Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:51 am 

Kayak trip sounded great ! So he charged $15 for all the pics he took ? Or did I miss something......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:57 pm 

Yep. $15 for CD. Some tours the price is included in the price.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:08 am 

Thursday
Time to start the clean refridgerator part of the trip. Most of our food was for breakfast. Enough left for one more day so we ate out this morning. Drove out to "The Shack". Think this has become our new "if we really don't know what we want" place for meals now.
I had western omelette and she had biscuits and gravy. Breakfasts are just as good as their dinners.$17
Walls of the place are decorated with misc. Cherry Grove memorabilia(sp?). Some I've seen through the years. Others you can't get good look at without crawling over people sitting in the booths.
When leaving one caught my eye and nobody was in the booth. News clipping/brochure from 1951 announcing a land auction. Building lots in Cherry Grove. Man.....If our parents knew then what we know now........

On the beach a little after 10. Walked and back to chairs. Finally finished my book. A Jason Bourne storyline by some unknown author. Was OK but man it was hard to follow. Temps were perfect. Little breeze. Believe it or not at times the sun was too hot. Stayed on the beach until 5 just watching the people.

Dinner was at Duffy's. I had my usual Pirates Plate and loved it. Ruann had the ribs. Only serve full racks. Weren't as good as our favorite place back home but good enough she downed two thirds leaving me a taste for tomorrows lunch. $48

Stopped at Barnacle to grab some things to take home. Then....yes again.....Boulineua's to hit their upstairs gift shop. While she browsed I headed to the windchimes. Did our annual ringing of the chimes, "I'd like to have some of these", "I could make some."ritual.

Back to condo. Had our "ufo" moment. It was a plane but when it's miles away coming straight at you. Yes. That big light in the sky doesn't seem to move for a long time. Long enough to start being a believer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:43 am 

P.S.
Thursday
After years of trying I finally saw my first sunrise. Woke up and saw it was close to right time. Out to beach and headed towards pier. Sky very pink. Took pics of pier with phone and waited. Been here too many times before and it just felt the same. I'm going to stand here and watch the sun come up over the buildings.

Started back towards the condo looking back over my shouder every few steps. The clouds turned a much darker shade of red and there it was. Like watching the ball at News Years only in reverse. Took maybe 20 pics with phone wishing I had used camera.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:37 pm 

Friday
Up for walk before breakfast. Back to condo to eat. High tide. No hurry to get onto beach. Made it out 11:30. Great beach day. Walks and naps all afternnon. 4:00pm on the last day is worst part of week. Want to soak up every last minute of sun and surf you can before going in.

In and cleaned up. Headed south for dinner. Not sure where we were going. I had sights on Margaritaville but she didn't want to pay another big bill for a meal she'll only eat half of. Made it to Broadway and just walked around to see what we could find. Liberty Steakhouse. Place was almost empty. I had NY Strip and she had fish and chips. $49. Great atmosphere and steak was good. Not sure if I see that much difference between $20 Liberty steak and a $12 Logan's steak.

Walked around Broadway. Maybe not a good idea waiting til last night. Just can't get into the whole Broadway state of mind.

Back to condo to pack. Couple trips to the car and stood on balconey watching surf before turning in.

Saturday
Woke up and looked out window and down Ocean Blvd. Looked pretty bright. Almost sunup. Grabbed shorts and headed for door thinking I'd get another shot at a sunrise. Into living room for the keys. Windows towards the beach were pitch black. Looked at clock.....3:15. Back to bed.
Up again 6:30. Sun still not up. Grabbed camera and phone and headed to parking garage. Videoed the sunrise this time. Now....What to do with it?

On the road at 8:00....Sign on I 40 just before Rt52. Rt 52 to be closed at 8:00pm. No problem. Just north of town. Sign said left lane closed ahead. Little bit farther. Road closed. Gotta love the NC Department of Highways.
Detour through Stanleyville for a couple miles and back on two exits up the road. Between detour and lunch we spent close to an hour in that mess.

Way we figured it vacation wasn't over until top went up on car or we hit the driveway. Mt Airy the temps felt like they dropped ten degrees in a matter of a few miles. By Fancy Gap the heater was on and she was wearing hooded sweatshirt. Bastian. VA I broke out long sleeves and top was up. Vacation......over. 8 1/2 hours beach to home. With the detour. Not bad time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:25 pm 

Thanks for sharing...Sure am glad you caught those sunrises.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:24 am 

thanks...super trip report...details about the sunny days help make the 40 degree temps this morning bearable...you drove pretty far home before breaking down and putting the top up...I would have had my hoodie on and been whining about being cold long before Fancy Gap...

Kayak trip sounded amazing! but I do not know if it would be for me...not a great swimmer...

Thanks again...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:07 pm 

http://www.myrtlebeachkayaktours.com/default.html

They supply life jackets. Not required to wear them. At least he never said anything to us. They were strapped onto the boats but we were more comfortable without them.

Water is very calm. No current or white water. Very easy paddle. Imagine sitting on a bar stool with a paddle in your hands. Go through the paddling motion. That's about all the energy it takes to move your boat through the water. Hardest part is keeping it straight. If one side is stronger than the other you will keep turning. Doesn't take long to get hang of it. If Ruann can do it anybody can.

At low tide the water isn't that deep. Maybe 6' deep down the channel. On the edges could be a couple feet to couple inches.
On our way back to ramp the widest area looked like a big lake. He instructed us to stay over to the right. Little farther along I looked left and saw birds walking on water. Actually the whole left side of the lake area was a sand bar. Less than an inch of water covering it.
At another point I scrapped bottom with my paddle. Water was only a few inches deep along the edge of the marshy area I was checking out.

Guide carries a rope. If you have too much trouble paddling he either ties you up or pulls you with his.

Last. Saltwater marsh. No gaters.........

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 am 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7294956@N0 ... 4028/show/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:26 pm 

Your sunrise pics are beautiful. So jealous!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:09 am 

loved the pictures!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 pm 

Pop2748 you have the best trip reports!!! You really know how to vacation!! So relaxing. Thanks for posting the trip report and the pictures!
Angela