Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:12 am 

Ok, I didn’t fall off a pier. I just got caught up in the last few days of vacation and was having a hard time keeping up with downloading pics and writing my trip report so I waited until I got home to finish. Here is the rest of the report…..

Day four

Got up and went to Toffinos. We both had an egg and cheese sandwich. His on whole wheat and mine on a toasted kaiser roll. They were fantastic. The egg was light and fluffy and the cheese was generous and gooey. It was a beautiful morning to sit outside with the pup and enjoy our sandwiches and coffee. After breakfast we headed over to the barc park. It was Angel's first time at an off leash park and she LOVED it. She ran with the big dogs and played in the water. She also got lots of attention for other owners which she loves. She just took off after the other dogs and could not have cared less whether we were around or not. The other dogs weren't aggressive, but some were very big and played rough. We were a little nervous about her getting hurt so we didn't stay long.

After our outing someone was wiped out so we just went back to the room to hang out for a while and see what the kids were up to. They spent the morning at Broadway at the Beach and lunch at Margaritaville. We decided we should eat a light lunch so we headed up to another dog friendly restaurant, The Patio Cafe & Bar. We sat outside under the umbrellas with a beautiful view across the street of the ocean. The weather was perfect, warm with a breeze...just like it's been all week. I had a large salad and husband had chili. The kids met up with us there and we just hung out for a bit.

We wanted to do an early dinner so we made a quick trip down to the beach with just our towels and umbrella. Only stayed out about an hour and then up to the room to clean up for dinner. I mentioned that we wanted to go early, but didn't end up heading out until around 6:30. We decided we were going to try Hannah Banana and got a bit lost because we took the turn to go to Murrells Inlet even though our GPS was saying we should keep going and turn right. We ended up following the GPS's instructions which led us right to someone’s home. Turned around in a gated community and luckily there was a nice guard there who pointed us in the right direction. It was a beautiful setting, sitting outside under the big tree, looking at the water and watching the sun go down. Band of the Run was playing and they were very good and a lot of fun. Son had the jerk chicken sandwich. GF had fish tacos and husband and I both had a plate with tuna salad and potato salad. All the food was excellent.

Got back to the resort and it was extremely windy and kind of chilly so we had the kids watch the pup and we sat in the large outdoor hot tub and then called it a night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:03 am 

Day Five (final day) :cry:

The day started out the way the last day always starts, with me at the front desk asking if we can stay another night. We were going to have to move and downgrade (which wasn’t a problem), but the rate was significantly higher and we knew we were just putting off the inevitable so we decided to just stick with the original plan to leave Friday.

Got up and took the dog for a walk enjoying another gorgeous sunrise. I think I took about 50 sunrise pictures this week.

We enjoyed Toffinos so much we decided to go there again and take the kids. It was egg sandwiches all around and everyone loved them. (I am craving one now as I type this.) After breakfast we drove through the Market Common and then another quick trip to the barc park to let Angel run. Went back to the room to clean up a bit and then set off for Pawley’s Island. Went to some shops and then a light lunch at Pawley’s Island Tavern. This was a cute little place with a nice outdoor area where we could eat with the pup. If you are planning a trip there, make sure you check out their directions because it’s a little tricky to find. Husband and I split the grouper fingers which were good, but it was a small portion. The kids split an order of PIT fries. They were some kind of fries with chili, bacon and pimento cheese. They were tasty.

We went back to the resort, loaded up the gear and headed down to the beach for the last time. Stayed until about 7 and then walked up to Mako’s for dinner. We had nachos and chicken fingers. It was all great as usual. After dinner we walked on the beach for a bit and then back up to the room for the depressing job of packing to go home.

Trip Home

Got up and saw the kids off at 6:30. They were making the trip home in one day. Took the dog down to the beach for the last time and said my tearful goodbyes to the sea. Loaded up the car and on the way out saw this and we all know what that means. On the way down the pup was kind of nervous and spent the whole trip on my lap. After a relaxing week at the beach I looked in the back seat about five minutes after we left to find this. Had an uneventful drive to Princeton, WV where we spent the night. This was about the halfway point between MB and Cincinnati. In all of our trips we have not had a stay over that we have enjoyed very much so I had to mention this one. We stayed at the Days Inn because we had the dog and were not expecting much but very pleasantly surprised. The room was very nice and clean. There were several restaurants within walking distance; Texas Steakhouse and Saloon, Applebees, Bob Evans, Hardees, Wendy’s, Crackerbarrel and several more just a short drive away. We had to eat in the room because of the pup so we got take out from Texas Steakhouse that was very good. Had a leisurely drive home the next day.

Some final thoughts:

- September is the PERFECT time to go to the beach. The weather could not have been more perfect and there was no stress driving or fighting crowds.
- Traveling with a dog takes some creativity, but makes for new adventures.
- SPF 15 is not enough even in September
- GPSs don’t know what they are doing at Myrtle Beach so they just make stuff up and then excited exclaim that you are “arriving at destination” even though you are at an empty field.
- No matter how long you stay, you always want one more day.
- The people on this message board are the best around! Thank you all for helping make our stay wonderful.
- I already miss this

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:37 am 

I enjoyed your report. I especially like your last picture. The old saying is that a picture is worth a thousand words, but a thousand words would only begin to convey all that is contained in that simple image.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Heidi, I loved your trip report. I must confess to going through your photo album before I finished reading the entire trip report.

I was delighted to see so many photos of places I knew at a glance. The majority of people will recognize landmarks, but I had to grin when I saw the Barc Park, PIT, Hannah Banana and the newly remodeled Toffinos. We live just stone's throw from Toffino's but have not visited since they remodeled. They have a very good bakery and those voices in my head tell me I can't leave without something sweet and sinful.

Thanks again. I'm glad the board and my pet page were a help to you. That's why we're here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:41 pm 

Loved your trip report and loved your pictures. Your dog is adorable!!
Angela

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:23 pm 

Your report made me smile. Loved it! Thanks for sharing.