Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christmas Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am 

We have family in Myrtle so we are here all the time. Came down on 12/27 and avoided the bad weather on the 26th. So glad we waited a day. Arrived in Myrtle around 12:30. Did a quick grocery stop at Food Lion, unpacked, and then a walk on the beach. Stopped by Liberty Tap Room for appetizers/happy hour - steamed shrimp, blue cheese chips and $5 martinie. This place has one of the best happy hours around! Finished unpacking and went up to Barefoot Landing. Disappointed that the shops closed so early. Only went to a few before 7:00 and it was lights out! Shared a dinner at Greg Norman's and a nice glass of wine. The restaurant was decorated very nicely for the season. The food, as always, was very good.

The 28th went to the Outlets on 501. Got some great deals at the Lenox Outlet (Christmas presents for next yeear - I shop all year round). Had a late lunch at Liberty Tap Room - Cobb Salad, Burgers, regular lunch stuff. Very good. Had dinner at home and then went to Fat Harold's for some shag music. Our last visit to Fat Harold's was not good (someone died on the dance floor). No drama this time. Good band playing and the place was packed. Although this is an older crowd (average age I would estimate is mid to late 50's), we enjoy it every now and then.

The 29th more shopping - Outlets on 17. Spent a good bit of time here and also some good deals (especially on boots). Had lunch at Callie Baker's Fire House. Only meal I was unimpressed with durng our trip. It was mediocore bar food. Okay spot for drinks and football, but not for food. Went to Belks and didn't find much, so back home for the afternoon. Took a walk on the beach and found a few nice shells. We had no reservation, but wanted to try Bliss. We were able to get a bar seat, which was fine. First: The food here is very good, the wine list is a little overpriced, and the service is not great. Our waitress/bartender had way too much to handle. She forgot our appetizers, offered to comp dessert, and then did not take it off our bill. Not sure what happened, but one patron was very angry with her and walked out. A very good risotto stuff in a small pumpkin with lobster meat. Seafood risotto also good. They need to work on their service a little. Went to Dead Dog - first visit since they reopened after fire. They did a nice job on the place. However, the outdoor deck was fully enclosed due to the cold weather. We wanted to see the band - and they sounded good. However, they were still allowing people to smoke and it was horrible!!! I would say 80 percent of the people smoked and there was nowhere for the smoke to go. Stayed about 30 minutes and left.

The 30th is my mom's birthday so she did all the picks for today. Went to the flea market in Surfside. Over to Belks at Coastal Grand Mall. Better selection here and found a few nice buys. Lunch at Sticky Fingers - Always good. We went to Castano's in Barefoot for dinner. This place is also fairly new and also expensive (think Ruth Chris). However, I will say we had excellent service, great wine list and the food was excellent. We had veal parmesan (not on the menu but the chef offered to make it), scallops and a steak (cooked just perfect). I hope this place makes it as it a pretty nice finer dining experience. Went to Liberty Tap Room to watch the Redskins kick the crap out of Dallas (YEAH!!!!).

The 31st we slept in a little (can I say 5 glasses of wine in one day is a little too much :sunny: ). Low key New Year's Eve. Took a nice walk on the beach. Went for a drive down to Georgetown and back. Lots of new development. Had a lite lunch a Inlet Crab House (one of our favorites). Split some shrimp tacos and hush puppies that were yummy! Went to Boardwalk and visited Gay Dolphin and a few shops. Played a little skeeball at the arcade and had a relaxing afternoon. The evening went over to Barefoot and went to a few shops. A lot of places closed early or were out of business (same as I saw at Broadway). Dinner at Flying Fish. They have a great steamed seafood platter that will easily feed two. Went home for New Year's Eve and watched the ball drop. A glass of champagne and off to bed - early wake up the next morning.

Left on the 1st at 7:00 a.m. and home by 1:30! No traffic at all. Will be back in the spring - probably Easter. Looking forward to the next trip already.

Post subject: Re: Christmas Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:39 pm 

Thank You!!! What a great time of year for a report...it seems like forever since the summer! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I always dislike the feeling of an off season place; like Barefoot and BATB, that is usually bustling (summer) and then it has that deserted feel. Makes me feel lonely :sad: Weird I know!

Thanks for sharing!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Sher, thanks for taking the time to write a trip review. Good restaurant reviews, fairly presented and detailed.

What really surprised me at BAB this year was the lack of Christmas decorations. They had 3 tall trees, triplets with big colored balls, and that was it! I remember when we first moved here they had a lovely "Twelve Days of Christmas" display with each "day" featured and tons of lights. But ever since, the decorations have gotten fewer and fewer. Still, I was very surprised this year!

It sounds like you had a lot of fun and enjoyed yourselves!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:48 pm 

Yeah..Trip Report :nanner: I enjoyed every word. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:51 pm 

Emmy,

I totally agree with you about tourist spots in the off season. They are depressing. The couple of times we have been to MB in September I have walked about BATB & Barefoot thinking it is so much more fun with thousands of people :roll: . I know it sounds stupid, but it is :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 am 

Boy did that report make me hungry... Thank you for all the new dining ideas :beerchug: ....

Monteray Bay -2011
Surfside Beach House- 2013

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:30 am 

The bad thing about Myrtle in the off season is that you can get into so many restaurants quickly and the prices at some are reduced. That means you need to do double duty at the gym when you return home. :wav:

I also noticed less decorations this year. When you come into Myrtle from the North, where 17 splits into Bypass and Kings Highway, there used to be light up figures there that are now gone. Barefoot had hardly any decorations and Broadway much less as well. I guess everyone is saving a dollar where they can.

My favorite time at the beach is September, early October. The weather is still warm enough to swim but the crowds are very thin. But anytime at the beach is better than no time at all!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am 
Forum Support

Sher1234 wrote:

My favorite time at the beach is September, early October. The weather is still warm enough to swim but the crowds are very thin.

Mine as well.

The rooms are also cheap, discounts at stores and everything is still open for the most part.

Thanks for the trip report! I've never checked out the restaurants you mentioned, so I will be looking them up online.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:18 pm 

I enjoyed reading your trip report especially at this time of year when they are few and far between. I really appreciate the restaurant reviews as they always help when deciding which different places to try. It sounded like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.