Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:46 am 

First an apology for the delay in starting this report. I have a good reason this time I have been banned from the board on my notebook. Kind of scarey when you try to get on but get the message "You have been permanently banned from this board. Something to do with my IPS address. I know I could contact Ron and he would help me. Even though I am technically challenged I realize it has something to do with the internet service they have set up here at the rental house. First year they have offered internet. Similar problem occurred a few years ago when I was staying in an Atlanta area hotel. Anyway, this may be the first trip report written fully from an IPhone.
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:04 am 

Left Pigeon Forge Tn around 9:30am. Original goal was to make it to the rental office in Surfside by their closing time of 5:00pm. Realizing that we may not make it we called them and arranged for the keys to be left. We have rented the same house through Old Colony Realty in Surfside for the past five years. They have been great to do business with. i am always amazed at all the super organized people on this board. I wish we were that way but we are always flying(or driving) by the seat of our pants. I have to confess no clean house to return to, no lists telling me what to packor where to go, etc. I have good intentions but it never happens. We felt very fortunate to even be getting on the road after working all weekend. To be continued.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Problem solved. You can now access the message board. :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm 

Thanks Patrish, you are fantastic. You have the best customer service around and we are not even paying customers. Thank you so much. Now I feel legal again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 pm 

Monday evening, 10/1 - Arrived at rental house around 5:30pm. Uneventful trip and fortunately no delays because of road construction or accidents. Chris was tired since he too had worked all weekend so we just got settled and stayed in for the evening. I went out and picked up food at Bar-B-Que House (I will add my comments to existing reviews) in Surfside. We shared one big order of ribs and chicken along with beans and slaw. Total was about $14.00 for the one order. More than enough for the two of us. Called it quits pretty early. So happy to be back at the beach.

Tuesday, 10/2 - Went to breakfast at Harry's Pancake House which is Chris's favorite place. We have been going there for years and we always feel so at home there. Breakfast is normally ordered off their special menu. I have eggs, bacon and pancakes. Off the special it runs around $4.00. Chris has eggs, bacon and grits and his runs the about the same. With two coffees our total runs around $13.00 plus tip. After breakfast Chris wanted to check out some of the local gyms to see what they had to offer for an old guy like him. He checked out the gym at the Pepper Geddings recreation center on Oak Street and really liked the equipment and assistants there. The charge is only $3.00 per day for anyone. It would be a great deal for anyone as they also a very large indoor pool, etc. Does not matter if you are out of state resident. He then checked out Planet Fitness and found it to be very modern and high tech. They are running a special for $20.00 a month and no contract. There is a one time $50. registration fee. It was very nice with tvs, etc. at each exercise stationL, He also checked out a gym think it was called Crabtree across from the base recreation center in the Market Commons. He said they were all very nice but he felt most comfortable at Pepper Geddings. Still stuffed from breakfast so I decided to go to the store and get some basics for the house as company is coming Wednesday. Did some shopping. Chris worked on some paperwork. Went on the beach for an hour or so. We ended up going to the K&W cafeteria for dinner which is something we rarely do. It was the one in Surfside and the food and service was very good. We both had nutritious meals for a total of $15.00. After dinner we headed to Market Commons. Chris ended up going to the movies but I just looked around the shops. It was a wonderful balmy night and the piped in music was so great. Sat with my coffee outside the bookstore and enjoyed the music. After the movie we headed back to the house.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:34 pm 

Sounds wonderful so far!! Thanks for letting us tag along! Love these live reports :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:49 pm 

Wed. 10/3 - repeat of yesterday as we went to Harry's again. Breakfast is always hot. I just prefer a change once in awhile. Surprize tomorrow we go elsewhere for breakfast. After breakfast chris went to Pepper Geddings rec center to work out. I use the term "workout" pretty loosely as he is pretty old and in not to good of health. He is very pleased with the instructions, etc he has received about the equipment, etc. After the gym we hurried back to Surfside as good friends wereco
Ing for a one night stay. We got to the house just a few minutes before them. We spent the afternoon, visiting, walking on the beach and enjoying an impromptu happy hour before going out to dinner. Well after staying in Surfside for over 4 years ww finally got to Bubba's for dinner. See restaurant section for full report. Food was good, drinks were cold and the place was very very casual. Would I return - maybe! After dinner we drove towards the boardwalk so our friends could see the wheel all lit up .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:48 am 

OK Silly me...this is not Live!! My bad. I just realized that NOW as you were posting what you did Wed. and I am thinking how did she do that??? I am a week behind :tongue3: :tongue3:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:17 am 

Sorry we weren't able to catch up with you and Chris before leaving :cry: We will try again next year!

Hope you have a wonderful month in paradise!! :sunny:

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:26 am 

So glad to see you are back in Surfside! I hope you all have a relaxing time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:10 pm 

Thursday, 10/4 - Surprise, Surprise, no Harry's this morning. Since we had company from home we decided to go to the Sea Captain's House for breakfast. It was the first time Chris and I had been in over 10 years. The last time we were there he was not impressed, fortunately this time he really enjoyed it. We were seated with a great ocean view. Our server was excellent. We all had the buffet ($8.95 each I believe). There was a good variety on the buffet. In addition there was a fresh omelet station. Fruit juice and an abundance of fresh fruit was also included. Excellent food, excellent service and a fantastic view made this a great experience. After dinner at Bubba's last night it seemed as if we were in a different world. The guys hung out at the house while the ladies took a two hour walk on the beach. Friends left to return to TN around 2pm. Returned to spend a couple more hours on the beach. Since we had gift cards to use up we went to Cracker Barrel for dinner. Stopped by the Barnes and Nobel, Market Commons for coffee before heading home for the night.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 pm 

Ok, once again I have failed at writing a trip report. Maybe I could just play the "age" card. In lieu of a detailed report I decided to write a brief summary of the month of October. I will go back later and try to write a detailed restaurant experience under the individual restaurant headings. For now as I look back on the month of October I can say it was a great time to be in Myrtle Beach. As anyone who has known me on this board for very long will know how much I love the beach and how I will do just about anything to make our time there possible. This year we drove four roundtrips from Pigeon Forge to Surfside between 10/1 and 11/1. The total mileage of these trips was in excess of 3,400 miles. We are not retired and still have to work. We eat breakfast out every day while we are there. The score was 17 breakfasts at Harry's Pancakes, 1 breakfast at Nibil's and 1 breakfast at The Sea Captains House. All were enjoyable experiences. We usually have a light lunch at the house but did have hamburgers at Joe's Hamburgers one day and another day walked to River City Cafe in Surfside for lunch. Also one of the highlights of the month was meeting Patrish for lunch at PF Changs. As I have mentioned in the past we accumulate gift cards during the year so some of our evening meals are eaten at chain restaurants. This year we used gift cards for dinner at PF Changs (twice), Chili's (once), Bonefish (once), Cracker Barrel. We did try a few new restaurants this time including Bubba's, Brat Haus in Longs), Loco Gecko at Captains Quarters. We also ate dinner at some of the old standbys including Angelos, K&W Cafeteria, Ultimate California Pizza, Inlet Crab House, and Texas Roadhouse (Garden City).
Some of the highlights of our month in addition to enjoying time on the beach included attending the Austin Healy Car Show at Market Commons. It was a beautiful day and the cars were lovely. Such a nice orderly crowd. The same day we went to the Surfside Family Festival in Surfside Beach. Lots of food vendors, crafts and entertainment. Second year we have gone and enjoyed it again this time. Also went to Art in the Park (Chapin Park). Lot smaller group of exhibitors this year than last. Enjoyed looking around and did make a few small purchases. We made one visit to Brookgreen and wish we would have gone back a second time. That place always works it magic on us. Such a beautiful place to spend an afternoon. A major highlight was running into Patrish and Wally on Halloween night at Market Commons. That was a surprise and since that was our last night made it a special memory. I would imagine if we added up what we spent for the month we could have taken a cruise or gone somewhere more exotic. But in reality there is no place I would rather be than in Myrtle Beach. Looking forward to October 2013 at the beach.
Judy