Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:52 pm 

Left Ohio about 7 and went to Panera for breakfast so we could sit outside with the dog. It was pouring rain, but we were determined to have a great day and just excited to be on the road. Rained the whole day and then got stuck in traffic that was at a dead stop on I-64 for an hour. Never did figure out why. Got through that and we were on our way. Got to our hotel and found out a storm had gone through and they had no power. No big deal... well except we were on the 4th floor and no emergency lights so the stairwells were completely dark. Pretty sure that is against code. :???:

Trying to look on the bright side of everything. Yes there was a backup on the road, but we weren't in the accident. Yes the power was out but we missed the storm that blew through before we got there. These little things make the trip interesting and if you have the right attitude, it's all good! When you're heading to the beach nothing can get you down! On the way home I might have a completely different view. :roll:

Can't check in until later tomorrow, but plan to leave early just so we can get down there and hang out at the beach! Our son and girl friend will be leaving tomorrow and driving the whole 12 hour trip tomorrow. We will check in and get their room ready, but we won't be able to really relax and enjoy ourselves until they get there.

We can't wait though. Sleep tonight may be non-existent! :hello: Will try to post each day if wifi is working.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Admin

Hope this will be a fantastic vacation for you and your family, Heidi! We had rain off and on yesterday....some real gully washers followed by sun and high humidity, followed by rain and repeat! nLooking forward to hearing more about your vacation!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:26 pm 

Heidi,
We had rain a couple of days and just used those days for shopping and hanging out with one another. Looking back, it probably slowed us down a little more and really gave us a reason to spend more time together. Not a bad exchange for rain!
Enjoy your vacation!
P.S. Being a dog lover and have three of our own, (4 if you count the one outside), what kind of pup do you have?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:36 pm 

Heidi..... We live in SW Ohio, also. Near Trenton. We will be leaving on 9/21 and driving straight thru :cry: . I am not looking forward to that but my son...the greasy steel haulin' truck driver, is used to driving so I am leaving it all in his capable hands. :nanner:
Looking forward to more of your live report. Hope you have great weather and a wonderful trip!!

Brenda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:40 pm 

I am so excited to see a new trip report today and look forward to enjoying our beloved MB through your posts. I hope you don't see anymore rain for the rest of the wk. Have Fun!!! :sunny:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:10 am 

Thanks Patrish. Can't tell you how much your Pet page has helped us with our planning and of course this whole site and everyone here!

MFF, this is a great place for dog lovers as almost everyone staying here has one. Our pup is a 6 month old Frenchton (half Boston Terrier, half Friench Bulldog). She's a stinker, but also a complete joy.

BJ, we live near you in Fairfield! Our son lives in downtown KC and made great time getting here. If you have someone who is used to drving, you'll be fine doing it in a day.

Thanks KYW! So far the weather for the week looks great!

Day 1
I told my husband that we had less than a four hour drive to MB from Winston-Salem so we should just sleep in and get up when we feel like it. I'm pretty sure I could hear his eyes rolling when I was in shower at four a.m. How can you sleep in when you are so close!

The weather yesterday was beautiful and we had a great drive (except for the goofy things our Garmin made us do.) Got into town about noon. Ok, is it just me or does anyone else cry when they get their first glimpse of the ocean? I'm always excited to see it, but it's been so long that this time I was really overwhelmed.

It was too early to check in so first on my list of pet friendly restaurants to try was Ocreanfront Bar and Grill on the boardwalk. Sat outside looking at the ocean and sharing an order of grouper fingers and a couple of beers. It was amazing. The weather could not have been more perfect and the food was great. I told my husband "It doesn't get any better than this", but apparently it does because that was only one of many times I uttered that yesterday. They were very accommodating to the dog and brought her a container of water. Our bill was $18.50.

After our leisurely lunch we decided to head to the hotel and see if we could check in. We had two rooms reserved, one for us and one for our son and his girlfriend. It was about 2:00 and our room was ready, but our son's was not. They let us get our room and do the paperwork for his, then they called us when his room was ready, I will post more about the resort in the hotel section, but we were really pleased with it. I was not expecting much since it was pet friendly but it is very nice and the views are gorgeous. We were able to grab a cart and haul what seemed to be our life's possessions in from the parking lot right in front. It was much easier than when the lot is across the street. Maybe it was just easier because I had to stay up in the room with the dog while my husband did all the hauling. :???:

We unpacked and just sat on the balcony for a while drinking in the view and counting our blessings. We even got to see several dolphins frolicking right out from the hotel. It was as if God created the perfect setting and I believe I cried again. After relaxing for a bit, we took the pup for her first walk on the beach. We were so excited to see how she would do in the ocean and she loved it! She ran right in and was chasing the waves and hopping around. It was so much fun to watch.

My son had called a couple of times saying they were stuck in traffic and his gps was making them do goofy things too. We knew we wouldn't really relax until they got here. They left downtown Cincinnati around 6 a.m. so we figured best case would be around 6 p.m. We decided to kill some time so we walked a few doors down to Scooby's Bar & Grill where we sat outside with the pup. Our son called at 5:45 and said "Where are you? We're in the parking lot." We ran back to the resort and got him settled.

We thought we might try to go somewhere to eat, but we were all tired and no one wanted to leave the balcony so we ordered California Pizza. We had a magherita pizza that was awesome! Another walk on the beach, more balcony sitting (where I may have cried again) and then finally to bed looking forward to getting up an enjoying another day!

I'll post the adventures of Day 2 hopefully with less crying.

I will try to posts pics when I have the time to upload them, but you can see my live posts and pics here

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Admin

The pup is cute as can be! I've always said two of my favorite sights on the beach are young children and dogs. They are both so uninhibited at the beach that I can't help but smile.

Thanks for the links.....nice view from your balcony. Hope the room(s) are good. Ocean Park is one of several accommodations now being run by Oceana...whether leased or purchased, I don't know.

I know you'll relax now that your son and GF have arrived safely. It's 7:30 AM as I type this, and I see the weather will be sunny and 80 today. Enjoy the beach and use plenty of sunscreen! :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:39 am 

Got up and took a walk on the beach. It's amazing how far you can walk and not even feel it. Coming home we were like "we sure walked a heck of a long way!" The sunrise today was gorgeous! Came back and headed down to the beach to make camp for the day. Son came down while the GF was resting and we had a great time on the beach playing in the surf with the pup and digging in the sand. Started getting hungry around noon so we left the dog with our son and walked south a few resorts to a bar & grill called Mako's which is attached to The Reef. We split a flounder basket which was great. The setting there is beautiful, on a deck overlooking the resort pool and ocean. They said it would be okay to bring the pup up since it was slow this time of year. I walked down and got the kids and pup and brought them back. They had chicken nachos which were the best nachos I've ever had. Someone started getting sleepy so we headed back to the room for a nap.

After resting up we took showers and headed to the boardwalk hoping to eat dinner again at the Oceanfront Bar and Grill and watch our Bengals on Monday Night Football. We had to wait to grab a picnic table outside so we got some drinks and waited for someone to leave. We finally got a table, but no one ever waited on us. After about a half hour we decided to leave and go back to Mako's. We had another fantastic meal there and great company from the waitress, Brittany who loves our pup. This place was a real find and I would suggest that anyone who is staying around here give it a try. After a late dinner we took a short walk on the beach and then back up to the room to watch the end of a rather disappointing Bengals game.

Looks like another beautiful day today. Think I'll get out there now and enjoy it! :sunny:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:14 am 

Great report, especially on all the pet-friendly fun ! Really appreciate you posting so many pics of the resort.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:04 am 

Day Three

One of the good things about traveling with a dog is they don't let you sleep in so you don't miss out on things like this. We headed down to the beach just as it was getting light. I wanted to catch the sunrise so we just sat down in the sand and waited. It was so peaceful. I wish I could do this every day of my life. It renews my soul.

Went back up to the room to put on walking clothes and then headed out for our morning walk on the beach. If it weren't for the pup getting tired, we could walk for hours I think. It just does not feel like exercising when you are doing it in such a beautiful setting.

After our walk we showered and put on real clothes, real shoes and headed to Broadway at the Beach while the kids watched the pup. It was so nice being there when it wasn't crowded and the weather was just perfect. Walked around for a while and then had lunch at Margaritaville. I don't think the food there is anything special, but I just like the atmosphere. I had vegetarian quesadillas and my husband had volcano chilli and a side salad. It was all very good. I had plans to take pictures of all of our meals to post, but I have some kind of mental block because without fail I am half way through with my dinner when I exclaim "I forgot to take a picture again!" Maybe I'm just too excited when my food comes, lol.

Stopped at a couple of beach shops on the way home. Got back to the resort and walked next door to an outdoor bar & grill called Nassau Ned's. Asked if we could have the pup there and they said it would be fine. Their menu was rather limited and they were going to close around 5 so that wasn't going to be a dinner option.

Went home, put on out suits and headed down to the chairs and umbrella the kids abandoned when they went up to the room to rest. Hung out on the beach for a while and then the kids brought the pup down and went off to do their own thing. We didn't feel like driving anywhere so, you guessed it, we went to Mako's again. I told you we were boring, but when we find a place that is convenient, will take the dog and has great food it's hard to pass it up. I decided I needed something healthy (or at least unfried!) so I had a side salad and husband had a cheese pizza that he shared with our son when he and the GF came over to meet us. I finally remembered to take pics!

We ran into a bit of a crisis when our son discovered his license is missing. It was wrapped in some cash in his pocket and must have fallen out. We have checked with all the places he has been as well as all of the nearby resorts, but it has not been turned in. My guess is that some young person now has a new fake ID. We've called the DMV here as well as home and basically nothing can be done until we get home and can go in with the proper documents. Looking on the bright side, hopefully this will cause our son to drive extra carefully on the way home.

After dinner we went back to the room and son played guitar while I sat on the balcony making a phone call home and watching UFOs. They didn't believe me until Google proved that I wasn't crazy (well at least not about this).

OK if you're getting bored with this tomorrow we plan to head to Murrells Inlet and eat somewhere new!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:56 am 

Trip reports never ever bore me....Can't wait for more :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm 

Such fun!!! Your puppy is the most adorable little lady!! Thanks for taking the time to post!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

That shot of the pup with sand all over her mouth reminds me of our grandson at age 1.5. He pooped sand for the next couple days, so watch out! LOL!

Just figured out how to view your Myrtle Beach 2012 photos on flickr. GREAT shots! And loving your trip report!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:16 pm 

Great report and pictures. I love the one of the puppy sleeping on a shoulder. Too cute.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:17 pm 

Enjoying the trip report so far!