Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 pm 

Monday, September 10
On this trip, it's me (Lia, 26), my mother and my father. My aunt and uncle are coming up on Saturday. I believe my cousin is joining us for a couple of days as well. :hello:

We made plans to leave at 7am, but of course that never happens: someone forgets to bring a bag from upstairs, someone forgets their toothbrush, Did we turn the computer off? Where are my reading glasses? etc. And somehow every year, despite making an oath to pack lighter, whatever we don't have room for in the trunk is piled up next to me in the backseat. :roll: We made it out of the driveway around 7:45am and it was onward to Myrtle Beach! :sunny: We headed to McDonald's near our house to eat some breakfast. We stopped the first time around 10:30am to use the bathroom and get a snack. We stopped 2 hours later to stretch our legs again and grab a bite for lunch. All in all the trip took about 8 (looooong) hours. Like always, we had a couple of close calls with the crazy drivers on the road. Why do people think they're capable of operating a vehicle while texting. It just blows my mind. :BandHead:

We arrived to our condo at Carolina Winds around 4:30pm. The weather is beautiful and I hope it continues to be. My parents have owned their condo for 15+ years and rent it out during the year. We grabbed a cart, loaded it up and went up to our room. My parents unloaded the cart while I ran over to the guestbook to see what people had written. Oops! The condo wasn't in too bad of shape. It wasn't excellent, but it certainly wasn't the worst we've seen. The screen door to the balcony was broken and off the track and two of the remotes are missing their backs. One of our huge shell lamps in the living room was either broken and thrown away, or stolen. The furniture was completely moved around so that took a little time getting everything back to "normal." I will never understand why people move the furniture around. I'm guessing it's more accommodating for what a renter wants, but at least have the courtesy of moving it back when you are leaving. :dontknow:

We ate at California Dreaming for dinner. You can read about our experience here.

I only managed to take one picture today and that was of the view from our balcony.

Hopefully tomorrow we'll be able to get out to the beach for a little bit. To be continued...

Last edited by Sun Waves Sand on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Lia, thanks for taking time to write a trip report while on vacation! The view from your balcony looks great! :cool: Hopefully the weather will remain good for you. Sorry about your rearranged condo. I know this happens often with people who rent their MB condo throughout the year. I hope you and your parents will not have to spend a lot of vacation time fixing things up.

Thanks, too, for adding your restaurant experience in the restaurant section.

Enjoy the beach, and we'll be looking forward to your next installment!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:51 pm 

Very nice report but do we have to jump to next month
so fast lol 10/10 ????? A typo I think..... :sunny:

Thank you and love your report.....

Last edited by beady on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm 

beady wrote:
Very nice report but do we have to jump to next month
so fast lol 10/10 ????? A typo I think..... :sunny:

Ooops! The typos have been fixed. It was the 10th day of the month so I guess my brain just rolled with the 10s.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:32 am 

Tuesday, September 11th
My parents' day started out quite early with a deep cleaning of the condo. They repaired numerous items in the condo. I think they decided to get some new furniture, lamps, and other odds and ends to refresh the place. It's a shame that my parents work all year to come down to the ocean and spend the first two days cleaning and repairing things. My mom made a vow to herself that her vacation will officially start tomorrow and today is the last day she is cleaning anything! :whip2:

We planned on eating dinner at K&W right down the street, but the line was out the door when we pulled into the parking lot. :BandHead: We decided to try Rossi's instead and you can read about that here.

After dinner, we drove to Books-A-Million at the Myrtle Beach Mall to look around for a bit. Then it was off to Walmart to buy some new pillows, paper plates and cups, since most of them were broken and needed to be thrown away. Walmart wasn't too crowded at 8:30pm, so we were in and out pretty quickly. Before we headed back to the condo, we went to Ocean Dunes down the street for a Starbucks fix. :notworthy: If you like Passion Fruit lemonade, I suggest their Passion Fruit lemonade with two pumps of raspberry - it's addicting! We each picked up a treat for later (cheese danish, oatmeal raisin cookie and a chocolate brownie) and it was back to the condo for us.

To be continued...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 pm 

Enjoying your live report! I have to admit... on our vacation we rented a home and we moved a recliner to a place where the tv and kitchen could be seen, since I was in the kitchen most of the time and the tv is on if anyone is in the room...
BUT... we DID put it back where it was originally before leaving. Seemed like the polite thing to do. We also like to leave a place a little better than we found it (a trick we learned when fishing, we always pick up any litter near us and leave it a cleaner area than when we came), so we left a couple of large mixing bowls we had purchased because there was a lack of them for our use while there. We also left toilet paper, paper towels, and a small box of garbage bags for the next renter. (sometimes you get to your property before you've had a chance to go to the store... lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:57 pm 

myfamilysfirst wrote:
Enjoying your live report! I have to admit... on our vacation we rented a home and we moved a recliner to a place where the tv and kitchen could be seen, since I was in the kitchen most of the time and the tv is on if anyone is in the room...
BUT... we DID put it back where it was originally before leaving. Seemed like the polite thing to do. We also like to leave a place a little better than we found it (a trick we learned when fishing, we always pick up any litter near us and leave it a cleaner area than when we came), so we left a couple of large mixing bowls we had purchased because there was a lack of them for our use while there. We also left toilet paper, paper towels, and a small box of garbage bags for the next renter. (sometimes you get to your property before you've had a chance to go to the store... lol

Moving a chair to see the TV better is something I can understand! The people who stayed here before we came in moved around dressers and the dining room table, so we were a bit confused haha. We like to leave our place clean when we leave as well. Even though a cleaning crew comes in after us, we still pick up after ourselves. I love that you leave toiletries and other items for the next people. Hopefully those people will pay it forward and so on and so on :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 am 

Wednesday, September 12th
We started off the day eating breakfast on the balcony. The weather here has been so cool and breezy lately. I hope it continues for the rest of the time we're here! My parents left a little after 12pm to see about getting new carpet in the condo. A contractor came in and took measurements and I believer they're installing it sometime later this week. I am not looking forward to moving all the furniture onto the balcony and into the hallways. We received a bit of bad news today. My mother's uncle passed away, so she was on the phone all day talking to various family members about funeral arrangements.

Before dinner, we made a stop at Books-A-Million so I could pick up a couple of magazines. The man working at the register asked me if I had their members card. I said no, and he asked me why. I was a little caught off guard, mostly because I've never been asked that before. Usually the person at the register will just nod and finish the transaction. I told him that we were here on vacation, and that I don't think there were any stores near me. He asked where I lived, I said Maryland, and he proceeded to rattle off every store in the state. I was quite impressed! He asked where I usually bought my books. I told him initially I bought them at Borders, but after they went under, I went to Amazon. He told me that their books are actually $2-3 cheaper than Amazon. Hmm...I don't know if I believe that. I finished up my transaction and it was off to dinner!

For dinner, we ate at Empire Fire Mongolian Grill, which you can read about here.

We played mini-golf at Hawaiian Rumble after dinner. We haven't played this course in about 10 years, so we were pretty excited. It's so nice playing mini-golf at night and not having to worry about the heat and humidity. There was a nice breeze and the course wasn't too crowded, so we played through with no problems. I won the game tonight, beating my father by 4 strokes. My mother... well... she's not a huge fan of mini-golf and often smacks the ball too hard or not hard enough. We always joke that if there's a rock or obstacle in the way, she'll hit every one going down the course. My father and I each made 3 holes-in-one! After we finished golfing, we stopped to look at the parrots in the cages out on the porch at Hawaiian Rumble. I started to film one bird and he perked up and started bobbing up and down. At one point, he reached this hand out of the cage and tried to grab my camera with his claws. Yikes! I'm glad I managed to avoid that one! :lol:

To be continued...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:01 am 

Great report, love the dining reviews. I'm disappointed we didnt' get to California Dreaming this trip...but there's always next time.

I am sorry for your family's loss. I hope your Mom is still able to enjoy her vacation somewhat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm 

Edited - Sorry I posted twice this one did not appear so I figured it was not submitted. Refer to new post.

Last edited by beachlady on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:05 pm 

Thank you for the great trip report. I am really enjoying your restaurant reviews. Looking forward to your next installment. I have been reading your reports for a lot of years. I had to chuckle when you said you were headed to the K & W cafeteria one night only to find it too crowded. Your second choice that evening was Rossi's. Sounds like you had a great meal there for about 4 times what you would have paid at K&W. Was it four times as good? Just joking as it sounds as if it was a wonderful dining experience.
Judy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:42 pm 

I'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss. My prayers are with your mom and family. I can only imagine how difficult it is to try and be on vacation, remodel your condo, and then on top of all that, get that kind of news. I hope your mom is able to get some relaxation in.
I'm really enjoying your trip report also. Thanks again for doing it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 pm 

Lia, you mentioned the employee at Books A Million pushing the membership card. I spend a lot of time in the local (Sevierville, TN) BAM as a customer. I can tell you for a fact that a number of employees (now former employees) have lost their jobs for not pushing the membership cards. This has been a strong criteria for employees for quite a few years. Obviously the salesclerk that waited on you went to the extreme to try and persuade you to purchase a membership.
Judy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:41 pm 

sandym718 wrote:
Great report, love the dining reviews. I'm disappointed we didnt' get to California Dreaming this trip...but there's always next time. I am sorry for your family's loss. I hope your Mom is still able to enjoy her vacation somewhat.

Thank you! My aunt is coming down tomorrow and we took her to California Dreaming the first time last year and she loved it. She's been texting me all week telling me she's looking forward to the croissants lol.

Quote:
Your second choice that evening was Rossi's. Sounds like you had a great meal there for about 4 times what you would have paid at K&W. Was it four times as good? Just joking as it sounds as if it was a wonderful dining experience.

Haha yes! I think I forgot to mention that my mother saw what she thought were a couple of tour buses outside of the K&W, which is probably why the line was out the door. We were just tired and didn't feel like standing in line.

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss. My prayers are with your mom and family. I can only imagine how difficult it is to try and be on vacation, remodel your condo, and then on top of all that, get that kind of news. I hope your mom is able to get some relaxation in.

Thank you! Unfortunately, my mother had some bad news from her job that she has to deal with when she returns home. She's been running around like a chicken with its head cut off stressing out about everything. Thankfully, my aunt, uncle and cousin are coming up tomorrow so hopefully that will de-stress her a bit.

Quote:
Lia, you mentioned the employee at Books A Million pushing the membership card. I spend a lot of time in the local (Sevierville, TN) BAM as a customer. I can tell you for a fact that a number of employees (now former employees) have lost their jobs for not pushing the membership cards. This has been a strong criteria for employees for quite a few years. Obviously the salesclerk that waited on you went to the extreme to try and persuade you to purchase a membership.

I wasn't angry that he was pushing their card or anything. I was just shocked that he had memorized where all of their stores were! I have worked in retail before and we too were pressured by management and the higher ups to get people to sign for their credit cards. We were always told that if we didn't meant our credit goal, we could get hours deducted from the schedule. Unfortunately, I think this goes for many stores that have a pay-for-membership card or credit cards. It's really horrible how much pressure the associates are under.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:41 pm 

Thursday, September 13th
We didn't do much today except clean up the condo some more and make arrangements to have carpet put in. My mom and the woman who lives in the condo next to us helped my mom and dad put up new drapes in the living room. The old drapes were torn up and a lot of the lining was coming off due to being caught in the sliding glass door. We all ate a late lunch and decided it wasn't worth it to go out to dinner like we usually do.

Friday, September 14th
Another cleaning day, unfortunately. My dad vacuumed out all of the vent covers while my mom scrubbed the baseboards down. My parents and the husband and wife who life next door to our condo went out to Joe's Bar and Grill for dinner. They all enjoyed their meal. I opted to stay home while the "adults" enjoyed their time out. My mom stopped by K&W to pick me up something to eat for later. I don't know about you, but I love K&W. It's quick, hot, and is consistently good.

Tomorrow my aunt, uncle and cousin are driving down to spend the next week with us. They were staying a couple of floors up from us. We should have plenty of stuff to go out and do while they're here, so this trip report won't be boring anymore :)