Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:18 pm 

Saturday 8/18:

Drove the dog to the kennel, and then picked up my son's buddy on the way back. After a quick cleaning of the car, we left the Raleigh area at about 11AM. This year we decided to avoid I-95, and drove I-40 to Wilmington, and then took Rt 17 down to Cherry Grove for check-In. We made it in record time, around 2:30 PM.

This year we rented a 2 bedroom condo in the Crescent Beach area of North Myrtle Beach though Elliott Realty. Previous years we stayed at the Beach Club on Shore Drive, but I found the Elliott website, and it looked like I could get a nicer 2 bedroom condo at a better price, and that was certainly the case. We were in unit 508 of Crescent Towers II. Check-in was at Elliott's Cherry Grove office, and it was a bit nerve-wracking in the parking lot when we arrived at 2:30PM. The lot was a mad house, and there were folks out the door waiting to check in. I must say I was impressed with the staff's efficiency! I was walking out with my keys in about 15 minutes!

A 10 minute drive down Ocean Boulevard, and we found our condo at 27th Street. The condo was only about 5 minutes north of Barefoot Landing, and in excellent condition considering how late in the season it was. The condo was very clean, the only issues we had were that the carpeting could use a shampooing (to be expected at the end of August) and the tepid shower in the master bath. The furnishings were in very good condition, not worn or soiled. The TV's were older models, but that only seemed to be an issue with my Hubby :wink: The kitchen was nothing fancy, but was very clean, and well equipped. In addition there was a washer/dryer in the unit. This is a luxury we had not had at the Beach Resort, and now I am spoiled!

After checking out the condo, I left the boys with sodas and beer that we had picked up on the way down from check-in, and headed to the store for food. I ended up at the Bi-Lo on Main St in N Myrtle, and was impressed with the store. My only gripe was the deli counter didn't carry Boars Head. Other than that it was a great grocery! Unfortunately Neither the Bi-Lo nor the Kroger directly across the street had the Shandy I was looking for, so I decided we would hit Green's Beverage later that night.

My son and his Buddy (both 14 yrs old) decided that they needed to go to MagiQuest that night. Unfortunately my son forgot his wand in the condo, so we decided to just walk a bit, then have some dinner, and come back another time for their fill of fantasy adventure.

We ended up having dinner at Liberty Tap Room, one of our favorites. There was a 30 minute wait, but the hostess said we could be seated in the bar if we could find a table. With luck, there was an open table. The boys had cheese pizza which was 'okay', I had the Teriyaki Chicken which was very good, and my Husband had the Crab Cakes which he said were good as well. The seasonal beer was the Aiden Ale, a white beer with citrus and cardamon. Hubby enjoyed this, and ended up drinking it several times again during the week (I told you this was a favorite place!).

After dinner we drove up Kings Highway so I could find Green's Beverages. Alas, they close at 8PM, and my Shandy purchase was put off for another day.

Sunday 8/19:

Woke up early as usual and enjoyed coffee on the balcony, reading a book on my nook :icon_smile:

After a morning on the beach and pool, we had lunch in the condo. after lunch, the rain began :cry: torrential driving rain with blowing winds. Hubby and the boys wanted to chill out, and as we couldn't very well go anywhere, I decided to go shopping :mrgreen: I braved the rain and flooded roads (really!) and drove down to Tanger Outlets on 17. In all the years I have been going to Myrtle, this was the first time I had been to the Outlets. Since I am leaving next week on a business trip, I needed a few items, so I decided to take advantage of the bad weather.

After a successful excursion :mrgreen: , we ended up back at Broadway at the Beach at the insistence of the boys. At MagiQuest I set up my son's friend with a new Magi package, while hubby helped my son purchase time in the gift shop. After getting the boys settled, and cell phones checked, Hubby and I headed over to Margaritaville for a few beverages. :beerchug: After a few Margaritas, we decided to walk around a bit while waiting for the boys. Once the boys were done, we decided to try The Tilted Kilt for dinner.

I ended up having the French Dip sandwich, and the boys both had Shrimp baskets. Hubby had the Flannery Steak I believe. Everything was good, but I really did not get a good feeling about the restaurant as a whole. It seemed dirty and a bit run down, which surprised me since I thought this was a relatively new restaurant. Maybe this is the atmosphere they are going for, I kind of got got a biker bar vibe, but I could have been wrong. Not sure, but we may give this another try next time.

On the way out, I checked the hours for Green's, but found they were closed on Sundays. Drats!

Monday 8/20

Happy Anniversary! This was our 18th anniversary. Surprisingly (or not) I was up at 7 again, on the balcony with my cup of coffee and nook. After a morning run, I headed over to the Bi-Lo on 17 for some groceries. Lo and behold, in the beer singles cooler I found my elusive Shandy! Score!

After breakfast we spent the morning at the beach. Hubby was beginning to develop a migraine by lunch time, so he decided to spend the afternoon in the condo lying down. The boys had had enough sand and pool, so we cleaned up and took a drive over to Kroger to check out what was in stock at red box. our plan was to get the boys a pizza and some movies, while hubby and I went out for dinner at Greg Norman's. I had made the reservations the week before, and was excited to try this restaurant.

After picking up a few movies, the 3 of us puttered around at Barefoot landing, starting at the general store for sodas and letting the boys each pick out some candy to have during the week. They perused the t-shirt shops, and we checked out the Tiger Station, with a promise to my son's buddy that we would come back in the week so that he could see the tigers. After a bit of shopping, we headed back to the condo, just in time for the afternoon thundershower, so we chilled in the condo until it was time to get ready for our evening out.

We were about 45 minutes early, so we decided to walk around a bit, and ended up at the Carolina Winery. a delightful lady behind the counter started pouring tastes, and we left a bit poorer 30 minutes later :icon_smile: This is a nice place to go if you like sweeter wines, or fruit wines. I don't like either unfortunately, but I did find 3 fruit wines that had very low sugar content that were lovely, and would make good spritzers.

We headed over to Greg Normans in time for our reservation, and waited about 10 minutes I believe. We opted not to have an appetizer as they were almost entirely seafood based, and I am allergic. We ordered a bottle of wine to share, and nibbled on the bread that was brought to the table. YUM! It was a rustic italian peasant bread. If you have ever made the New York Times no-knead bread, this is exactly the same bread. If you haven't made it, go to Google and get the recipe. It's worth it! Hubby had the Porterhouse with a side of risotto. I had the Brisbane Filet with a side of grilled asparagus. Hubby's steak arrived and he pronounced it perfection. I tasted his risotto, and it was heavenly! Definitely a wonderful side, and worth the cost (!!??!!) Unfortunately when I cut into my steak it was raw. completely purple inside, instead of medium as I had ordered. Our server checked in on us quickly, and took the steak back to the kitchen, while I ate my asparagus, and Hubby dug into his steak. He did share a bit of his risotto.......... He was done with his steak by the time mine arrived back, but unfortunately this time the steak was medium rare. I ate the outsides of the steak, and left a good chunk behind, as our server was not back until after our plates were cleared. All in all it was not the best filet I have had, and given the additional $$ I really was not impressed by the quality of the steak or the quality of cooks in the kitchen. Determined to have a good ending, I ordered the Creme Brûlée for desert with a Kioki coffee, and hubby had the Bread Pudding and an Italian coffee. Both desserts were excellent, and we ended our evening on a happy note.

Tuesday 8/21

After breakfast the boys went to the pool while Hubby and I went to the beach. We decided to go out for lunch today, and headed down the Road to Molly Darcy's and got a table on the back deck overlooking the beach. Hubby had the Pub wrap which looked like corned beef and sauerkraut, I had the grilled chicken sandwich, while my son had mozzarella sticks and his buddy had chicken fingers. Hubby said the wrap was awesome, while my sandwich was quite bland despite the roasted red peppers on it. The chicken was not seasoned or marinated, and could really have benefitted from a bit of flavoring. The boys were both bothered by flies, and ended up not eating much, instead they took their sodas and sat on a lower deck on some adirandack chairs until we were done.

After lunch we headed back to Broadway at the beach so the boys could get in their last quests. MagiQuest was mobbed, and returning adventurers could not buy time at the gift shop like normal. They had to queue up with all the players buying new packages, which explained the incredible lines.

Hubby and I headed over to the Liberty Tap Room, and he had the Aiden Ale while I had a couple of glasses of wine :beerchug: . Hubby was enjoying the sports on the TV's so I opted to head over an have my annual visit to the Fresh Produce store :mrgreen: . When the boys were done, we wandered a bit, but decided to head back to Barefoot Landing for dinner. I was craving burgers, and talked them into dinner at River City Grill. YUM! the food made up for the decor. The restaurant was much smaller than I had though it would be, and I understand that it's part of the deal to have nut shells on the floor, and marker writing on every surface, but it still felt a bit grungy. Oh well. :roll: the burgers and fries were wonderful!

Wednesday 8/22

I headed out after coffee for another run to work off the cheeseburger from the night before. Today I was determined to get my fill of the beach! We went out in the morning, but the boys wanted to just go to the pool, while hubby and I headed to the beach. after lunch I announced we were going back out, and not puttering around town. about 3 PM we went back inside, but oh no! we were all burnt! After showering and aloe-ing everyone up, It started raining - again!

We waited a bit, eventually we headed out to Miyabi for dinner on Restaurant Row. What a lovely restaurant! the ceiling is convex, and painted like the night sky, shimmering with stars. We sat in the bar for about 15 - 20 minutes waiting for our table. Hubby and I and my son's friend had hibachi, while my son had a volcano roll, which was quite amazing to see. it was a shrimp based roll loaded with crab meat on top. Surprisingly, he ate every bite! Hubby had filet and Lobster, while I had Filet and Hibachi Chicken. My son's friend had the hibachi shrimp. Way too much food! My son's buddy took most of his dinner back with us, but my son's plate however looked like it was licked clean!

Thursday 8/23

As we were all uncomfortable from too much sun from the day before, we decided to come up with an alternative plan for the day. We had a leisurely morning in the condo, and headed out to have lunch out. The boys had some shopping they wanted to do at Broadway at the Beach, so we hopped into the car. After lunch at - yes - Liberty Tap Room :beerchug: (haha) After lunch we walked around the entire place looking for a specific t-shirt my son wanted. Shop after shop had the shirt he wanted, just not his size. and of course he wanted this very specific shirt! Ugh! finally after hitting almost every t-shirt shop at Broadway we ended up finding the shirt in his size. Crisis Averted!

We headed over to Kings Highway for a game of mini golf. We ended up at Spy Glass Adventure Golf, and had an excellent time. Most of these are better at night theming wise, but usually are too crowed then. We had a nice competitive (but not too competitive) game. We definitely did well to go early (3PM-ish) as halfway through we noticed the place was starting to get packed. As we headed back to the condo - yep! Rain! Again! After a few beverages in the condo, we changed and headed out to dinner to another perennial favorite - The House of Blues.

We arrived to a 20 minute wait, which was not bad at all for HOB. We headed into the bar, and ordered drinks, but heard our names called before we got them. It was easily 5 minutes waiting. The menu was completely new from our last time there, and I was excited to see that their jambalya was seafood free. Yeah Me! Hubby had the lobster mac and cheese, my son had cheese rigatoni, and his buddy decided on a side of mac and cheese so he would have room for dessert. As we placed our order for food, my husband asked for another beer. this was when a large table was seated across from us. That was pretty much the last time we saw our server. My husband waited at least 25 minutes until he got his drink. I sat with my glass empty for a good half hour before she stopped by again, and noticed it was empty. Our food was served by some runners, so again, no server. My jambalya was spicy, but the sausage texture was off. chewy and greasy at the same time. and everything tasted like it was cooked separately, then put together at the very end. I have to say, I was not impressed with the food this time around, and I was even less impressed by our server, who did not seem to be interested in our table, or getting us our check at the end of the meal. My husband ended up giving the folder with our bill and CC to a server walking by so we could just get out of there - 2 hrs later. I felt bad, but I while I did tip, I only tipped 10% - exactly to the cent. And I usually tip at least 20% as the norm. We are not sure if we'll be back, I think it depends if they change the menu.

It was still raining when we left, so we ended up not walking around, and went back to the condo.

Friday 8/24

Woke to rain. I made some coffee, and sat on the balcony until it picked up, and went back inside. By then my husband was up, and checking the weather channel :-( Rain all day........ we talked a while, and decided that we could either sit in the condo all day, or just pack it in, and go home a day early. As much as I hated it, I had to agree that it was the smart thing to do. The boys were still asleep, so I headed out for a last run up Ocean Boulevard before getting ready to leave. I forgot my iPod, and decided to just go without it. As I ran in the light rain I was so engrossed in my own misery, I ended up not paying attention to where I was, and running an extra 5 blocks.

We packed up, and while I cleaned out the kitchen and stripped beds, my husband packed up the car. We were on our way to the realty office by 11AM, turned in our keys and headed home. Traffic was light all the way home, and we were back in Raleigh by 3PM.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:05 pm 

I have enjoyed your report. Boy, you really had a lot of rain but seemed to keep busy despite the weather. It was also unfortunate that you couldn't hit any sales. I would have thought there would have been some considering it is the end of the summer season. It is a tough pill to swallow to leave early because of weather and we have made that choice ourselves in the past. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:06 pm 

Sounds like you had a great time despite the weather. We got lucky this year and stayed two weeks in June with only about a total of 30 minutes of rain the entire trip. Maybe next year the weather will be much better. Doesn't really matter though, I love MB rain or shine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 pm 

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. You did an amazing job of writing your report. Too bad about the weather but it sounds as if you still enjoyed your trip. Looking forward to your next report from Myrtle Beach. Wish we lived as close as you do. We are almost 8 hours away.
Judy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:33 am 

Thanks for your trip report. It's always nice to get an idea of what others do while in paradise! Sorry it rained so much.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:32 am 

Thank You all for the feedback!

Yes, we stayed busy. That's all me. My husband and the boys would be happy doing nothing all day long, but I am constantly trying to keep busy. Vacation is always a challenge to keep that right balance of laziness without boredom :icon_smile:

This is the first time we have been down and experienced this amount of rain. We moved to North Carolina in '06, and have been to Myrtle every summer since, so i guess it's to be expected that at sometime you are going to get rained out. I am sure the odds will be in our favor next year!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 am 

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!! Thanks for taking the time to share your trip!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:31 am 
Site Admin

I am so sorry you had to experience all that rain on your vacation!

Quote Inuzzo:
"I decided to go shopping"

LOL....this is always my first thought when the weather is too bad for the beach. I think women generally cope better than men when faced with nasty weather. :clown:

Glad you had a good experience with Elliott, and that your condo turned out to be a good choice. As you mentioned, many times the later season, the more problems our visitors encounter. I'm glad that did not happen to you!

I was disappointed to read about your experience at Greg Norman's. This is by no means an inexpensive restaurant, and they should not have charged you for the steak if they couldn't get it right the second time. I would have expected a more attentive waiter, too! I'm just say'n.....

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a trip report! It's much appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall