Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:58 pm 

:nanner: :mrgreen: :wav: :hello: :hello: :sunny: :beerchug: :cheerleader: :ac15[1]:

We are here! We left Ohio on Saturday around 11 am and arrived in Greensboro at about 5:30 pm. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on Regional Road which is right off of the freeway. Dinner was at FATZ Cafe, which is located directly across the parking lot. We both had a great dinner! Mike had a Parmasean Chicken Pasta and I had a blackened fish sandwich off of the lite menu. Back to the hotel, watched a movie and crashed.

We both woke up early - around 6 or so, showered packed and went down for breakfast. Not a bad complimentary selection - eggs, bisquits, gravy, french toast, etc. After packing up the car we were on the road around 9am. We did run into a detour that took us through Ashboro and delayed us around 20 minutes. Oh well.....no schedule to keep is a good thing!

We pulled into the Windsurfer at about 1:30, and visited with Vicki and Kay while we waited on our room. Just finished unloading the car, watching the NASCAR race, and contemplating dinner.....

I will try to keep up with a live report as much as possible. :sunny:

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:24 pm 

Have Fun :nanner: as I am sure you will.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:28 pm 

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you arrived safely! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:52 pm 

Have a great trip. Glad to see that you made it down safely. Enjoy your time at the beach.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:00 am 

Sunday evening we decided walked down to The Land Shark for cheeseburgers. We sat on the patio deck. The burgers were good as usual and so was the service. We made a stop at a convenience store to pick up some creamer on the way back. I don't do coffee without creamer, and can't do mornings without coffee. :lol: We noticed on the walk back that there were a couple of older hotels that have closed since last fall. Some windows were boarded up, and another is being taken down floor by floor, so it appears.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:28 am 

Monday -

Up early (and I'll skip that statement for the rest of vacation because it's a given) to a beautiful sunrise. Brewed some coffee, and got caught up on email, etc.

Mike is working this week. He is one of the fortunate ones who works remotely. He signed in to work around 8:00 and I decided to do the morning walk. Just gorgeous out there. A little chill in the air, breeze coming in off the ocean, a lot of smiling faces and good morning greetings along the way. Ahh...this is the first full day of vacation!

When I got back, Mike said it was time for his coffee break :wink: so we walked over the the 2nd Ave Pier for breakfast. They have a simple breakfast for $7 plus coffee. Not the cheapest breakfast in town, but the food is good and the view is spectacular!

When we got back, I decided to venture off to Walmart for supplies. I went to the Walmart on 544. Is it me or is the layout of that store really strange? It is nothing like the one at home. I was happy that I still had my tennis shoes on because I made at least 3 laps around that place before finding everything on my list! They were really busy too which I didn't expect on a Monday.

Back to the hotel around 1:30 and I was very grateful for the luggage cart! We watched our soap and then Mike pulled the plug on his laptop and announced his work day had ended. :wav:

It was time to decide on dinner - we had thought about Margaritaville, but then opted for Nacho Hippo at The Market Common. New place for us! We located the B1G1 Taco coupon in the Official Myrtle Beach Area Visitors Guide. See our review here:

http://www.funbeaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=11614

After dinner, we drove out to Broadway at the Beach. We had intended to get an after dinner treat at Froyoz, but we were just too full from dinner. We browsed a couple of shops, made 1 full lap around and then headed back to the hotel.

I called Vicki and Kay to see what they were up to, and we met them for a drink at the Pier. We enjoyed catching up and watching the sunset.

Day 1 is complete.

Vacation pics 2014

Last edited by Jan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:16 am 

Jan,

When I read about your morning walks and all the smiling faces my heart immediatly went back to last week. My morning sunrises and walks were my favorite part of our vacation. I am so guilty of being so busy that I don't slow down long enough to even think sometimes. There were some mornings I was gone 2 hours before I knew it. So I am very jealous that you are out walking my route this week :cry: Enjoy...I know I sure did.

Can't wait for more of your report.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 pm 

Tuesday

Another beautiful day at the beach! The last several days have just been perfect. After a short walk and breakfast, I went down to lounge in the sun for a bit. Sunscreen, Kindle and ballcap in tow, I found a lounge chair and settled in. A gentleman a few chairs down asked if that was a "Block O" on my ballcap, and I proudly answered, "yes sir it is" to which he replied, "if you're proud, you have to show it - by the way, I'm from Ann Arbor." Really? Sorry about that - is what I wanted to say, but I bit my tongue and smiled. We chatted a bit and agreed we've all had our ups and downs, and left it at that. Shortly after, another couple walked up, the gentleman saw my ballcap and proudly said, "O-H" to which I of course replied, "I-O!" He sat down next to Mr. Ann Arbor, who said, "Oh no, not another one!" I told him he was surrounded so it must be a sign of some sort... :mrgreen: Just making friends at the beach! :wink:

Anyway, back to the trip report. Late afternoon we drove down to Murrells Inlet and found Hannah Banana's Sunshine Cabana. It is off the beaten path, but at least we now know where it is for a future visit. We had decided to go to Gordon Biersch for dinner since we had a gift card. We chose an appetizer platter, which was plenty for the two of us. We walked from there to Cold Stone for a little ice cream.

We returned just in time to see Dancing With the Stars and called it a night. Not a very eventful day, but a nice relaxing one!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:49 pm 

Wednesday

Almost missed the sunrise this morning :ohnoes: That means I'm sleeping much later than normal. I caught it just as the sun first broke the horizon, the sky was a bright orange and just glowed. I'll post that pic when I get home. The dolphins were also out this morning - what a nice bonus!

I made breakfast sandwiches this morning and then we packed our bag for the beach. We found a prime spot and set up camp. Not a cloud in the sky today. There were only 3 beach chairs/umbrellas set up and the lifeguards are few and far between.

We called Vicki & Kay to see what their dinner plans were and joined them at Thorny's. It was appetizers again tonight. I guess those sandwiches from this morning were more filling than I thought! After dinner, Mike and I went to BATB for a Starbucks fix. Mike wanted to see if the guy at Klig's Kites was out, and he was. Hard to believe, but there was a bench open so we parked it for awhile to watch the show. That guy is a hoot!

Back to the room around 8:30 or so, and got the last parking spot...whew that was close, and a tight fit at that.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:43 am 

Thursday began with another beautiful sunrise and quick trip down the Boardwalk and back. We just had some oatmeal for breakfast. Mike needed to work a bit this morning, so I changed and went down to the pools in search of a shady spot. I didn't use quite enough sunscreen yesterday and got a little pink :oops:

Mid afternoon we drove out to Tangers on 17. There is a Bare Escentuals Outlet there I wanted to check out. :nanner: Their prices aren't all the much cheaper, but if you use the makeup, it's worth the stop. I think my sister and I will go out there and have our make up done next week! :love1: We browsed for awhile and then headed out to Broadway at the Beach. We were meeting Leo, Charlotte, Vicki, Kay, Katie, Brett and the girls for dinner at Capriz at 6:30. When we arrived there was a large crowd gathered outside. The special tonight, in honor of their 1 year anniversary, was 2 meals for $27. We put our name in at 6:00 and they said it would be at least 45 minutes to an hour. I was glad we got there early!

While we waited, we had a wonderful visit with dear friends. Many of you remember the events with Katie's health earlier this year. She is a living, breathing, answer to many prayers and it was all I could do to keep the tears in check.

We were seated in about an hour and my review can be seen here:
http://www.funbeaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=12790

We did not walk (waddle) away hungry!

It was a wonderful evening! I spoke with my sister when we returned to the hotel. She is getting very excited about their visit with us here next week. Carla has been working in Charlotte this week. Her husband Marc will be flying there on Friday and then they will drive down on Saturday.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:55 am 

Friday - I walked as usual and Mike decided to end the work week early and begin his real vacation. I fixed ham, egg and cheese sandwiches for breakfast, then we decided to hit the flea markets before our move up North.

First stop was Myrtle Beach Flea Market and then on down to Hudson's. There were a lot of shops closed at Hudson's. Mike did find a deal on leather belts at one of the vendor's but that was about it.

Back to the room for a bit and then we met Vicki and Kay for dinner at Big Daddy's for some steak. Great food and company! I had a sirloin with sweet baked potato and Mike had the chopped steak. We were plenty full when we left, but.......

After dinner we drove out to BATB, made a lap around and then had to stop at Froyoz for a little treat. :lol: We also grabbed a bag of kettle corn :shock: We got back around 8:30 and snagged the last parking spot on the lot :hello: .

We did a little packing in preparation for the move to NMB on Saturday morning.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:52 pm 

Enjoying your report.Wish I was still there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 pm 

Saturday -

We loaded the car and checked out of the Windsurfer, then drove down to Harry's Breakfast Pancakes. $3.89 for 2 eggs, 2 cakes, and 2 bacon or sausage! :nanner: Then on the Ashworth for the next week. We arrived around 11 and got the car unloaded, then checked in with my sister and BIL who are enroute from Charlotte. They arrived around 1:00. After they unpacked we went out and ran a couple errands. We ended up at Overtime Sports Bar on 17 to watch the OSU game and get something to eat.

We were greeted at the door and they first asked which game we were watching, and they promptly seated us in the Ohio State section, where we had the 2nd largest big screen in the place (Clemson was on the the huge screen). I have never seen so many tv's in one place! Team flags hanging everywhere, blimps, NASCAR inflatable cars, etc. It is the nicest sports bar we've ever been in. We all ordered food - the guys had fish and chips, I had a grilled chicken sandwich and salad, and my sister ordered a bleu cheese burger with salad. All of us were very happy with our meals and the service was good. Our server did try to come around to tables during time outs or breaks in plays. She also brought us a table top speaker so we could hear the announcers on the game. We really had a great time and will definately be back.

Funny thing was that we must have just missed Alan and Ruann! :BandHead: Well, we would not have been watching the same game anyway :mrgreen:

We came back to the condo for awhile, did a little beach walking since my sister had not been down to the beach yet. Later in the evening we went over to Starbucks for a night cap :wink: and called it a night.

Sunday - we were all up early. We grabbed some coffee and went down to the beach, hoping the clouds would part long enough to see the sunrise, but they didn't. :cry:

Carla and I made a quick run over to Bi-Lo on Main St to pick up a few supplies, then came back to pick up the guys and go down to Krispy Kreme for breakfast. This was Carla's first visit so we had to do the complete tour of the doughnut making process. She is now a member of the Krispy Kreme team!

Early afternoon we drove down to the Boardwalk. We rode the SkyWheel and had dinner at Land Shark. After dinner we walked down to the Gay Dolphin. I wonder how much inventory turn over they really have? There is so much stuff in there and most of it looks like it's been there since opening day! Oh well, now Carla can say, "yes, I have been to the Gay Dolphin!"

On to the Meet up at the 2nd Ave Pier! We got there a little early so we could walk the pier. We had a wonderful time visiting with everyone. As always, the meet ups are the highlight of our vacation. Thanks, Wally, Patrish, Alan, Ruann, Vicki & Kay for coming!

Looks like rain for tomorrow - time to hit the outlet malls probably!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 pm 

Monday -

Well the weather people had predicted today to be a wet one with scattered thunderstorms. They missed that one at least for NMB!

We all got up early this morning. The dolphins were really active this morning! We watched them for about an hour and then went to the Golden Griddle on Main St for breakfast. Wonderful pancakes! From there we parted ways temporarily with my sister and BIL. We drove out to Tangers on 501 where Mike picked up some deals at Direct Tools (again!) I went into Coach....twice and still couldn't drop the cash for a purse, even at half price plus an additional 30% off. :BandHead: Sometimes I'm just too practical :wink: but will drop $4.80 for a cup of coffee :dontknow:

We stopped for coffee and noticed blue sky and sun and decided to change plans and head back to the condo for some beach time. What a nice afternoon. There were still a lot of dolphins playing much closer to the beach than earlier this morning. Carla and I took our chairs down to the water and just enjoyed watching the waves.

Around 4:00 we got ready for dinner. Carla and Marc were going in search of seafood, while Mike and I decided to drive up to Basils, which we found closed on Monday. We went on over to Barefoot, where it had just rained pretty hard and not a drop where we are staying. We decided on Ultimate California Pizza. We both ordered salads and we shared a Pepperoni and Portabello Mushroom pizza. It was awesome! Marc & Carla showed up and they had dinner at Bennett's. Other than the flounder being a little overcooked, Marc said the buffet was great.

We strolled around Barefoot for a bit, then made a stop at Walmart to pick up a couple things, and back to the condo for the evening.

BTW - we have gotten more mileage out of the $5 can of Windbreaker that Mike bought at Klig's Kites than you can possibly imagine. :chairfall: You all know what I'm talking about - if not, it's a noise maker of sorts.

Vacation pics 2014