Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 pm 

Bill,

I am loving your report. I especially loved your perspective on the sunrise. Watching a sunrise is on my list of things to do next week.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:08 pm 

It's a great travelogue! Really enjoying it!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:24 pm 

What a great read! I am enjoying your report.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:42 pm 

Excellent trip report as always, Bill! I do love the way you write! It is so enjoyable to read! Keep it coming!
:nanner: :nanner: :nanner: :nanner:
Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:04 pm 

I am missing the beach! Thanks, Bill! Excellent trip report!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:16 pm 

Great Great Report!! We have video taped many Myrtle Beach sunrises.....they are gorgeous. I am so hoping to see the "UFO" lights, too. I won't go into details....but many many MANY years ago...my whole family, my husband at the time and my 5 & 4 yo children actually saw one hovering above our home for just a few seconds. I don't tell to many folks this info for obvious reasons.... :lol: :lol:
One week from today we will be lounging on the balcony of our 5th floor suite at the Bayview. Just can't wait.

Brenda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Bill, don't feel bad about missing the UFOs. I've never seen them either. I think that's due in part to the fact that we don't stay on the beach or watch the ocean at night.

Thanks for responding to my question about the food at Capt. Juel's. If the food was good, and the restaurant was clean, that's what counts. Also, we were there in Nov. so I'm sure the area was cleaned up a lot by the time the tourists arrived.

There used to be a 2nd Capt. Poo's in Murrells Inlet, but it closed. It had the wonderful views of that all the Marshwalk restaurants have restaurants have, the prices were very reasonable and food was good. I was sorry to see it go.

"After watching them a while they started to look familiar."
I had to laugh at the idea of you checking your iPhone again and again to be sure you were seeing Charlie Womble. We're not shaggers, but his name is well known up and down the Grand Strand.

I've really enjoyed your trip report, Bill! Thanks so much for letting all of us follow you around.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 am 

I will try to finish this up a little quicker than it started.

Friday we started out “beaching” again. This time with Kay and Bo. I really enjoyed having friends from home join us at the beach. Jodie and I have talked about that many times, and I hope we can do it more often. Kay and Jodie went for a beach walk while Bo and I sat and talked. I enjoyed taking with Bo about stuff while we kicked back in our beach chairs. I don't know what Jodie said to Kay during their walk. She probably warned her not to encourage me, but whatever it was, when the ladies returned Kay broke it to me that she wasn't going to jump off the bridge in Conway. Oh well..... The ocean was a little rougher than before, but we enjoyed playing in the waves. Mostly we just sat watching people, reading, and contemplating the big question of what we wanted to eat for supper that night.

After weighing our many options, we ended up at Boom Boom's Raw Bar. Jodie and I had been there when it was Marina Raw Bar a few years ago. We wanted to try it again now that Jim Quick's dad (Boom Boom) has taken it over. The events calendar on Boom Boom's website shows that its a busy place. Not much was happening when we were there, but it was still quite early. Perhaps things picked up a little as the evening progressed. We actually had to browse around a nearby beach store until Boom Boom's opened. The food was similar to how it was when it was Marina Raw Bar. It was your normal fried/broiled seafood restaurant fare. In addition to my scallops I ordered fried spinach. I never had it before, and I didn't know what to expect. I have had fried green beans, which were batter coated, deep fried delights, but never spinach. Leave it to Dixie to turn a normally healthy food into an artery buster. When the spinach arrived it was not deep fired but rather pan fried, and without batter. The result was something akin to potato chips. It was green, crispy, and very delicate, and also very tasty. I hope we can go back to Boom Boom's again soon when more is happening there, maybe when Coastline is playing.

After eating we drove South to see the new Boardwalk. I know its not really so new any more, but we hadn't seen it. We haven't been to that part of Myrtle Beach in a long time. It looks like the future is bright for that area. I'm looking forward to seeing what eventually comes up in the big field where the Pavilion once stood. We parked by the Sky Wheel and walked down to the 2nd Ave.Pier and back.

Bo and Kay had not been to Myrtle Beach in 23 years, so everything is new to them. After the Boardwalk by the beach we went over to “Broadway at the Beach” and strolled around a while. Jodie and Kay discovered the cupcake store. Bo and I didn't really care so much about the cupcakes, but the ladies wanted to buy six. Apparently they are a little cheaper when you buy them by the half dozen. Jodie also told me that we should buy six because “That way we each get one.” ( 6 cupcakes / Bill, Jodie, Bo, Kay = “we each get one”) ...Despite the math puzzler, the bite size cupcakes were good. Just enough to give you a taste and not fill you up. I got the Reeces cup flavor. We enjoyed them on a bench watching the daredevil Speedboat race back and forth on the lake.

I would have liked to try the ropes course out in front of Wonderworks, but it was starting to get a little late. By our usual beach standards it wasn't late at all, but Jodie and I had a busy Saturday morning planned. We went back to the hotel and got to bed right away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 pm 

The final chapter

Saturday morning Jodie and I quietly left the hotel room while Kay and Bo were still asleep. We drove to Sunset Beach to The Sea Trail Golf Resort. We didn't have a tee time. We were signed up for the 5k road race to benefit Brunswick Family Assistance.

We got our race numbers and pinned them on our shirts. I was feeling pretty good, but that didn't last long. After a salute to the flag, presented by a local high school JROTC Color Guard, the race began. It had rained earlier that morning and the steam was rising off the street we were running on. It was so muggy. The air was THIICK. Both Jodie and I ran about 3 minutes slower than we expected to, especially on such a flat course. Three minutes in a 5K race is a very long time. No excuses, everyone there was breathing the same air we were. We were just not ready for this race.

I was embarrassed. Jodie was disappointed in her performance, but collecting the trophy for FIRST PLACE in her age group made her feel better. I don't know why I ran so poorly. I had run much longer distances earlier in the week without any problem. Maybe it was that “welcome-to-the-beach” ice cream that slowed me down, or maybe it was the “special” Diet Cokes. (No it couldn't be the Cokes. It must have been the ice cream.) I think next time, if we want to run a race at the beach, we will try to schedule it at the beginning of our vacation instead of the end.

The overall winner of the race, who finished a full 2 minutes ahead of the second place runner, was Zola Pieterse (nee Zola Budd) from Marion, SC. If you have a good memory and were keeping up with sports back then, you might remember the teenaged Zola representing the UK in the 1984 Olympics. She was famous for running her events barefooted. Her big 3000m race ended in controversy when she collided with American champion and medal hopeful Mary Decker sending them both tumbling. Decker stayed down but Budd jumped up and could have still have won a Bronze, but thousands of people booed her from the stands so much that the young 17 year old slowed down and let the other runners pass her.

Zola didn't let anyone pass her this day. At 46 years old she is still phenomenal. Jodie didn't know who Zola Pieterse was until I told her. I pointed her out while we were waiting for the awards ceremony to begin. Once she learned who she had been racing against Jodie was kind of excited. After all, both she and the former Olympian left the race that day with a trophy that said “FIRST PLACE.”

After the race it was back to the hotel and out on the beach with Bo and Kay. The ocean was powerful today. It was almost more work than fun to try to play in the waves. As we packed our stuff up that afternoon it crossed my mind that there would be no more “beaching” for us this summer.

Last year, and the year before that too, we had vowed not to go to the Giant Crab, because we always eat too much, but we ended up going anyway. Once again, the siren song of the crab leggs was just too much for us to resist. We got there early with an early bird discount coupon, and as predicted, ate entirely too much. We were disappointed that there was no photographer at the door. We have a big collection of pictures from many years of going to the Giant Crab, but there will be no memento from 2012.

We ended our last evening with a time-honored Myrtle Beach activity, miniature golf. Among the many choices of venue, we chose Mutiny Bay. The pirate show was fun to watch as every 15 minutes or so the ship and the fort exchange cannon fire. Eventually the fort bursts into flames. Competition was fierce between me and Bo, and after 36 holes we ended up in a dead even tie. The way I look at it. that tie score is all the more reason to have our friends join us at the beach again, as me and Bo have some “unsettled business.”

The next morning Jodie and I went for separate runs. I didn’t much feel like running, but the disappointment of yesterdays miserable performance and the “giant crab guilt” compelled me to try to get at least a little exercise in.

Back at the room it was time to pack up and leave. I think Emmy's description of this time as a day when smiles don't quite reach the eyes is perfect. We were happy to have had a great week and lots of fun times with our friends, but no one is ever excited about getting on the elevator with a full luggage cart and having to push the DOWN button.

We waved goodbye to Bo and Kay and checked out of The Prince. Our plans to go to the Gospel Brunch at House of Blues changed at the last minute when our daughter Kayla telephoned telling us that we had friends in Wilmington who wanted to have lunch with us that day. These are good friends and we had not seen them in a couple of months, so we were happy to forgo the House of Blues for lunch in Wilmington. It was a little odd though, to meet them for lunch so far away when back home our houses aren't more than a few hundred yards apart. You can actually see their property from our property. After lunch we went by Walmart to get some groceries for Kayla. Then we finally headed for home.

Usually, our beach vacations bounce quickly from one activity to the next. We have down time, but the down time is just to rest up for the next adventure. There is so much to do at Myrtle Beach and the surrounding communities. Its like an all-you-can-eat buffet of adventure. But just like at the buffet at the Giant Crab, its easy to over indulge. We have driven home a few times with sore muscles to remind us of all the fun we had. This time our vacation emphasis was more on relaxation and less on recreation. We did plenty of activities, but this trip was more tame than some we have taken in the past. While there is nothing wrong about relaxing, or “beaching” all day, next time I expect we might reintroduce some more adventure into our plans Maybe we will get to ride on that air boat, or maybe we can conquer that ropes course at Broadway. And if we want to do something fun, that will make for a great story to tell when we're old... there's always that bridge in Conway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 pm 

What a GREAT report!! I seriously enjoyed your writing :wink: ...
"No one is ever excited about getting on the elevator with a full luggage cart and having to push the DOWN button." What a perfect analogy!

So glad you had such a fantastic trip!! Thanks again for taking the time to write!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:06 am 

I really enjoyed reading your trip report....I too know the feeling of pushing that elevator "down" button and heading to the car with our luggage. Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Bill, I came across this site while searching something entirely different. Thought you would enjoy the beach music:

http://radio.cashboxmagazine.com/Countd ... downs.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 am 

Thank you Patrish. I do like beach music and 'fessa John Hook. It was thoughtful of you to remember me. I hope one day Jodie and I will make it to a meet up.