about 3:15 Sunday morning and arrived in Longs about 2:45. Excellent uneventful trip. Really a pleasure. The first thing I noticed when we pulled in to the drive was that I was way overdressed. I had jeans, sweater, socks, and leather clogs. They all went into the back of the closet and didn't reappear until we had to leave. The weather was so beautiful! Paul primed the pump and the water came right on! That is always our biggest worry but it was a breeze and we had aqua! We did a quick vacuuming, dusting, wiping counters etc. and the house was done!!
Now, those of you who know us and follow our reports can guess where we ate the first night...Yup, Ryan's for our fried chicken fix. It was OK this time and I honestly think we may need to rethink our first night agenda. After Ryan's we drove to the beach and saw our beloved Atlantic Ocean for the first time in 2013. Just glorious. We then headed to Boulineau's for the essentials and headed home. We called it a night and dreamed of tomorrow...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 am 

Please understand this is not your typical trip report. We did not do a whole lot of sightseeing or traveling about. It was basically a work on the house trip. We did get some great days on the beach and ate some yummy food. Just wanted to prepare you...

Monday dawned bright and clear. We knew we had a ton of work to do outside but we tackled some big projects inside first. I won't bore you with the details but we finished up in record time and headed out to the shore. The day was great and the sun shone. It had been a while since we had actually felt the warmth of the sun on our bodies and it was marvelous. We spent the whole day reading, relaxing, and finding shells/teeth; yup "beachin it". Of course we didn't go in the ocean because, well basically it was 57 degrees and FREEZING. Though there were people swimming :dontknow: . We just put our feet in and they instantly curled and screamed in protest. We stayed about 4 hours and then headed back home to shower and dress for dinner.

For dinner that night we had wanted to try Goodfellas Seafood Hut. Please see reviews and pics here...
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14259

After dinner we went and walked down Main St. in NMB. We stopped outside of the Sugar Shack ice cream shop where this amazing bluesy guitar/singer was performing. Man, could this gentleman play and sing. We sat there for over an hour just listening and chatting with hime. He went by the name of "Doc" and if you ever see this fellow playing there stop and take a listen; you will not be disappointed. He sang everything from the Allman Brothers to country/blues...so good!

The street was rather quiet but it was just so good to be back. The sight of the palm trees and hearing the ocean just set our minds at ease.
Main/Ocean at night

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 am 

So psyched to read the FIRST Summer trip report ! (yeah, I'm calling it SUMMER !) :nanner:

So happy for you and Paul ! Off to close my eyes and remember the sand, the breeze, hear the roar....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:06 am 

Its about time a trip report came in. Long over due for a new one. Hope it is followed by many more in the coming months. Thanks for sharing. :notworthy:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 am 
Forum Support

Nice job Emmy! Looks like you found a nice balance of work and play. :ac15[1]: Thanks for doing the report!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:25 am 

YAY!!!! An Emmy trip report!!!! :ac15[1]: :nanner: :hello: :wav: Can't wait to read the rest of it! :lol:

Glad y'all had a great time, Emmy! Since I knew the weather had been so bad for y'all up north, I put in a special request with the Man upstairs that y'all would have warm, sunny weather! Glad He answered my prayers! :sunny:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 pm 

Emmy,you made my Monday.
Love your reports and I can't wait to read more. I think I'm even getting the itch to order more pumpkin seeds,thanks to your report :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 pm 

Yeah, Emmy. Keep it coming! Sounds like a good time so far.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:38 pm 

Your report sure brightened up our dreary, gloomy Ohio evening...thanks so much Emmy! The pics were were great and made me think of much warmer temps than we have here right now...we had one day in the 70's last week...now it is back to the 50's...some spring...can't wait to hear more! Even working on your house sounds better at the beach...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Wonderful trip report, Emmy. I am so sorry that I had to be away when you were here. Hopefully the next time you come, I'll get to spend some time with you.

Love the photos, the report....everything! Looking forward to MORE! (There IS more...right?)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:38 am 

I actually feel bad writing about a lovely vacation when there is so much sadness and hurt in the Boston area. Our thoughts and prayers are with them all!

I also want to thank you all so much for reading along. It is good to know people actually like to read what you've written! The MB family here on the board is the best anyone could ask for!

Tuesday was another glorious day and we did our outside chores at this point. Everything was in full bloom in Carolina and so beautiful. In NY we had left small piles of dirty snow so seeing everything so green and lush was amazing. Our Azaleas and Wisteria were at their peak. Now, I have a "thing" for Wisteria. I feel it is the prettiest most romantic southern flower their is. It evokes memories of the old south for me and the perfume it gives off is staggering. I stood sniffing the bush in our front yard for long periods of time until Paul told me to knock it off as people were slowing down their cars to stare at me and he even believed some had taken photos...Whatever! It was so worth it :wink: .
A new snake again appeared in our shed; in the rafters, but was gone by the afternoon when we checked back. It didn't appear again for the duration of the trip so that's always a good thing!

Azaleas in our yard

Wisteria

We headed to the beach again after all was done and it was so warm and sunny :wav: . The beach was in full swing too. Many people were sunbathing/relaxing as well as parasailing, riding the banana boat , and the Sea Screamer. Oh yeah by the way, I want the dudes job that sits listening to Bob Marley on the beach and signs people up for these excursions. His stress level appeared to be about zero. How hard can it be to sit by the ocean, hang with people drinking out of "red Solo cups", and listen to reggae?? Yup that is what I am aspiring to be when we move down :rastanana: The sharks teeth were in abundance because low tide was early in the day and the beaches don't seem to be cleaned on a regular basis this time of year. I will post a pic later in the report of our found treasures.
After a full day of sun we headed home for dinner.

There is a new Pizza Buffet in NMB called Sir Pizza. I think familys will enjoy this place for its price and value. Review here viewtopic.php?f=52&t=14262

After dinner we headed to WalMart which as we all know is an adventure in its self. We needed a few extras so it worked out well. We are fans of the TV show Hell's Kitchen and Tues. night it's on so we headed home early to catch our weekly episode. It was a good day!

Wednesday again was an outside chore day. Now, we do have someone maintain our grounds but there are so many little extras that need to be done. So after again weeding, raking, and mucking (our gully on the side of the house wasn't flowing :dontknow: we were done.

Here is our backfield in the morning mist. Can you smell that Carolina smell?

We knew we would be eating at Giant Crab buffet that evening so we decided to get breakfast out as we would be skipping lunch. We went to the Shack in Cherry Grove. Review here
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14263

The beach again beckoned and we obeyed. The sun was stronger than we had realized and we were both sporting a bit of a Lobsterish hue. We again slathered 30SPF on our northern sun deprived bodies and laid back. We walked by my future employment area of the beach again and if possible the dude was even more relaxed looking than the day before. Yeah buddy come spend a day in the Big Apple and we'll see how laid back you are. Sorry, I deviated for a minute there into a jealous rant :mrgreen: We were midweek of our vacation so we were really getting a good dose of vitamin D and all was well.

Dinner that night was Giant Crab. Again we always eat here and never have any complaints. The food was hot, crab legs plentiful. After dinner we decided to metal detect the beach. Yes folks, Paul owns a metal detector. My guitar playing, Harley riding, Woodstock loving husband is a metal detector waving geek!! It was a lot of fun and you actually meet and talk to a lot of different people while wielding one of these gadgets. We didn't find much just two quarters but it was beautiful night on the ocean and we had tons of fun and made some great memories!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 am 
Forum Support

Its nice to have something "happy" to think about Emmy, if only for a few minutes. I put the TV on mute and just transported myself to the beach. :sunny:

Beautiful flowers/plants. We hit 65 here on Monday, but back down to the low 40s today. So it will be awhile before I see that kind of beauty.

I'll fight you for the sea screamer job! :geek: I wonder how many more job like that (zero stress) can be found in the MB area? :drinkin:

Ah yes the good ol metal detector. Those always look to be so much fun. Memories to be made for sure. What is the biggest/memorable find for you both?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 pm 

"the beaches don't seem to be cleaned on a regular basis this time of year"

THATS why I have never found any sharks teeth.We come mid-late August.They're all cleaned
off of the beach.Yeahhhh,thats why :dontknow:

Having a blast reading your report,Emmy.Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:26 pm 

The photos absolutely make the trip report. I feel like we're there with you guys!

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:00 pm 

Love this, Emmy! What a nice report. Tell Paul that metal detectors are VERY manly and not geeky at all! Carpenters and construction workers (aka my DH) use them all the time to find nails and other crap they've dropped and we ALL know how "ungeeky" construction workers are!! :nanner: :nanner: I wonder what kind of snake you had. I like snakes, I'm so not like a girl that way!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994