Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:53 am 
Site Admin

My best friend in Roanoke and I have been trying to get together for the last couple years, and for a variety of reasons, we haven't been able to work out plans.
(We saw Judy and her husband last Feb. at their Florida winter home, but since we did everything as couples, that didn't really count as a "girl's getaway!)
Since Wally was going to be in North Carolina and West Virginia from 9/20 until 9/23, we decided to have a mini-vacation right here in Myrtle Beach.

Judy arrived mid-afternoon on Thursday, and that night we had dinner at PF Chang. This is my favorite restaurant in Myrtle Beach. It is reasonably priced and only a stone's
throw from our house. I had a coupon for a free appetizer and we both ordered an entree which we shared. The servings are very generous, son we brought a lot of food home.
No photos. PG Chang link:
http://www.pfchangs.com/index.aspx

Early Friday after breakfast at home (coffee, juice, yogurt, cereal and fresh strawberries) we headed south to Pawleys Island, then worked our way back to Myrtle
Beach by way of Brookgreen Gardens.

It was a lovely day, and the beach on Pawleys Island was was uncrowded and beautiful. The sand is lighter in
color and softer than the beaches in MB.

As we headed back to Myrtle Beach we decided to stop for lunch at the Litchfield Fish house.

Here's their website:
http://www.litchfieldbeachfishhouse.com/

Who could resist this truck in the parking lot?

We both ordered the shrimp salad (9.99) and agreed that it was excellent. The restaurant is decorated in old signs and photos,
giving you the feeling of having stepped into the past. For instance, the sign on the ladies room door said "No lifeguard on duty."
It's not fancy at all, but the service and food were very good.

Brookgreen Gardens was next on our list. Here's Judy as we walked the trail of the zoo. Although Judy has been to Myrtle Beach
numerous times, she had never been to Brookgreen, and she absolutely loved it. We did a LOT of walking!

Friday night's dinner was the leftovers from PF Chang.

Saturday morning the weather perfect again. We enjoyed our breakfast on the front porch, then we packed our gear and headed for Myrtle Beach State
Park, only few minutes from our house. We got there about 9:30 AM. and the morning fog was just lifting. The colors in the sky were still morning- lovely.

Back at the house, we snacked for lunch, then headed for the Boardwalk which was new to Judy. I was sure she wanted to ride the SkyWheel, but she
changed her mind saying she didn't realize it was so big. So we just walked around awhile, taking in the sights and some of the stores.

I have not been inside the Gay Dolphin for years, but Judy remembered it from a long time ago so we went in to take a look. The store is HUGE! These
Egyptian figures (priced at $2000. each) caught our eyes (how could you miss them?)

Next and last on our list was Broadway at the Beach, and by this time we were both getting really tired of walking. She enjoyed seeing the new
additions, but we were ready to go home and rest awhile.

We don't have a balcony like many of you enjoy when you come to the beach, but we do have a screened in back porch that offers a lot of bird
and hummingbird activity. And we had good wine in the refrigerator. Judy and I have known each other close to 40 years, so we enjoyed many
shared moments of the past, each of us remembering something the other had forgotten. At times we laughed until tears rolled down our cheeks.

We chose Nacho Hippo for dinner. Website:
http://www.nachohippo.com/

Like PF Chang, this restaurant is very close to our house, and the drive took all of 3 minutes. We arrived around 8 PM and were seated next to the
sidewalk where we enjoyed watching people and listening to the live music in the restaurant. We ordered "Make Your Own Nachos" and added black beans,
mango salsa, and roasted vegetables to the basic chips, cheese blends, lettuce and pico de gallo. The taco bill was around $10. Margaritas are $3.

Judy left yesterday around noon. We got a lot done in the short time she was here. (And it's not often I get to write a trip report!)

"A photograph is the pause button of life."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:26 am 

Patrish what a lovely lovely time you and Judy must of had. You did so much in such a short amount of time, I am impressed :hello: !

When you said "A photograph is the pause button of life" it made me tear up a bit...you are so right about this. We rush around constantly and sometimes miss those all important simple daily moments. You sure didn't! So glad you had such a wonderful time!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:27 am 

What a wonderful weekend with an old friend!! How fun!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:26 pm 

I can't imagine life without my "girlfriends." It sounds like you and Judy had a wonderful time together. Precious memories.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:46 pm 

Patrish, it's so nice to see your lovely eyes! It sounds like a perfect time, mixing old and new. Isn't that what a friendship is? You're both lucky to have such a relationship!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:50 pm 

Sounds like you enjoyed your weekend. Having Market Commons so close to your house has to come in handy for quick meals at some quality places.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:45 am 

What a great trip report! I'm sure it was fun to be a tourist for once. Thanks so much for the pictures and the report.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:10 am 

Nothing like girl time....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:57 pm 

A great time you had. Graet pictures too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:18 pm 

I love the time I get to spend with my girlfriends. That is one of the reason I hesitate to retire. My best girlfriends are my co workers. We all know each other so well and have worked together for so long. I think I will miss them more than my actual job. :dontknow:

I am glad you had a chance to spend time with Judy. It sounds so nice!