Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:30 am 

What a wonderful week at the beach with great weather! We cut our vacation short this year, but I'll explain that below.

Arrived on Sunday the 5th and went to church services at St. Phillip's Lutheran Church (always nice to start the vacation off with a visit to church). Checked into Monterey Bay early and spent the afternoon on the beach and at the pool. Dinner at Duffy Street Seafood Shack, followed by miniature golf at Treasure Island. Back to the hotel where we stayed in the pool on the 10th floor until nearly 11 pm. Our son starts college this week, so he had to stay up late each night and take on-line pre-classes in calculus and chemistry, which he began after getting back from the pool.

Monday was spent all day at either the pool or the beach, and the weather was perfect! Our 12 year old daughter picked many of our meals, so this was pizza night at Michael's pizza, followed by a trip to Broadway at the Beach for the evening. As with every day, it ended with a nice walk on the beach at night.

Tuesday morning was golf day, so A.J. and I got up early for 8:00 am tee times at River Oaks. It was really humid, and by the 3rd hole I had to take my glasses off because they kept fogging up. The course was in excellent shape, was challenging, and was very affordable (we'll definitely put it on the list to play again). It started raining during the last 4 holes, so that was a bummer, but we had fun. Back to the hotel for lunch and to wait-out the rain. By 2:30 pm, I just wanted to get out on the beach, so we went out in the rain. Within 10 minutes, it had cleared up and we had blue skies. We stayed on the beach until early evening, and by the time we got showers and were dressed for dinner, it was nearly 7:00 pm, which would put us in some long lines for dinner. Sarah decided that she wanted Mexican food, so we decided to try Salsaritas. The food was good, but it wasn't what we were expecting. It's a fast-food/ order at the counter kind of place and I just felt rushed. We played mini golf at Spyglass, and once again my son and wife beat me and my daughter. Stopped at Kirk's for ice cream on the way back to the hotel, and ate it while we walked on the beach.

Wednesday was our day to walk the Boardwalk. After a few hours on the beach, we drove downtown and had lunch on the boardwalk at Oceanfront Bar and Grill. Played arcade games at the Fun Plaza (I absolutely love the old-fashioned baseball games), shopped at the Gay Dolphin, and took some great pictures. Back to the hotel pool and the beach, where we once again stayed out until early evening. For dinner, our son wanted wings and to watch baseball on TV. We are HUGE Pittsburgh Pirate's fans, and we had not been able to watch them on TV for 5 days, so we decided to find a sports bar close to our hotel. Long-story-short, we ended up at Hooters. That would NOT be my first choice for a dinner out on vacation, but we had a great time. They set us up near a TV and put the game on for us. We all had wings and salads, and I had their "Daytona" wings which are grilled. I was surprised with how good they were! We stayed for over an hour and watched baseball. We then went back to the beach for a very long walk, and watched the 9:30 pm fireworks from the beach.

Thursday was our last day, and the weather was simply amazing. We literally spent 3 hours in the ocean in the morning. It was calm, warm, and amazingly clear. We could see the bottom through the waves! After a quick lunch, it was back on the beach where we spent another couple of hours floating in the waves. Our vacation ended the same way it started with another fabulous dinner at Duffy Street Seafood Shack, followed by miniature golf at Jungle Safari.

On Friday, we headed to Charleston, WV for a HUGE family weekend. On Saturday morning, we were invited to a luncheon where they honored scholarship winners. Our son gave a speech, and my parents were able to join us. It was very special. Then, we went to my parent's house and met my sister and her family so that we could celebrate our father's 80th birthday! And then Sunday was the biggest day of all! Our entire family went to my parent's church and then had a reception to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary! It was an overwhelming weekend, and well worth cutting our vacation short by a couple of days.

After all of that, we move our son into his dorm on Friday. What an August for us!

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 am 

WOW, Scott! Sounds like y'all had a blast both at MB and at your family weekend in WV. What a wonderful way to cap off a great time in MB by celebrating your dad's b'day and parents 50th anniversary. :wav:

Thanks for posting a trip report! I so need them right now! I can't wait until Danny & I get to come down to Monterey Bay next month. We both soooooo need a vacation. It has been a difficult year with all the health problems and I think a trip to MB is just what the doctor ordered for me and for Danny! :lol: :rastanana: :nanner: :rastanana:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 am 

Sounds like you had a wonderful busy week...vacation, birthdays, family, college. Thank you for sharing it all with us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Scott, thanks so much for your trip report! It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation, even if you had to cut it short. But family is important, as you know. So gland you had such a wonderful weekend in Charleston.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:36 pm 

Thanks for the report. Wow talk about a busy week. How wonderful to be able to celebrate 80 years and a 50th all at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:43 pm 

Scott, thank you for the great trip report. Always enjoy reading about your families adventures in Myrtle Beach. What a fantastic end to your vacation, two monumental family events. Best wishes to all involved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 pm 

Fantastic report! You know the water was really clear at Surfside during that week. We noticed it, as well. We, also, noticed at Surfside there was not a line of sharp shells to walk over as the water got deeper. I normally wear water shoes to go in the ocean( I am a wimp...I know it), but this year I went in barefoot.

You all had a lot of exciting things happening in short time frame... :hello:

Thank you for sharing...I enjoyed it all...worked all day in my classroom/prepping for the new year...so it was nice to come home and think about the beach!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 am 

Thanks for the great report and congratulations on all the family fun ! Certainly made the most of a week !