Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:42 pm 

In 9 hours we will be leaving for MYRTLE..................... :hello: I should already be in bed, but just finished packing and now...and now...I'm just sitting back and relaxing.
We will hit the road at 7:30/8:00 AM. so I need to get to bed shortly. I am going to try really hard to do a live report, no promises, but I'm going to try.
Can't wait to see my Myrtle again.. :nanner:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:39 pm 

HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOO MYRTLE!!!!!!!
Well, we are here. Traffic was great hardly any, even through Conway and we made great time. Gas prices are really fantastic down here too.
We tried to find 2 of River City Cafes in Myrtle, but when our GPS said we were there, we didn't see either of them, so we headed onto our hotel and checked right in. Traffic even on Atlantic Ave is great and very light. The Reef said their occupance rate tonight is only 35% compared to yesterday which was 95%, so I think we have the whole 8th floor to ourselves. Weather is beautiful, but the waves are up a bit.
After we unpacked we headed to surfside and found THAT River City Cafe with no problem. Burgers were great, but fries were lousy. We then headed to Food Lion to get our groceries and headed back to the hotel where I think we are in for the night. We are all tired and we are just going to sit on our big balcony and watch our beautiful Myrtle. She is just as spectular as I remember. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:44 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to let us follow you around during your trip. Always great to see a live report. :nanner: Have a great time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:57 pm 

Yay, live report!! Thanks for sharing, hope you have a fabulous time!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:52 pm 

Woke up Monday morning to partly sunny skies. We knew it was a pool/beach day. So after breakfast at the Plantation House of pancakes, (I had a cheese omelet and 2 pancakes, very good) we head back to the hotel to get ready for a sun day. Started at the pool....The Reef has a HUGE pool and PLENTY of chairs...no worries about chair hogs at the hotel. We sunned, swam, sunned, swam and then we went and walked the ocean and collected shells. No sharks teeth to be found, but today....we did see a shark..........but I'm getting ahead of myself here.
Came back up to the hotel around 2:30, took showers and had a couple of beers on the balcony and just watched the people. We watched one lady at our pool come out lilly white and leave looking like a lobster, I really felt bad for her.
We then head to Duffy's at 9924 Kings Highway for some good food, but that didn't happen.
The place was almost empty and that sent up alarms, but forward we went. I ordered the shrimp platter steamed).
They brought the food and the shrimp was good, not very hot, but it was pretty good. The cole slaw came in a to go condiment cup. I'm not kidding, it was that small. 2 bites and it was done...very disappointed in this place. We will not be going back....
Today, woke up and it was cloudy, then looked like it was clearing up. While looking out at the ocean we noticed a bunch of people (including the lifeguards) looking out into the water and there it was......a shark feeding on the fish. They did get people out of the water around that area for about 20 mins, but soon, no more sitings, so back the swimmers went.. This was our shopping day and the guys fishing day. So we dropped them off at the 2nd Ave pier and off we went to the Tanger outlet on 501.. Lots of places empty and not many sales.
I bought 1 tee and a butter spreader....that was it. It had started pouring about 45 mins after we got there, so we shopped some and then headed back to pick up the guys.
Dinner tonight is at Pier 14. Prime Rib special on Tues and Thurs. 2 Prime Rib for 28.00. I, of course, will be getting their stuffed flounder. It is the best.
Since it is still raining, we will probably just come back to the hotel and chill out. Watch a little TV and go to bed early. Tomorrow will hopefully be a better beach day!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:56 pm 

Pier 14 dinner was fantastic last night. We all decided to do the Prime Rib and it was wonderful PLUS..........we got there at 5:45 and got it as the early bird special, so it was only $13.00 for an 8 oz. We added a salad for $1.99 (which was a very nice size), and everything was great!!!
Today we woke up to better skies. The men went driving and again, (as everyone has reported), the car automatically turned into the Krispy Kreme donut shop when the hot sign was on....it's amazing the way that happens. So we had donuts for breakfast and then headed out to Calabash....
Drove down to Callahan’s and enjoyed a little shopping and then drove down a little further and bought 20 lbs of fresh shrimp for 3.50 a lb. with the heads on. They take the heads off after they weigh them, so we really ended up with about 12 and a half pounds. We took and froze them in water and they are just as good as fresh when you finally steam them. YUM!!!
We headed back to the hotel stopping at a couple of Eagles and/or Wings for floats for my pool, (never can remember one from the other, so really am not sure which ones we went to, then decided to play a round of putt putt, but the skies were starting to look ominous again, so we decided to delay putt putt until tomorrow and head on back. We were almost at the hotel when the heavens once again opened up and it rained hard for about an hour and a half. Finally let up some so we headed to Bennett’s Calabash for their buffet because Larry wanted steamed crab legs. I’m not a big fan of buffets, but this was the best way for him to get as much as he wanted and he did go back about 6 times for those crab legs. LOL Headed back to the hotel for the night. Oh, forgot to mention that again, fire alarm went off at 3:30 this morning. Warning message and alarm coming through a speaker in our room. Woke Mike and myself up, but Larry and Robin slept right through it. I got up, called the front desk to see if it was another false alarm, which it was and went back to bed after all the sirens stopped. The fire trucks were there within 7 mins. Front desk said something about when it rains these older hotels cause the alarms to go off and it’s not just our hotel. So glad to realize that other people in other older hotels all over Myrtle are being awoken up in the wee hours of the morning. Made me feel sooooooooooooo much better. LOL
Anyway, came back to the hotel and enjoyed a few adult beverages and settled in to wait and see if the fireworks were still a go, but nope, read on Facebook that they were cancelled due to the weather. They did say they were still planning on doing them on Saturday, so I guess that will be the last of them for the season…so disappointed that we didn’t get to watch them live.
Tomorrow is suppose to be a better day with sun returning and rain should all be gone by the afternoon into the weekend, so hopefully tomorrow will be a beach day.
Stay tuned for the weather report live tomorrow, but for now, I will say good night and go watch and listen to my Myrtle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:27 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for taking the time to write a live trip report. Sorry about the weather. As usual for summer in MB (even with parts of Issac blowing about) it can be sunny one place and raining in another only a few miles away.

We witnessed this yesterday. My friend Gail had an old girlfriend visiting her this week, getting ready to leave today. So in spite of the forecast we went to Brookgreen for lunch. When we arrived, the sun was shining. It stayed sunny for probably 2.5 hours...the time it took us to eat at the Pavilion Cafe and take a short walk to some of the highlights in Brookgreen. It continued to clear until I got home. I decided to go to Costco while the weather was cooperating, but no sooner than I turned onto 17 N, the rains came down in torrents. It was so heavy that many people pulled over to wait it out. This lasted about an hour. Then it cleared again. Not meaning to bore everyone to death, but this is so typical of summer in MB. We're hoping for a nice weekend, due to the Beach Boogie and BBQ!

Anyhow, didn't mean to hijack your report, but I really do hope today will produce some blue skies and sunny beach weather for you. It sounds like you are enjoying your vacation so far....looking forward to hearing more!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 pm 

Well, today was a much better day at Myrtle. Cloudy all day but NO rain, :nanner: Robin, Larry and Mike went to breakfast at Pan America and I stayed here and ate my left over custard filled chocolate donut..YUM!!!!
After they got back from breakfast and yet another trip to Wings/Eagles we went to Jungle Lagoon for some putt putt. This one has 2 different courses. We played the lagoon course and had so much fun, we did the jungle one. It only cost 7.50 with a $1.50 off coupon. (We used a lot of coupons). The second course only costs us $2.00 even though the sign said $4.00, but we didn’t argue with the lady. :lol:
After that we came back got our swim suits on and headed to the pool. Again, numerous sightings of sharks close to shore, so we stayed at the pool for a few hours , then came up and showered, dressed and went to dinner at Angelo’s. It was a buffet and I don’t really care for Italian, but I was out voted. I loved their salad and the bread was fantastic. I had a few meatballs and I was stuffed. Had two bowls of salad. So good!! Everyone in my party loved this place, so if you like Italian, I (as a lot of you have said about Angelo’s) it is highly recommended.
Came back to the hotel and decided to go on the beach and play a little corn hole. So off we go with our chairs, radio, cooler and corn hole game. Played several games then it started getting dark, but fortunately, this game has battery powered lights, so we were able to play a few more.
Now we are back at the hotel and just chilling out and getting ready for bed. We’ve had a great day and tomorrow is promising plenty of sun and highs around 90. (I won’t know how to act). So until tomorrow, Good night from Myrtle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:39 pm 

Well, this was our last day at Myrtle. We started the day by going back to Pan America/American, can't remember which is it and again I had a cheese omelet and pancakes. Of course, couldn't eat it all, but it was good.
Came back to the hotel and again...pool....and again, shark sightings, thus the pool again. :BandHead: We have a pool at home, so I really wanted to swim in Myrtle, but I'm just a scaredy cat. Stayed there all day but we did take a nice long walk on the beach and I found 2 good size sharks teeth. I was pretty proud of myself. Didn't realize they were black. LOL. After a walk on the beach (water was soooooooooooo warm) we went up to our room, had a few nice cold beers and then headed back to Pier 14 for the stuffed flounder that I didn't get on Tuesday. It wasn't quite as good as I remember it being, but it was still pretty good. On the way home we stopped at Piggly Wiggly because I wanted one of their long sleeve tee shirts, but all they had was short sleeved ones, so didn't get one. :mad:
Everyone has gone to bed, but I don't want my vacation to end, so I am staying up as long as possible to enjoy my Myrtle one last night.
Despite the rain, we've had a wonderful time and I've loved every minute of it. Tomorrow, we will leave out around 9 or 10 am and head back to reality... :cry:
I do want to just mention that I am saying major prayers for Ron and his whole family, especially his dad.
So that's it from Myrtle. It's been great and I will miss her very much. So goodnight everyone and goodbye Myrtle!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:55 am 

I have really enjoyed your live report, and took some notes for our trip in about 4 weeks. Pier 14 and Angelos have been added to our long list of places to try.

Great to hear that you found sharks teeth! :nanner: Once you spot them, they are a bit easier to find.

Have a safe trip back home!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:41 am 

I also enjoyed your trip report. Glad you were able to squeeze some beach time in with all the rain. Shark siting not good but shark's teeth awesome. They are still alluding me. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:56 pm 

Thanks Christine and Jan. I really enjoyed doing a live report...glad you enjoyed it also! Oh and you too Patrish!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:19 pm 

Thanks for sharing a live report. I know it is hard to find the time while in paradise :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:57 pm 

Thanks for writing a report. It really helps us all get a little feel of the beach between vacations. I know it's depressing to have to come back from the beach and return to the daily routines we have at home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:11 pm 

Loved your live report!!!! Thanks...these end of summer and early fall reports always help me get through the first few weeks of the school year... :sunny: