Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oceans....Sept 28-Oct 6
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:18 pm 

Out of the driveway at 7:30am. Unlike past trips car was ready. Gassed up and tires checked. Down the hill and onto the big road. Dark, dreary, rain, fog, is the sun ever going to come out drive down the turnpike. Always a lot of fun when you're sitting a few inches off the road way.
Before end of turnpike she was hungry. Instead of usual lunch near Greensboro we did breakfast two hours into trip in Princeton. Making good time already.
Back on the road it had quit raining and sun was up. By Mt Airy it was warm enough to peel the top back. Quick leg stretch, bio-break and back on the road. Another stop and go in Rockingham.
Elliott Realty 3:45 and in the unit by 4:00.
4:15 we were walking down the beach. Found first shark's tooth within 60 seconds but nothing after that. Walked to Blockade Runner. High school classmate is semi retired-semi disabled and spends months at a time down here. Was looking him up to see where he and other hillbillies gather to watch WVU games. Still not sure where we'll end up but looks like Overtime in NMB.
Over to Basil's for traditional first meal. She ordered the pizza Special which is pretty much with everything and I ordered The special stomboli with a few additional items. Jeff wasn't kidding last week about driving 7 hours to eat here. We've considered it a few times in the past.
Boulineua's for groceries. Yeah it's a few dollars higher than out on Rt 17 but we were on foot. It was worth it to avoid getting back in car and fight traffic.
Back to unit. Another walk on beach. Up above pier and back. Dark by the time we got back. Fought with wi-fi for awhile. List of passcodes on the wall of building. Dozen possible sites. No idea which code goes with which site. Wound up on a city wide wi-fi. Probably not recommened but it does work......

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:12 am 

Welcome to the beach! See you Sunday night!

Vicki & Kay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:09 pm 

Saturday
Up around 7:00. Standing on balconey I watched strange goings on out on the water. Four small fishing boats circling just this side of the pier. Very close to beach. I'm surprised some didn't get grounded they were in so far. Two to four people on the boats. One driver with others hanging over the side looking for something.First thought was somebody drowned. Here came some more and then even more.
Eventually they were down this way far enough we could see them throwing small nets. By this time there were probably 20 boats. Guess it was low budget shrimping.
There was a pole out in the surf that wasn't there last night. Out from it were two small bouys. Later when tide went out a truck showed up. Maybe 100' of net. Same thing Fishing.

Walk on beach heading south. Maybe a mile and back. Few more teeth. Back to condo to clean up and head out to Overtime for ballgame. On the way we drove on down towards Windy Hill looking for J-L Kayak Tours. Thought I saw address on their web site but couldn't find them. Will call. Might do some paddling in Cherry River marsh/inlet and over to uninhabited isand on other side of inlet.
One of the first ones to Overtime before the game. Place is great. Just by turning neck from side to side I counted 27 tv's. Not sure how many were behind me. Most people were on other side of room for NC game. Only a handful watching WV game.
Appetizer(good), sandwich for Ruann(She didn't care for it. Pretzle bun wasn't to her liking), chef salad for me(very good) and a few beers came to 55$.

Game was high scoring nailbiter. Thrid quarter I realized Buckeye fans were showing up. Bunches of them. I've learned through the years if you don't bother them they won't bother you.
Few minutes left in our game I heard them yell and cheer. Uh oh. Suroundings had changed. Their game had started and they were watching it on a couple of the smaller tv"s. Ruann and I were only Mounties fans left. We were watching our game on 10' screen while 30+ Buckeyes were watching small screens. By the time we got the bill and paid our game was over. Got the heck out of there.
Must have just missed Jan and her group. No sooner back in unit she possted on Facebook she was at Overtime.

We walked up beach almost to Sea Cabin pier. Between here and Cherry Grove pier we saw four weddings. Five if you count one that had just finished below us when we got back from game.
Surf competition above the pier. Small kids. 8-12 years old maybe. Small kids. Small waves. Not much more than them paddling out and sitting.

Thought about heading down to Main Street to Duck's tonight. Didn't make it. Stayed in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:48 am 

Sounds great Alan! Love your reports cause they are so close to "home." I have never been to Ducks but we always talk about going. Let us know if you go! Enjoy!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:12 pm 

Sounds like a good trip so far!!! We were at Logan's Steakhouse in Vienna, WV...(near Parkersburg) for both the WVU game and the OSU game...WVU game was a nail biter...OSU won but Terry & I were not thrilled with how the Bucks played...I think I would have enjoyed both more if I knew I could still go out on the beach. I hope the weather is great for the rest of your stay...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:17 pm 

Enjoy the trip. I enjoy reading your stuff. If I was there you'd have me on your side for West Va. watching the game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:36 am 

Wi-fi is killing me. Somebody from the city sees me on balconey typing and turns it off. Doesn't turn off page until I hit send and then a page comes up pretty much laughing......."Hey buddy. It didn't go through....."
Try it for third time from the building's common area. Better signal. I hope.
Sunday.
Up hoping for sunrise picture. Not today. Very heavy cloud cover. Did stay out for a while hoping for possible sun beams through the clouds shot. That wasn't going to happen either. Clouds just way too thick. Day wasn't shaping up to be a good beach day.

We walked down the beach later. Little more than halfway to Main Street. Took chairs to beach around 11:00. I walked in surf but not warm enough to be comfortable without shirt. Ruann sat in chair covered with every towel she could get her hands on.

Headed to meet up early. Stopped at mall below Barefoot. I'm usually the one forgeting to pack something but this time she did. No I'm not one up on her. We're even. I forgot swim trunks.......
Twisted around getting to pier. Long story short I was on 501 and saw a 3rd Ave north sign. You would think it would run straight out to within sight pf pier. Nope. One of these days I'm going to make a drive down to that end just to learn how to navigate 501 into MB.

Meet up was nice. Great to see old friends. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if Patrish would forget her camera.

Drive back north we thought about eating then hitting Boom Boom's. Yeah it sounds like an adult entertainment joint but it's a beach bar on inter coastal. Beach bum friend said it was last night of season for live music. Should be a big deal. Temps were dropping. Drizzle rain. We passed.
Never did agree on dinner. Needed some paper towels for kitchen so into Boulineua's we went. Couple skillet/microwave dinners.
We ate for !0$. Time together.....Pricele.......I don't know. Boom Boom's mighta been fun.........

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:23 am 

Monday
Up later. Sun was already up. Still some cloud cover but nothing like yesterday. It was looking to better weather.
Commercial shrimp boat straight out from us. Closer look there were dolphins between us and the boat. 3-4 swimming in circle. Soon we noticed dolphins all up and down the beach. Looked like a feeding frenzy going on behind the shrimp boat. Could see several large dark patches of fish slowly heading south. Couple surf fishermen were chasing after those but didn't see anybody catch anything.

High tide. Threw normal routine out the window. Ate before taking walk. Headed up beach alone around 9. By 10 it was warm enough to remove shirt and soak up some rays. Normal walk I would have gone back to condo after walk and applied sun screen. Ruann was crossing the dune with chairs when I got back so I stayed out. Even though sun screen was in bag next to me I elected to wait til later. Later came and went......Several times. Read a little. Napped a little. Walked a little. Going on 2:00 I gave it a big uh oh.......
Jury still out on how bad it is.

Went in to make some phone calls. Scheduled a kayak tour for late Wed afternoon. Through the Cherry Grove marsh and through some creeks to one of the uninhabited barrier islands between here and Sunset Beach.$50 per person. 4:00 to 7:00 sunset tour. Trips range from $40-$60. Picked this one because I've had my eyes on those islands since I was kid in the 60's staying up at end of Cherry Grove.

Over to store for beer and Lime-A-Ritas. Margaritas in a can. Heard about them. Really not that bad. Did go back out on beach wearing a shirt. Tornado warnings for the area but sky was still clear. Dark clouds did slide over. No sprinkles until we had sun and clear skies above. Go figure. By the time I laid book down the sprinkles stopped.
Breeze became a wind. Chairs next to me blew over. Maybe something to the warnings. Headed inside.

Decided to walk out to Hamburger Heaven. 4-5 blocks out Sea Mountain. Went north first to check on a new house. Had me confused how long it had been there. Ruann said for a while. I said it was sitting where we took pictures a trip or two back. I got one right.....
Walked back streets through Nixon and Duffy Streets. Lots of houses for sale. Maybe we're lucky we didn't buy one years ago when we had the bug.

I don't know if it's regular schedule or off season. They close at 5:00 Mon -Wed. Too early in week for Duffy's. Already had Basil's(closed today anyway) Back to get car. Drove out to........Never got off of Sea Mountain. The Shack.

(off back of menu)Used to be Biscuit Shack. Owner passed away. Couple locals reopened it. Steaks, chicken, seafood. Home cooking and southeren hospitality at it's finest. Think most of the crowd were locals. Waitresses knew everybody by name.
I had Dixie Chicken. Grilled covered with cheese and bacon and served with honey mustard. Ruann had chicken dumplings. When Ruann says she likes it......That's a major seal of approval.
$26

Short drive down through Ocean Drive and Main Street. Hit some residential streets. Can always dream of retiring here. Back to condo for Monday Night Football. Love those shots of Jerry Jones when his team stinks up their new fancy stadium.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:03 am 

Quote:
Love those shots of Jerry Jones when his team stinks up their new fancy stadium

Too funny.... great report, thanks for the details ! After you take the kayak trip, let us know the name of the tour company.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 pm 

Enjoying your report. We have been to The Shack and it is good home cooked comfort food at a great price. Hope the winds blow over and the sun shines the rest of your trip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 am 

Tuesday
Surfs up. First couple days the waves have been one row and maybe 2'. This morning there's probably 3-4 rows at 3'-4'. Very hazy and over cast. Clear days we can see skyline of Shore Drive. At night we can see the colors on the SkyWheel change. This morning we can't see Ocean Drive.

Ruann says after my walk if it doesn't look any better we'll go to Tanger's and then movie this afternoon. Translation......I'm going shopping.

I walked south. No hurry to get back I walked to end of houses in Tilghman section. Out to Ocean Blvd and headed back up the sidewalk. One thing to look at these houses while driving. You get a much better look on foot. The size. The landscaping. Big bucks invested along this stretch.
Back out to beach. Ran into Carl (classmate/beach bum)

By the time I got back to condo I knew she'd be pacing the floor. Cleaned up and said I was ready to go. She was too. For the beach.

Turned out to be great beach day. Damage from Monday wasn't that bad. Tad pink but no pain or discomfort. Careful which way chair faced and spent four hours on beach reading and napping.

Headed out to River Citys for dinner. I had Three Alarm Burger. She had Bacon Cheese. Big, sloppy, tasty. OK for burgers. $26.
(Wed morning while fixing breakfast I noticed stack of coupons left by previous guests. One on top. R....I....V....Yep. Coupon for free River Citys T-shirt.)

Strolled through Tanger's. She hit some stores for grandikd clothes. I warmed the benches. Stopped at Dairy Hut in Cherry Grove
before turning in for the night. Everything comes in one size. Cones are large. Even in 70 degree temps it was hard to eat them before they melted. Can't imagine trying it in summer's heat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:43 am 

Kirk,
Tour is through J-L Kayaking or J-L Kayak Ecoventures. Google either one should bring you to their web site.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 pm 

Still enjoying your trip. Sounds like a relaxing one like we had. One day I may be brave enough to try kayaking. I miss the beach already and I was just there.

Husband says he doesn't want to hear this anymore from me "it was still nice and sunny at 630 in Myrtle Beach" I say. Every night at this time I say this after work , its all shaded and the sun is gone at my house by 4:30. He says I've lived here all my life get used to it you're not in Myrtle Beach now you're home. He is being mean :cry:

Don't know about you Alan, but enjoy the sun. When I was there I was so much more energetic when it is sunny. When it is gray and cloudy I just want to come home and I'm ready for sweat pants and sleep. Time to curl up like a bear. :nanner:

Have a great remaining week.
:nanner:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 pm 

Ha..Cathy, Doug just told me yesterday it is time for me to stop living in a dream world that we were not going back to the beach until next July. :cry:

Alan, loving your report. Living through every word.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 am 

Wed
Breakfast and on the beach at 10. Chairs and all. Didn't last 15 minutes. Few scattered rain drops turned into......rain. Early afternoon it quit raining. Got in a long walk under cloudy skies. Over to Dairy Hut for some quick hot dogs and to Boulineua's True Value. This family is into everything. Cherry Grove post office is INSIDE the hardware store.
Grabbed some dry bags to put phones in during kayak tour.

Up to the boat ramp at 53rd. Met our guide Justin. He and his wife run the business. Yes I told him about the message board.
Thought we were going with a group but it was just going to be the three of us. He, she and me.... We used sit on top kayaks. Easy to get on and off. Seemed to be more stable than sit in kayak. Sit a liitle higher out of the water. Paddling felt a little different. Maybe just in my mind. After a few 100 yards I didn't give another thought.

It was low tide. Low tide vs high tide tours. Advantages/disadvantages. High tide you can paddle into some of the creeks through the marsh. Low tide there aren't any creeks. At low tide you have better time on the island above Cherry Grove. Tons of shells at high tide mark plus a few more down at the surf line.

Paddling up through the channel Justin pointed out the different birds. Bald eagle, stork. Between spelling them wrong or saying a name that doesn't exsist I won't try to list them all. As we paddled he took tons of pictures. He's like a Leo on water. Not a clump of grass or piece of driftwood he can't make look like art.

The view at the inlet was unreal. We're sitting on fairly calm water looking out over sand bar at the surf of the ocean. Using phone for camera just doesn't capture it.
On to the island. A few fishermen along the inlet side of the island but once you round the bend the island is deserted. Tons of shells. Wish we had taken a bag or something. Filled up my ball cap. Mostly the same clam shells you find elsewhere only biggest part of these are still attached to the other half of the shell. Several of the snail looking shells and a small conch. Found another small conch in the surf but it's resident was still alive and well. Set him(or her) back into the surf. Like Justin says. "It is an eco-tour".

Less than a mile up the beach Justin turns back to keep an eye on the boats. We had over an hour to roam on our own. Place is unbelievable. Island is owned by Tighlman family. Leased/loaned to Coastal Carolina for their studies. Only structure is a rustic observation cabin over behind the dunes.

Made it back to boats with plenty of time to spare. Had some questions about things and he had answers. For some reason netting came into conversation. Next thing I knew he had net out of his boat teaching me how to throw a net. I need a lot of practice but it doesn't seem to be half as complicated as video in Boulineua's makes it look.

Paddled back to car. This was "sunset tour" and was everything you would have expected. Paddling back we were heading straight into the sunset. Beautiful colors.
Back at his jeep he put card into his lap top so we could see pictures. A lot of adventure tours show you the pics and charge $10-$15 per picture you choose. $15. WE bought it. Lucked out. He was trying new camera for first time and took more pictures than usual.
Like I said. Trying to get him on the board. Can see him at a meet up. He, Leo and Patrish would be off at table by themselves talking about cameras.
Highly recommend this tour for the younger or young at heart members of the board. OK........Enough advertising for the guy.......

Back to condo to clean up. Headed up to Little River to Patio's. Beach Bum Carl told us not to miss this. Local musicians from the area meet there on Wed's to jam. 5-9 and we didn't get there til 8:30. What we heard was great.

Back to Boulineua's for some snacks then headed in for the night.