Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:21 pm 

Thursday I am almost embarrassed to say but what the heck... we went to the beach. It was going to be another gorgeous day and we were ready. I have to say we didn't have one drop of rain the entire week we were down. It was so great.

We found tons of sharks teeth and I even found another scallop. It was just great. Sy had been hanging with this guy and they met two girls so that occupied I'd say ALL of their day...lol. They had a blast.

After our Vitamin D quota and sandwiches on the beach we headed back to the house. A friend of ours dropped by and we visited for a while. He lives in Loris and has been such a blessing to us. He is our go to for all our "home repairs/local advice" we may need. He is another native of the Loris area and a wonderful guy.

My two guys wanted Giant Crab (you all knew that was coming) so off we went to have our fill of crab legs. The food was hot and fresh and I really enjoyed their salad bar. They have all kinds of Greek specialties like Feta, marinated olives etc. This is the crab leg buffet we return to time and time again. I believe it was like $24.00 with a coupon.

After dinner we waddled our way out and decided to pick up some more groceries for the next day and the drive home. Ahhh the ever present Food Lion on Highway 9 East. That store has been there as long as I can remember. We packed our cart with all the things necessary for the next two days and decided to just rent a movie and head on home.

We have a CVS right down the road from the house that has a Redbox rental so that works out great. I think we were all tired from the sun, food, and the general exhaustion that comes from pretty much just sitting around on the beach all day... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:17 pm 

That park looks gorgeous! What a find!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:43 pm 

Unbelievable report ! You should upload the e-Version to Amazon.... "Myrtle Beach Chronicles" !!!!! :nanner:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:42 pm 

Emmy, I am really enjoying your report. We will have to seek out the little park on our next trip. It looks like an ideal spot. Wow a whole week this time of year with no rain is indeed a blessing for beach lovers. What a wonderful relaxing holiday. Shark's teeth. Arggggg. I have yet to find one. Maybe I need to try my luck in Cheery Grove.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:22 pm 

Wonderful report.. The turtle and all the pics I loved.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:18 pm 

Emmy, thank you for sharing your trip with us. Your report is fantastic and the pictures are an added bonus. Curious about the park in the Cherry Grove area. We usually spend most of our time in the south end of Myrtle Beach and Surfside. We have been to Mary Star of the Sea on a number of occasions. It is a lovely Church, more like some of the Mission Churches in CA. I love the grounds and garden areas. Hoping we get to Hannah Banana's this October. Been wanting to try it out for a few years but just did not get around to it. Always enjoy your posts.

Judy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:44 am 

As always, enjoying your report and pics Emmy! We will have to investigate the location of that park and I really want to try Hannah Banana on our next trip.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:32 am 

Thank you all for the kind words and for reading along. There will be more today. Wait to you see what was driving along I95 on the way home :dontknow: :hysterical:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:31 pm 

I am back and it is now Friday the 17th of Aug. and it is our last day in our beloved beach town. This is a sad day. A day of smiles that don't quite reach the eyes. A day of humming a happy tune only to find out it's actually the 80's hit "Manic Monday." Ahhh heck you get the picture; we didn't want to leave.

So, what always makes us feel better? The beach by golly. So we packed the Dodge and headed off to another really nice day of "beaching it." I am enclosing a picture of some of the sharks teeth we found THIS trip. No, this isn't like 6 years worth. We found every single one of these this trips. So yes folks, they do exist, and yes there are sharks in them there waters :wink:

After another wonderful day doing what we do best; nothing, we knew it was time to head back to the house and start the packing ritual. Not fun and utterly distasteful. We tidied up the house threw in all the rest of the laundry. Paul and Sy took all the chairs, umbrellas, and beach paraphernalia we had been riding around with in the back of our car for the last week and hosed it all off and tucked it safely in our utility shed to be used hopefully again in Oct.

Dinner we wanted to be a bit special. So we all decided steaks at the Boundary House in Calabash was in order. It was fantastic!! We had gone last year and the acoustics were so loud it actually detracted from our meal. This time however we went at 5:00 and it wasn't full so the meal was really nice. Review and pic here
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6570&p=93054#p93054

After dinner we walked around Callahan's again and just took our time looking at all the different rooms. Such a great way to end the trip.

I wanted to go back to the ocean one last time to say "We'll see you soon" but Paul blatantly refused to take me. He said I always become hysterical when I go the the ocean on the last night. He didn't want me crying the rest of the evening because then I would get a headache and whine and he wanted a pleasant ride home. (Yeah, good luck with that.) Sooooo, no ocean for me. We headed home and loaded the car and tried to sleep a couple of hours.

We left by 3:00 am and it was a very long though uneventful ride home. While heading down I95, (please don't ask me where as the states become a blurr 20 minutes on that Interstate) we saw this...

A giant Turkey Hill Ice Cream Cow being pulled!! It was the greatest looking icon!! It made the trip a bit more pleasant and upbeat :lol: .

We arrived home after about 13 1/2 hours and it was a blessing! Thank you all for following us along on our vacation. We can't wait to head back and a big hug to you all for listening to my ramblings :cheerleader:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:05 pm 

Wonderful trip report - thanks for the photos!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:06 pm 

Thank you, thank you Emmy! It sounds like a wonderful trip. You found a goldmine in shark teeth for sure.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:56 pm 

Emmy,

Geee...why don't you just show all us dummies that can't find a sharks tooth up. :roll: I am certain I couldn't find one if it washed up in my hand. That is quiet a collection.

I am the same way about seeing the ocean for that last time. On the morning we leave Doug practically has to pull me off the balcony.

Great report. Thanks for sharing it with us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 pm 

Only park I know of up there would be at end of 53rd. Name should be on NMB Parks and Rec site.

Out through the channel houses and across small bridge to an "island". Been awhile since I've been up that way. Last I saw it you had a boat ramp and a couple small docks for fishing.

The "island" seems to be growing. Didn't seem that big the first time I came across it. First times there we were riding bikes. To the left or south of parking lot was wooded area with couple short trails leading out to sandy spots for fishing.

Last time there waas a new street running off the parking lot to the north and some massive beach houses being built.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 pm 

Bingo.....

Not the one I was thinking of. Must be something new they've put in.

Russell Burgess Park.

Turn north off of Sea Mountain onto Duffy Street.
Go to 36th.
Park should be on the left.

http://parks.nmb.us/pages.aspx?id=107

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:37 am 
Site Admin

Emmy, I just wanted to add to what others have said. We loved your trip report, and the photos that went along with it! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it, and for the links to your restaurant reviews. Thanks, too, for taking the time to get together with us while you were here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall